Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to preserve minnow

Options
  • 20-05-2012 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭

Il be going fishing on Wednesday to catch a good few minnow for trout fishing but when I put them in freezer they usually fall apart when I use them a few days later is there a better way to stop this happening

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

Sounds like they're being freezer burnt, do you rap them in anything when you freeze them?
    If not just stick a bit of tinfoil around each one, shouldnt get destroyed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Sounds like they're being freezer burnt, do you rap them in anything when you freeze them?
    If not just stick a bit of tinfoil around each one, shouldnt get destroyed then.
    I usually just put them into a sandwich bag and into the freezer

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭realrebel

I think if you salt them it helps but I don't know what kind of salt to use sorry

realrebel wrote: »

I think if you salt them it helps but I don't know what kind of salt to use sorry
    Thanks mate I heard vinegar myself

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭jodie85

God whatever you do don't freeze them the stomachs will fall out of them. leave them on newspaper for about a day and then put them in sea salt, or if you can dry them out in a greenhouse in the sun where they cannot be touched by cats or birds they will last also

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 689 ✭✭✭stylie

I thought minnow were protected ?

stylie wrote: »
    I thought minnow were protected ?
    No their not their actually one of the most abundant fish in Irish rivers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

Drop them into some Vodka and leave in the fridge. That will do the trick.

Stylie may have a point. Technically in Ireland I was led to believe that netting minnows or even trapping them in bottle traps is illegal. :rolleyes:

Republic of Ireland Angling Regulations

GENERAL FRESHWATER
    • The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line (Control of Fishing for Coarse Fish in Fresh Water Bye-law No. 595, 1977.).
    Now it would want to be some mental fisheries officer to have a problem with it but just FYI. I guess this may depend on if a minnow is a coarse fish under this bye law but as they are not salmon, trout, eels or pike they would probably get lumped in as coarse fish.

tin79 wrote: »
    Drop them into some Vodka and leave in the fridge. That will do the trick.

Stylie may have a point. Technically in Ireland I was led to believe that netting minnows or even trapping them in bottle traps is illegal. :rolleyes:

Republic of Ireland Angling Regulations

GENERAL FRESHWATER
    • The only legal method to catch freshwater fish is by rod and line (Control of Fishing for Coarse Fish in Fresh Water Bye-law No. 595, 1977.).
    Now it would want to be some mental fisheries officer to have a problem with it but just FYI. I guess this may depend on if a minnow is a coarse fish under this bye law but as they are not salmon, trout, eels or pike they would probably get lumped in as coarse fish.
    I catch them on rod and line usually within an hour if I find a shoal il have bout 40 maybe more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭tin79

If they were considered coarse fish you would be breaking the bye law if you kept more then 4 in a day. But its silly there should be defined species in the coarse fish bye laws (maybe there is) but I kinda get the impression that the IFI purposely left it vague.

I am not criticising BTW I net them myself the odd time and use them on the spot. Just pointing out the flaws in the bye law I guess.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thekevin4540

what i do is put them on news paper and put news paper on top let them dry out for a hour or two put them into a carton put rock salt or any salt in with them make sure thare all coverd put news paper under them and on top to dry out the water that comes out of them leave them for a day take out the water and news paper and you dont have to put them into the fridge or freezer just leave them i your bag and thay wount go of thay will keep for months

Far from it, their numbers are way down due to guys catching them and due to pollution. Fisheries officers and the guys caught told me this story, they had over 300 minnow in the back of the van from a river/lake in Kerry both told me independent of each other, bit of a fluke I happened to find out from both parties. There are few rivers in Cork now with any decent minnow population and Kerry is becoming the same.
    Also regarding pollution, I helped electro net a river a year after a slurry kill, it was an ongoing yearly survey. Small fish in the 1 year class inc minnow were gone where as the larger 2 yr and over class had some numbers and therefore had the ability to repopulate.
    So minnow are protected and with good reason.

I find that hard to believe considering rivers up here in Dublin are crawling with them

Well its the truth and people are breaking the regulations if they are catching them on mass for trout fishing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

First off from a personal point of view I wouldn'k kill a minnow to catch a trout. They are a cracking little fish and I'd sooner see them left alone. They have their own important place in the ecosystem.

I wouldn't go this far, they are sensitive to pressures like all other fish species.
    tin79 wrote: »
    If they were considered coarse fish you would be breaking the bye law if you kept more then 4 in a day. But its silly there should be defined species in the coarse fish bye laws (maybe there is) but I kinda get the impression that the IFI purposely left it vague.

Two things: IFI dont draught legislation, so don't leave it vague. Bad legislation often comes about when draughted by poeple that won't/don't take advice from those best placed to advise (Those who are charged with it's implementation).

stylie wrote: »
    Well its the truth and people are breaking the regulations if they are catching them on mass for trout fishing.

What regulations?

806 (CONSERVATION OF AND PROHIBITION OF SALE OF COARSE FISH) 2006. And 809 (CONSERVATION OF PIKE) 2006 both define Coarse fish as:

"Any freshwater fish other than Pike,Salmon,Trout,Eels or Minnow."

• Registered Users Posts: 519 ✭✭✭viper123

Just a little addition to this, and I can't find the legislation online but I've read on notice boards on rivers (i.e. St. Mullins) that no more than 20 deadbaits can be carried in person, and after the first four baits, the remaining 16 need to be purchased from an licenced source and proof via receipts are required to be carried.

i.e. no more than four course fish can be caught for bait, and no more than 20 baits in total including purchased ones.
    Also note that that sign did mention minnows specifically as well.

That fact that guys net and trap minnows is pretty much against regulations

AS much as I've not enjoyed readin posts about killing minnow again my question was how to preserve them
    And I've been givin the info I need from people that actually read the question so thanks to those that replied to the question I asked

AS much as I've not enjoyed readin posts about killing minnow again my question was how to preserve them
    And I've been givin the info I need from people that actually read the question so thanks to those that replied to the question I asked

It's like that is it? You don't think posters have any right to debate an issue? It's a discussion forum. Items are open for discussion.

Were you hoping to preserve minnow by not killing them?

Bizzum wrote: »

It's like that is it? You don't think posters have any right to debate an issue? It's a discussion forum. Items are open for discussion.

Were you hoping to preserve minnow by not killing them?
    It's not just a discussion forum it's also bout gettin advice aswell and my question was how to preserve them and I got my answer and there's minnow now in my shed in salt water so case is closed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 pollagh prince

couls i just ask, would stickleback or other types of small fish be any good?

Trout love sticklebacks, I have had trout spitting them out on occasions with recently dead in their mouth and half digested in their gullet. Had a trout on Corrib years ago with a live perch fry in his mouth and a couple of dead ones stuck in his gullet. Shows when they are on the feed they will be aggressive and take meals before even finishing the last one. I returned the perch :)

Why not! As stated Trout feed hard on Perch fry betimes, and Roach fry. Indeed many big Trout are caught (And released) by Pike anglers out of season on dead bait fishing for pike.
    Only this past weekend I heard of a 6lb Pike having a Stickleback in its stomach contents.

Why not! As stated Trout feed hard on Perch fry betimes, and Roach fry. Indeed many big Trout are caught (And released) by Pike anglers out of season on dead bait fishing for pike.
    Only this past weekend I heard of a 6lb Pike having a Stickleback in its stomach contents.
    So 6lb pike was killed?

So 6lb pike was killed?

Correct. The Pike was deceased when it's stomach contents were analysed.

Why was the pike killed tho?

The pike (2 in fact) were casualties from a Pike removal programme being carried out by fisheries staff. It was one of the fisheries chaps that told me about the contents of the stomach of both pike. One had a Stickleback the other had two Perch.
    Did you think I went on a killing spree and illegally killed a Pike above 50cm thus contravening Bye law 809 of 2006?

The pike (2 in fact) were casualties from a Pike removal programme being carried out by fisheries staff. It was one of the fisheries chaps that told me about the contents of the stomach of both pike. One had a Stickleback the other had two Perch.
    Did you think I went on a killing spree and illegally killed a Pike above 50cm thus contravening Bye law 809 of 2006?
    I hope not
    I hate hearing of pike bein killed no matter the size
    I fished the suck few year ago and found a pile in the reeds belly up dead probably day or two her stomach was proper full so my mate thought it great idea to open it up and see what was inside it
    Well the shock on our faces after opening it was priceless
    There was a roach hybrid in its stomach over 2 half lbs and we reckon the pike was over 15 lbs aswell
    Was told by a pike angler that knows his stuff that the roach may have been so big that the pile couldn't swim with it inside it and probably drowned happens a lot apparently

Advertisement