Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nearly finished build planning, can you look it over please?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭

Here's the link to my spreadsheet.

(Sorry if this turns out to be long, I'd appreciate advice on whatever you can help with)

Some of the notes on the right are just my thoughts, but you can see where I'm concerned about the parts. I'm planning on grabbing the same version of whatever graphics card I buy maybe this time next year just as a mini upgrade, which is why my motherboard supports dual graphics, and my PSU is a 650watt. Is this a worthwhile idea?

I'll be buying whenever I get the money together, so depending on when that is I was looking at getting a 670, if the price drops a bit.
    Do ya reckon a 650W would handle dual 670s with the rest?
    (also is there a huge real world difference between a nicely OCed 7850 and a stock gtx670?)

Any recommendations on a modular similar PSU? Not necessary but nice to have.

I have a 1680x1050 21", tempted to get the 24 with better resolution... Maybe a few months later.

Last thing I'm really overthinking is fans! (case and cpu heatsink). Do you reckon the 2 linked are ok? I want to keep noise down, while keeping cool)

And any general observations/suggestions really welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

I'd make a few small changes, but if you ordered that today it would be perfectly fine.

Item|Price
    Intel Core i5-2500K Box, LGA1155|€189.79
    Thermalright True Spirit 120|€23.84
    ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3, Sockel 1155, ATX|€115.25
    8GB-Kit G.Skill PC3-10667U CL9|€35.69
    MSI R7850 TwinFrozr 2GD5/OC, 2048MB DDR5, PCI-Express|€225.39
    Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")|€111.29
    WD Caviar Green 2TB Sata 6Gb/s|€102.99
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse DEFINE R3 Black Pearl|€93.11
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 650W|€70.94
    LG Flatron W2443T-PF|€135.66

-Cheaper RAM, no need for 1600MHz
    -Cheaper PSU. The corsair is technically modular, but just 4 optional cables is a joke really.
    -Crucial M4 is a much more reliable SSD
    -MSI TF II is more reliable and has a nicer cooler.
    -No real need for extra fans + a controller for the R3. However if you do want them I'd go for the Scythe Slipstreams instead. (Or Noctua P12/P14s if you really want to splash out)

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

deconduo wrote: »
    -Cheaper RAM, no need for 1600MHz
    -Cheaper PSU. The corsair is technically modular, but just 4 optional cables is a joke really.
    -Crucial M4 is a much more reliable SSD
    -MSI TF II is more reliable and has a nicer cooler.
    -No real need for extra fans + a controller for the R3. However if you do want them I'd go for the Scythe Slipstreams instead. (Or Noctua P12/P14s if you really want to splash out)

Cheers! Just have a few questions if ya don't mind.

I hadn't heard of Super Flower in any reviews or recommendations, so I was sort of avoiding them. Are they a decent brand/reliable?

I didn't know what the R3 fans were like, so I was playing it safe. It has a good few slots.

Good call on the rest though, I'll be changing them

Cheers! Just have a few questions if ya don't mind.

I hadn't heard of Super Flower in any reviews or recommendations, so I was sort of avoiding them. Are they a decent brand/reliable?

I didn't know what the R3 fans were like, so I was playing it safe. It has a good few slots.

SuperFlower do really nice PSUs. They just aren't available in the US so most people haven't heard of them.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/SuperFlower/SF-650P14PE/
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2643
    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=240

• Registered Users Posts: 12,466 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

Are Caviar greens ok for gaming or should he go for blue?

Skerries wrote: »
    Are Caviar greens ok for gaming or should he go for blue?

Seeing as there's a 128GB SSD in there I think he's fine for games :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I have an R3 and can tell you the fans are surprisingly good. They're very quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Incompetent

I have an R3 and can tell you the fans are surprisingly good. They're very quiet.

There's only two isn't there? If you're running stock, how do you find your temperatures?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

There's only two isn't there? If you're running stock, how do you find your temperatures?

Yeah you get two with the case but, I put five in mine. Quiet one's though.

Advertisement