Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Could a Star Fox/Metroid crossover work?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭

It's been rumoured that a Star Fox/Metroid crossover is under development at Retro Studios.

From IGN:
    With only 15 days until E3 2012, a rumor regarding Retro Studios' next game is beginning to spread. The same blog that broke news of PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale late last year, Paul Gale Network, is now reporting that Retro's Wii U game will actually be a crossover between the Star Fox and Metroid franchises. However, PGN is cautioning that even it is unsure about the validity of this information. In other words - reserve significant amounts of doubt for what you're about to read.

Apparently teams at Retro were split between working with the Star Fox franchise or developing a new third-person action game that also involved air combat. Nintendo proposed an alternative, which is now being called 'Star Fox - Metroid: Fusion Saga.'

The project's story is simple enough. During an intergalactic warp, Fox and his crew crash into Samus Aran's ship. Samus is sent crashing to an unknown planet below. Missions then unfold as Fox attempts to find Samus while she explores the world around her. Eventually the two Nintendo icons meet to confront Fox villain Andross, who is attempting to harness the power of the symbiotic Metroid creatures.

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2012/05/19/rumor-star-fox-and-metroid-teaming-up-on-wii-u

Unlikely to happen in my opinion as it would be difficult to reconcile the cartoon-esque universe of Star Fox with the dark lonely one of Metroid but nonetheless the possibilities do tantalise! Imagine Samus on the verge of losing to Ridley (sacrilege to say I know) when all of a sudden the Star Fox team appear and engage him in an aerial battle, Samus now having to mop up a team of Space Pirates!

Or Samus in her gunship joining Star Fox in a climatic battle against Andross. Instead of Fox firing nova bombs into Andross like at the end of Lylat Wars Samus must jump out of her ship, engage morph-ball mode and lay a few power bombs inside Andross!

You could have gameplay segments similar to the Blackbird missions in COD Black Ops where control is passed from Star Fox in the air to Samus on the ground.

I'm disappointed there has never been a worthy sequel to Lylat Wars, it was one of my favourites on the N64, and was disappointed at Metroid Other M. I would prefer 2 separate AAA titles but if this does go ahead I would put my faith in Retro to deliver the goods.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,517 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ridiculous idea. Sacrilegious, even.

It's like putting Mario and Sonic together and making them compete for Olympic gold.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Mario and Sonic competing? That's a crazy idea! Where would you even come up with something like that?

The Starfox Metroid idea basically sounds like 2 for the price of 1 as you apparently have the option of playing only as Samus or Fox, but you have to play both stories to complete the game as bulletpointed here
    http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/19/retros-new-game-to-be-star-fox-metroid-fusion-saga/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Defiler Of The Coffin

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Mario and Sonic competing? That's a crazy idea! Where would you even come up with something like that?

The Starfox Metroid idea basically sounds like 2 for the price of 1 as you apparently have the option of playing only as Samus or Fox, but you have to play both stories to complete the game as bulletpointed here
    http://mynintendonews.com/2012/05/19/retros-new-game-to-be-star-fox-metroid-fusion-saga/

That's fleshes it out a bit. It would certainly be a killer-app for me were it to be true.

As a Metroid fan though I'm slightly ambivalent towards the Metroid story merging with that of Star Fox, just seems a bit... weird. I wasn't a fan of the Other M telling the story of Samus in a team.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

Metroid is Metroid and Starfox is Starfox. That's the way it should stay. Fox McCloud (McLeod surely?) and his head-wrecking friends don't fit in the Metroid Universe.

Adyx wrote: »
    Fox McCloud (McLeod surely?) and his head-wrecking friends don't fit in the Metroid Universe.

Samus! Do a barrel roll!

• Advertisement

Samus! Do a barrel roll!
    Exactly! Metroid is a relatively serious game for the most part, Starfox, whilst not without its charms, is a more "cartoony" sort of game. It has anthropomorphic animals flying space ships for fcuks sake!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I hope this happens, because Retro Studios have this great ability to make doubters shut the hell up :pac:

Exactly! Metroid is a relatively serious game for the most part, Starfox, whilst not without its charms, is a more "cartoony" sort of game. It has anthropomorphic animals flying space ships for fcuks sake!

That's the problem I would have with it. It would lower the tone of and diminish the Metroid story. Samus would in effect be battling a giant space-monkey.

It would be like introducing an Adam Sandler character to a Godfather film. Maybe that's a bit harsh but you get the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

I'd prefer if they just concentrated on making a metroid worthy of the snes version. One of the best games ever imo. **** starfox.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I'd prefer if they just concentrated on making a metroid worthy of the snes version. One of the best games ever imo. **** starfox.

Metroid prime 1 was superb. I adore Metroid 3 on the snes quite alot but I consider Prime 1 just as good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

SNES & Prime Metroid were great games.

A crossover will only hurt the Metroid series...

I've learned when it comes to Nintendo, not just Retro, that I shouldn't underestimate them. It seems they know what I want more than I do. Remember Wind Waker and how everyone disliked the idea with the cartoony graphics? And now it's classed as one of the best games.
    True they have missteps.

But even if this Metroid/Starfox game is true, I will keep an open mind. Though I would prefer a new Prime type game.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,003 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

=Starfox, whilst not without its charms, is a more "cartoony" sort of game. It has anthropomorphic animals flying space ships for fcuks sake!

Nothing cartoony about this! Ever so slightly disturbing in fact.

tumblr_m45qgcmoVm1qb6aldo1_500.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Enough with the absurd crossovers.

I love(d) both series but this is the last thing either franchise needs.

Nah I think the last thing the games need is something like Samus turning into Kirby in morphball mode. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 167 ✭✭promethius42

Enough with the absurd crossovers.

I love(d) both series but this is the last thing either franchise needs.

Couldn't have put it better myself.

o1s1n wrote: »
    That is disturbing, yes. He's still a talking fox piloting a space craft though. Now while I wouldn't call Metroid gritty, in comparison Star Fox is cartoony in a way. (I'm desperately trying to avoid labelling it a children's game). It's not necessarily a bad thing and I love the SNES game (lack of speech ftw!) but there's no way they can shoe horn the Star Fox universe into the Metroid one. It'd be like putting Kirby into Cybernator or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,012 ✭✭✭BizzyC

I have an idea, Mario - Tomb Raider crossover!!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

o1s1n wrote: »

tumblr_m45qgcmoVm1qb6aldo1_500.png
    This is based on fact; there were fighter pilots in WWII who had lost their legs, got back in a plane and reported being able to fight *better*.

• Advertisement
Advertisement