Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian CV's / Resumes

Options
  • 20-05-2012 8:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭

Apologies if there have been other threads on this but had a quick look and couldn't see any....
    I'm preparing my CV to apply for jobs in Sydney.
    I've heard that CVs or Resumes as I believe they call them in Australia are generally really long - about 3-4 pages...I just want to check is this right in your experience? I know in Ireland we're always told to keep it really short to max 2 pages so don't want to add a load of info that's not required...I've got a lot of experience so would fill it if needed...I've googled etc but want to be sure this is consistent with what you've found..? Cheers....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Apologies if there have been other threads on this but had a quick look and couldn't see any....
    I'm preparing my CV to apply for jobs in Sydney.
    I've heard that CVs or Resumes as I believe they call them in Australia are generally really long - about 3-4 pages...I just want to check is this right in your experience? I know in Ireland we're always told to keep it really short to max 2 pages so don't want to add a load of info that's not required...I've got a lot of experience so would fill it if needed...I've googled etc but want to be sure this is consistent with what you've found..? Cheers....

Read this

http://www.livingin-australia.com/forum/archive/index.php/t-137.html

Anyway, keep your CV concise and to the point. You will be in direct competition with thousands of other WHV holders for work. Generally when employers get a heap of CV's they'll skim through them and pick out the best few, so..

You don't need to put in what you got for your junior/leaving cert. Only relevant details. Make it easy to read! Nothing worse then reading a CV which just has too much info and everything is squashed in the page! It doesn't need to be an essay. Just concise and to the point.

If you have had 10 jobs in two years for the love of god don't put them all down. This looks awful.

On a personal level I hate when people write a summary of all their personal attributes! The amount of CV's we received in the restaurant in work in which had people proclaim what hard workers, how talented, skilful, committed etc was ridiculous! Talk is cheap! Put down your RELEVANT skills, (being a really,really good worker is not a skill!) experience and your qualifications

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Bogwarryor

No, 2 to 3 pages max, they don't want your life story just the highlights.

Don't include referees, say they can be provided upon request - else agents will hound them for work.

Dont include age, nobody does that because of discrimination.

Hobbies - don't say reading / music / gym, everyone says that & its boring - think of something you do thats different.

Have a few CVs each tailored for the type of job you're after, highlight the key points in each work experience to make it sound relevant.

Bullet points at the top of your CV are helpful because there are 2 kinds of people who will read it - agents who dont have a clue & need it simple, & the employer who has alot of CVs to read & no time for jiba jaba :)

Dont be afraid to exaggerate, everyone does it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

I guess it's the industry.
    I was interviewing people for a java programming role recently and some had 10+years experience and they had 5 pages of a CV. To me this was fine, as he had 1 page personal details, 4 pages of his career, as he a few contracting roles.

if you are going through an agent, they will format it before sending it off anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭dodgylegs

www.seek.org.au
    www.careerone.com.au
    www.careers.curtin.edu.au

these give advice for cv writing in healthcare

Advertisement