Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canada: Visa- where to start?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi, we've finally made the decision to move our family to Canada. My husband is a carpenter and 35, I'm 36. We've 3 kids 2 of which are school going age. It's my husband who plans on working initially. The plan is for him to go out first for a few months sus things out etc & we'll follow on then. Based on that info can anyone tell me what sort of visas we'd require? It's all very early days but I'd like to get the ball rolling asap. Any info would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭NoelAPM

nic_nuff wrote: »
    Hi, we've finally made the decision to move our family to Canada. My husband is a carpenter and 35, I'm 36. We've 3 kids 2 of which are school going age. It's my husband who plans on working initially. The plan is for him to go out first for a few months sus things out etc & we'll follow on then. Based on that info can anyone tell me what sort of visas we'd require? It's all very early days but I'd like to get the ball rolling asap. Any info would be much appreciated.

Well the best option would be to find a job from Ireland in Canada! Not a hugely easy task but it would mean the employer would apply for an LMO lasting 1 to 4 years. After being there for a year or 2 it makes moving there permanently an easier task. He is a carpenter tho so he has options. You'll need to discuss them with a Canadian visa agent. Cause it's a very complicated process and varies from person to person.

I read recently that Canada has started doing an A-LMO which takes lest than a month to process. As a opposed to around 4 months at present. There's a chance the salary won't be as good if you go this road tho. Not sure why, and it's only available to employers who have been through an LMO before.

It also depends on his experience in carpentry. He needs to be employable by a company with the foresight to start employing people months in advance. So recorces and industrial works in remote areas are probilly the best bet. As its normally huge company's that carry out these equally big projects.

If he was 35 next year he could apply for a 1 year work permit through the IEC program. That would give him a year working visa that he could use to work for any1 in any part of Canada. So he could go over to a more favorable part of Canada and try to get a LMO from an employer in person while he was working in a job which is suited to him.

You'll be able to go defacto with the kids when he gets an LMO. Or if he's granted residency, pending your chat with an immigration lawyer and your decision on wether or not to peruse it. The latest stats show it takes about 8 months to process.

Advertisement