Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Replying to "good news" threads.

• 20-05-2012 9:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭

The Katie Taylor thread in AH is open since yesterday and is a whole 26 posts long (as of typing this)

The girl is after taking down a gold medal for our country and i'm sitting here wondering why nobody posts the auld "Congratulations Katie" in that thread.

Had some Eastenders star croaked it there would be a bloodletting of RIP posts :confused:

Why are we\you (yes im talking to you, put down that packet of Hula hoops) generally there for the sob story?

We complain that there's never any good news, well here it is and we are simply(or so it would seem) bypassing it. Explain yourselves! :P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

well i wouldnt post in a thread about a male boxer either so I'm doing my best not to be sexist and only replying in congratulations because she's a woman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

It doesn't interest me in the slightest - that would be why I personally didn't even look at the thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

They're not hula hoops,they're cheese and onion Tayto :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Bonavox

themadchef wrote: »
    The Katie Taylor thread in AH is open since yesterday and is a whole 26 posts long (as of typing this)

The girl is after taking down a gold medal for our country and i'm sitting here wondering why nobody posts the auld "Congratulations Katie" in that thread.

Had some Eastenders star croaked it there would be a bloodletting of RIP posts :confused:

Why are we\you (yes im talking to you, put down that packet of Hula hoops) generally there for the sob story?

We complain that there's never any good news, well here it is and we are simply(or so it would seem) bypassing it. Explain yourselves! :P

Because she's not going to read them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I don't post in stupid RIP threads either. But I suspect it's because the majority of people here don't give a crap about women's boxing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

well i wouldnt post in a thread about a male boxer either so I'm doing my best not to be sexist and only replying in congratulations because she's a woman

Shes won 4 world championships...."she's a woman" didn't figure into it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

And yet, you don't seem to have posted "the auld 'Congratulations Katie'" in that thread yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

Bonavox wrote: »
    Because she's not going to read them?

People generally dont read their RIP ones either...

I dont know who she is because I dont follow boxing.
    Had to look for the thread to see shes a boxer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Joko

Meh,

Is there a congratulations Leinster thread?

• Advertisement

El Weirdo wrote: »
    And yet, (unless I'm mistaken) you don't seem to have posted the "auld 'Congratulations Katie'" in that thread yourself.

Hunny bunch, what do you think i was in there for when i decided to make this thread:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭Bipolar Joe

I hate sport and I hate when people are happy. I avoid both.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Minority sport, few have interest

And either do you since you have no posts in boxing forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Sports and soaps aren't the least bit interesting. Those who care about such things will post there. Seems a pretty obvious sentiment.

People don't really post good news stuff here. So, not much of it to reply to. Perhaps a better approach would have been to look to creating a positive thread instead of remarking about a positive thread not getting enough attention. Something that in a way makes this a negative thread.

Joko wrote: »
    Meh,

Is there a congratulations Leinster thread?

Not that I'd post in it..but if there was,it would be closed ;)
    >>>>>Rugby Forum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Hunny bunch, what do you think i was in there for when i decided to make this thread:P

You still haven't posted in it though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

I find those type of threads a waste of time - as are RIP threads. nobody is going to read them, no one will appreciate you writing your thoughts in them, why is what you have to say so important etc etc.

Besides all this, there's generally not much to say about a good news story. about something bad, there's usually something or someone to give out about. with something good, it's like... oh ok, that's cool. and that's it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

It's women's boxing, there's not much of a an interest in female sports generally. Although she seems to be a bit of exception.

I think it's more something you mention to your family/friends. It's a bit lost in After Hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

and the guilty Irish pride awakens as the Congrats Katie thread is reborn. (up to 32 posts)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

We could win every event at the olympics and I can honestly say that I couldn't care less. I have a weird thing where I'm entirely disinterested in all competitive sports... :pac:

• Advertisement

irish-stew wrote: »
    You still haven't posted in it though.

Give a girl a chance.

Im hardly not going to post on it after making this thread am i.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Scioch

To be honest I'm starting to get sick of the "Where's Katie Taylor's recognition" brigade.

She gets pretty good coverage here in the media (social media included) considering its an amateur sport. Its just popular to say she doesnt for some reason.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

I never post RIP sympathies or congratulatory messages on the internet. It's tacky imo and doesn't address to whom it's concerned directly. While we're on the subject one turn of phrase that really grates my gonads is "...to all those involved..." makes me want to smash my screen when I see it. I always imagine some curly haired Mary with a mug of tea and rich tea biscuits in front of her Windows95 posting it.

Sorry Mary.

Give a girl a chance.

Im hardly not going to post on it after making this thread am i.

Might have helped though if you posted in it first though.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,145 ✭✭✭LETHAL LADY

I think Katie Taylor is great at what she does and long may her success continue, but anytime I have watched her being interviewed, well lets just say she does not ooze charisma.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

And yet, you don't seem to have posted "the auld 'Congratulations Katie'" in that thread yourself.

I can't believe you bothered to check. :p

Well if you start a thread like this, its almost an invitation to check.

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Is Dennis Taylor really her Da? She got off lightly if so.

Well if you start a thread like this, its almost an invitation to check.

:pac:

Really? I certainly wasn't moved to find the thread, check it and then come back and post my findings (or lack of) here.

• Advertisement

Really? I certainly wasn't moved to find the thread, check it and then come back and post my findings (or lack of) here.

Just me and El Weirdo then.

:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I couldn't care less about sport. I'm not going to start caring just because someone from the same country as me won a medal for hitting someone from another country.

• Site Banned Posts: 148 ✭✭franciebellew

Seriously who gives a damn about Katie Taylor.

Women's boxing is pathetic

Just me and El Weirdo then.

:D

Looks that way. :P

I couldn't care less about sport. I'm not going to start caring just because someone from the same country as me won a medal for hitting someone from another country.

It happens every day the world over - most people just don't get medals for it. :)

I just wonder though, all these people who "couldint care less about sport". Will they be the same people roaring "go on Ireland" the day we are in some Euro play off :D

I know i will, and i dont watch football as a rule.

I dont watch boxing as a rule either, but god dammit that was some acchievement and i fould myself listening to the radio and willing her on hoping she'd win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

I just wonder though, all these people who "couldint care less about sport". Will they be the same people roaring "go on Ireland" the day we are in some Euro play off :D

I dont watch boxing as a rule either, but god dammit that was some acchievement and i fould myself listening to the radio and willing her on hoping she'd win.

Personally speaking - hells no!
    I don't pay any attention to any sport ever.

Why are you so bothered by this crap?

Personally speaking - hells no!
    I don't pay any attention to any sport ever.

Why are you so bothered by this crap?

Bovvered?

No, i eint bovvered.

I am curious though, like George but with less hair and more jungle ;).

I'd be same never watch sport but anytime world cup is on or someones in a final I have the beers out :D I dont get why people have a problem with me jumping on the bandwagon, snobbery at its best....or worst?

Representing your country at an international show-piece event is different though. It will be the same for Katie in the Olympics, she'll get a lot of support from people who wouldnt normally follow her other fights.

She defended her title the other day, she'll be winning a gold for Ireland in the Olympics. Thats what pushes people to support for the big events.

Its like the eurovision, nobody liked Micky Joe Hart (nobody even likes the eurovision) but I'm sure we all wished him well because none of us wanted him to make a show of us in front of europe. Soon as he was done we stuck him back in his corner and ignored him hoping he'd go away.

I'd be same never watch sport but anytime world cup is on or someones in a final I have the beers out :D I dont get why people have a problem with me jumping on the bandwagon, snobbery at its best....or worst?

People love to say "I supported them from the start, I knew they would come good, look at me I'm great, your not a real fan like me, I have a special connection with the lads I do". Thats all that is, people trying to get some extra credit for being interested in something longer than someone else. When the team dont give a shít as long as the stadium is full and the management dont give a shít as long as the jerseys are sellin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 197 ✭✭Six of One

i fould myself listening to the radio

Yack, you really must have been excited. Hope you cleaned up after?! :D

LordSmeg wrote: »

People love to say "I supported them from the start, I knew they would come good, look at me I'm great, your not a real fan like me, I have a special connection with the lads I do". Thats all that is, people trying to get some extra credit for being interested in something longer than someone else. When the team dont give a shít as long as the stadium is full and the management dont give a shít as long as the jerseys are sellin.

Same as those people who stop liking bands when they become popular, sure their old stuff was better back when only I listened to them and the like...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,647 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Sure there was only a couple of posts in it anyway thanks to people like the OP not bothering to post in it.

Sure there was only a couple of posts in it anyway thanks to people like the OP not bothering to post in it.

Did you drop your bone in here?

I gettit, i shoulda posted in there first to make you feel better.

I decided this thread was more important.

I posted in that thread after i created this one. Can you move on now? Mista mod, please.

I hate trolling as much as the next person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Ah you can't beat a bit of boxing, nothing like a good fisting in the ring of a Saturday imo :pac:

Don't play it down... it doesnt matter how many people had posted on it. You went and tried to find if he had or hadn't posted and then went back and posted it on this thread.

I bet you were a tattle tale in school. You were, weren't you? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

No.
    I'd be same never watch sport but anytime world cup is on or someones in a final I have the beers out :D
    They're good to break the monotony, aren't they?
    LordSmeg wrote: »
    Its like the eurovision, nobody liked Micky Joe Hart (nobody even likes the eurovision) but I'm sure we all wished him well because none of us wanted him to make a show of us in front of europe. Soon as he was done we stuck him back in his corner and ignored him hoping he'd go away.
    Eurovision is a load of crap, too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Did you know that the first Matrix was designed to be a perfect human world? Where none suffered, where everyone would be happy. It was a disaster. No one would accept the program. Entire crops were lost. Some believed we lacked the programming language to describe your perfect world. But I believe that, as a species, human beings define their reality through suffering and misery. The perfect world was a dream that your primitive cerebrum kept trying to wake up from. Which is why the Matrix was redesigned to this: the peak of your civilization.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭joshrogan

Amateur boxing is not my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
Advertisement