Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CCI Stinger Impressive

Options
  • 20-05-2012 10:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭

For rabbit shooting I shoot low velocity 22LR (Ely) out of my moderated Brno and have always kept the zeroing range between 50 – 60 yards which has provided many a head shot rabbit for the pot over the last 26 or so years. Earlier in the year I inherited another 22LR Brno and have played around with iron sights, red dots and now lately a mil dot scope. Due to the low cost of the bulk boxes of 22HV I decided to zero this one at 50yards for targets and plinking. I found the mil dot perfect for various ranges (25-50-75-100) without obviously having to adjust elevation.

Now surprise, surprise I found the Federal .22LR Value Pack (525 Rounds) - 36 GR @ Muzzle Velocity: 1260 quite accurate and consistent (I am awaiting the opinions to the contrary:rolleyes:). I was achieving clover leaf patterns @ 50yards with budget ammo, factory rifle and a cheap as chips scope and only my bad shooting upset the routine.

:confused:Where am I going with this…………….. well I usually carry CCI Stingers (32 GR @1640 MV) with me ‘ just in case’ and while firing them from a 22 zeroed for 22LV I would aim on for a longer range or low for short ranges. Today I decided to see the point of impact for them with the HV zeroed Brno. So at 50 yards ‘Holy Sh-1-t’:eek:, POI was approximately 8 inches above POA, (that’s a POA with the top Mil Dot on a 4 Mildot scope) and again surprisingly the grouping was good. I played around with a few more ranges and was surprised that out at 125yards I still had not dropped onto the cross hairs (wind at the time was zero).

Got home this afternoon and did some reverse ballistics and worked out that if you have a + 7.5 inch (approx) hold over (top Mil Dot) POA at 50 yards and your POI is spot on - your zeroed distance is actually 200 yards…………
    I have, like many of you, looked at the UTube videos of long distance shooting with 22’s and being impressed and sceptical at the same time but today has opened up so many possibilities under the right circumstances. A big plus is that I will feel a lot better banging off 50 CCI at €9.00 then 20 .243 at €30.00 odd a box and there is something satisfying about hearing the clank of rounds hitting metal targets at 125yards with my beloved 22:D.

Anyhow give me some feed back if you wish……

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 170 ✭✭aurin07

50 yards is one thing..

Try doing a few groups at 100 yards with the stingers..

All OVER the place..

'hdz

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Too true, those hyper velocity rnds are brutal for grouping.
    The yellow jackets where a one hit wonder. Bang on target then your wondering where did the rest of the group go. Too much speed too little bullet

In my txt I mention that I shot the stingers over ever increaseing ranges up to 125yrds and yes the grouping does open up like saucer. At 125yrds I was shooting 6 x 6 inch steel plates. This is never going to be about MOA at 100 or 100 plus yards mearly an observation that this hot little rnd is well capable of shooting out over 100 with out having to rake up the elevation on a previously zeroed cheap scope or holding over at potentially dangerous POA thus giveing you cheap practice on varmint / heart and lung sized targets.

I stand by to be corrected but IMO standard and low velocity 22 just run out of steam to quickly from 100 yards out and drop like a stone so I am willing to sacrifice tight groups for sake of practicing over greater distances. If I can consistently put rnds in a 5 inch kill zone prone, kneeling or off a stick I'll be happy as a pig......:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

CZ Style 22lr. Point of aim = target bullseye

HV test @50m
    HighVelocityammo.jpg

SV @50m 10 round group
    target2-1.jpg

clivej wrote: »
    CZ Style 22lr. Point of aim = target bullseye

HV test @50m
    HighVelocityammo.jpg

SV @50m 10 round group
    target2-1.jpg

A picture tells a thousand words and the POI's of the CCI are excatly as seen on yesterdays targets , but I am surprised with the Feds stringing out so much at 50

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

That CZ style realy liked the Lapua and Eley subs, the cheap stuff.

Rememeber that the stingers being only 32gr will get blow twice as much by the wind as the 40gr rounds.

If my math is still good there is a 20% difference in weight between the 2 rounds :o

• Advertisement

Just looking at CCI own balistics on the stinger surprisingly it goes sub sonic between 70 and 80 yards onwards.
    Can any of the balistics gurus tell me if it is true that 'if a bullet remains at high velocity for the majority of its flight time it has a flatter trajectory and is lest effected by wind?'

Advertisement