Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano Diplomas?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Here, I've my Grade 8 RIAM Piano done, and I'm looking to qualify for piano teaching. The difficulty is that I've simultaneously graduated from college and am moving to Dublin, so I need to change piano teachers. What are the pros and cons of the ARIAM and the DipABRSM? Are the requirements and fees very steep? Where am I going to find a teacher?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Check this site out.. learnmusic.info/

It will give you the teachers' quaifications and also say what they will prepare you for,, Look for any teachers with the LRiam maybe as a starting point..You'll pay for em though..depends whereabouts in dublin you are too!

There;s been afew threads posted here on the difference between different schools' diplomas..RIAM/ABRSM/LCM..

My 2 cent.. do the ALCM for staters ..easiest and cheapest... Also don't stop playing..keep the ball rolling and maybe go for a senior certificate with the RIAM.. get your theory grades too.. I think most of the diplomas require a minimum of Grade 5 in theory (could be mistaken on this)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 colourmelucky

Thanks for the link, that solves the how to find a teacher problem.
    I think a friend of mine was talking abut the London crowd all right. I've a lot of Music modules done in college, and I'm hoping that might get me signed off on the theory prerequisite for a few grades, but I've not objection to doing them, since I'd be of a good theory standard.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Your college experience may count as a prerequisite, but the ABRSM Grade 8 isn't terribly difficult anyway so you may be as well off doing it to make your life easier.

The DipABRSM for piano is quite the undertaking (general info here) but you could prep in a year or so. Some of the pieces on the syllabus are quite do-able. The programme notes and viva voce shouldn't pose much trouble to you. I would recommend it over the ARIAM, as in my opinion the DipABRSM is of a higher standard.

As for piano teachers, why not apply to a conservatoire like DIT or RIAM? Though the auditions are now over for the 2012/13 year. You could try writing to some of the teachers listed on the faculty page and see if they would consider you as a private student.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

As for piano teachers, why not apply to a conservatoire like DIT or RIAM? Though the auditions are now over for the 2012/13 year. You could try writing to some of the teachers listed on the faculty page and see if they would consider you as a private student.

Agreed. The DIT accept late applications and hold late auditions in September, though the RIAM will not accept late applications (at least not officially).

• Site Banned Posts: 2 PianoManni

Does anyone know if any of these diplomas are considered as an NFQ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Doshea3

PianoManni wrote: »
    Does anyone know if any of these diplomas are considered as an NFQ?

They are valid as such in the UK but I don't think they have the same standing in Ireland (though the RIAM diplomas may).

Advertisement