Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potato skins in a composter?

Options
  • 20-05-2012 10:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭

Need some quick advice. Never had a problem with putting waste veggie into a composter till year.
    both composters were cleared out recently but we earmarked one for waste veggie and the problem is all the waste potato skins are sprouting leaves at the top of composter while further down in the compost take out section there are shoots as well.
    Used some compost with skins in it for the tomatoes but they are starting to sprout shoot and potato leaves among my tomotatos, me pulling them out as soon as they sprout.

Never recollect an issue with waste potato skins before so woundering what the hell is going on. Will they rot down and compost or do I need to remove the shoots and waste potato material from this composter and ban skins all together?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

I've never been able to compost potato skins, they've always "grown" on me.

I put them in the rubbish bin.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Cook then peel. Or if that's not an option, you can blanche or nuke them. Dead potato skins tell no tales ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭S.L.F

Fiskar wrote: »
    Will they rot down and compost or do I need to remove the shoots and waste potato material from this composter and ban skins all together?

Do you use a square of carpet over the top of your compost to keep it warm?

If you do it will stop leaves from growing.

We've never had an issue with leaves growing before and that could be why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Fiskar

S.L.F wrote: »
    Do you use a square of carpet over the top of your compost to keep it warm?

If you do it will stop leaves from growing.

We've never had an issue with leaves growing before and that could be why.

thanks, will wait for the heatwave to cook them this week! Can't wait to see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭_AVALANCHE_

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Zuiderzee

Ive always been told not to put sprouting tubers or their skins into composter - Spuds, Oca, Jeruselem artichoke etc.

Advertisement