Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

External Paint

• 20-05-2012 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

Am planning to paint the exterior of our house again and just wondering what paint brand is the best. Last time we used Sandtex and found it ok. Has anyone used Homebase own paint for exteriors as it is the cheapest one.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

PaddyJules wrote: »
    Am planning to paint the exterior of our house again and just wondering what paint brand is the best. Last time we used Sandtex and found it ok. Has anyone used Homebase own paint for exteriors as it is the cheapest one.

Homebase own brand external is MUCK.:(

Dulux Weathershield for the win here.Its the best for a reason.;)

44 euro for 12 litres of it.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

i used dulux 2 times and after 18 months the house is looking shabby. lots of algae I think. The house is north facing and the garden wall looks even worse. Is there any solution, bar repainting every year? I'm going to use a power washer next week and see what happens, but I don't believe the 10 year guarantees any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 490 ✭✭Russh

PaddyJules wrote: »

You'll get what you pay for...!....Pay the extra few euro for Fleetwood Weatherclad.../...Dulux Weathershield or Sandtex....Fleetwood is cheaper than Dulux and much better...

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭leoch

igot my house painter two years ago and alreadt the paint is flaking of in areas especially the quoins does a new house need to be covered first with sand sealer (i think its called)before its painted to help the paint stay on iseem to remember the painter doing al the sills eith it first,in fairness i think its the plaster (smooth finish)thats at fault because it seems to be sandy when i rub it and the house is up 7 years .any advice or help would be great i know replastering would be an answer but cant afford to do that so a repaint is the only answer if i could get it to stay on thankd

• Registered Users Posts: 9 newadventure

colortrend is the best.100% acrylic versus Dulux which is waterbased,plus Dulux changed formulation this year,which has affected drying times and causes the paint to sag,when there is moisture present while drying...Trust me,Colourtrend all the way...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83 ✭✭bazmak

leoch wrote: »
    igot my house painter two years ago and alreadt the paint is flaking of in areas especially the quoins does a new house need to be covered first with sand sealer (i think its called)before its painted to help the paint stay on iseem to remember the painter doing al the sills eith it first,in fairness i think its the plaster (smooth finish)thats at fault because it seems to be sandy when i rub it and the house is up 7 years .any advice or help would be great i know replastering would be an answer but cant afford to do that so a repaint is the only answer if i could get it to stay on thankd

scrape off any loose & flaking paint then get yourself some stabilising solution and brush it on and leave to dry ready for repainting next day.
    stabilising solution stops the flaking of paint so you shouldnt have that problem in future:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,091 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

i used dulux 2 times and after 18 months the house is looking shabby. lots of algae I think. The house is north facing and the garden wall looks even worse. Is there any solution, bar repainting every year? I'm going to use a power washer next week and see what happens, but I don't believe the 10 year guarantees any more.

I would try bleach - wearing protective clothing of course.

Advertisement