Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

phD- unfunded?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Raphael wrote: »
    When an employee of yours has 18 months of training and 5 years of experience behind them, frinstance, I really doubt you'd fire them over wanting to take a 12 month holiday.
    I'm not saying I'd fire anyone. I'm saying I would need a very, very good reason to grant a 12-month vacation to anyone.

Anyway, this is getting off-topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭mamaheidi

To the OP,

Doing an unfunded PhD is A LOT OF HARD WORK. I started my PhD under the illusion that I would get funding along the way but unfortunately this did not happen - the only place for my subject area was the IRCHSS which I applied for and was within the threshold for a scholarship but "due to budgetary constraints" blah blah I didn't get one that year. Anyway, so many people in my office are not funded but that doesn't mean their research isn't worthy of funding.

It's difficult to last for four years without funding but you will always get little bits along the way - bursaries to go to summer schools / conferences etc. and it all adds to the CV. As well as that getting work experience in your area of study is vital for finding a job afterwards - particularly if you don't plan to stay in academia. At the moment I have two part-time jobs and almost finished my PhD (hopefully by next week!). I've done this in 3.5 years whereas three PhD students under the same supervisor have been there for 5/6 years and still haven't written up (these students were funded for three years). I think the reason I'm finished early is a combination of necessity and willpower - I have no intention of staying in this situation forever (because I despise being broke!) and therefore have worked hard on getting my research done & written up (being pregnant is also a great motivator but I wouldn't recommend it to everyone as an incentive to finish ;))

At the end of the day you have to decide for yourself what to do. I understand what a lot of posters have said about scholarships looking prestigious on your CV - they do - but that's only part of the story. Good research, good work experience, a FINISHED thesis within the time also look good on your CV! If you want to know anything else PM me!

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Macano31

Hi,

If you are on the dole, can you get your fees for a PHD paid by Council? What would then happen to your dole? Would you lose it as you would be no longer available for work or what? Any information appreciated.

Thanks in advance .

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

Macano31 wrote: »
    What would then happen to your dole? Would you lose it as you would be no longer available for work or what?
    Someone doing a PhD is in full-time employment/education and therefore cannot claim unemployment benefit.

Advertisement