Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2 Episode 8 - *Have Not Read The Books* *Spoilers* *Mod Note Post #1*

• 20-05-2012 11:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭

The thread for this week's episode.

For the last two weeks, book readers have posted spoilers for future events that haven't happened in the show yet. Starting this week, there will be consequences - a ban from this forum until a week after the final episode has aired.

Book readers may post to this thread IF THEY'RE CAREFUL. Any slips = a ban until June 10th.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Anybody know when this airs? I think I read 4am our time so probbly wont be up till about 5am - Do I stay awake for it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

It's already aired

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,116 ✭✭✭Professional Griefer

Decent enough episode. Arya is a clever thing bless her.

I see next weeks episode is written by GRRM, can't wait. Story has been building nicely. Only 2 episodes left though. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Go kill yourself, ouch!

They said the mud gate was only 50 yards from the sea
    Pure stupidity if they try to land and attack this.

The soliders above would just fire wildfire down on the boats and men in armour don't swim!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

I expected Milasandre to be on the ship with Stannis...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭Kilkenny14

Stephen Dillane is excellent as Stannis but Arya Stark's scenes are the best - Jaqen's face when she said his name was priceless!

Still Tyrion and Bronn remain the best duo Westeros has seen, with able help from Lord Vaerys; “We could throw books at his men.” “We don’t have that many books.”

Tywin Lannister seems to be killing more of his own men then the Brotherhood are

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

As usual Tyrion has some quality lines:

"Why are all the gods such vicious c*nts? Where are the gods of titties and wine?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

Ah so it was the orphan boys Jack and Billy and not the Stark boys, thank god. However the fact that everyone thinks it was them, including Theons sister is not good for Theon when Winterfell is retaken!

I think Liam Cunningham is doing a great job as sir Davos. Loved the story of "the onion" that he was telling, found it amusing. I also found it very amusing how much Joffrey underestimates Stannis it just shows how ignorant he is. Also really like the fact that Cersei picked the wrong whore for Tyrion.

Then we get to see the Starks at play. Robb finally get his bit with Lady Tulissa :p And it was also great to see how clever Arya is in using Jaquen H'gar. Wonder if she still has one name left from the red god? Now with most of the Guards in Harrenhall being killed I can see why people believe it to be cursed.

The whole Jon Snow storyline was brief but interesting. Looks like Corrin wants Jon to attempt to get on the wildlings side. Maybe he will get to get with Ygritte once he "switches sides".

Can't help but wonder what the significance of the Dragonstone weapons/tools that Sam found was?

I thought the Dany storyline went nowhere and was not needed in this epidode.

Can't believe there are only two episodes left. I think it is clear that this season is going to end on a lot of cliffhangers and book sales will skyrocket :pac:

Good episode. I do wish the big reveal wasn't at the end of the episode. It was pretty obvious the boys weren't burnt.

I really expected Tywin to keep Arya with him. I guess littlefinger stayed hush after all. Speaking of which, where's he at?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I wonder if Jaqes has some sort of magic in him too? There's not way he would be able to kill all those people and not be found out. Also the fact that when Arya named him, he was very taken aback, as if he could do nothing about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Good episode. I do wish the big reveal wasn't at the end of the episode. It was pretty obvious the boys weren't burnt.
    i dont think it was so much the reveal, id say it was more the fact bran was listening in, its bound to have a big affect on him knowing he got the two of them killed cause he ran away, and also winterfells fall was his fault for sending away all the guards,

so are the greyjoys gonna leave winterfell so, seems a bit ridiculous, even if they are sea people they'll have to have potions inland if they wish to rule the 7 kingdoms,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

I wonder will Arya ever get her sword back, there have been a few points already where it focuses on the sword but she never made a grab at it.

As for the episode itself, it felt slower than episodes previously but did show just how naive Joffrey is.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

don ramo wrote: »
    i dont think it was so much the reveal, id say it was more the fact bran was listening in, its bound to have a big affect on him knowing he got the two of them killed cause he ran away, and also winterfells fall was his fault for sending away all the guards,

I'm not so sure he was. The way they did the sound on it it was like we were hearing it but the boys weren't. Maester Luwin and the wildling knew where Bran was so they wouldn't have discussed it in earshot. Reckon it was just to show the boys were alive.

nice twist with ros but have a feeling tyrion will still stop Joffrey being at risk. His egalitarian side will tell him ros should be protected too.

Catelyn's royally f*cked up. His men will be outraged they've traded Jaime for Sansa.

as has Robb lol. She's some cracker to be fair no way he could resist.

Don't think I can take another week - I have the second book think I'm gonna have to start it. so prob won't be posting on this thread much longer (read the first one in a few days) :/

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I feel terrible for feeling relieved it was "only" the two orphan kids killed, and not Bran / Rickon. I would have been genuinely annoyed were the two Little Lords offed; I was interested to see where the story would go with Bran's powers, so I'm glad that arc didn't get prematurely ended.

I also note that I'm right - I didn't think the Islanders would be interested in holding Winterfell, though I did suspect they'd betray Theon rather than simply leave. My further prediction? It'll be Bran who kills Theon (or has him killed), not Rob.

It's all coming to a head at this stage: goes without saying that the most enjoyable portions were those featuring Tyrion and/or Bronn, and one wonders if the two of them may have to conspire against Joffrey's wishes and desires to protect the city. His eagerness for a battlefield will surely endanger the city - and I think now I hate the actor as much as Joffrey himself; the character's an irredeemable ass, but Jack Gleeson's performance is positively scenery-chewing

Edit: Oh and yet again the episode looks like a blockbuster film, from costume to CGI. It really is a great show to look at if nothing else.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,406 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Slower episode than the last two, things will ramp up in the next two though I imagine.

Pretty sure brann heard them at the end there , maybe he's got better hearing because of his powers?

Really can't see much being wrapped up in two more episodes though!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭Degag

Bit of a slowburner there alright but it's set up pretty well for the last 2 episodes. Glad the 2 boys are alive.
    DL Saint wrote: »
    And it was also great to see how clever Arya is in using Jaquen H'gar. Wonder if she still has one name left from the red god?

Dunno, i'd imagine that her three wishes are up... but then again she didn't specifically name anyone in this episode did she?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Degag wrote: »
    Dunno, i'd imagine that her three wishes are up... but then again she didn't specifically name anyone in this episode did she?

Other than naming Jaquen, no she didn't name a replacement; she simply retracted the naming & blackmailed him into help her escape.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

I expected Milasandre to be on the ship with Stannis...

Stannis promised Davos that they would set sail without Melissandre a few episodes ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,313 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Is this the first episode, at least in a while, that has touched on all stories?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

interesting the theon did not know the farmer and wife were killed, i presumed they had burnt the farm and just retrieved the bodies and he knew. i think that finchy (?) planted the walnut shells to spur him into action, as they were careful not to go in.
    theon is so f**ked, if he goes his da will fill him for stupidity, if he stays someone will get him for the starks ' i killed the ravens'
    iwant to sit down and watch it again, but will wait until tomorrow, can't believe cat let jamie go!

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Dubhlinner

only realising it now but very much enjoy the davos/stannis scenes. there's something very unpretentious about them. Stannis though technically the heir is very irrational though kind of an honor fundamentalist. Davos's pragmatic personality compliments the dynamic very well

don ramo wrote: »

so are the greyjoys gonna leave winterfell so, seems a bit ridiculous, even if they are sea people they'll have to have potions inland if they wish to rule the 7 kingdoms,

I don't remember they ever aimed to rule the 7 Kingdoms.

They are a tiny force and their main interest is going up and down the coast raiding, raping and pillaging. They are brigands, not a full blown army

In the first series they mentioned they rebelled and Ned Stark left Winterfell to put them down. So I suppose they want their independance from the North

But never did they mention the Iron Throne afaik

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

The dynamic between Theon and Yara is fantastic. On the one hand I hate Theon for having the beardy chap and the orphans killed, but then you cant help but feel sorry for him when his sister puts him down and emasculates him all the time. I'm sure his father will probably lay into him now too.

I hope there'll be some depth to the Robb and Jane story. I guess it's setting up a situation where the Freys are going to be angered that he's not going to marry their daughter, but realistically all that'd mean is he cant go back north as quickly without the bridge...hope it's going somewhere cause time could have spent developing better storylines.

Oh and that master of bones chap was wearing a skull that didnt look very human, maybe a whitewalker? Been dying to see or hear more about them.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭Doctor_Socks

Good episode, just wish there was more scenes from beyond the wall.

Also, the music in the credits was fantastic! Bran must have heard them talking as it really does fit the thought of 'Oh bollox, what have I done'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

oh so many questions! where are the direwolves? where is the shadow person and who is next? where are the brotherhood?
    oh.. baby waking better go... can't wait for next monday

I've been trying to figure it out, but in the opening credits we have the place with rope bridges. Is that where Robb is currently based?

I think the rope bridges are the Iron islands?

Probably wrong on that.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,100 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

I was very disappointed with that episode. In that scene with Robb Stark and yer wan, she tells this big ass boring story about her brother dying or something something and then they do the business. After listing to that story all we get is a bit of side boob, not even a courtesy nip slip. Everything else was great though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

I was very disappointed with that episode. In that scene with Robb Stark and yer wan, she tells this big ass boring story about her brother dying or something something and then they do the business. After listing to that story all we get is a bit of side boob, not even a courtesy nip slip. Everything else was great though.

To be fair she is Charlie Chaplin's grand-daughter so even the side boob is kinda a big deal :P. Was hoping for full on though. Hopefully she'll get them out soon enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭Block (8

To be fair she is Charlie Chaplin's grand-daughter so even the side boob is kinda a big deal :P. Was hoping for full on though. Hopefully she'll get them out soon enough.

Lads glad I'm not the only one to appreciate a boob scene for the sake of a boob scene.
    Read in some threads peeps complaining that it sometimes does nothing for the scene but I beg to differ :)
    Don't know how on earth they can wrap up the season in 2 episodes, practically feels like we are only half way through the season.
    Can see many of us being disappointed at the end!
    The music at the end of the episode was really good the best of the season so far, I like my music:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 501 ✭✭✭DL Saint

robby^5 wrote: »
    The dynamic between Theon and Yara is fantastic. On the one hand I hate Theon for having the beardy chap and the orphans killed, but then you cant help but feel sorry for him when his sister puts him down and emasculates him all the time. I'm sure his father will probably lay into him now too.

I hope there'll be some depth to the Robb and Jane story. I guess it's setting up a situation where the Freys are going to be angered that he's not going to marry their daughter, but realistically all that'd mean is he cant go back north as quickly without the bridge...hope it's going somewhere cause time could have spent developing better storylines.

Oh and that master of bones chap was wearing a skull that didnt look very human, maybe a whitewalker? Been dying to see or hear more about them.
    Sorry but who is Jane? You mean Lady Talissa? Is she called Jane in the books or something :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Lady Talissa has replaced a character called Jayne Westerling from the books which makes me wonder if robby^5 has read them or if he's just been reading some spoilers/discussion on the impact of replacing Jayne with Lady Talissa... (something many of us readers are discussing atm).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

robby^5 wrote: »
    Robb and Jane story.
    Is that a book reference? If so then you are reminded that this thread is for those who have NOT read the book and really don't want any spoilers.

To all, please post with that thought first and foremost, don't spoil it for us.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Honestly, book readers just shouldn't post in these "haven't read the books" threads AT ALL. I thought that was why the (quite genius) Spoiler-free answers from readers thread was started.

So I now know there's a character called Jayne Westerling who was replaced by lady Talissa for the TV show.

I didn't know that before coming into this thread.

I'm probably going to read the books after I watch the TV show, so now that, "Oooooh! Where's Lady Talissa and who's this Jayne woman" moment has been taken away. Cheers.

You might not think it's spoilery, but it really really is.

Just stop.

Oh, I hope this isn't being regarded as back seat modding. It just does my absolute tits in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Honestly, book readers just shouldn't post in these "haven't read the books" threads AT ALL. I thought that was why the (quite genius) Spoiler-free answers from readers thread was started.

So I now know there's a character called Jayne Westerling who was replaced by lady Talissa for the TV show.

I didn't know that before coming into this thread.

I'm probably going to read the books after I watch the TV show, so now that, "Oooooh! Where's Lady Talissa and who's this Jayne woman" moment has been taken away. Cheers.

You might not think it's spoilery, but it really really is.

Just stop.

Oh, I hope this isn't being regarded as back seat modding. It just does my absolute tits in.

100% agree with this. Why can't book readers stay away from this thread? We don't want to know anything from you and as said above people think they aren't being spoilery with some of of their comments but they are, so please, stop posting in this thread and let us who have not read the books enjoy the show uninfluenced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Staplor

Ban them all!

MOD: OK, we've had it pointed out. Lets get back on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,733 ✭✭✭squonk

Aw come on! The book readers have been well behaved this week. OK, so there's a character in the books called Jane who is analogous to Lady Tulissa and we know that the story has deviated from the books in some areas, how is that a spoiler? Heck, if you're going to read the books then you already know the broad story so you'll know what's coming. I'd have thought that knowing that the Jane arc might pan out differently in the books might be an incentive to read. I've no idea as I've not read the books myself.

I thought this week was a bit slower too. It was obviously a positioning episode for the last two. Events are set up now and in train and they'll have to be resolved by season end. GoT is one show that could really benefit from having 18-22 episodes at this stage. It's just too short a season and it flies by so fast. Definitely don't have any complaints about the boob scenes myself. The show doesn't really sherk much unless it's full on murdering or sexy time and I think it's a better show for that.

At this point I really have to start reading the books. It's pretty hard to keep track of who each of the characters are. I'm getting up to speed now but it's nearly the end of season and I'll be back to square one by the next one.

Lady Stark ****ed up big time. I'd really have thought she'd have been smarter. Joffrey is such a prat. I'd dearly love to see Stannis capture him and torture and kill the little ****, though I'd say if anything like that does happen he'll be locked up and used for his bargaining value more than anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Woah! I have not read the books! You guys are over-reacting.

The girl is Chaplins granddaughter and it was announced she was going to play Jane/Jayne and that's what I've been calling her all series. I haven't posted a single spoiler because I don't know any.

• Advertisement

OldGoat wrote: »
    MOD: OK, we've had it pointed out. Lets get back on topic please.
    As I've already posted...lets get back on topic.
    The incident is behind us and anyone dragging it back into the thread will get a short Ban for off topic posting. If anyone has anything further to add them PM me and I'll discuss it there.

As someone pointed out elsewhere, Ros is not having a fun time since coming to King's Landing:Baby killing, threatened for being upset about a baby being killed, being forced to torture by Joffrey and now being beaten as Tyrion's supposed girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was this episode going for a tv record for having the word cnut used so often :pac:

I hate the Greyjoys, bunch of dicks.

krudler wrote: »
    was this episode going for a tv record for having the word cnut used so often :pac:
    I was thinking the Daily Mail brigade types would have a field day for that language being used in front of a young girl. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

krudler wrote: »

I hate the Greyjoys, bunch of dicks.

this episode may have been "slow" but it was still a great watch. i loved the scene with varys and tyrion talking about how dany is still alive and how she has dragons, a nice bit of (possible) foreboding there. once again tyrion gets all the best lines , "why are all the gods such vicious c*nts? where is the god of tits and wine?". what's the deal with jamie? is brianne bringing him back to kings landing to exchange him for sansa and arya (catelyn believes she is held there cos littlefinger said she was)? loved the scenes north of the wall this week, they were so beautifully shot. curious to know more about this mance radar (sic) character- will jon allign himself with the wildlings? i have no idea but he isnt the kind to break his vows lightly. the big reveal at the end was predicted by most, the little lords are still alive. theon is a great character, a lad so far out of his depth who doesnt seem to have the respect of anyone and is looking at a serious amount of payback in the future. next week's ep promises to be quite epic. look forward to the payoff of stannis' invasion and tywin's ambush on robb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭irish son

Was expecting more to happen in the 3rd last episode but still a good episode. I think Robs new women is the best looking women in the show so far, loved that scene ;) Thought Tyrion and Varys scene was the best, I find Varys a very interesting character, hard to know his motivations and where he stands. I like how their conversation linked in Daenerys, sounds like it could be few series down the line til she and her dragons come for the Iron Throne though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Loved this episode too:

I didn't realise the "Whore" mix up till the next scene so for a minute I didn't know what the hell was going on. He really acted it out well to throw her off.

My Fav scene was def Tyrion on the wall talking and the island about the God with 12 tits or something and he said "we should set sail immediately" gave me a big laugh.

Hard to see what way it's going to go. I really wanna see Jamie throw down, he's such an arsehole but he is so badass.

So who do we think are the 3 men he thinks could match him in a fight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭MikeCork2009

ziedth wrote: »
    So who do we think are the 3 men he thinks could match him in a fight?

I'd say The Mountain, The Hound and his father!!!

Will be interesting to see what the dragon glass the Nightswatch found is for. It was in the shape of spears. Maybe a weapon for killing White Walkers?? Who by the way I'd like to see/hear a bit more of given what happened in the first episode of the series!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

was this the first GoT episode that contained a sex scene that wasnt sex just for the sake of it? usually people are just rogering whores, wenches, their sister etc whereaseRobb and his (lovely looking) love interest get together in a...well nice way (for this show anyway :pac: )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

Very good episode.

Bit confused though, was it Varys who told Cersei that Ros was Tyrion's whore? I presume so due to their talk later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement