Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Steven Gerrard...

• 20-05-2012 11:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭

A few PL winners medals and another CL medal would look much nicer in the medal cabinet when showing it off to the grand kids in years to come.
    He said on The Late Late Show recently that he had no regrets but surely he can't admit to anything now, it's just too late.
    It's hard to feel sorry for someone who is on over 100,000 pounds a week but did Stevie G cut short the success of his career by staying loyal to the Pool? Should he have regrets?

2004. He admitted he was not "happy with the progress Liverpool has made", and that "for the first time in my career I've thought about the possibility of moving on." Gerrard turned down a £20 million offer from Chelsea to stay.

2005. After the CL final. "How can I leave after a night like this?"

Honours

Liverpool
    FA Cup (2): 2000–01, 2005–06
    League Cup (3): 2000–01, 2002–03, 2011–12
    FA Community Shield (2): 2001, 2006
    UEFA Champions League (1): 2004–05
    UEFA Cup (1): 2000–01
    UEFA Super Cup (2): 2001, 2005
    Individual
    FWA Footballer of the Year: 2009
    PFA Players' Player of the Year: 2006
    PFA Young Player of the Year: 2001
    PFA Fans' Player of the Year: 2001, 2009
    PFA Team of the Year: 2001, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009
    FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009
    Liverpool Top Goalscorer: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2008–09
    UEFA Club Footballer of the Year: 2005
    UEFA Champions League Final Man of the Match: 2005
    UEFA Team of the Year: 2005, 2006, 2007
    FIFA/FIFPro World XI: 2007, 2008, 2009[105]
    FA Cup Final Man of the Match: 2006
    Goal of the Season: 2006
    England Player of the Year: 2007
    Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE): 2007
    Honorary Fellowship from Liverpool John Moores University: 2008
    BBC Sports Personality of the Year Award 3rd Place: 2005

Honours

Chelsea
    Domestic
    Premier League
    Winners: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10
    Runners-up: 2006–07, 2007–08, 2010–11
    FA Cup
    Winners: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
    Football League Cup
    Winners:2004–05, 2006–07
    FA Community Shield
    Winners :2005, 2009
    European
    UEFA Champions League
    Winners (1): 2011–12
    Runners-up (1): 2007–08

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

" Regrets, I've had a few....." Sing away.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'm not sure if he has regrets but I'm sure he often wonders what if he did move to Chelsea. When you look at Torres I wonder if he has regrets moving. He might have just picked up a CL medal but the guy just seems to unhappy, I doubt that one single medal makes up for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Had he moved Chelsea wouldn't be celebrating their first CL win this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Only he knows. I'm sure if he finishes his career without a league title then he will feel some remorse because he was certainly good enough to have won one had he decided to push for a move.

Then again, he's a legend at his club, has a European Cup winner's medal (and has a few other medals too), plus quite a few quid in the bank so he's not going to have sleepless nights over it probably.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

I'm not sure if he has regrets but I'm sure he often wonders what if he did move to Chelsea. When you look at Torres I wonder if he has regrets moving. He might have just picked up a CL medal but the guy just seems to unhappy, I doubt that one single medal makes up for that.

Torres has been looking pretty good since RdM took over. I think you might be six months late with that comment.

Torres has been looking pretty good since RdM took over. I think you might be six months late with that comment.

You could be 1 day late!
    Fernando has gone on record to say he was never as disappointed in his life when he saw last nights team sheet.
    Bertrand accommodated in his stead.
    It also appears that he was refused the chance to take a penalty.
    Cahill was in line to take penalty 6.
    He's not happy at the Bridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

You could be 1 day late!
    Fernando has gone on record to say he was never as disappointed in his life when he saw last nights team sheet.
    Bertrand accommodated in his stead.
    It also appears that he was refused the chance to take a penalty.
    Cahill was in line to take penalty 6.
    He's not happy at the Bridge.

Source?

Didn't look too unhappy singing with the mic in hand on the bus in London today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,743 ✭✭✭Revolution9

jive wrote: »
    Source?

Didn't look too unhappy singing with the mic in hand on the bus in London today.

“This season I felt things I had never felt,” said Torres. “I felt they have treated me in a way I was not expecting, not the manner for which the club brought me here. We have had many conversations and now the season’s finished we will have more talks to see what happens in the future because this is not the role for which I came and I’m not happy."

“I wanted to take a penalty but they didn’t let me,” said Torres.

“The ideal for me for next season is if someone tells me what’s going to happen. What role will I have in the team, what function is expected of me and to evaluate if it is worth it.”

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/chelsea/9278310/Fernando-Torres-hits-out-at-Chelsea-over-his-treatment-and-seeks-urgent-clear-the-air-talks.html

jive wrote: »
    Source?

www.guillembalague.com

Click on interviews.

He interviewed him after the final last night in Munich.

This interview has been widely publicised in today's press.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

As Happy Monday pointed out Torres has said he hasn't been happy at Chelsea.
    Now I do feel like football is worth it but I've been through a difficult time. The worst in my career. I don't want that again. There's been many times when I've felt lost, I wasn't sure what to do. I felt like I didn't know where I belonged.

Now I do feel like football is worth it but I've been through a difficult time. The worst in my career. I don't want that again. There's been many times when I've felt lost, I wasn't sure what to do. I felt like I didn't know where I belonged.

I'm eternally grateful to my family who have been by my side and also for the support of the owners who have stuck by me. And especially to the fans, if it hadn't been for them this season I would have given up

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7767645/Torres-seeks-Chelsea-talks

Hardly sounds like someone who is happy, despite winning a CL medal. He's looked alright with RDM, still a million miles off what he is capable of though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭staker

No single player more worthy of a PL medal than Gerrard. His loyalty to his club has reached some,but not all his ambitions I'd say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Its great how ya leave out CL runners up (06/07) and Premier League runners up (08/09)in yer list :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I think one league title with Liverpool would be mean more to him than five or ten with another club, that said, it seems highly unlikely that that league title will come for him at Liverpool. And if it did, how much of a part would he play, would he be fit?

Perhaps everything will line up though, I have a feeling next year will be our year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,385 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

staker wrote: »
    No single player more worthy of a PL medal than Gerrard. His loyalty to his club has reached some,but not all his ambitions I'd say.
    Don't know how you can come to that conclusion tbh...
    Fowler87 wrote: »
    Its great how ya leave out CL runners up (06/07) and Premier League runners up (08/09)in yer list :rolleyes:

LOL

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Stevie G is the Jimmy White of football.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,361 ✭✭✭Boskowski

Perhaps everything will line up though, I have a feeling next year will be our year.
    :o

Not havin a dig take it more as a lighthearted comment please, but surely that 'next year' line has by now become a bit of a Liverpool proverb?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Boskowski wrote: »
    :o

Not havin a dig take it more as a lighthearted comment please, but surely that 'next year' line has by now become a bit of a Liverpool proverb?

Any reference to it you see on boards these days is purely tongue in cheek.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Liam O wrote: »

LOL

Why is it a LOL ?

Either the OP leaves out runner up mentions in both examples or mentions them in both .

Otherwise what's the point ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Chazz Michael Michaels

As Happy Monday pointed out Torres has said he hasn't been happy at Chelsea.

I'm eternally grateful to my family who have been by my side and also for the support of the owners who have stuck by me. And especially to the fans, if it hadn't been for them this season I would have given up

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11668/7767645/Torres-seeks-Chelsea-talks

Hardly sounds like someone who is happy, despite winning a CL medal. He's looked alright with RDM, still a million miles off what he is capable of though.

What a fool he is. I thought he was back on the road to his top form, instead he has proved what a moany dope he is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Leiva wrote: »
    Why is it a LOL ?

Either the OP leaves out runner up mentions in both examples or mentions them in both .

Otherwise what's the point ?

Both honour lists copied directly from Wikipedia without checking or cross referencing. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

For every Torres there's lots of players who've made the step up the a title condending team who've revelled in their new teams success, think Torres is a bit of a outlier in this context. Also I think his unhappiness could be more due to him not thinking he's contributed what he's capable of more so than a longing for his previous club(s).

I think fans in general have an overly fantasised view of how much the majority of players actually care about their team, and believe some of the bull**** lines that these players have to feed the press whilst at the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Perhaps he views "honors" differently? Club captain of your home town club, the club you supported all your life and as a player will be a club legend for the rest of his days. He seems happy and content with is life which is a lot more than can be said for some(see Torres).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Anyone wrote: »
    Perhaps he views "honors" differently? Club captain of your home town club, the club you supported all your life and as a player will be a club legend for the rest of his days. He seems happy and content with is life which is a lot more than can be said for some(see Torres).

Very simply, If they didn't make him one of the richest players in England he wouldn't be there and all the other things mentioned would be irrelevent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

Rekop dog wrote: »
    Very simply, If they didn't make him one of the richest players in England he wouldn't be there and all the other things mentioned would be irrelevent.

Very simply, that's just your opinion, and not a fact at all. Only he knows his reasons for turning down Chelsea. As a Liverpool fan, its my opinion that playing for your home club is a bigger honor than an extra 25k a week in the bank.

The man is a club legend, and will be for the rest of his life.

He's a Liverpool fan and has played with the team he supports since he started playing football.

Multi millionare too, so I'd say he's alright.

I'm sure there's players with bigger regrets in the premier league...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Honours

Liverpool

Individual
    FA Premier League Player of the Month: March 2001, March 2003, December 2004, April 2006, March 2009

The bits in bold are basically meaningless. The bits underlined are beyond meaningless.The Carling Cup has been a 3rd rate competition used by clubs to bed new talent for a decade now.

What he has won, and will be proud of, are a couple of FA Cups and a Champions League trophy. For a player of his ability it's a very poor haul. If you compare this to other 1-club men like Maldini/Giggs etc players of a similar standard it's poor.

Bottom line i think he will go down in Liverpool history as a legend. In the overall history of the game he will be remembered as a good player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

Maybe there's family pressure on him staying at Liverpool as he's a Liverpudlian. His loyalty is a little misguided in my opinion. I don't think there's anything wrong with leaving a club that isn't matching your ambitions. If you've outgrown a club that aren't being very successful, playing with players that are maybe inferior to you, you have a right to say fuk this, I'm blowing town.

I bet he does regret not leaving. It's probably like being in an abusive relationship - always been promised things will get better. They do for a while then go back to the way they were.

Would any big club take him anyway with his age and injury record?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Sit back and enjoy lads.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1D9RRML2As&feature=youtube_gdata_player

I'm sure he has had plenty of regrets, but life is more that what ifs and maybes...

I'm sure he is a very very happy man who has exorcised any demons about moving he may have had a long time ago. Easy for us to say he wasted his career when most of us will never even come close to the success or realization of our dreams that he has had, and will hopefully continue to have.

Captain of Liverpool FC.

He's big and he's ****in hard, steeeeee gerrard, gerrard

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 994 ✭✭✭carbon nanotube

A few PL winners medals and another CL medal would look much nicer in the medal cabinet when showing it off to the grand kids in years to come.
    He said on The Late Late Show recently that he had no regrets but surely he can't admit to anything now, it's just too late.
    It's hard to feel sorry for someone who is on over 100,000 pounds a week but did Stevie G cut short the success of his career by staying loyal to the Pool? Should he have regrets?

2004. He admitted he was not "happy with the progress Liverpool has made", and that "for the first time in my career I've thought about the possibility of moving on." Gerrard turned down a £20 million offer from Chelsea to stay.

2005. After the CL final. "How can I leave after a night like this?"

Honours

Liverpool
    Individual

Honours

Chelsea
    Domestic
    Premier League
    Winners: 2004–05, 2005–06, 2009–10
    Runners-up: 2006–07, 2007–08, 2010–11
    FA Cup
    Winners: 2006–07, 2008–09, 2009–10, 2011–12
    Football League Cup
    Winners:2004–05, 2006–07
    FA Community Shield
    Winners :2005, 2009
    European
    UEFA Champions League
    Winners (1): 2011–12
    Runners-up (1): 2007–08

his gran kids gonna get a bit sick about 'that nite in Istanbul'....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

It's possible that he will look back on his career and regret not moving on and possibly win a league title, but I hope he doesn't. The word legend is thrown around loosely, but he really will go down in history as an all time great at Liverpool. Unfortunately I wasn't around to see the club ever win a league title, so for me and many others, Gerrard will have been the best player they have ever witnessed in the jersey, the fact that he is a local lad, supports the club, stuck with them despite having the chance to move on, just makes it all the better really. Even in 20/30 years time I am sure he will still be talked about, and I would hope that this somewhat compensates for the (likely) lack of league medals in his trophy cabinet. 20 players win a league title every season, but players of Gerrards status are much more rare and I hope that he doesn't have any regrets when he decides to call it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Steve Gerrrraaaaarrrrd Gerrraaarrd,
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    He puts in a transfer request,
    Steve Gerrard Gerrard

Steve Gerrrraaaaarrrrd Gerrraaarrd,
    He kisses the badge on his chest,
    He puts in a transfer request,
    Steve Gerrard Gerrard

Coming soon to a junior infants near you :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭newballsplease

Lets discuss his personal life !!!!