Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice- hidden hearing.

• 21-05-2012 12:35am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭

Ive worn hearing aids all my life. These are the analog versions, I have been told I was over prescribed these too powerfull hearing aids for my level of deafness to now I am a base junkie.

Have been called back by the HSE for external digital hearing aids, slowly but surely getting used to the purer more refined sounds compared to the base sounds I was getting from the analog.

I went for a consultation with Hidden Hearing Ireland, and they tested out of ear digital aids on me as they said the power would be the same with in ear hidden ones but I could hear nothing at all! I came out of there in a bad way as the "consultant" told me there is no hope id ever get hidden aids :mad:

But sure I have good powerfull out of ear digital ones off the HSE, I dont believe Hidden Hearing crowd tested me properly so I want to know of other options of good and powerfull hidden hearing aids like my HSE ones.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Hunter21 wrote: »
    I went for a consultation with Hidden Hearing Ireland, and they tested out of ear digital aids on me as they said the power would be the same with in ear hidden ones but I could hear nothing at all! I came out of there in a bad way as the "consultant" told me there is no hope id ever get hidden aids :mad:
    It really depends on how bad your hearing is.
    IMO;
    Extremely bad; over ear
    Very bad; in the ear
    Bad; in the root of the ear

You could check with Bonovox on 9 North Earl St, Dublin 1. No affiliation to them, they're just the people that I've used since I was too old for the public one (NRA?), and found them to be good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Id be classed as a mild hearing loss. It would be shy of "very bad" in your quote and a bit more then "bad" if you understand.

If you or anyone on here is an audiologist I could mail my analysis to them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Id be classed as a mild hearing loss. It would be shy of "very bad" in your quote and a bit more then "bad" if you understand.

If you or anyone on here is an audiologist I could mail my analysis to them.

Mod: asking for someone to read your results would be much the same as asking for a diagnosis, which is not allowed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,742 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I suggest you try another hearing aid supplier for a second opinion; they will usually do a first consultation without charging you.

Your post is not very clear, you are saying you have mild loss, but that it is more than 'bad' and less than 'very bad'. Also if you have been over prescribed in the past isn't it likely that you are still adjusting, so you are not likely to get an accurate reading yet? Did you explain to Hidden Hearing about that situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Kind of understand. How long have you had the new aids from HSE? More or less than a year. I say a year, as it may take time for your brain to hear some sound again, and if you do a test too soon, you'll end up not hearing as much as you should be able to.

Remember; it's not how much you can hear, but what the test says you can hear. Also, although your hearing may not be too bad, it's also what the hearing aid can fix. If you're hearing is bassy (not sure what this means, sorry), to correct it could be outside the "in the ear" tech, so only out of ear tech would help?

• Advertisement
Advertisement