Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man selling cookers

Options
  • 21-05-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 47

Hello all.
    I bought a cooker from a man who deals from his house outside Thomastown in Kilkenny about two years ago. We went and he had nothing that suited us..so he said he had some old cookers that he could recondition. He brought us out to another shed and said we wanted a Rayburn that he had. It was white,we wanted it in black no problem he said and fully reconditioned. Cooker came couple of months after and everything looked grand. "Mutton dressed as lamb".
    He fitted the cooker. All seemed fine. Just a little smokey.
    After a couple of months the bricks started to crumble and holes began to appear in the bottom part of the firebox. Grates were burning out by the new time. We rang him about this but to no avail.
    I got stone countertops fitted around that time and the cooker had to be raised to be level with the stone. My plumber gave me a hand to take it out..and to our amazement he had installed the pipe from the cooker into my chimney with a big 2" hole in the pipe exactly in the cavity of my house. The plumber could not believe that my house did not go on fire.
    I rang him about this and went over to his house but he didn't cooperate. It cost me 70 euros for a new pipe.
    Tried umpteen times ringing him.
    At xmas I rang a reputable cooker man to change the bricks. He came and could not believe the condition of the cooker. It was completey rotten inside and no place for the new bricks to sit. Had to take it out and get a new shell and get it properly reconditioned at a cost of 700 euros.
    This man could of cost us our house or worse our lives.
    I'm wondering where could I go from here with this problem. People need to be aware of this gangster.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ATB
    Teckel

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭plasteritup

i would write off the cost of the cooker,give all the family a kiss and a cuddle,thank god for my life.<SNIP>

i mean every word of that.

sorry it offers no real advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 teckel

i would write off the cost of the cooker,give all the family a kiss and a cuddle,thank god for my life.<SNIP>

i mean every word of that.

sorry it offers no real advice.

I can imagine what you said plasteritup:D
    I don't go about doing things that way anyway. But thanks for the reply.
    ATB
    Teckel

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

teckel wrote: »
    Hello all.
    I bought a cooker from a man who deals from his house outside Thomastown in Kilkenny about two years ago. We went and he had nothing that suited us..so he said he had some old cookers that he could recondition. He brought us out to another shed and said we wanted a Rayburn that he had. It was white,we wanted it in black no problem he said and fully reconditioned. Cooker came couple of months after and everything looked grand. "Mutton dressed as lamb".
    He fitted the cooker. All seemed fine. Just a little smokey.
    After a couple of months the bricks started to crumble and holes began to appear in the bottom part of the firebox. Grates were burning out by the new time. We rang him about this but to no avail.
    I got stone countertops fitted around that time and the cooker had to be raised to be level with the stone. My plumber gave me a hand to take it out..and to our amazement he had installed the pipe from the cooker into my chimney with a big 2" hole in the pipe exactly in the cavity of my house. The plumber could not believe that my house did not go on fire.
    I rang him about this and went over to his house but he didn't cooperate. It cost me 70 euros for a new pipe.
    Tried umpteen times ringing him.
    At xmas I rang a reputable cooker man to change the bricks. He came and could not believe the condition of the cooker. It was completey rotten inside and no place for the new bricks to sit. Had to take it out and get a new shell and get it properly reconditioned at a cost of 700 euros.
    This man could of cost us our house or worse our lives.
    I'm wondering where could I go from here with this problem. People need to be aware of this gangster.
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    ATB
    Teckel

When I saw that, I immediately thought "criminal negligence".

I think that you should have a word with a solicitor, and get legal retribution.

Thanks for the reply ejmaztec
    I don't know if I could afford the legal route. I have being unemployed for over 3 years.
    Is there any governing bodies that I could contact in relation to this matter??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,089 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Thanks for the reply ejmaztec
    I don't know if I could afford the legal route. I have being unemployed for over 3 years.
    Is there any governing bodies that I could contact in relation to this matter??

You could try having a chat to someone at your local Citizens Information Centre and they can point you in the right direction.

You should find the contact details here, along with other relevant info.
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/

The bodge-up cooker guy has proved how dangerous he is to the public, and your plumber probably saved your skin. The cooker guy's obviously a clueless cowboy and I wonder how many more bodged installations that he's done are accidents waiting to happen?:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭mrsbyrne

perfect for the small claims court in my opinion. dont let him away with this.:( Are you in Kilkenny? heres the contact details. Ring the district court clerk, ask him what he thinks.
    http://www.courts.ie/offices.nsf/fd1b5d60ef39f31380256e43003d0107/8dde10a60a35533880256e450050b9ad?OpenDocument

The small claims court fee is 7 euros or something to that effect and the max to win is 1270 euros I think. I would be out of pocket big time. It has cost me to date around about 3 grand. This being the cost of the cooker and the repair work that has being done.
    I think I'm caught because it was a cash deal so I have no proof of purchase. Would I be right in saying this??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

The small claims court fee is 7 euros or something to that effect and the max to win is 1270 euros I think. I would be out of pocket big time. It has cost me to date around about 3 grand. This being the cost of the cooker and the repair work that has being done.
    I think I'm caught because it was a cash deal so I have no proof of purchase. Would I be right in saying this??

Small Claims Court fee is now €25, and the largest claim they can award is €2,000

slimjimmc wrote: »
    Small Claims Court fee is now €25, and the largest claim they can award is €2,000

Thanks slimjimmc for clearing that up it was just through word of mouth I had those figures.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

I'd agree the small claims court might be your only option although he doesn't sound like he'd pay much heed to the judgement you have only €25 to lose by trying.

Not helpful i know but i must be getting old and cranky cus its the fourth time in 2 days i've read a post and thought "you must be nuts". What were you thinking paying that sort of money to to a guy selling from his garage with no guarantee or comeback if something went wrong. I just don't get it, i'm all for saving a few bob but there are some situations that just scream run :eek:

• Advertisement

piperh wrote: »
    I'd agree the small claims court might be your only option although he doesn't sound like he'd pay much heed to the judgement you have only €25 to lose by trying.

Not helpful i know but i must be getting old and cranky cus its the fourth time in 2 days i've read a post and thought "you must be nuts". What were you thinking paying that sort of money to to a guy selling from his garage with no guarantee or comeback if something went wrong. I just don't get it, i'm all for saving a few bob but there are some situations that just scream run :eek:

Maybe you are being cranky but you are right.
    Everyday in life it's a schoolday. I was trying to save money as I wasn't working at the time and trying to build a house aswell. It's a mistake that will not happen again in anything that I buy.

Teckel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭CoachTO

Can you take a private seller to the Small Claims court? Didn't think you could but if you can its good to know. Hopefully everything works out ok for you op. I don't think anyone can honestly say they havent tried an alternative route to buying things when stuck for cash. I know I have.

CoachTO wrote: »
    Can you take a private seller to the Small Claims court? Didn't think you could but if you can its good to know. Hopefully everything works out ok for you op. I don't think anyone can honestly say they havent tried an alternative route to buying things when stuck for cash. I know I have.

Thank you coachto for your kind words.
    I rang the small claims court this morning and the girl was busy that deals with the small claims so I left a message.
    She rang back and I explained my story to her..she actually had a feeling it was going to be this man from the message I had left. Seemingly there are several complaints in there with her at the moment about this man.

Teckel

Advertisement