Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tractor, Baler & Rake suggestions and advice

• 21-05-2012 12:38am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi everyone. New to the forum. Been reading quite a bit on here and wondered if i could have some help.

Trying to save up for a tractor, round baler and rake for use on family farm and to do some work for others. Doing odd jobs at the moment, only 16 so haven't got much money and will take a while to save up for all this I know.

First of all then, the tractor. I'm basically looking for something with 130-160hp that isn't likely to cost more than £12000 second hand. Preferably with front linkage and PTO. Been looking at MF 8100 and 3600 series and some fit the bill but was wondering what alternatives there are.

Then there's the baler. It needs to be net compatible, not necessarily a chopper baler but has wide pick up. And not a belt baler as i hear they have a lot of trouble. I'm not very wise on prices for balers so anything that is cheap but suitable. Age is no object as long as it fits the criteria. Been looking at Welgers but once again open to possible alternatives.

Finally, the rake. Currently have a single rotor rake which is a bit outdated. Looking around for twin rotor rakes but not really sure which makes are best. Again i'm not sure on prices, so cheap but suitable.

If anyone has any recommendations or advice then it would be much appreciated, and also if you know of any faults with anything i've mentioned.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

forget machinery buy cows instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭hedgecutting eddie

Deere 68 or 69 ,welger 220 profi ,krone rake

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 328 ✭✭DMAXMAN

A cheap baler would be a gallignani. they are easy to drive easy to service and cheap to buy. the only thing to look out for are the pick ups. plastic bushes on the tine bars are a bit hard and inclined to wear the tine bars.also the pivot for lifting the pick-up can be abit weak so need checking, but are easily fixed by a machine shop profiling out a new ring and welding it onto the pivot.parts a bit of a problem to get now but i have a contact in the factory that gets me parts. pm me if you want to know more:cool:

Advertisement