Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Good deeds

• 21-05-2012 12:52am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭

This evening, I open the front door to a strainger with a mid to late 60s man with a cork accent, Himself and another Passenger (Also seemed to be from cork, and were very friendly) was looking for a hotel inwich I live not to far from (about 7 miles). He asked me for directions to this hotel, But he couldnt understand them. He asked me would I drive my car in front of him and lead him to the hotel, He said he would pay me. I agreed to do so. Once we arrrived at the hotel I pulled my car and turn it off and got out. The driver got outas will as his passenger, He was full og thanks as was the passenger. The driver went to hand me 10 euro for what I have done, But I kindly said "no thanks." He replied: "Take the money, it only small and you were very kind to do this." But there was no way I would take the money. I turned to the passenger and said: "Tell your friend to put away his money, I done this as a good deed and nothing else." He replied: "If your not taking the money let me just say, "Thanks a million for doing this, It was very kind of you. I wish you the very best." I thanked him and I wished them a enjoable saty at the hotel, Got into the car and as I drove down the road, I thought. It really does feel nice to do a good deed....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Born to Die

Am I wrong to have hope for mankind?

If he had offered €50 would you have taken it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

Third guy was knobbing your house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

So basically you started a thread to gloat about how you did something nice?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,186 ✭✭✭BUBBLE WRAP

Am I wrong to have hope for mankind?

If he had offered €50 would you have taken it?

No

Em 50 euro? I can honestly say, I would have refused it. As 50 euro would seem stupid to take, just to drive 7 miles. :)

Where To wrote: »

Knobbing your house? wtf kind of blokes do you think they were?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

"Look, if you don't want to take the tenner, at least accept a bum."

No

Em 50 euro? I can honestly say, I would have refused it. As 50 euro would seem stupid to take, just to drive 7 miles. :)

Good man.

Stupid phone, I meant robbing his mouse

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I wished them a enjoable saty at the hotel,

A hotel that does Chinese food. Noice.

Keno 92 wrote: »
    So basically you started a thread to gloat about how you did something nice?

Not really, just thought id share as I very rarely do something nice. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Mr. Rager

Who knows? They were strangers. There is always a chance that someone is looking to use you. I'm sure nothing happened but it does sound like something out of Crimecall, etc.

squod wrote: »
    A hotel that does Chinese food. Noice.

My fingers were about to fall of at that stage, forgive the spelling errors. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Lot of folks with visitors knocking at their doors tonight and here's me alone & naked in my gaff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,990 ✭✭✭JustAddWater

Ha the jokes on you... He has a laptop ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

eh... how hard were these directions?

Mr. Rager wrote: »
    Who knows? They were strangers. There is always a chance that someone is looking to use you. I'm sure nothing happened but it does sound like something out of Crimecall, etc.

:(

So who is receiving "knobbing texts" from you? :P

eh... how hard were these directions?

Very hard, It was like, Left, right, right, right, left, take the 3 turn to you left, right again...if you followed them so far you went the wrong way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Squ

I go down to ballyvaughan quite often, i was having a pint in mclaughlins when the bar socket power went.

The owner is a nice aul one, so i said do you want me to have a look?

She was delighted as it had been happening a lot..

Spent max 10 mins fault finding. Turned out the kettle was on the way out..

Heel of the hunt, i was just happy to help, but brucie bonus, she stands me and my wife a couple of rounds each time we go in ever since. Which is nice.

So who is receiving "knobbing texts" from you? :P
    The OP :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

Helped an old lady cross the road once...
    Changed a tyre for another lady...
    Made tea for my folks...

Jeez, I'm a saint. :D

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

A couple I know with a 10 year old boy moved in to a house a few doors down from my parents.

I let my parents know that the kid has aspergers syndrome.

Turns out my parents mis-heard me and have been giving the kid Asparagus as little rewards for helping them in the garden for the last 2 years.

Ya, keep the stories coming. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

*starts car* and where do you live? :p:p:p:p:p:p

Lot of folks with visitors knocking at their doors tonight and here's me alone & naked in my gaff...

*starts car* and where do you live? :p:p:p:p:p:p

PM sent ;)

PM sent ;)

*turns car engine off* :(

*turns car engine off* :(

So....Dolphin head was a bad idea? :(

So....Dolphin head was a bad idea? :(

you went too far man, too far :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Thread is full of fuc.ken do-gooders & perverts...

• Advertisement

Thread is full of fuc.ken do-gooders & perverts...

which one am I? :confused:

which one am I? :confused:

SEXY! ;)

Now I can go to bed, been waiting for that moment all night... :D

I take offence to being called a hippy do-gooder

SEXY! ;)

Now I can go to bed, been waiting for that moment all night... :D

Oh..kay. I think you should go to bed :confused:
    I take offence to being called a hippy do-gooder

I'm guessing you are the pervert. Sorry to break it to ya :(

I'm guessing you are the pervert. Sorry to break it to ya :(

Just as long as I'm not the do-gooder I'm happy...damn hippies, don't shave their pits or nothing :p

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭susita06

humberklog wrote: »
    A couple I know with a 10 year old boy moved in to a house a few doors down from my parents.

I let my parents know that the kid has aspergers syndrome.

Turns out my parents mis-heard me and have been giving the kid Asparagus as little rewards for helping them in the garden for the last 2 years.

That is hilarious !!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

This evening, I open the front door to a strainger with a mid to late 60s man with a cork accent, Himself and another Passenger (Also seemed to be from cork, and were very friendly) was looking for a hotel inwich I live not to far from (about 7 miles). He asked me for directions to this hotel, But he couldnt understand them. He asked me would I drive my car in front of him and lead him to the hotel, He said he would pay me. I agreed to do so. Once we arrrived at the hotel I pulled my car and turn it off and got out. The driver got outas will as his passenger, He was full og thanks as was the passenger. The driver went to hand me 10 euro for what I have done, But I kindly said "no thanks." He replied: "Take the money, it only small and you were very kind to do this." But there was no way I would take the money. I turned to the passenger and said: "Tell your friend to put away his money, I done this as a good deed and nothing else." He replied: "If your not taking the money let me just say, "Thanks a million for doing this, It was very kind of you. I wish you the very best." I thanked him and I wished them a enjoable saty at the hotel, Got into the car and as I drove down the road, I thought. It really does feel nice to do a good deed....

was your house emptied by his mates with a van while you were "busy" leading this guy to a hotel?

was your house emptied by his mates with a van while you were "busy" leading this guy to a hotel?

No.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

No good deed goes unpunished. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

at least they had the good manners to thank you for it and let you know they appreciated what you did.

Others just "expect" good deeds to be done to them, as if it is their entitlement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,538 ✭✭✭flutterflye

Stingey feckers.
    They should have at least offered €20.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 514 ✭✭✭alphabeat

Knobbers

at least they had the good manners to thank you for it and let you know they appreciated what you did.

Others just "expect" good deeds to be done to them, as if it is their entitlement.

Ya, the "thank you" ect. was alot more worth while. But they said they where driving around the area for the last 30min. I was at nothing else at the time so I thought, why not....
    Stingey feckers.
    They should have at least offered €20.

Ah, I didnt mind though, The feeling you get when you do a good deed, Is priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Anyone

No

You're not a taxi driver then.

Anyone wrote: »
    You're not a taxi driver then.

Em, No.

Advertisement