Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WA the most expensive state

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Xavi6 wrote: »

Mod Don't feed the trolls, and no abuse on thread
    Mod No need for personal abuse, and by stereotyping all Aussies on an Australia forum ... not very clever

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9 Rod Hull Roofing

Mod <snip> any more abuse, and I'll ban you from forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭Sundy

more power to you son but for the people blessed with brains, perth isnt a place for them

Sadly this is the thing, Perth has too many Irish people with no brains and they struggle.

If you have a degree (in mining and you laughing :D) /good trade and are mature perth is a wonderful place to live. It's expensive here but I get paid a really decent wage. Saved more in 6 months than I have in 4 years at home.

Yesterday I went to the beach after work. It was 34 degrees at 5.30.

Northbridge doesn't bother me at all really because I rarely go there except the odd visit to The Moon or Viet Hoa.
    Not sure why Irish people flock to the centre to go out anyway. Some of the local bars and pubs are much more fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

nah i'l just squeeze the last of the stupid wages they throw at me to do a simple job and send it back home and use it in an economy that needs it

but i see you're the stereorsonic/ sets on the beach type of person living in this vacuous existence. more power to you son but for the people blessed with brains, perth isnt a place for them

I am curious by what you actually mean by this? Do you think that every Irish person goes to Art gallaries by day and read James Joyce by night? You do know the importance of the pub to Irish culture do you?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Also, if you want to go to a place that has a bit more zip to it then stay away from Perth. Nice place for a weekend or if you are intent of raising a family but for a red blooded Irish person who likes a drink or do anything else remotely cultured then you could not pick a worse place IMO. Melbourne or Sydney has plenty to offer those who are looking for a little more than sunshine and a beach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

jank wrote: »

I am curious by what you actually mean by this? Do you think that every Irish person goes to Art gallaries by day and read James Joyce by night? You do know the importance of the pub to Irish culture do you?
    just ignore him he's only looking to piss people off.

anyway im happy in Perth even if its expensive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Thankfully I'd been in australia years ago so I knew what to expect when my wife and I came out recently for the wages. Thankfully I'm at that stage in my life where I enjoy sitting under a tree by the beach with a good book and a chilled white wine. In time I know I will get bored of that too but thankfully Asia is not far away, trips planned for Bali, Taiwan and NZ next year. Perth is expensive but I don't spend my money here, I'll spend less on a week to Bali than a weekend in Margaret River.

In time I know we will get bored but while Ireland is in the dumps Perth will do for the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭TKline

Sundy wrote: »
    Sadly this is the thing, Perth has too many Irish people with no brains and they struggle.

Perth has too many people full stop, and not enough houses for them, hence the rental crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

TKline wrote: »
    Perth has too many people full stop, and not enough houses for them, hence the rental crisis.
    Its a wonder there is no building boom, I know a few builders and while there is not shortage of work they are not real busy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭The Aussie

Mellor wrote: »
    But you have to admit some of them look good ;)

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=80375112&postcount=3

I see what you did there (me clever I am) you took his post in another forum about wanting the body of a famous Australian male (if your tendencies lean that way more power to you) and put it up here where he is slagging how everybody in Australia is more interested in their looks. kudos to you sir, I am but a mere apprentice...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 Proxima Centauri

I lived in Sydney for 3 years in my early 20's and remember a lot of guys who went to Perth for weekends coming back saying it was shyte, nothing to do etc... i.e. the nightlife was crap compared to Sydney.

I'm in my late 30's now and have to say Perth sounds ideal for bringing up my nippers now, moving there from Dublin late 2013. Can't wait :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

I'm in my late 30's now and have to say Perth sounds ideal for bringing up my nippers now, moving there from Dublin late 2013. Can't wait :-)
    Perth will suit you fine, the biggest hassle will be getting a home sorted, after that it should go fine. Kids will love the beach life.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I said it before, and I'll say it again- Perth is fantastic as long as you can avoid an existential crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

MrCreosote wrote: »
    I said it before, and I'll say it again- Perth is fantastic as long as you can avoid an existential crisis.

Is the probability of an existential crisis high in Perth? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

ive been here (perth) ten months now and i tell you i cannot wait for my visa to expire and i **** off back home. being a social welfare statistic is miles better than the vacuous existence out here in perth.
    but i see you're the stereorsonic/ sets on the beach type of person living in this vacuous existence. more power to you son but for the people blessed with brains, perth isnt a place for them
    Is the probability of an existential crisis high in Perth? :confused:

I'm not sure how likely it is, but it seems when it does strike, Perth is a bad place to have one.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Perth is green, spacious and relaxed - river, beaches, wineries, fantastic arts festival. It's a great place to raise kids.

If you're young and single and want a bit of urban excitement, go East.

Right now, I'm at a Perth time of life. It's perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭onemorechance

I have always had Perth as my 1st choice city to visit in Oz. I think it was seeing Murphy's Australia that sealed it!

I love your description Peregrinus! The place sounds great!

In the fourth programme of the award winning series, Mike visits the city of Perth.

Arguably the most beautiful city in the world, in 1987 it was inhabited by an inordinately high proportion of fabulously wealthy citizens. Also in the programme Mike attends a symphony concert in the bush and farms for gold in
    This show is 25 years old! the outback. He discovers how difficult survival was in the Western Australian desert in the old days and visits the ghost towns and the skeletons of the region's difficult and sometimes tragic past

RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Peregrinus wrote: »
    Perth is green, spacious and relaxed - river, beaches, wineries, fantastic arts festival. It's a great place to raise kids.

If you're young and single and want a bit of urban excitement, go East.

Right now, I'm at a Perth time of life. It's perfect.

Sums it up very well, and it's also the reason I think there's so much hatred towards it.

There seems to be a sweeping expectation that Oz is the land of milk, honey and wild parties. While Perth to a certain extent has the first two, it never has and probably will never have the last.

That's fine by me though, I like things a bit more chilled out and if I want the other stuff I'll just go away for a week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭rightyabe

If Perth was a news reader it would be Ann Doyle!!

Advertisement