Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrading graphic tablet advice

Options
  • 21-05-2012 4:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

I'm thinking of upgrading my graphics tablet (a basic Wacom Bamboo)...what tablet do you use or recommend? Does the bigger work space of the Intuos make a big difference?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭going un-reg

It depends on the budget that's available to you. I've had three Wacom's, and In my experience getting a medium sized is the best option. The small sizes are too small, and the large are too large (you've a tendancy to have to use your whole arm when moving around and can get more tiring).

I'd get a medium sized by preference. Then it's down to the model you wish to get. The latest Wacom tablets are pretty expensive, 400+ for the medium size.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭O'Prez

Out of those Wacoms did you own an Intuos4? I'm hearing varied things about the rough surface.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

I have Intuos4 Wireless - the surface is really good. I'm using it on average 8-9 hours a day, with soft spring-loaded tip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dillonbrannick

I love my intuos4 M, the surface is good, plus does the 5 not have the same surface? Because if it does then I'd get the 4/5(not sure what its like because the 3(used it once or twice) hasn't got great function buttons like the 4 does. Also the intuos has the best pressure sensitivity. As for size I've never used anything else, but I find the medium to be a great size.
    I guess its all down to budget but if you can stretch it I'd recommend the 4 M

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Mister Man

I've a the small Bamboo Pen & touch. I don't use it too much, although I still enjoy using it from time to time.
    You have to think about how often you'll use it. If you don't think you'll use it *that much* go for a low end one, and see how often you really do use & need it. If you use it a lot, step-up to the higher end.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

What do you use the tablets for guys?

I was on the Wacom / Bamboo site earlier and am just overwhelmed by the choice. What I want a tablet for is illustration purposes on Illustrator cs3-5, I'm new to the tablet game and haven't a notion! I'd be willing to spend €300- €450 if it was worth it.

Any help is much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I've used wacom tablets for over 15 years, currently I use a intuos3 6x8 and love it. I use it every day all the time as a mouse and also with Pshop and 3dstudio.

Occasionally I'll get some kind of scrolling issue that requires a reboot to fix but otherwise no issues.

I have a bamboo(?) at home which also works well, its a smaller size but I've used it with photoshop for hours and it doesnt wear me out.

12x12's are okay. Its a lot more arm movement though. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I use mine as an everyday mouse too. I've had carpal tunnel issues in the past and the pen fixes all of that.

No scroll wheel though but you can set it up so that a click and drag becomes a scroll.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭PrzemoF

InTheTrees wrote: »
    I use mine as an everyday mouse too. I've had carpal tunnel issues in the past and the pen fixes all of that.

No scroll wheel though but you can set it up so that a click and drag becomes a scroll.
    There are some pens with scroll wheel - anyone have first hand experience with them?

I have scroll wheel on the tablet, but it would be handy to have one on the pen as well.

Advertisement