Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Protesting

• 21-05-2012 6:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭

Students in Quebec have been on strike for 4 months now due to the proposed increase in college fess by 50% over 5 years. Currently Quebec has the lowest college fees in all of Canada @ an average of $2,519 / year. Newfoundland and Labrador are next lowest @ an average of $2,649. Ontario are highest @ an average of $6,640 and the overall average in Canada is $5,366.

A compromise was proposed to spread the raise over 7 years and student unions rejected this. Another proposal where the Education Ministry said they would try making savings elsewhere and possibly the money to help fund the fees was rejected as it was too vague. There has been protests in the streets on and off for 4 months, but every night for the last 27 nights. The minister for education resigned during the week from the stress of it all. A by-law has passed making it illegal to wear a mask during a protest without some valid reason, to be determined by the police. The police have said they will not enforce this law yet as it is too vague.

Some students who want to go back to class got a court injunction which prevented protesters from stopping classes going ahead.

This was ignored as this video shows:

After this incident last Wednesday, along with incidents where smoke bombs were used to shut down the metro at peak hours, the Prime Minister suspended all classes until August, thus technically suspending the strike, but allowing any classes that wished to go ahead to be allowed to do so. It included fines in the thousands for individuals who tried to block a school and hundreds of thousands if any organised group, such as one of the students unions tried to block a school.

An emergency Parliamentary vote this week, which is due to last a year, makes any protest of over 50 people illegal unless the police are informed 8 hours beforehand.

Last night shortly before the protest was declared illegal and the police used gas and smoke:

Tonight where the sprayed a bar terrace because someone threw a chair at them:

Some photos from last night:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/montreal/story/2012/05/20/quebec-student-protest-pepper-spray-people-on-a-bar-patio.html

What ye think AF?

A spoilt generation that have never been told no? A generation that don't take $hit from no-one? No one protests like the French?

Are they taking protesting too far, or would ye like to see such sustained protesting in Ireland against things like the proposed re-introduced of colleges fees, home owner tax, water charges, austerity, the paying in full of each and every bondholder, the 'Yes' to everything Europe demands?

The result so far of this protest has been the introduction of the two laws mentioned above, no classes for 4 months, the disruption of public transport on a regular basis, the destruction of property, and extra costs in policing and other emergency services which have possibly surpassed the amount of money the increase in fees would have yielded! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Was fine up until the point that they started stopping other students from going in. Then it just got selfish.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

I think paying fees for students should be considered a national investment. As such we should invest in things that are going to pay off:

Science
    IT
    Medicine
    Engineering
    Technology
    Business & Finance.

and not in things that are not:

Arts
    Art
    Irish etc etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

forfuxsake wrote: »
    I think paying fees for students should be considered a national investment. As such we should invest in things that are going to pay off:

Science
    IT
    Medicine
    Engineering
    Technology
    Business & Finance.

Arts
    Art
    Irish etc etc

Ah, a philistine! How cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Ikky Poo2 wrote: »
    Ah, a philistine! How cute!

I prefer sweet.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I wonder how much extra money was spend on the ES and lost due to the protest. To stop someone from learning is going to far. If the students of Ireland went on a strike I think we would be laughted off this island.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

Which Quebec?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,023 ✭✭✭Fukuyama

We have very little worth protesting about. From what I can see, it's spoilt little whingers that arn't used to paying for themselves that do most of the fussing.

We have one of the most supportive social welfare systems in the world and education is, by comparison to our neighbors and other Western states, buttons.

I think there are plans to bring the student contribution charge up to 2,500 next year. So, IF you don't get a grant which the majoirty of people will, just get a part-time job and don't piss you wages against a wall three times a week?? :confused: :eek:

Not rocket science.

It's about time we took a step back from the cradle to grave 'ah sure the government will pay' anyways.

Also, considering some students an 'investment' is laughable. The only return on grant money will be through the alcohol tax collected from it - either no degree or a worthless one will emerge at the end for many of the things I see gracing the corridors of third level institutions.

I say all this as someone entering their third year of college this September.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Which Quebec?
    In town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

There's this weird sense of entitlement in Quebec that seems to be a cultural thing. Add to that the French culture of protest, the history of cheap tuition and a general mob mentality, and you've got an ever expanding group of kids who think that smashing windows and smoke bombing the metro will make the government back-track on something they're not happy about - because it's worked before.

Quebec has always relied on the rest of Canada to prop them up through the billions in transfer payments from other provinces and I think there's a lot of resentment throughout Canada towards them because of that. The way they expect everyone else to foot their bills, and then kick up a stink over situations where they're actually in a more privileged position - students in every other province in Canada pay at least twice what they pay to go to college and you don't see them running riot on the streets.

I've even heard people compare Quebec to Greece over here - this 'spoilt child' mentality where they're expecting everyone else to pick up the slack for their debt and then out they go on the streets, throwing tantrums, destroying buildings and waging violence when something doesn't go their way.

I've got a few friends in Montreal and most of them are mortified by what's been going on there - it seems the students don't have a lot of support in their own province, let alone anywhere else, and most Quebecers are just pissed off at this stage.

I do think it could be a slippery slope for Quebec though as far as a Greek-style direction is concerned - in terms of their debt, their over-dependence on the rest of Canada, the mass protests and the level of corruption in their provincial government. Protests like this don't help its PR machine either and put them at risk of losing out on transfer payments from other pissed off provinces in the future.

The promise to 'aggressively address' transfers to Quebec was a big part of Alberta's last election campaign. If that happened Quebec would be ****ed. And no amount of anarchy on the streets would save them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

Science
    IT
    Medicine
    Engineering
    Technology
    Business & Finance.

Arts
    Art
    Irish etc etc
    politics

fyp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭montreal2011

beks101 wrote: »

I've got a few friends in Montreal and most of them are mortified by what's been going on there - it seems the students don't have a lot of support in their own province, let alone anywhere else, and most Quebecers are just pissed off at this stage.

This was pretty much the case until the the new laws enacted last week; most people think the protesters are at best spoilt children throwing a tantrum, but the laws making protests illegal without informing police first are seen as draconian and unconstitutional.

A lot of the kids were arrested this weekend so hopefully a night in the cells and fines larger than a year of college will learn 'em the difference between protesting and vandalism.

I prefer sweet.:)

A philistine indicating a preferance is a bit of an oxymoron, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Thing is it was in the manefesto of the people in power leading up to elections so they knew it was coming in.

Been listening to CJAD and talking to people there it seems it does not have much backing in the English community and some are saying that the Bloc Québécois are backing some of the students in the protesting.

I wonder if they have anything planned for the up coming Grand Prix

Also the US embassy has told US Citizens to try and avoid Montreal at the min

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Fenian Army

Protest of over 50 people illegal? Hope that law gets ignored.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

It saddens me immensely that my fellow Irishmen and women are content to sit around talking to Joe and complaining on Boards instead of adding their voices to this wave.

It angers me, however, that so many people are not only apathetic about protests, but actively derogatory towards them. Those "hippies" and "crusties" people like to attack on a daily basis are standing up for their rights, the same rights which are being taken away from YOU. The only difference is, they have the will to try and actually do something to stop it from happening.

The establishment's greatest asset is the cynicism of the masses towards popular revolt.

It saddens me immensely that my fellow Irishmen and women are content to sit around talking to Joe and complaining on Boards instead of adding their voices to this wave.

It angers me, however, that so many people are not only apathetic about protests, but actively derogatory towards them. Those "hippies" and "crusties" people like to attack on a daily basis are standing up for their rights, the same rights which are being taken away from YOU. The only difference is, they have the will to try and actually do something to stop it from happening.

The establishment's greatest asset is the cynicism of the masses towards popular revolt.

To a certain extent, I agree with you (in the past far more than now). the probem is, sometimes the "apathetic" are correct. Sometimes it genuinely is an ignorant bunch of hypocrits protesting because it's a protest and for no other reason.

You also have to take into account the tactics used. Barring other students from studying? That's hypocritical. Smokebombs on public trasnport? Borderline hoax terrorism.

Before you protest, you firstly have to know your stance; secondly, you have to be able to communicate it, and thirdly, you have to accept that other people may not want to agree with you. These guys have done none of these thngs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Protest of over 50 people illegal? Hope that law gets ignored.

But thats not the full law you can have a a legal protest with more than 50 people if you give the police 8 hours notice to get enough officers to police it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 954 ✭✭✭caff

The rest of Canada should just give Quebec independence and watch them spiral into debt on their own, problem solved.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Dean0088 wrote: »
    We have very little worth protesting about.

Nothing worth protesting about? Seriously?
    Compare and contrast, please.
    http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/busy-cork-ae-unit-to-close-in-april-170516.html
    THE emergency department at one of Cork city’s busiest hospitals is to close next April as part of a major reconfiguration of the region’s health services.

http://www.irishrail.ie/cat_news.jsp?i=4452
    Iarnród Éireann advises customers that some rail fares will increase on 4th January 2012, following a decision by the National Transport Authority to approve average increases ranging from 6 to 6.7%.
    These increases follow from the reduction in funds available to subsidise public transport announced in the Budget.

http://www.independent.ie/lifestyle/education/latest-news/price-of-education-cutbacks-schools-to-lose-730-teachers-say-principals-2966099.html
    CUTBACKS mean that 470 primary schools are to lose 730 teachers in the next three years, the Irish Primary Principals Network (IPNN) said today.

With the following:

http://www.thejournal.ie/enda-kenny-defends-appointment-of-former-advisor-to-e127000-post-297715-Dec2011/?embedpost=297715&width=300&height=360
    ENDA KENNY HAS defended the appointment of his former advisor to a government job with a salary of €127,000. The Taoiseach personally intervened to ensure that Ciaran Conlon received a salary €35,000 higher than the current salary cap for advisors.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2011/1004/ahernb.html
    Former Taoiseach Bertie Ahern has received more than €10,655 in mobile phone expenses from the Department of the Taoiseach since he stepped down in 2008. Mr Ahern has also claimed another €367,184 under the scheme to employ secretarial assistants. All expenses were claimed under a scheme to help former Taoisigh with administration after they leave office.

http://www.herald.ie/news/this-man-owes-euro28bn-but-gets-euro200k-a-year-to-live-here-2946689.html
    THE resident of this luxury mansion has bank debts of €2.8bn but is paid €200,000 a year by NAMA. Prominent politicians and businessmen have branded developer Joe O'Reilly's position "an absolute outrage" and said "it is no wonder Germany are disgusted with us". Mr O'Reilly, who developed the Dundrum Town Centre, is NAMA's largest client with debts of €2.8bn. Yet it is paying him his huge salary with taxpayers' money while allowing him to live in his seven-bed Foxrock mansion complete with indoor swimming pool, sauna, gym, tennis court and golfing facilities.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2011/1121/1224307907221.html
    A GOVERNMENT backbencher has criticised the Cabinet decision to change the law to allow Ministers to be driven in bus lanes.
    Cork South West Labour TD Michael McCarthy said yesterday it created an impression that politicians were above and beyond the general public.
    The decision to move into the fast lane was taken by Ministers, by way of a majority vote at Cabinet, and was passed by the Dáil on October 18th using a statutory instrument. This is a technical device to process a Government decision without having a debate.

But yeah you're absolutely right, we have nothing worth protesting about. Why shouldn't our fine upstanding political class be allowed to walk all over us while we bear the consequences of their mistakes?

To use an analogy I'm quite fond of, "All hands on deck", they say - but in reality, what they mean is our hands on deck, while they lounge around in deck chairs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

So their method of protesting the increase in fees is to show a blatant disregard for their current lower fees by wasting them. Doesn't make much sense.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Pedant

I don't think the state should get involved in education. Watch the following documentary by Milton Friedman (take note, it's from 1980). There's a debate after the first half of the video.

Pedant wrote: »
    I don't think the state should get involved in education. Watch the following documentary by Milton Friedman (take note, it's from 1980). There's a debate after the first half of the video.

(Haven't watched the debate yet, but will)

I seriously do not think I wuld trust the education of a nation's children in the hands of free enterprise. Seriously. We're very close to Godwin's Law on that one.

(Haven't watched the debate yet, but will)

I seriously do not think I wuld trust the education of a nation's children in the hands of free enterprise. Seriously. We're very close to Godwin's Law on that one.

How could the free market possibly be compared with the Nazi regime? Do you know what education was like in Nazi Germany? It was state enforced totalitarian propaganda! It amazes me how you're just one step away from comparing totalitarianism to libertarianism. It would be impossible for the state to brainwash children in the system that Friedman proposes, because the state isn't involved. Parents could monitor exactly what type of education their children are getting and the type of teachers who are teaching them. It would be easier to get rid of teachers who aren't doing their job, and they will be rewarded by the quality of their teaching, not by how many hours they teach in front of a class. That system would reward good teachers and put pressure on bad teachers to improve or get lost. It would also put pressure on students to make their money's worth of their education. We seriously need to incentivise education, in my opinion.

This is essentially what I wanted to get at. I am impressed at how they stand up for themselves and how they sustain it. They got the Government to compromise twice, but not to the extent they wanted. The minister for education quit her job and also her post as deputy prime minister because she just could not deal with the situation.

However I don't think that in this case that they are standing up for the rights of their society as a whole. It started off as a protest against the increase of the lowest fees in Canada in a Province which is financially dependent on the rest of Canada. Quebec also has the highest student support grants in Canada. Still their right to protest that is fine, but many don't support their campaign and some got a legal injunction which gave them the right to continue going to school. These protesters denied them that right.

Now, after this, the property damage every night and the smoke bombs on the metro, the Government has responded with the two laws mentioned above.

It is now the job of the police to enforce these laws. The police have been on the street every night for the last 27 nights taking abuse for trying to keep mobs of people from running riot. The police have said they won't enforce the no-mask law and even allowed protests to go ahead on Friday night despite it been illegal under the new law. Once the protest comes against the police at certain junctions, such as when they try to walk up a street against traffic, it turns violent, and so it continues . . . night after night.

If the masses are cynical towards popular revolt, they maybe the revolt is not that popular.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

I care little for students in Canada.

Sorry, got problems to worry about here in Ireland first.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    I care little for students in Canada.

Sorry, got problems to worry about here in Ireland first.

You get any inspiration from the students in Canada on how to deal with problems in Ireland?

You get any inspiration from the students in Canada on how to deal with problems in Ireland?

No.

How are a bunch of privileged kids throwing their toys out of the pram and impeding the education of others in a country thousands of miles away going to help me find a job?

Like I said, I couldn't give a sh*t about them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Students on strike ??? Seriously ?? WTF ??

How does a student go on strike ?

No.

How are a bunch of privileged kids throwing their toys out of the pram and impeding the education of others in a country thousands of miles away going to help me find a job?

Like I said, I couldn't give a sh*t about them.

Eamonn Gilmore said it would be a good thing if Hollande got job creation and economic growth initiatives added to the fiscal stability treaty, but is happy to vote yes to it without any of that and makes no mention of himself or Enda getting it added. They are happy that they may be allowed to use up to 50% of the sale of state assets to put into a job creation fund. Enda had said there will be no second vote should the nation vote no. Thus if the nation says they don't like this treaty as is, they won't make any effort to negotiate a treaty which people can agree to.

Would sustained peaceful protest against this help your chances of getting a job, or is sustained peaceful protest possible? It seems that anarchists will eventually infiltrate and it becomes a standoff with police.

• Advertisement

Eamonn Gilmore said it would be a good thing if Hollande got job creation and economic growth initiatives added to the fiscal stability treaty, but is happy to vote yes to it without any of that and makes no mention of himself or Enda getting it added. They are happy that they may be allowed to use up to 50% of the sale of state assets to put into a job creation fund. Enda had said there will be no second vote should the nation vote no. Thus if the nation says they don't like this treaty as is, they won't make any effort to negotiate a treaty which people can agree to.

Nothing to do with Canadian students there. Nope. Still don't give a sh*t about them.

The main thing that will get me a job is not wasting my time talking sh*te on boards.

See ya later!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

Look... let's just keep the protesting in the protesting area, which is in the field adjacent to the car park & the sports track... please note that only placards fulfilling EU regulations with respect to weight, size, accessibility for the sensory impaired, recycledness & recyclability, colour schemes & insipidness of symbolic expression will be permitted.

We have also signed several agreements with corporate sponsors for the protesting area & ask that all those protesting respect the various installations these sponsors have put in place for advertising purposes & to refrain from consuming foods, beverages, etc. other than those of our kind sponsors.

All photographic & audiovisual record of the protest remains the property of the institution, as does any cultural aspect, element or other feature that may prove of commercial value in the future.

The main thing that will get me a job is not wasting my time talking sh*te on boards.

:pac:

Eamonn and Enda approve this message.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭Rented Mule

Inspirational ?

That's laughable.

Inspirational ?

That's laughable.

Dyslexia is no laughing matter.

Then stop posting an average of 6.77 posts a day on boards, you've been doing it since 2006.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

I believe that any protest that interferes with the rights of others is an abuse to the right to protest freely.

Then stop posting an average of 6.77 posts a day on boards, you've been doing it since 2006.

I think you missed the fact that I was taking the piss. :rolleyes:

Sorry I just can't match your epic 11.58 per day average.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

I thought this was a protestant thread...

:P

How could the free market possibly be compared with the Nazi regime? Do you know what education was like in Nazi Germany? It was state enforced totalitarian propaganda! It amazes me how you're just one step away from comparing totalitarianism to libertarianism. It would be impossible for the state to brainwash children in the system that Friedman proposes, because the state isn't involved. Parents could monitor exactly what type of education their children are getting and the type of teachers who are teaching them. It would be easier to get rid of teachers who aren't doing their job, and they will be rewarded by the quality of their teaching, not by how many hours they teach in front of a class. That system would reward good teachers and put pressure on bad teachers to improve or get lost. It would also put pressure on students to make their money's worth of their education. We seriously need to incentivise education, in my opinion.

We're not that massively removed from propaganda - why is Irish still compuslory? Why is history widely available, but philospohy not? Because the later encourages you to think for yourself.

The other reservation I have, and the reason I invoked Godwin's law, is this: that happens to the kids who are simply slow learenrs? What profit-driven school is going to waste time on them? it will be a simplae case of, what can tha tstudent offer the school? Nothing? Then **** off.

Also, the respect shown to teachers, judging by AH responses anyway, is minimal. Give the parents a say and you'll have them forcing teachers to work hours above and beyond simply because your average parent things a teach works five hours a day, five days a week, nine months a year.

What are the incentives for a school that is going to make a loss on the kids who need extra time and extra input?

We're not that massively removed from propaganda - why is Irish still compuslory? Why is history widely available, but philospohy not? Because the later encourages you to think for yourself.

I'd agree. I don't think that the state should provide education, nor set its curriculum. There should be more choice.
    The other reservation I have, and the reason I invoked Godwin's law, is this: that happens to the kids who are simply slow learenrs? What profit-driven school is going to waste time on them? it will be a simplae case of, what can tha tstudent offer the school? Nothing? Then **** off.

No, I'd imagine profit driven schools that specialises in taking care of the needs of special children or slow learners would take care of them. If the parents weren't satisfied with the education their child was taking (an education they were paying for) then they could easily take them out of the school. The thing about private enterprise is that you are required to provide a profit in return for a service, if you don't provide a service (or don't provide a good quality service) you loose profit, especially if you have competition from other schools/teachers.
    Also, the respect shown to teachers, judging by AH responses anyway, is minimal. Give the parents a say and you'll have them forcing teachers to work hours above and beyond simply because your average parent things a teach works five hours a day, five days a week, nine months a year.

I have great respect for teachers, especially good ones. I'm working my way through college with the intent of becoming a teacher, actually. You say that they'll be over worked, but remember that the parents will also have to consider the welfare of the child and that he/she can't be in school 24/7. There needs to be more communication and understanding between teacher and parent, this, unfortunately, isn't really the case in the modern bureaucracy we live in.
    What are the incentives for a school that is going to make a loss on the kids who need extra time and extra input?

This might sound very clinically put, but there are always going to be children with special needs. Where a service (special needs teacher) is needed and there is a profit to be made, then that service will be provided.

• Advertisement

Live stream of the nightly protests.

http://cutvmontreal.ca/live

They walk for hours! Good exercise if nothing else! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

sh1te: deleted as I just noticed someone else made a protest ant joke earlier

Yours was much better though! ;)

I'd agree. I don't think that the state should provide education, nor set its curriculum. There should be more choice.

No, I'd imagine profit driven schools that specialises in taking care of the needs of special children or slow learners would take care of them. If the parents weren't satisfied with the education their child was taking (an education they were paying for) then they could easily take them out of the school. The thing about private enterprise is that you are required to provide a profit in return for a service, if you don't provide a service (or don't provide a good quality service) you loose profit, especially if you have competition from other schools/teachers.

I have great respect for teachers, especially good ones. I'm working my way through college with the intent of becoming a teacher, actually. You say that they'll be over worked, but remember that the parents will also have to consider the welfare of the child and that he/she can't be in school 24/7. There needs to be more communication and understanding between teacher and parent, this, unfortunately, isn't really the case in the modern bureaucracy we live in.

This might sound very clinically put, but there are always going to be children with special needs. Where a service (special needs teacher) is needed and there is a profit to be made, then that service will be provided.

If there is no uniformed curriculum (or at least the base of one) how are universities agoing to select applicants? I'm one of the biggest cirtic of the Leaving Cert, but what it is designed to achieve, it does at least achieve.

I'm not talking about special needs kids, I'm talking about kids who are just a bit slower than their peers or need a little extra time. Where the school is well equipped to help, but will take a hit on profits if they choose to help this kid. Espeiclaly if he still retunrs bad results. And wth free-market, there will be competition, so the other schools with most likely adopt the same appraoch.

The problem with schools for special needs kids, especially outside of cities, is that there won't be enough of them. Who is going to set up such a school, on their own capital, when the demand is extemely scattered?

You have respect for teachers, but you are, unfortunately in the minority. Given half a chance, I think a lot of parents would happily have their kids in school for ten hours a day, five days a week. The excuse? Well, teachers got three months of the year off and only work five hours a day (yes, people really do beleive this).

It continues still, despite 500 arrests on Wednesday night!

I expect they will end up forcing the Government to call an election, which they are trying to put off for another year, a month before the mafia construction inquiry is due to finish.

Students, who'd have thought they had it in them! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

It's not just the students though - parents have been getting involved too - as have teachers. I'm fucking sick of them - it's a 'have not' province and they have the lowest tuition in the bloody country. No else in Canada whinges like a Quebecer.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

I remember the old days when anybody from a middle/upper class family could go up to Dublin and become a Doctor or Lawyer regardless of how they did in the leaving cert. Fees were payed because that was proper order.

The students started it and not many others have become involved, especially after law 78.

I'm not sure what to make of it now! It did seem like they were throwing their toys out the the pram, but maybe there are genuine worries that the increases are not going to go to schooling, but to fund other Government projects like Plan Nord, which is another issue altogether.

It is also true that the mafia and the politicians have been working hand in hand for years now, and not just the politicians in Government; it's expected that all parties will have something to fear from the inquiry.

They complain a lot, but they get their way in the end it seems!

With regard to the fees however, they really are so much cheaper then elsewhere in Canada.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/05/18/how-quebecs-tuition-price-tags-match-up-to-the-rest-of-canada-graphic/

Advertisement