Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Semi-detached house, tyranny of wooden floors!

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭

Hello

In my parents home the neighbours have wooden floors and unfortunately we hear a lot (stomping in heels, dogs, doors etc)

What is more jarring is that we hear the pipes from their upstairs master bathroom. This en suite backs onto the joining wall and we can hear flushing and the pipes going in our living room particularly at night. When it is normally quiet I can sometimes hear doors closing in my own bedroom (which is above our own hallway and not on the joining wall)

I'm wondering if there is anything that can be done? The house was built in the forties I think.

PS Is there any tell tale signs of good or bad construction with relation to noise.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 280 ✭✭engineermike

Hi ,
    Its common enough in some build types of the period - due to different build practices - and regulatory system. Transfer of impact borne sound most likely were not a factor of design - or were mitigated by older more common flooring types in use - such as carpet.

Noisy pipework is also common for the property type - unlikely to be insulated with in the cavity of the wall space / floor area etc. Constant years of expansion and contraction of pipe work will have moved the pipe runs on any timber noggins that hold the pipe work in place.
    N.B - pipes are worthy of maintenance - for both the noise, the energy retained for heat pipes by being insulated - and the prevention of serious damage during pipe freeze etc. - Although feasible access can be issue to the pipes within your property, and the neighbours obviously a non runner.

A whole host of solutions exist - getting a good few quotes and solutions tabled from contractors would be a first step - and look to work with local more established builders that understand build of that period in the locality and can advise on the complications of insulating - fitting acoustic batons - and other remedial measures that may work.
    Regards,
    Mike f:)

Advertisement