Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

An Post not really delivering?

Options
  • 21-05-2012 7:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

Second morning in a few months now that An Post have pushed a "Sorry we missed you" leaflet through my door without knocking, and when I opened the door and called them back, they told me it was in the depot and they didn't have it with them. I live in Dundalk town centre, I know it's only a ten minute walk, but I have an exam today so I won't be able to collect it until tomorrow.
    Are they not supposed to attempt to deliver it at least? Or is it common practice for it to get as far as the depot and they expect you to pick it up? I know I didn't pay the €7 postage directly to them, but someone in Ireland did and it isn't really being delivered in my opinion. Is there someone I can/should complain to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Second morning in a few months now that An Post have pushed a "Sorry we missed you" leaflet through my door without knocking, and when I opened the door and called them back, they told me it was in the depot and they didn't have it with them. I live in Dundalk town centre, I know it's only a ten minute walk, but I have an exam today so I won't be able to collect it until tomorrow.
    Are they not supposed to attempt to deliver it at least? Or is it common practice for it to get as far as the depot and they expect you to pick it up? I know I didn't pay the €7 postage directly to them, but someone in Ireland did and it isn't really being delivered in my opinion. Is there someone I can/should complain to?
    Complain to the person who was posting the item to you and ask them to think about using some alternative delivery method in future as an post are not doing what they are being paid to do.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Depends on the size and/or weight. If it is very big/heavy then no, you can't expect the local post man doing his tours walking around to take it with him (as chances are in general people are not home to accept it and they would need to drag it around for the whole day and may not have enough space for it).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

Nody wrote: »
    Depends on the size and/or weight. If it is very big/heavy then no, you can't expect the local post man doing his tours walking around to take it with him (as chances are in general people are not home to accept it and they would need to drag it around for the whole day and may not have enough space for it).

I disagree, and when I've complained to An Post about similar behaviour in the past they've made it clear that is not their policy, and that they should always attempt to deliver.

In places where the packages may be too heavy for someone on foot, there's often a separate van delivery that covers a wider area with parcels.

ShaShaBear, find out who the manager of your local sorting office is (the place where you collect the package) and let him know. While it is common practice, it's not what's supposed to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Phone the sorting Office in Pearse park and they'll soon sort the delivery, and that postman, out. ph: 9334567

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

Dudara, can we have a sticky on An Post's of 'Sorry we missed you' cards, when in reality the postman could not be bothered to deliver it? The topic comes up every month or two, is not sooner.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Might be able to collect it today if I get out of my exam on time, was just a bit concerned that I might be blowing it out of proportion. It's a dress, and it's parcelled in a bin bag, so realistically I know he could have carried it, and even gotten it through the letterbox.

I'll be sure to ask them, as the last time this happened I told the postman I'm ALWAYS here when he delivers at 8AM.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,449 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

It is disappointing to read that a Company is actually lying to its customers and that this practise has been allowed to go on now for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Tow

It's a dress, and it's parcelled in a bin bag, so realistically I know he could have carried it, .

The size of the item is not an issue, if it too large for the normal postman to deliver on his rounds is should be delivered by van.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

I order online quite regularly. Happened to me very frequently in Ballinteer.

Fortunately the two sites I order regularly from have GLS as an option. They always ring the bell and bring the package.

Avoid an Post and DHL where possible. Vote with your money!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

I've just collected a 'parcel' because the postman missed me on Friday. The 'parcel' is an A4 envelope that can easily be carried and put through the door. It had a sheaf of papers in it so it wasn't overly heavy, so I can't understand why I had to travel to the depot to collect it. I've had numerous things like this delivered in the past, even heavier packages like books from Amazon. I asked the guy who handed over the parcel about it but he just said the postman didn't carry parcels that size. Not very happy about it, especially as the depot isn't open on weekends so if you get a notice on Friday you've to wait until Monday to pick it up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

That would suit An Post, they only want to deal with letters anyway. Anything else is just hassle. They get paid either way.

The reason why I always agree to use An Post is because they call so early in the morning, and if I do miss them I can go collect it, rather than with couriers in this area that I've dealt with that call while I'm in college and then have the item returned as I did not sign for it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Captain Chaos

The reason why I always agree to use An Post is because they call so early in the morning, and if I do miss them I can go collect it, rather than with couriers in this area that I've dealt with that call while I'm in college and then have the item returned as I did not sign for it :rolleyes:

For me the earliest AN Post deliver is 11:30am and up to 16:30 for parcels. The collection times are not suited for me either 6pm pick ups are not late enough.

The couriers I use will make more than one delivery attempt, usually 3 ala GLS. And if I miss on day 1 I can call and arrange a time for the next day or at a different location, or instruct them to leave it at a set point, like a side entrance out of sight etc. Not a hope of An Post doing any of the above.

I order online quite regularly. Happened to me very frequently in Ballinteer.

Fortunately the two sites I order regularly from have GLS as an option. They always ring the bell and bring the package.

Strange, but I would say the opposite. Living in rural Ireland I find that unless the delivery is via An Post we had awful trouble getting our goods. Most couriers haven't the foggiest about areas outside the major towns. Some (and big name outfits at that) even lie about trying to deliver but finding nobody home; only to admit subsequently that they just couldn't find the house. We may be rural but it's 8 minutes from a large town and involves one turn off an N route.:rolleyes:

An Post never fail to deliver and DHL have been decent enough in the past. Different strokes for different areas I suppose.

+1. Give me the service from An Post anyday over couriers.

The couriers I use will make more than one delivery attempt, usually 3 ala GLS. And if I miss on day 1 I can call and arrange a time for the next day or at a different location, or instruct them to leave it at a set point, like a side entrance out of sight etc. Not a hope of An Post doing any of the above.

Again, our experiences are so different. Courier called for directions last week. My OH explained that we were both at work and he could leave it with a neighbour - no could do. Then leave it at the side of the house - no you'll have to sign for it. How about leaving it at my work? - Yes where is it? It's actually closer to you then the home address in XXX - oh I don't do XXX. But the house is literally on the boundry with XXX - no can do. You'll pass me on your way to the house - but I don't do XXX. :rolleyes:

An Post will leave parcels with neighbours, or will leave them at the in-laws 3 miles away; without us having to ask. An Post changed the direction of the route on one ocassion, so my daughter got her exam results before we went to work. I can't fault them, while I dread to see something coming by courier.

My experience matches with others - here in Dublin I've received far too many "Sorry we missed you" slips at times when I was at home, whereas at my parents' rural location, the postman is fantastic, and goes out of his way to ensure deliveries.

I suspect that the urban postmen are disheartened by the fact that 90% of the time there's no-one at home, and nowhere suitable to leave a package (that won't be stolen by neighbours). However it's really irritating to be at home and have them not bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Just got another one of these today. Again, I know what I'm expecting is an A4-size envelope with papers inside, and again I've to make a trip to the local depot. Is there some rule about the size of packages/letters postmen won't carry? The item is classed as a 'package' but its a large envelope.

Why not ask An Post?

I don't think An Post are going to be entirely honest about the situation, since they are indirectly lying by posting the damned thing in my door in the first place. But I will be confronting them when I go to collect the packet tomorrow. It didn't cost €7 just to wrap it up and weigh it, I do expect they at least attempt to take it to my house, or give me a good reason why not!

• Advertisement

I don't think An Post are going to be entirely honest about the situation, since they are indirectly lying by posting the damned thing in my door in the first place. But I will be confronting them when I go to collect the packet tomorrow. It didn't cost €7 just to wrap it up and weigh it, I do expect they at least attempt to take it to my house, or give me a good reason why not!

From past experience, complaining to the guy at the desk where you collect your packet will be useless - you need to get hold of the manager of that sorting office.

The first time I complained about a parcel not being delivered, the guy at the desk, without asking anyone else, or even having my address at that stage, immediately replied that the postman had rung the bell twice and knocked on the door. When I asked how he knew that happened in my particular case he replied "That's procedure" :rolleyes:

I'll be sure to let him know after he says that that I don't have a bell, and that I happened to be standing on the other side of the door when he called :rolleyes:

Advertisement