Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Strange vicious circle

• 21-05-2012 8:26am

This only occurred to me tonight while talking with a friend.

Years ago, I was a born again Christian. I spouted loads of bible talk, my friends laughed at it, but they totally admired that I wanted to be a Christian.

A few years later I started to date a Muslim guy. My friends freaked to f*ck out. I started to read the Quran, not that I was gonna be influenced (I'd already outgrown Christianity), I started to read it out of curiousity and I was horrifed.

My friends who were really fine with me being a Christian were terrified that I was about to become Muslim.

When I told them about the illogical issues of Christianity, they agreed, and laughed.

When I told them about the illogical and frankly horrible truths about Islam, they freaked out and told me I couldn't say things like that. I lost friends, because they said I was "racist".

So, they were fine with me being a Christian, and enjoyed when I dissected and ridiculed the Christian religion.

But they didn't want me to convert to Islam - yet they freaked out if I dissected and spoke ill against Islam, and called me a racist... or just stopped talking to me - they liked hearing about the contradictions in the bible but if it's the Quran it's racist?

So, should I have been a Christian who embraced Islam while ridiculing the bible and honouring the quran?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

It's all absolute nonsense. Just be nice to people and apologise to your friends before they rightfully abandon your preaching ass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Become an atheist, ridicule all religions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Well, you know the way God made us all, right? And he's looking down at us from heaven and everything? And then his son came down and saved everyone and all that? And when we die we're all going to go to heaven?

Well, that's the bit I have trouble with.

I think the first two posters here missed the entire point.

I am neither Christian nor Muslim.

My friends didn't mind me being a Christian but are totally cool with making fun of Christianity,

They did not want me to be a Muslim, but they are totally scared sh*tless of me dissecting Islamic texts.

Come on lads, it wasn't that hard to understand.

It's all absolute nonsense. Just be nice to people and apologise to your friends before they rightfully abandon your preaching ass.

Read and try to understand a post before you spout your sh*te ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Read and try to understand a post before you spout your sh*te ;)

I read all the post. You sound like an arrogant and self obsessed person. The type that needs to tell everyone what you do or do not believe.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,173 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

They did not want me to be a Muslim, but they are totally scared sh*tless of me dissecting Islamic texts.
    Because all things being equal worldwide you're more likely to meet with violence stemming from religious fervour at the hands of Muslims compared to Christians. It was equal, if not worse on the Christian side in the past, but since the enlightenment Christianity dialed a lot of that guff back. Islam never had an equivalent enlightenment(or reformation to drive it).

Islam also tends to cause more bipolar attitudes in people. You tend to get either one extreme of "they're all religious nutbags and savages", or "how dare you, it's soooo misunderstood" at the other. Measured attitudes and approaches seem to be rarer.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 998 ✭✭✭dharma200

well, you spouted loads of bible talk, realised you were deluded, how do we know you are not deluded now? Maybe you are just paranoid and your friends couldnt care less, dont actually know any islamic texts to dissect ( I am sure you will spout some to them :)
    Maybe have a look at being a Jehova, or Mormon, or Child of God or whatever, then youll have plenty of stuff to spout about for your friends to make fun of.

Seriously interesting life.... or not so interesting depending on wether your op is to believed or not, or not so interesting either way..... mmmm...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

Wait ...

Are you in Homeland?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

Try a period of intensive withdrawal. Read neither Bible, Koran, Talmud or any other crap like that for a whole year. Instead, read every issue of the Beano and the Dandy and reflect in depth on every word, every image.:):)

I'm not saying it will make you any wiser, but it certainly won't make you any dumber, either.:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Who gives a flying............

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Years ago, I was a born again Christian. I spouted loads of bible talk, my friends laughed at it, but they totally admired that I wanted to be a Christian.
    Sorry, the "I was a born again Christian" bit must have fooled me :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I started to read it out of curiousity and I was horrifed.

I know, it's shit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

According to ghetto movies and stand-up comedians, only black people can say nìgger :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,191 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Did you not challenge your friends about the racism charge? They do not understand what racism is. Muslims are not a race.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Why do you think they admired you for being a Christian?
    I started to read the Quran
    Swapping one extreme for another? Jaysus.
    My friends didn't mind me being a Christian but are totally cool with making fun of Christianity,

When you hear "christian" on the TV it's mainly about the pope. When you hear "Islam" on the TV, it's usually jihad related bombings.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭funnilenough

the muslims; sure they're a grand bunch of lads,so they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I lost friends, because they said I was "racist".

I'd say you lost your friends more because you keep shiteing on about religion.

I've no problem with people being religious. But it's a personal thing & it should stay like that.

Same goes for atheists too. You wanna believe in God? Cool. You don't believe in God? Cool.

Just shut the fuck up & do it quietly - people have more pressing matters than having to listen to self obsessed people spouting on about what they believe in or don't believe in. Religious people are fine, but overt religious people are fucking narcacists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

Wibbs wrote: »
    Islam also tends to cause more bipolar

I stopped reading here :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

This only occurred to me tonight while talking with a friend... waffle, waffle...

Maybe you should try not saying anything at all from now on!

Frankly if anyone of my friends started going on like you seem to have done over time, you wouldn't be a friend for very much longer!
    Our friendship would break-up after I telling you to "go get a life and live it in the real world".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I have 2 words for you my friend. Suicide Bomber.
    Your friends fear suicide bombers more than they fear holy water - and stop fúcking preaching at people, before you have no friends left!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I've no problem with people being religious. But it's a personal thing & it should stay like that.

I can't remeber who said this, but it always makes me smile when i hear it: -

Having a religion is like having a cock, it's fine to have one, it's even fine to be proud of it, but it's not fine to take it out and wave it around in public, and for gods sake don't try to shove it down kids throats!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

Become a Chuslim...................best of both worlds for you OP!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I can't remeber who said this, but it always makes me smile when i hear it: -

Having a religion is like having a cock, it's fine to have one, it's even fine to be proud of it, but it's not fine to take it out and wave it around in public, and for gods sake don't try to shove it down kids throats!
    :D

I believe it was Cardinal Seán Brady at the recent Irish Catholic Bishops Conference.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Same goes for atheists too. You wanna believe in God? Cool. You don't believe in God? Cool.

Just shut the fuck up & do it quietly - people have more pressing matters than having to listen to self obsessed people spouting on about what they believe in or don't believe in. Religious people are fine, but overt religious people are fucking narcacists.

Well said there star.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions on religion. I just cant stand when you get some preaching idiot who bangs on constantly about religion, just shut up about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

It's the devil they know versus the devil they don't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

OP nobody likes a preacher. I have dumped a friend in the past for being a preacher. He asked me one day if I was catholic and I said I was and then it started. Every time I talked to him or near him he would keep saying that I was wrong. He didn't stop linking atheist material on my Facebook and putting books in my bags. After a while he was overaggressive and started to bully me. He told me and other that I shouldn't be aloud in the course as I didn't "believe in science" :rolleyes: (funnier if you knew he was failing the course). So I dumped him and cut off as much ties as possible. I don't feel bad at all.
    IMO to each his own

• Registered Users Posts: 5,933 ✭✭✭Logical Fallacy

OP, why were you horrified by reading the Quran, I imagine you had read the bible before that?

It's a bit like getting freaked out at Saw and then getting freaked out by Saw II. You kind of know what's coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭whistlingtitan

Duggy747 wrote: »
    According to ghetto movies and stand-up comedians, only black people can say nìgger :pac:
    Unless its between 4.30 /5.00 Xmas eve outside a toy store and you get robbed by a black man who kicks you in the head and piss on you then you can say ******

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Islam n. The third attempt at an all conquering Abrahamc religion, this time with the rules tightened up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Chamone MF

Just don't ask difficult questions, that way it can't be inferred that you are some kind of xenophobic nazi.
    let someone else question the burka/holocaust/gay marriage and simply observe from a distance, this way they get labelled and you get to hear the responses.
    Don't question your right on hipster masters and you'll be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

To be honest it sounds like you need new friends more so than a new religon. They sound pretty weird. I couldnt care less what any of my friends believe or dont believe in. They can say what they want about any religon as so long as theyre not shouting it at the top of their voice in public then anything goes as its in private.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

I don't get the hostility towards the OP - she said she USED to be preachy, that's all some people appear to be focusing on.

Ok, the post is long-winded but basically: why fair game to condemn Christianity, but racism to criticise Islam, according to the same group of people, yet at the same time: not a problem to become Christian, worrying to become a Muslim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

Dudess wrote: »
    I don't get the hostility towards the OP - she said she USED to be preachy, that's all some people appear to be focusing on.

Ok, the post is long-winded but basically: why fair game to condemn Christianity, but racism to criticise Islam, according to the same group of people.
    Mainly due to the fact the common Christans is white while the common muslam is arabic which means her pals are the racist ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

Jeesh OP. Next time you and your friends have a get together you must invite me :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Your friends sound dumb.

Firstly because they can't recognise that you weren't being prejudiced and secondly because they don't know what racism means.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,637 ✭✭✭Show Time

The are all cults for weak minded people to find a sense of being a part of something greater than there normal life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Show Time wrote: »
    The are all cults for weak minded people to find a sense of being a part of something greater than there normal life.

Good job i'm a scientologist so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,270 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Just wait til ya convert to Judaism and try to scorn it afterwards... Then you'll be a nazi!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

go eat some ice cream

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

There is nothing strange about this. Your friends are just morons. Just steer clear of religion op.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭cloptrop

Just talk about the weather and your plans for the summer , stop bothering your friends/hairdresser/girl in the post office with your ramblings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Where's the "strange vicious circle"? Is it your circle of friends? Or is it strange in that the vicious circle is not, in fact, a circle at all?

Advertisement