Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

2 great tackles but 2 poor passes in midfield too, one should have resulted in a goal.

1 of those poor passes I think he got back to make a great tackle. Portugal and the Czechs were very good at putting the back Danish 4 under pressure, plus Denmark needed something at 2-0 down, Agger was trying to force the game and provide leadership, nearly paid of.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

K-9 wrote: »
    1 of those poor passes I think he got back to make a great tackle. Portugal and the Czechs were very good at putting the back Danish 4 under pressure, plus Denmark needed something at 2-0 down, Agger was trying to force the game and provide leadership, nearly paid of.

Yeah he tracked back nicely and made a great tackle, its good to see hes not afraid to do a sliding tackle in the box hes obviously very confident in his ability and rightly so.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I believe he's said since that when we sold Alonso, that he was limited to buying from clubs who owed us money so we wouldn't have to pay cash.

It's a weird one regardless though. He's not a flop because of his ability. It seems to be his mentality that has let us down, which is a much harder thing to identify beforehand. Especially when a guy has never had the experience of leaving home before, so there was nothing to point at to say "we should have known this would happen".

How it's been dealt with since is what is particularly embarrassing though. We should have either forced him to play, or gotten rid. These loan deals have just been a joke.

I think that was the Summer the banks copped about H&G and as we all should know by now, they aren't the quickest in identifying risk!

I think Rafa was promised the Alonso money plus a bit more, ended up with brokering deals to make the balance sheet look better. I think he did say he wanted another CF with Aquilani, to change the system to suit him but of course the money dried up there too and we ended up with the Greek, legend he was!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

600.gif

I have been laughing my hole off all day at this - it's f*uking epic - He looks so stupid!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/13/family-shunted-from-same-liverpool-fc-seat-held-for-108-years-to-make-way-for-more-corporate-facilities-100252-31170846/

Family shunted from same Liverpool FC seat held for 108 years to make way for more corporate facilities

A LIFELONG Liverpool FC fan spoke of her rage after the club changed her season tickets so it can develop the corporate hospitality market.

Susan Roberts, whose two Anfield Main Stand seats have been in her family for 108 years, said the club lacked “honour” and have treated long-standing fans in a “shoddy manner”.

The 67-year-old Mossley Hill resident was one of 55 season ticket holders who were informed that the club wanted to make changes to the stand in order to “better link” lounges and seating facilities in readiness for next season.

The area set for change includes the first five rows of the Main Stand.

All 55 season ticket holders were given the chance to select different seats elsewhere in Anfield.

But Mrs Roberts does not want to leave the seat from where she has watched the Reds from for more than six decades.

Sue, of Fawley Road, said: “Just for the sake of wanting to make money from hospitality clients the club are treating long-term season ticket holders extremely shoddily. There is no honour in what they are doing to ordinary fans here.

“The seats have been in my family for over 100 years and for them to be taken away is a disgrace. My grandmother Minnie Hartley McKnight originally accepted them from Thomas Valentine (T.V.) Williams who worked for Liverpool.

“In later life he became the club’s chairman and was central to bringing in Bill Shankly as manager.

“She knew T.V. from when she lived in a posh house on Marlborough Road in Tuebrook. She looked after him when he was young. When T.V. was at Liverpool he offered my grandmother club shares and she accepted and secured two season tickets.

"My grandmother sat in my seat, and so did my mother Lilian. I’ve sat there for 63 years – since I was four – and I don’t want to sit anywhere else.”

Mrs Roberts’ seats are close to the halfway line and she is able to see monitors showing replays of goals and important decisions due to the close proximity to the directors’ box.

Mrs Roberts, who goes to the match with her husband Ted, said she believed fans would be scattered around the ground.

The former hospital laboratory research assistant said: “They want to split-up a small community. Everyone knows each other. OK, they’ve offered me different seats in line with the penalty spot.

“I’m very upset because they’re not by the people I’ve known for decades. My grandmother would be very angry at this.”

A LFC spokesman said the club would not reverse its plan and that most of the 55 supporters had accepted different seats.

The spokesman added: “We’re committed to reviewing and evolving our matchday experience to ensure that fans get the most out of their visit to Anfield. As part of this we’re in the progress of reconfiguring parts of the stadium to better link our lounge and its stadium facilities.

“This unfortunately means that while some fans may have had the same seat for some time, our circumstances change. We’ll review the seating plan and work closely with those affected and allocate alternative seats nearby.”

Well cry me a ****ing river.

I could not think of anything but Grandpa Simpson as I read that.
    Since Nineteen Dickety Two, you don't say...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭PiE

Same people will bemoan lack of investment in new players.

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Well thats a good indicator that we aint moving to Stanley Park!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

time changes things,you would think after 67 years she would know that, they could always move her actual seat wherever she wants.. as was offered

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

barone wrote: »
    time changes things,you would think after 67 years she would know that, they could always move her actual seat wherever she wants.. as was offered

You have obviously never worked in retail dealing with granny's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

RasTa wrote: »
    You have obviously never worked in retail dealing with granny's.

and hopefully never will :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

I love Rafa as much as the next man but 2005 and 2007 CL campaigns are obviously at the heart of his revered legacy with the club. If you look at Liverpool's post-1990 league finishing positions the Rafa era does not jump off the page. I remember the second half of the 08/09 season and the incredible attacking, devastating football we were playing and thinking "we're BACK"!! And then the way we played at the start of the following season, defensive selections, conservative tactics and ****e results - was such a disappointing period because of the expectations of the previous year.

The point I'm getting at is even if Rafa did go to Spurs I wouldn't be too worried, as one poster said, about cracking the top 4. I think that's gonna have a lot more to do with what we do ourselves. And I for one welcome our new B-Rod overlord :)

Long-time lurker and lifelong Liverpool fan who recently got access here, have enjoyed reading the banter and now joining the fray!

YNWA

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Milkers wrote: »
    I love Rafa as much as the next man but 2005 and 2007 CL campaigns are obviously at the heart of his revered legacy with the club. If you look at Liverpool's post-1990 league finishing positions the Rafa era does not jump off the page. I remember the second half of the 08/09 season and the incredible attacking, devastating football we were playing and thinking "we're BACK"!! And then the way we played at the start of the following season, defensive selections, conservative tactics and ****e results - was such a disappointing period because of the expectations of the previous year.

The point I'm getting at is even if Rafa did go to Spurs I wouldn't be too worried, as one poster said, about cracking the top 4. I think that's gonna have a lot more to do with what we do ourselves. And I for one welcome our new B-Rod overlord :)

Long-time lurker and lifelong Liverpool fan who recently got access here, have enjoyed reading the banter and now joining the fray!

YNWA

Rafa + Spurs are far more likely to qualify for the CL consistantly than Rodgers + LFC......sorry to burst your bubble.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

YNWA

At least under Rafa we challenged for the top 4 each year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

My fear is Rafa could start snapping up the players that we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Did he get the job or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

My fear is Rafa could start snapping up the players that we need.

Works both ways. He could also start snapping up the Babels/Aqualanis/Degens of this world and keep them away from LFC. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

mike65 wrote: »

lol....fair play to him though, good to see players do a bit for the community...

We actually played attacking stuff at the start of 09/10 but leaked goals, many underestimated the loss of Alonso and Lucas was still developing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/13/family-shunted-from-same-liverpool-fc-seat-held-for-108-years-to-make-way-for-more-corporate-facilities-100252-31170846/

Family shunted from same Liverpool FC seat held for 108 years to make way for more corporate facilities

Well cry me a ****ing river.

I could not think of anything but Grandpa Simpson as I read that. I
    Since Nineteen Dickety Two, you don't say...

The club should clearly build a stand for her and all her friends and family and name it after her.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

The club should clearly build a stand for her and all her friends and family and name it after her.

The Centenary?

How can they hold a seat for 108 years? I thought LFC season tickets cant be transfered between people?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

I think Bale and Modric will definitely want to leave now ( even more than they did). Levy isn't really showing loyalty so why should they. This could help Liverpool, as long as Rafa doesn't get the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

doc_17 wrote: »
    I think Bale and Modric will definitely want to leave now ( even more than they did). Levy isn't really showing loyalty so why should they. This could help Liverpool, as long as Rafa doesn't get the job.

Should try to nick VDV off them.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

NukaCola wrote: »
    How can they hold a seat for 108 years? I thought LFC season tickets cant be transfered between people?

That's the plot hole? Not the fact that the physical seat, or even the stand itself for that matter, didn't exist 108 years ago? :D

spockety wrote: »
    That's the plot hole? Not the fact that the physical seat, or even the stand itself for that matter, didn't exist 108 years ago? :D

2370348_o.gif

Rafa + Spurs are far more likely to qualify for the CL consistantly than Rodgers + LFC......sorry to burst your bubble.....

My bubble will only be burst when that eventuality actually takes place, not when you idly predict it will :-)

Of course one of the main reasons I'm not concerned about Spurs consistently qualifying for the CL over the next few years is simply... they're Spurs. Real success is not in their DNA. You also have to laugh at a club who gets rid of the most successful manager they've had in years, just like Villa did with Martin O'Neill. It doesn't take much (a couple of good Premier League finishes) for some fans to really overrate their own club's potential.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Loyalty like what Arry showed whilst touting himself for the England job?

As for loyalty towards Bale, was it not Arry who tried to sell Bale? From a club pov, the club showed loyalty to Bale by twice giving him new four year contracts, long before he became a first team regular, and twice after he became a first team regular the club improved his contract. Spurs have stuck by Bale in terms of contracts/rewards for performances.

If Bale and Modric leave, then Spurs will get huge money for them and be in a position to afford quality replacements.

If Levy has a quality manager lined up for Spurs, then getting rid of Arry could prove to be a masterstroke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

My bubble will only be burst when that eventuality actually takes place, not when you idly predict it will :-)

Of course one of the main reasons I'm not concerned about Spurs consistently qualifying for the CL over the next few years is simply... they're Spurs. Real success is not in their DNA. You also have to laugh at a club who gets rid of the most successful manager they've had in years, just like Villa did with Martin O'Neill. It doesn't take much (a couple of good Premier League finishes) for some fans to really overrate their own club's potential.

Oh god....youre going to fit in well around here!

• Advertisement

Thats probably one of the worst posts i've ever read here.....complete nonsense

Thats probably one of the worst posts i've ever read here.....complete nonsense

Last time they won the league is 1961 and they've been in the top 4 twice (under Arry who is now gone) in the last twenty years. One man's nonsense is another man's easily provable fact.

Last time they won the league is 1961 and they've been in the top 4 twice (under Arry who is now gone) in the last twenty years. One man's nonsense is another man's easily provable fact.

Real success is not in their DNA? Thats why you think Spurs wont consistantly qualify for the champions league? And this is a proveable fact how exactly?

They've been in the top 4 twice in the last 20 years? Why did you put that timeframe on their finishes? In the last 3 seasons they finished in the top 4 twice...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

To be fair, the club dont have to do anything special for her, & have offered her alternative seats, but it would be very easy to handle this better & leave the group feeling delighted with themselves & the club, after all they are season ticket holders.

You invite them along to the club one day over the summer & let them sit down in an empty anfield & pick out the seat they'd like amongst those available & have Jay Spearing or Flanagan or another of the local lads chat to them for half an hour & have a cuppa tea with them & take a few snaps. Have a little ceremony & present them with the plastic seats that they sat on last year.

Boom, everyones happy & they go on being brand ambassadors. You get a feel good story for the website/maagzine (you might even get a few articles out of someone whos had season ticket holders in their family that long) & dont have to dispose of 50 seats. Everyones a winner.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Real success is not in their DNA? Thats why you think Spurs wont consistantly qualify for the champions league? And this is a proveable fact how exactly?

They've been in the top 4 twice in the last 20 years? Why did you put that timeframe on their finishes? In the last 3 seasons they finished in the top 4 twice...

Lads, can't we take it to the Spurs thread.....aren't we way OT here?

Dickerty wrote: »
    Lads, can't we take it to the Spurs thread.....aren't we way OT here?

Sorry.....i'm allergic to bull****e, that poster made me breakout :p

• Advertisement

skywalker wrote: »
    To be fair, the club dont have to do anything special for her, & have offered her alternative seats, but it would be very easy to handle this better & leave the group feeling delighted with themselves & the club, after all they are season ticket holders.

You invite them along to the club one day over the summer & let them sit down in an empty anfield & pick out the seat they'd like amongst those available & have Jay Spearing or Flanagan or another of the local lads chat to them for half an hour & have a cuppa tea with them & take a few snaps. Have a little ceremony & present them with the plastic seats that they sat on last year.

Boom, everyones happy & they go on being brand ambassadors. You get a feel good story for the website/maagzine (you might even get a few articles out of someone whos had season ticket holders in their family that long) & dont have to dispose of 50 seats. Everyones a winner.

**** that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Oh please stop cos my sides are splitting.

The same could be said of Man City and they didn`t do too badly this year,did they?

DNA :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

**** that.....

I concur! One moany oul wan doesn't deserve that special treatment.
    If she was moved from a great spot to a crappy one, I can understand that, but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Would she complain if we did it to create better wheelchair access to the lounges? Would she ****...

Oh please stop cos my sides are splitting.

The same could be said of Man City and they didn`t do too badly this year,did they?

DNA :rolleyes:

I agree completely and that's why as a Liverpool fan I won't be too worried about Spurs in the long run unless they get an owner who's first name is Sheikh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭doc_17

Kess73 wrote: »

Loyalty like what Arry showed whilst touting himself for the England job?

As for loyalty towards Bale, was it not Arry who tried to sell Bale? From a club pov, the club showed loyalty to Bale by twice giving him new four year contracts, long before he became a first team regular, and twice after he became a first team regular the club improved his contract. Spurs have stuck by Bale in terms of contracts/rewards for performances.

If Bale and Modric leave, then Spurs will get huge money for them and be in a position to afford quality replacements.

If Levy has a quality manager lined up for Spurs, then getting rid of Arry could prove to be a masterstroke.

I wasn't aware he tried to sell Bale. When was this?

But regardless, the manager being sacked will still, in the player's eyes, be legitimate reasons to want to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,022 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Milkers...what are you talking about?

Do you think the group of players there give a **** about the last time the club won the league when it had absolutely nothing to do with them?

ManCity's players didn't. Chelsea's players didn't.

The best teams of players have the most success. Spurs currently have a better squad of players than Liverpool. Depending on what happens over the summer, that may or may not be the case come August - we can hope that it's not. But if they still have the better players, they will be odds on to do better than us.

Football when it comes down to it, is a lot colder and more methodical than people like to think. The fans are the ones with the passion and history, the players are the ones who actually dictate the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I agree completely and that's why as a Liverpool fan I won't be too worried about Spurs in the long run unless they get an owner who's first name is Sheikh.

Don`t know about that.

If Bale and Modric do leave,while being a huge loss to the team,Spurs will get an absolute shedload of money for them. If invested wisely they could get 4 or 5 excellent replacements. They definitely have to be considered a threat.

Anyway we better stop talking about Spurs or everyone is gonna get pissed off about it. :D

Do you think the group of players there give a **** about the last time the club won the league when it had absolutely nothing to do with them?

The best teams of players have the most success. Spurs currently have a better squad of players than Liverpool. Depending on what happens over the summer, that may or may not be the case come August - we can hope that it's not. But if they still have the better players, they will be odds on to do better than us.

Football when it comes down to it, is a lot colder and more methodical than people like to think. The fans are the ones with the passion and history, the players are the ones who actually dictate the future.

I agree with you to an extent Rebel.....but i dont think its in your DNA to be correct..... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

There are rumours that Aquilani has had his contract terminated by mutual consent

amiable wrote: »
    There are rumours that Aquilani has had his contract terminated by mutual consent

Corriere dello Sport now reporting this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

about fúcking time.

No that's fair enough and you're right the current players don't care about history. And yes if they keep the current squad/build on it, get a good manager in (Moyes?) then it's a different story. That's just not what Spurs typically do though is it and what's different now? Levy has been there since 2001. Have they suddenly got an injection of capital? New Board, CEO, Chairman? Russian/Arab billionaire?

Fair enough people not agreeing with the opinion, I was expecting a marginally higher level of debate than "that's bull****e" or "complete nonsense" though.

/spurstalk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Corriere dello Sport now reporting this

Meant to have bought out a portion of his contract to get it terminated.

No that's fair enough and you're right the current players don't care about history. And yes if they keep the current squad/build on it, get a good manager in (Moyes?) then it's a different story. That's just not what Spurs typically do though is it and what's different now? Levy has been there since 2001. Have they suddenly got an injection of capital? New Board, CEO, Chairman? Russian/Arab billionaire?

Fair enough people not agreeing with the opinion, I was expecting a marginally higher level of debate than "that's bull****e" or "complete nonsense" though.

/spurstalk

It is though

Kess73 wrote: »
    Meant to have bought out a portion of his contract to get it terminated.

I think I read last week that if he saw out his contract it would cost 12 mill in wages.
    If he's bought out some of his contract it surely confirms he had no interest in playing for Liverpool.
    IMHO himself and his agent haven't helped matters the last 2 summers

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement