Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Delighted for Andy Carroll. It was a great goal he scored and played well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's not so much that Downing can play both sides, moreso that he has never nailed either of those positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Delighted for Andy Carroll. It was a great goal he scored and played well.
    Andy can still be a good player for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

5 posts in about 6 hours - this thread has definitely gone quiet, I reckon joe cole should be made captain with sterling as vice captain, discuss,.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Hoki wrote: »
    5 posts in about 6 hours - this thread has definitely gone quiet, I reckon joe cole should be made captain with sterling as vice captain, discuss,.

That could be an astute tactic, although I'd give it to Doni, on another note, is it the end for Rodgers and Liverpool?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I don't mind it being quiet with the euros on, but I'll be expecting an avalanche of announcements as soon as England have won it! :pac:

Actually there is one small thing, the some of Man City scouting team do seem to be heading our way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mike65 wrote: »
    I don't mind it being quiet with the euros on, but I'll be expecting an avalanche of announcements as soon as England have won it! :pac:

Actually there is one small thing, the some of Man City scouting team do seem to be heading our way.

I saw that earlier alright.

The problem is,they can afford to buy whoever they feel like. We can`t,so are they gonna be any use to us?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,021 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I saw that earlier alright.

The problem is,they can afford to buy whoever they feel like. We can`t,so are they gonna be any use to us?

They've also bought some great young players, who unfortunately wont see the light of day with the big names ahead of them.

To be honest, I doubt the scouts coming in had all that much to do with their big money purchases. I mean, who needs a scout to know all about the likes of Aguero, Toure, Silva et al?

I suspect it's more the likes of John Guidetti these guys would have been responsible for.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭PFL

JOHN W HENRY ON THE STADIUM QUESTION

THE ANFIELD WRAP was recently invited to put some questions on an email to owner John W Henry. Of course we asked the stadium question – here’s his answer:

Q: Does refurbishing and renovating Anfield remain the favoured option on the future of the stadium? When do you expect to make a final decision on the club’s future home?

JOHN  W HENRY: “A long-term myth has existed about the financial impact of a new stadium for Liverpool. Maybe it became a good reason for selling the club at one point.

“Whatever the reason, a belief has grown that Liverpool FC must have a new stadium to compete with United, Arsenal and others.  No one has ever addressed whether or not a new stadium is rational.

“New stadiums that are publicly financed make sense for clubs. I’ve never heard of a club turning down a publicly financed stadium.

“But privately carrying new stadiums is an enormous challenge. Arsenal is centered in a very wealthy city with a metropolitan population of approximately 14 million people.

“They did a tremendous job of carrying it off on a number of levels. But how many new football stadiums with more than 30,000 seats have been built in the UK over the past decade or so?  I’m sure every club would like to move to a new facility.

“We’ve been exploring a new stadium for the past 18 months.  At one point we made it clear that if a naming rights deal could be secured of sufficient size, we would make every effort to build a new facility.

“Liverpool FC has an advantage in being a global club and a naming rights deal could make a new stadium a reality. It is something we are working on. There has been interest.

“Going in the other direction, many football clubs have successfully enlarged their seating capacity. LFC has had plans to expand the main stand at Anfield. But this avenue has been very difficult for the club over the past couple of decades.

“There are homes behind the main stand. Expansion of the main stand would have to be a priority for the city, community and immediate neighborhood in order for that to occur. And there are many people who feel this expansion should be welcomed.  This issue is vital to the neighborhood’s future, but we cannot and will not act unilaterally.

“While a new stadium or an expansion of Anfield is beneficial over the long-term for the club, the financial impact of adding seats and amenities should be put into perspective. That’s why I say that it is a myth that stadium issues are going to magically transform LFC’s fortunes.  Here is a chart based on 10/11 match-day revenue.

“Can Liverpool as a community afford Chelsea or Arsenal prices?  No.”It is often said that for Liverpool to compete in match-day revenue with United, Arsenal and Chelsea, we need a new stadium.  But you can see that the £50 or £60 million differences stem as much from revenue per seat as from the number of seats.

Even if Liverpool were able to get to 60,000 seats, there would have to be an increase from £900 to £1550 in revenue per seat as well to catch Arsenal.
    “If Anfield yielded £1550 per seat, without adding seats, LFC match-day revenue would rise from £41M to £71M.  That would be the same as building a new stadium with 60,000 seats or increasing seating at Anfield and increasing revenue per seat to £1170.

“There also is this feeling that if you add concessions and amenities such as Arsenal did at Emirates, your “per-cap” (how much is spent on concessions per person) goes way up, but the last time we checked the per-cap at Emirates was only £0.50 higher.

“The allure of a new stadium and/or refurbishment is no different at Anfield then it is anywhere in the world. New stadiums increase revenues primarily by raising ticket prices – especially premium seating.

“In America, as an example, 3 NFL (American football) clubs have moved into new stadiums over the past 3 years.  The New York Jets average ticket price rose by 32% when they moved into their new stadium.  The New York Giants rose by 26% and the Dallas Cowboys rose by 31%.  In baseball, ticket prices rose 76% when the New York Yankees moved into their new stadium 3 years ago.

“At Emirates Stadium match-day revenues rose 96% the first year while seats had increased 57%.

“Building new or refurbishing Anfield is going to lead to an increase from £40M of match-day revenue to perhaps £60-70M if you don’t factor in debt service.
    “That would certainly help, but it’s just one component of LFC long-term fortunes. Our future is based not on a stadium issue but on building a strong football club that can compete with anyone in Europe.

“This will be principally driven financially by our commercial strengths"

http://www.theanfieldwrap.com/2012/06/john-w-henry-on-the-stadium-question/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 886 ✭✭✭witnessrenegade

Any links out their for the Rodgers interview that he has done for LFC.TV? Used to be able to get them on Youtube but they seem impossible to find now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

jebidiah wrote: »
    Would have been funny if ya replaced Kenny with Hodgson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

"Liverpool will pay in excess of the £6.8m fee Swansea agreed last month."

Hmm. How much would yea say he is worth?

I'd say he's a 10 million player bearing in mind his potential at 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

We were always going to end up paying more than Swansea as I would say a set price of £6.8 for Swansea was built into a buy option as part of the loan deal. Still I wouldn't want us paying anymore than £10m.

Opr

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

He's worth every penny of the asking price be it £6.8M or £9M. Just hope we get this wrapped up as soon as possible for once!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

-Ade- wrote: »
    He's worth every penny of the asking price be it £6.8M or £9M. Just hope we get this wrapped up as soon as possible for once!

Totally agree. He is the type of player that could easily be worth £20m+ in 12 months time. Loads of potential to get a hell of a lot better, but enough current ability to be able to step into the current team and improve it by doing so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Rodgers has handled this brilliantly!!

Ben Smith also mentioned on twitter we're trying to get a deal done for Joel Pohjanpalo. The kid who scored the perfect hattrick a while back. We had him on trial last year at some stage.

I think strikers are the main area at youth level we could really do with strengthening.
    *Cough* Bentinho *Cough*.

Opr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Does anyone know did Rodgers go out to the Spain camp as previously planned before he got the LFC job?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Kess73 wrote: »

Totally agree. He is the type of player that could easily be worth £20m+ in 12 months time. Loads of potential to get a hell of a lot better, but enough current ability to be able to step into the current team and improve it by doing so.

You're playing too much football manager !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Slattsy wrote: »

Really?

G.K. wrote: »

Really?

Yeah

Can you buy me and Kess a copy?

Ta.

Can you buy me and Kess a copy?

Ta.

A free copy would be nice. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

if Kess gets a free copy ehn I want a free copy.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

That may have been my most expensive post yet !!

Actually could I get a free copy of Fifa13 later in the year instead of Football Manager?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Can i get a free hug instead?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

/web cuddle.

Some story on caught offside about Ferguson taking an interest in our Icelandic lad.
    Either that or he is just trying to ram the price up obviously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

/web cuddle.

Some story on caught offside about Ferguson taking an interest in our Icelandic lad.
    Either that or he is just trying to ram the price up obviously.

Ferguson?

As in Alex "Charlie Adam's corners are worth 10m alone" Ferguson?

Balls.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

Lads,

For anyone who keeps a diary on a smartphone, in MS Outlook or in Google you should check out http://www.fixturebox.com. You can choose the teams you are interested in and the app will not only pop them into your diary but will keep them updated should a particular fixture change. I've been using it for the Euro's and it's very good. I'll also now use it for LFC and Ireland (football and rugby) matches. It's real handy to have these in your diary way ahead of time so when your missus suggests a meal out or whatever you can dodge the bullet if there is a match on :D

Nothing worse than being sat in some dopey Chinese playing footsie when all you can think about is the match you're missing ;)

Ben

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Fixtures announced tomorrow morning. I are excite.

Away to Swansea City, I can feel it.

• Advertisement

BenThere wrote: »
    Lads,

For anyone who keeps a diary on a smartphone, in MS Outlook or in Google you should check out http://www.fixturebox.com. You can choose the teams you are interested in and the app will not only pop them into your diary but will keep them updated should a particular fixture change. I've been using it for the Euro's and it's very good. I'll also now use it for LFC and Ireland (football and rugby) matches. It's real handy to have these in your diary way ahead of time so when your missus suggests a meal out or whatever you can dodge the bullet if there is a match on :D

Nothing worse than being sat in some dopey Chinese playing footsie when all you can think about is the match you're missing ;)

Ben

So a woman being frisky with ya and who might want to rumble in the bedroom later comes second to thinking about twenty two men in shorts?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Kess73 wrote: »
    So a woman being frisky with ya and who might want to rumble in the bedroom later comes second to thinking about twenty two men in shorts?

He's only interested in 11 though ;)

Isn't Caught Offside just tabloid gutter that no one takes seriously or am I thinking of something else? Unless the lad is happy to be a bench player, United won't sign Sigurdsson. Maybe before they would have if they missed out on Kagawa.

Away to Swansea City, I can feel it.

If that happens, then the fixtures are definitely rigged rather than random!

Any players from the Euros you'd want to see at Anfield next season? I'm not really a fan of just getting a player based on a World Cup or Euros, but it's quiet on this thread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Pilar looks handy, pity Wolfsburg nabbed him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Dzagoev would be a nice option on the right. Arsenal are looking at him apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Glenn Whelan to add some much needed steel, awareness and technical ability to our midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Glenn Whelan to add some much needed steel, awareness and technical ability to our midfield.

We need a centre back to replace Skittles, perhaps a swoop for St. Ledger?

Gebre Selassie on the Czech team has been impressive!

With Glen also on his way out lets go get Theodor Gebre Selassie.

Edit - Great minds!

Opr

Jamie Carragher: "Liverpool almost signed Mario Gomez before we moved for Carroll. It fell through at the last minute."

:(

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

opr wrote: »
    Jamie Carragher: "Liverpool almost signed Mario Gomez before we moved for Carroll. It fell through at the last minute."

:(

Opr

Was widely discussed here at the time. Concensus from a lot of people was that he wasn't good enough for Liverpool.

He's just had a stinker of a spell couldn't score for toffee. 2009/2010 scored 10 goals.

He's just had a stinker of a spell couldn't score for toffee. 2009/2010 scored 10 goals.

But got about 40 goals last season.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement