Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,070 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Super-Rush wrote: »
    So, realistically, who would people like to be the new signing?

I'd like to see us go for Muniain from Bilbao.

Quick, skillful, can create and score and could be got for 15-18 million.

You know Suarez played as a wide left striker for Ajax, and not on the right? That's the position I've seen him in for Uruguay too. Also, there's no way we should start the season with Carroll as our main striker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

He's not been an excellent player for England or Liverpool in a long time tbh. Certainly not close to what's needed from a Liverpool CM if we are to make a challenge for 4th.

He has potential, but he's miles away currently.

He has been excellent for England in the last 3 games.

Agreed, he hasn't been at his best at Liverpool since he's moved out of the AM slot where he played off Torres.

But he's the least of our worries. The fact that Spearing and Adam are playing regularly is of much more concern.

Gerrard has still alot to offer Liverpool.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

djPSB wrote: »

Agreed, he hasn't been at his best at Liverpool since he's moved out of the AM slot where he played off Torres.

But he's the least of our worries. The fact that Spearing and Adam are playing regularly is of much more concern.

Keith Andrews has been excellent for Ireland, doesn't mean good enough to be a CM in Liverpool though. I feel the same about Gerrard, excellent for England doesn't mean he good enough for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Keith Andrews has been excellent for Ireland, doesn't mean good enough to be a CM in Liverpool though. I feel the same about Gerrard. Excellent for England doesn't mean he good enough for us.

Ahh now. I get what you're saying, two similar systems employed by both teams, but to even compare Gerrard and Keith Andrews is beyond mental.

In fact, the more I think about it the more mental it gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Scholes didn't get forward much this season. He was fairly static in midfield keeping the play ticking over. Which is why he had such a high pass completion ratio.

Essien and Lampard play as part of a 3 man central midfield with Mikel or Romeu filling the defensive midfielder slot.

I'm thinking more over the last few years, in league winning teams. There is no reason that Lucas and Gerrard couldn't work, they have done so many times, but usually with two wingers who don't drop in the middle when Gerrard gets forward. If we can organize ourselves properly, we can give Gerrard the free reign he needs to be effective...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

We need to stop relying on Gerrard.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ahh now. I get what you're saying, two similar systems employed by both teams, but to even compare Gerrard and Keith Andrews is beyond mental.

In fact, the more I think about it the more mental it gets.

I never compared them though. When I said I feel the same about Gerrard I feel his "excellent" performances for England won't transfer to Liverpool.

Keith Andrews has been excellent for Ireland, doesn't mean good enough to be a CM in Liverpool though. I feel the same about Gerrard. Excellent for England doesn't mean he good enough for us.

You are deluded.

Dickerty wrote: »
    Scholes didn't get forward much this season. He was fairly static in midfield keeping the play ticking over. Which is why he had such a high pass completion ratio.

Essien and Lampard play as part of a 3 man central midfield with Mikel or Romeu filling the defensive midfielder slot.

I'm thinking more over the last few years, in league winning teams. There is no reason that Lucas and Gerrard couldn't work, they have done so many times, but usually with two wingers who don't drop in the middle when Gerrard gets forward. If we can organize ourselves properly, we can give Gerrard the free reign he needs to be effective...

We won't be playing a 4-4-2 anyway so it's irrelevant IMO.

• Advertisement

Gerrard cannot play as a CM playmaker for Liverpool.

Anyone who thinks he can hasn't a clue.

There is a place on the team for him however, but it ain't in the middle in that role.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Almost forgot, but going from the Euros. Konoplyanka has really impressed me playing on the LW for Ukraine. Still young, only 22 and playing for Dnipo in the Ukrainian league.

I would add Pilar too, but there's little point talking about him given the fact he's heading off to Wolfsburg for the measly sum of a million euro or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

-Ade- wrote: »
    Almost forgot, but going from the Euros. Konoplyanka has really impressed me playing on the LW for Ukraine. Still young, only 22 and playing for Dnipo in the Ukrainian league

Ya he had a great game against England. Him and Selassie have been the standouts so far for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Not suggesting for one minute we should go near him but Georgios Samaras has really impressed in this tournament. Such a pity he doesn't show the kind of drive/determination in all the games he plays as I feel he could be a top player if he did. Has bags of skill/pace and showed against Russia he can be unplayable when he's up for the game.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,595 ✭✭✭kingshankly

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Gerrard cannot play as a CM playmaker for Liverpool.

Anyone who thinks he can hasn't a clue.

There is a place on the team for him however, but it ain't in the middle in that role.

I disagree he's the most creative midfielder we have in the club and would be brilliant beside lucas
    And I guarantee if you ask suraz or Carroll who would they like most in midfield supplying them I'll have my house on it they say gerrard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,198 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I disagree he's the most creative midfielder we have in the club and would be brilliant beside lucas
    And I guarantee if you ask suraz or Carroll who would they like most in midfield supplying them I'll have my house on it they say gerrard.

You say this as if it hasn't been done before. He's played in a 2 man midfield with Lucas, and left Lucas to deal with everything by getting caught out of position. In a 3 man midfield, fine, but he can't do the job effectively in a 2 man midfield with any expectations of holding onto the ball.

He's been great for England, but their expectations and his role have been different. If they were dominating teams it would be something, but all three of Ukraine, France and Sweden have won the midfield battle for possession, with England winning the defensive battle and getting the breaks the needed. Incidentally, all of his assists have come from the right side, not from him playing through the centre. Something to be considered.

• Advertisement

Gerrard has played beside Lucas on numerous occasions to disastrous effect. It usually ends up with just Lucas in the centre trying to cope on his own with us getting cut through at will. Times when the opposition played three against us we got destroyed with him and Lucas in the centre. As others have said Liverpool/Gerrard having to dictate games from the centre against most teams in the PL is miles apart from the role he's currently playing with England. Not to mention you're completely wasting most of Gerrard's best attributes when he plays in the centre.

Opr

The older gerrard gets the more disciplined he will become as the he isn't fit to get on the end of his own crosses any more.
    I expect to see him play central midfield a lot more next year so this argument will be settled soon

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

To use some poker/gambling terminology it is short term results based thinking to suggest that Gerrard should play in CM for us next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I see The mirror are saying City are willing to pay 20 mill for Skrtel.
    Duncan Jenkins says his head has already been turned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

amiable wrote: »

£20m? If true I would take it and bring in Yanga-Mbiwa for about half that amount at most, probably a bit less given that he is in the final year of his contract.

• Advertisement

Skirtel 20 million without agger thank you very much

£ or €? Hard to imagine us holding onto him. We will have to turn down a massive bid plus also match whatever silly wages City are prepared to offer him :(

Edit - One of the other major problems is surely the likes of Suarez won't be happy watching us sell players.

Opr

Gebre selassie has impressed me and wouldn't cost to much to take him from liberac

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

opr wrote: »

£ or €? Hard to imagine us holding onto him. We will have to turn down a massive bid plus also match whatever silly wages City are prepared to offer him :(

Edit - One of the other major problems is surely the likes of Suarez won't be happy watching us sell players.

Opr
    Sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

Gebre selassie has impressed me and wouldn't cost to much to take him from liberac

Id rather we spent our money on higher priority positions , we have ample cover at right back with Johnson, Kelly & Flanagan.

Sterling

They want him as well? They can **** off!

Opr

Hoki wrote: »
    Id rather we spent our money on higher priority positions , we have ample cover at right back with Johnson, Kelly & Flanagan.

Yeah but Johnson is off to Real Madrid. Don't you read the newspapers?

Opr

I'd bag Skrtel's bags and give him a lift at £20m.

I'd bag Skrtel's bags and give him a lift at £20m.

You would be silly so because if he does go to City I think they will end up paying £25m+. Just because you conceive it to be a good offer doesn't mean we shouldn't try to ride them for more, it being City and all.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

20 mill?? Bite their hand off. That would be a savage bit of business.

Skrtel doesn`t look half as good when Agger isn`t beside him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Maybe Damo is dealing for them.

You would be silly so because if he does go to City I think they will end up paying £25m+. Just because you conceive it to be a good offer doesn't mean we shouldn't try to ride them for more, it being City and all.

Opr

They might, however it's not an issue I want dragged on throughout the summer and then have him leave late August. I'd also be pretty pissed off if we said £25m or nothing and then they went after someone else. More than happy taking £20m at this early stage and giving us plenty of time to investing it to improve the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

The Mirror's article

Brendan Rodgers faces his first major battle as Liverpool boss with Manchester City ready to move for defender Martin Skrtel.

In a classic case of good news bad news for Rodgers, centre-half and Denmark Euro 2012 star Daniel Agger has expressed his desire to extend his Anfield contract.

But the other half of last season’s impressive central defensive partnership, Skrtel, is the focus of serious interest from Roberto Mancini’s title winners.

And that will present a big test for Rodgers, who will meet the defender in an attempt to persuade him to remain with ­Liverpool.

Skrtel got married at the weekend and has put any question of his future on hold until he returns from his honeymoon in a fortnight.

City though, are preparing a £20million bid, with boss Roberto Mancini settled on the Slovakia defender as his main transfer target after being priced out of a move for Brazil star Thiago Silva.

His Italian club AC Milan want £35m for the 27-year old, and Mancini sees the dependable Skrtel - voted Player of the Year at the Reds last season - as a better bet.

Siva and gold: Milan's valuation for the Brazilian has put even City off
    Getty

After four years at Anfield, he has also been the subject of interest from moneybags Russian side Anzhi Makhachkala.

Yet City have the financial muscle to compete with any club, and the defender certainly hasn’t ruled out a move to the Premier League champions, after admitting his frustration at Liverpool’s eighth-placed finish and failure to reach the ­Champions League.

The Reds were hoping to persuade Skrtel to pen a new contract, but it seems it is Agger who will be first to extend his current deal, after he returned from Euro 2012 ready to negotiate.

“It’s no secret that I’m happy to be in Liverpool. Otherwise, I would not have been there for six years,” he told sporten.dk.

“I have not yet discussed a new contract but if they come with an offer I will surely sit down and talk with them. If they ask, I will listen.”

Alberto Aquilani will also return to Liverpool after failing to agree terms for his release.

The misfit Italian midfielder wanted a free transfer AND a pay-off to leave Anfield, and understandably, the Reds have baulked at that deal.

Rodgers though, wants rid of the Italy international after his failure to settle in the Premier League.

The new boss will negotiate hard in the coming weeks to get his £80,000-plus a week wages off the books.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Alberto Aquilani will also returnto Liverpoolafterfailing to agreeterms for his release.

The misfit Italian midfielder wanted a free transfer AND a pay-off to leave Anfield, and understandably, the Reds have baulked at that deal.

Wouldnt surprise me one bit, the little tart.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,516 ✭✭✭Hoki

£20m is a massive price for Skrtel in fairness, id value him at between £12-£15m. £20m would nearly double our supposed transfer kitty & i think a good replacement could be gotten & still have plenty of change leftover to strengthen elsewhere.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Opr

This! Get every last cent for him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

£20m is £2m in LFC$ in recent years.
    Hopefully that will change and we will be capable of getting value when we buy.

If we aren't, we are much better off not selling.

£20m is £2m in LFC$ in recent years.
    Hopefully that will change and we will be capable of getting value when we buy.

If we aren't, we are much better off not selling.

Depressing reading when you look at the figures. We've raised around £160m in player sales over the last three seasons. Who have we bought to replace the key players sold that could be regarded as on a similar level, Suarez is about it?

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

Ideally id like to keep Skrtel,once we had a set back four last season we were great at the back. Himself and agger have a great understanding and skrtel has thrived beside him the last two seasons moreso than the other way around.

£20 million would get us a cracking centre back though. Subotic would be immense but very hard to lure!Kjaer maybe just because him and agger could settle and Coates imo will be our long term centre back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Gerrard the swashbuckler is finished. However, when he is 42 he will still be better than Spearing ever will be.

Its easy to pick out games where things dont work, the Bolton game was a disgrace but it wasnt all down to set up, it was attitude from many. But what about when it does work?, like away at Chelsea?.

Gerrard can and will have a vital role (on and off the pitch imo). He has spent his career for us trying to make things happen at the business end of the pitch and im sorry but some of his colleagues down the years are just not on the guys wavelength or close to his ability.

He isnt the dogs boll*cks is all areas........but if we got 2 more of him from the academy in the next few years we would and should sing from rooftops.

Aquilani can fk off. Would gladly drive the man to John Lennon airport at the sniff of cash. He has issues, mental issues. Skrtel can share the car too if there was a bid of 12m+ (obviously id hold out for Milner money if City wanted a piece). For me, CB is probably the easiest area of the pitch to pick up a bargain.

The fact we have coates and martin Kelly makes it a no brainer to sell skirtel for 20 million who up until last year had looked average at best

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The fact we have coates and martin Kelly makes it a no brainer to sell skirtel for 20 million who up until last year had looked average at best

Maybe it would be beneficial to have him for one more year, as Kelly is still pretty green and Coates will need another year to bed into the English game.

Not sure if this was posted, but the Daily Mail ran with Reina to AC Milan yesterday....

My worry is that in selling Skrtel, what quality of player can we attract without CL football? That will limit our scope a little. I would prefer to buy someone with experience to cover for a starting pairing of Coates (who has a lot of Skrtel about him) and Agger, with Carra and Kelly also able to cover.

But we have to show that any income from his sale would be over and above what we were planning to spend. Upgrade our plans in other positions. Our net spend still needs to be £20M+...

And I wouldn't feel bad about being a "selling" club, as we've sold Torres, Alonso and Mascherano. We made good money, and the latter 3 all wanted to leave. We get a good price and move on.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Dickerty wrote: »

And I wouldn't feel bad about being a "selling" club, as we've sold Torres, Alonso and Mascherano. We made good money, and the latter 3 all wanted to leave. We get a good price and move on.

Move on to what though? :eek:

I don't think either are fully prepared for a full season at CB. Coates had good and bad games tbh he's still not the finished article.

Has Kelly even played CB for us in the league? I know his best position is supposed to be CB but is it anymore?

Also, you have to factor in a certain Agger injury into equation, which is why a decent replacement has to come in if Skrtel goes.

We've been replacing good players for inferior ones now for a good few years, I'd hate to see that trend continue.

Saying all that £20m+ for Skrtel would be hard to resist.

• Advertisement

Some very good stats here on some of the players featured in the last few pages -

http://www.eplindex.com/14807/liverpool-opta-stats-season-review-11-12-part-one-defence.html

Interesting Stat 1 - Skrtel won 80% of aerial duels, highest of all our defenders by 16%. Of the 59 Premier League players to have won 40 or more aerial duels this season no other player has won a higher percentage (remembering that Vidic was injured). No wonder City are interested.
    Interesting Stat 2 - Enrique won 81% of tackles, highest of any defender.
    Interesting Stat 3 - Henderson won 84% of tackles, highest of anyone in the side. Of all the PL players to win 40 or more tackles last season, only 5 players won a higher proportion.

The latter kind of debunks the myth that Henderson couldn't play CM cause he can't tackle.

Can't see it happening I'm sure he looks at city with kompany and lescott and realise there will be a lot of sitting down time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,139 ✭✭✭flanzer

What about replacing Skrtel with the other Danish centre back, Simon Kjaer? We were linked with him a number of seasons back. I don't think Roma have signed him permanently yet

You don't think he'd get in ahead of Lescott? Sure he would. Kompany is the more cultured type, they need someone hardnosed to deal with the more direct teams. I think they'd be a great partnership.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

Can't believe people are so receptive to the idea of cashing in on Skrtel. For years he's got nothing but abuse but now that he's performing to a high standard again, people think he's dispensable for the right price.

Loyalty for some, none for others. I wonder what those who'd like to sell him at the right price would say if his replacement ended up being a donkey?

Bar the latter end of the season, the defence was rock solid. Don't ****ing mess with a winning formula.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement