Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Lots of talk on the Spurs side that a deal for Siggurdsson will be announced Monday. They have to wait until the loan deal expires with Swansea before they can make it public. I know you could say the same thing for why we've not announced anything but when you consider the back tracking Jenkins did with some other decent sources saying he had a medical and his representatives were in the country during the week but not to see Liverpool, I think Spurs looks the more likely destination at this stage.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Keith Andrews has been snapped up by Bolton, I don't know if that might add anything to the possibility of Davies coming to us...

I have to admit that I know very little about Davies, so to outright slate the signing is probably unfair, but really it would be a pretty uninspiring signing. A player who played in a very poor relegated Bolton team and ended the season with 4 goals (I know 2 more than Henderson, but still), who is 24 so is unlikely to improve drastically, who has never really made it in the England U-21 squad...

You have to ask yourself, is that any more impressive than what Jonjo Shelvey offers? To me the answer would be no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Seems a bit more realistic alright. Unfortunately. :(

I dont think it seems realistic at all. We're not in a position to sign top name players granted but the likes of Davies are well below our standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

opr wrote: »
    Lots of talk on the Spurs side that a deal for Siggurdsson will be announced Monday. They have to wait until the loan deal expires with Swansea before they can make it public. I know you could say the same thing for why we've not announced anything but when you consider the back tracking Jenkins did with some other decent sources saying he had a medical and his representatives were in the country during the week but not to see Liverpool, I think Spurs looks the more likely destination at this stage.

Opr

Yeah it seems to be wrapped up at this stage. Very disappointed to miss out on Sigurdsonn. He's a very exciting player and I thought for once we were going to do an excellent piece of business

Morzadec wrote: »
    Yeah it seems to be wrapped up at this stage. Very disappointed to miss out on Sigurdsonn. He's a very exciting player and I thought for once we were going to do an excellent piece of business

I don't believe the Davies link but if they sign him and we sign Davies this place will go into meltdown :pac:

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I'd rather we just sign no one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Its complete bollox imo there's no substance at all to the story and the signing would make no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

608393530.jpg?key=532349&Expires=1341064863&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=eS~acmmLs~5AoMq1L0s72SqrNa3N2fR19pTBNkehi83wVlXU4ua3qpxf~yL-J0lELgAo3oT92XbBbzUXNdvvmfNA7N4bPTLFKrd0WAmkHqGlISTAytRVZVph7k~V~VIwbIpRQVIQnuJbW8IDeIfy5Wz5~YFHvnANL1AubcOFcGs_

Andy would want to give Jay a few lessons.

jay2.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I don't believe the Davies link but if they sign him and we sign Davies this place will go into meltdown :pac:

Opr

And IMO rightly so .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Four goals last season.....nice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Four goals last season.....nice.

Four league goals in a season. With that kind of form it could cost us £35m to get Davies. :pac:

Davies had a pass completion rate of 87.2% last season. We all know Rodgers likes lads that can keep the ball in the centre.

Would be surprised if we were after him though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

Considering how Coyle's Bolton played that's pretty impressive actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Grêmio's new signing Fábio Aurélio has effectively been ruled out for the season after suffering a knee ligament rupture. Terrible fortune. -- TouchlineDrama (@TouchlineDrama)

Poor man has no luck. Shame as he is talented.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Davies is a nice little player and imo would have gone onto better things by now if he didnt have some injury troubles.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Davies is a nice little player and imo would have gone onto better things by now if he didnt have some injury troubles.

Id also rate him higher than Adam.

Although that's not much of a compliment.

G.K. wrote: »
    Considering how Coyle's Bolton played that's pretty impressive actually.

Not really. I find that a lot of the stats can paint a very flattering picture of a player without ever coming close to quantifying the actual impact the player has on the pitch. Although for certain positions, stats can show how effective a player is in his role than they can for other positions.

If people looks at Adam's stats for the 2010/11 season for things like passing , passes completed, shots on goal per game, shot conversion rate, assists etc, then Adam's stats for a team that also got relegated are more impressive.

As for Davies, he is an alright player imho, but I would not rate him very highly in terms of being an attacking midfielder as his goal rate, assist rate, and secondary assist rate are all pretty poor for an attacking midfielder.

In terms of being a goal or assist threat, Sigurdsson has actually, in his half season loan at Swansea, matched Davies' entire career output over 6 + years.

I don't think that Davies has a fraction of the awareness that Sigurdsson shows on the pitch, and is inferior in terms of linking play.

Davies would be a grand buy if we hope to stay in midtable, but if we have greater ambition than that, then I would not be overly keen on getting him.

djPSB wrote: »
    Id also rate him higher than Adam.

Although that's not much of a compliment.

Not really the same type of player imo. Adam plays deeper, sprays the ball a bit, takes dead balls whereas Davies is more forward thinking, probing, good on the ball in tight situations and has a bit of pace, clever. I can see why he would be attractive to Rodgers for the right price.

I would be extremely disappointed if the club had its sights set on players of Davies calibre.

We should be looking to move on the Charlie Adams of this world and replacing players like Masch, Alonso, etc over the long term with similar quality .

If we keep looking at the relagation bargain basement then we all better get used to scrappy midtable league campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

That signing would be extraordinarily uninspiring

• Advertisement

Mr Alan wrote: »
    That signing would be extraordinarily uninspiring

I agree with you but it's the Mirror are reporting the story, so I'd take it with a pinch of salt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I dont think it seems realistic at all. We're not in a position to sign top name players granted but the likes of Davies are well below our standard.

Fair enough,I probably should have used the word "likely" and not "realistic".

However...Davies is a decent player and I`m not even sure what "our standard" is anymore.

We have finished 8th,6th and 7th in the past 3 seasons.

We are now (an upper) mid-table team,heartbreaking as that is.

What is "our standard"?

Sorry for the glumness...havin a **** day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Fair enough,I probably should have used the word "likely" and not "realistic".

However...Davies is a decent player and I`m not even sure what "our standard" is anymore.

We have finished 8th,6th and 7th in the past 3 seasons.

We are now (an upper) mid-table team,heartbreaking as that is.

What is "our standard"?

Sorry for the glumness...havin a **** day.
    Midtable team but a very big club. Possibly one of the reasons why you bought British last season as it is the best chance to improve the team and attract good players.

I don't think anyone envisioned the players signed as being as big a let down.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Not really. I find that a lot of the stats can paint a very flattering picture of a player without ever coming close to quantifying the actual impact the player has on the pitch.

In my view, stats taken on their own without proper contextual analysis are misleading and rather pointless.

My point is merely considering that Bolton are a direct team under Coyle, I'm surprised he's hit such a high pass completion. You'll find me a page or so back saying Davies isn't good enough for Pool.
    If people looks at Adam's stats for the 2010/11 season for things like passing , passes completed, shots on goal per game, shot conversion rate, assists etc, then Adam's stats for a team that also got relegated are more impressive.

Which is why one has to look at the context. Of course in that case Adam was the focal point of the team, everything went through him. That explains the large number of passes, assists and shots.

As for his pass completion at Blackpool, it was not that good - 72% overall, 58% in the opposition half and 56% in the final third, as well as 23% crossing accuracy. His shooting accuracy was nothing above average at all.

It strikes me that Adam was signed purely on his '38 mins per chance created' stat, which includes set pieces (Although that stat as a rule of thumb shouldn't imho), and it wasn't taken into context, the context of course being that everything went through Adam, so no wonder he had such a statistic.
    As for Davies, he is an alright player imho, but I would not rate him very highly in terms of being an attacking midfielder as his goal rate, assist rate, and secondary assist rate are all pretty poor for an attacking midfielder.

If he were to be signed I'd expect him to play the 'Allen' role, so these figures are less important, as he'd be sitting deep. His pass completion would become the key stat, and that's remarkably high given the context - the fact that Bolton played a direct game as opposed to a ball retention-based one.
    In terms of being a goal or assist threat, Sigurdsson has actually, in his half season loan at Swansea, matched Davies' entire career output over 6 + years.

I don't think that Davies has a fraction of the awareness that Sigurdsson shows on the pitch, and is inferior in terms of linking play.

Davies would be a grand buy if we hope to stay in midtable, but if we have greater ambition than that, then I would not be overly keen on getting him.

Agreed with all of this. Davies is unsuited to being an attacking midfield player, but with his pass completion (and defensive stats only slightly worse than Joe Allen) would be useful for a midtable club as a CM.

After a proper looking at the stats, Davies seems more suited to Rodgers' Pool than Adam, (who is essentially a left-footed Gerrard with far inferior ability imo) but I'd question whether he's good enough fundamentally. I know some quality players are/have been late bloomers but I'd be surprised if Davies was one.

Adam was actually ok when Lucas was fit.

Needs someone to do his dirty work.

Im sceptical about how much people have watched Davies, like really had a look at him. Our standard?, he made us look like pub players on an individual basis a few times when we played them last year.

He isnt a blockbuster signing by any stretch and i wouldnt go further than 5m for him but he is a tidy player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

rarnes1 wrote: »

The one with the black hair facing the camera is topless.:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I can understand signing sigurdsson because we felt he was a quality player who could be got cheaply but since we missed the boat there I dont see the point in signing an AM of davies quality when we are currently well stocked in that area.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Please take this in the spirit it is meant! Saw it on a guys facebook and thought of ye :)

Im sceptical about how much people have watched Davies, like really had a look at him. Our standard?, he made us look like pub players on an individual basis a few times when we played them last year.

He isnt a blockbuster signing by any stretch and i wouldnt go further than 5m for him but he is a tidy player.

Sounds exactly like what was being said about Adam last summer.

As for making us look like pub players last season. Lesser players than Davies made us look poor last season, which is a reflection on how poor our tactics were at times and how overhyped many of our own players were.

Personally I would prefer to aim for a standard a bit higher than Davies this summer, and let our squad player level players like Henderson and Adam actually be squad players rather than first team starters.

If we did not already have a number of players that should be squad filler as it is, then someone like Davies might make sense as cheap cover, but we have plenty of filler for the centre as it is, imho of course.

Quality is what is needed at this point for the CM and AM/CAM role because we only have one quality CM at the club right now and a whole pile of filler left over when he is not available.

Yea he is neat and tidy player but will he help get us back where we want to be and amongst the top 4 ? I doubt it big time .

We really need to be setting our sights higher and buying proven quality now .

kryogen wrote: »
    Please take this in the spirit it is meant! Saw it on a guys facebook and thought of ye :)

That should be worth ban # 6 ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Henderson will flourish in the "Allen role" next season. I'm completely convinced of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Leiva wrote: »
    Yea he is neat and tidy player but will he help get us back where we want to be and amongst the top 4 ? I doubt it big time .

Isn`t that what we were supposed to have done last summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Davies would be a retarded signing. We need a DM. 100% if we are buying a CM they need to be an upgrade on Henderson, Shelvey and Adam. Davies simply isn't

Sounds exactly like what was being said about Adam last summer.

As for making us look like pub players last season. Lesser players than Davies made us look poor last season, which is a reflection on how poor our tactics were at times and how overhyped many of our own players were.

Personally I would prefer to aim for a standard a bit higher than Davies this summer, and let our squad player level players like Henderson and Adam actually be squad players rather than first team starters.

If we did not already have a number of players that should be squad filler as it is, then someone like Davies might make sense as cheap cover, but we have plenty of filler for the centre as it is, imho of course.

Quality is what is needed at this point for the CM and AM/CAM role because we only have one quality CM at the club right now and a whole pile of filler left over when he is not available.

I dont think its fair to pick out only Adam, i think you can say it about every window where a player is linked that people havent really seen a whole lot of.

People keep bangin on about us getting raped in the xfer market, id like those people to at least flourish me with bargain buys they think might happen rather than dismiss attempts to get those bargains. All im saying is, for < 5m he would be a decent buy.

Isn`t that what we were supposed to have done last summer?

Nope .

Nearly all recent purchases bar Suarez & Enrique have been IMO expensive potential signings, and all bought and overpayed for under a flawed philosophy of young-English -premiership proven crap !

We should go to market now a pay for proven quality (ala Suarez) and stop looking at risky shít .

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »

I dont want us to sign Davies and start him every week, thats not the case.

However, he is a million miles ahead of Spearing and the same age. He works harder than Shelvey and in the immediate term he would be an option.

And as for the, 'we dont need an ACM' we need a DM somebody said. If its the case we have to chose, then it doesnt matter, we'd be fked anyway if things are that tight.

I dont think its fair to pick out only Adam, i think you can say it about every window where a player is linked that people havent really seen a whole lot of.

People keep bangin on about us getting raped in the xfer market, id like those people to at least flourish me with bargain buys they think might happen rather than dismiss attempts to get those bargains. All im saying is, for < 5m he would be a decent buy.

I picked Adam because he would be a similarly priced player who plays in a similar part of the pitch and he came from a relegated team. He also had similar stuff said about him last summer to what you are now saying about Davies.

I don't disagree that under the right circumstances that Davies would be cheap and decent cover, but my point is that we already have a number of players who are cover level players for where Davies can play on the pitch.

We could go and buy Davies for £5m. But then we would have Davies, Adam, Shelvey, and Henderson who would be squad player level players. Now they don't all play in the exact same manner but they all play best with someone else doing the donkey work beside them.

Also if Davies came in, who goes further down the pecking order or do the three players I named all drop a bit further down?

I get the point you are making, but I think we need to be bringing in a player or two of higher quality in midfield this summer and making the three I named our cover, rather than bringing in another cover player on top of what we have. Now if we were to sell one or two of those I named, then there would be a spot for a Davies type player, but if we are keeping all three (and Gerrard of course) then I don't see room for Davies.

I really don't see the point of me listing of string of "bargain buys" either, despite you asking folk to do so, as I firmly believe getting more cover level players is a waste of time for our midfield. But we could double the £5m price of Davies and look to bring in a player like my old pal Moussa Sissoko who can defend, attack, pass well, keep possession, and who brings pace, strength and aggression with him but is younger than Davies.

We could go to the £12m to £15m mark and see if it would bring in Ever Banega to play alongside Lucas. That would bring in a guy capable of the playmaker role but also capable of good passing stats and of tracking back.

And if we wanted to go down the route of have a good passer but who is high quality DM, then we could try for Gary Medel for in and around the £10m to £12m mark.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Agree with all Kess said in the above post. Surely with Kuyt gone and Maxi rumored to go we are very short on attacking options. With two strikers in the squad and Bellamy not able to play every week this has to be the main area to be looked at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

I wonder is there any legs to this.....hearing loads but don't really believe it!

Uruguay international Gaston Ramirez has reportedly secured a £20 million move to Liverpool, according to a story in the Daily Express.

The deal has reportedly been agreed for the 21-year-old attacking midfielder and sometimes winger who would link up with his fellow countryman Luis Suarez and youngster Sebastian Coates at Anfield.

Ramirez has enjoyed two impressive spells at Bologna in Serie A and was linked with a move to Merseyside even before Brendan Rodgers took the reigns as manager.

Rodgers’ task is to improve on Liverpool’s worst top tier finish in 60 years last season and guide the club back into the Champions League and he will be given money to spend, although likely not the £120 million the American owners handed to Kenny Dalglish who over-spent on flops Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing and overpaid for Andy Carroll.

Ramirez has scored 12 goals in 58 appearances for Bologna and has played 9 times for Uruguay.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Linked with Mark Davies heh?

Mewhenreadingstupidstuff.gif

Swell.

mav79 wrote: »
    Agree with all Kess said in the above post. Surely with Kuyt gone and Maxi rumored to go we are very short on attacking options. With two strikers in the squad and Bellamy not able to play every week this has to be the main area to be looked at?

Strikers are the main priority. Last season proved that ! Bellamy is 33 in a few weeks, so I wouldn't be relying on him.

I'd like to see us sign at least one striker and possibly two. Plus isn't Suarez and Bellamy off to the Olympics which leaves us down to bare bones.

I'd like to see signings come in soon so they can get a pre season in with us and get settled. Get the finger out Rodgers.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

-Ade- wrote: »
    Linked with Mark Davies heh?

Mewhenreadingstupidstuff.gif

Swell.

Easily my favorite gif ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,722 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

kryogen wrote: »
    Easily my favorite gif ever

Surely the riggers gifs are the finest around since they usually mean that Luis or Andy have done the business?

Supposedly an interview on Icelandic radio with Gylfi dad tonight, so looks like it's still all up in the air.
    Gylfi wants to play at the highest level possible - every player wants to do that - but the opportunity has to be right. He hasn’t made up his mind yet. There are plenty of clubs interested in him. There are some in Germany, but Gylfi wants to play in England.

The main aim for Gylfi is to be in as good a team as he can be and play for the best club possible. He is no different to anyone else. Liverpool and Tottenham are both in Europe next season so that is not the question. I have seen the stories that he is demanding a certain amount of money per week and they are rubbish.

He just wants a normal salary and be on the same as other players at the club. The bottom line is he just wants to play and the main thing football-wise is to find the right team which will suit him the most. It always helps when you know the coach like Brendan Rodgers. He is a very good trainer. But does that mean Liverpool? Maybe, maybe not. He is thinking what is best to do and will have a decision by Sunday.

Opr

I picked Adam because he would be a similarly priced player who plays in a similar part of the pitch and he came from a relegated team. He also had similar stuff said about him last summer to what you are now saying about Davies.

I don't disagree that under the right circumstances that Davies would be cheap and decent cover, but my point is that we already have a number of players who are cover level players for where Davies can play on the pitch.

We could go and buy Davies for £5m. But then we would have Davies, Adam, Shelvey, and Henderson who would be squad player level players. Now they don't all play in the exact same manner but they all play best with someone else doing the donkey work beside them.

Also if Davies came in, who goes further down the pecking order or do the three players I named all drop a bit further down?

I get the point you are making, but I think we need to be bringing in a player or two of higher quality in midfield this summer and making the three I named our cover, rather than bringing in another cover player on top of what we have. Now if we were to sell one or two of those I named, then there would be a spot for a Davies type player, but if we are keeping all three (and Gerrard of course) then I don't see room for Davies.

I really don't see the point of me listing of string of "bargain buys" either, despite you asking folk to do so, as I firmly believe getting more cover level players is a waste of time for our midfield. But we could double the £5m price of Davies and look to bring in a player like my old pal Moussa Sissoko who can defend, attack, pass well, keep possession, and who brings pace, strength and aggression with him but is younger than Davies.

We could go to the £12m to £15m mark and see if it would bring in Ever Banega to play alongside Lucas. That would bring in a guy capable of the playmaker role but also capable of good passing stats and of tracking back.

And if we wanted to go down the route of have a good passer but who is high quality DM, then we could try for Gary Medel for in and around the £10m to £12m mark.

I want good players to come in as much as anyone does but what if none of the players you want, want to join the club unless you pay though the nose in wages?.

Davies would only take a slot from Shelvey really in the squad, Davies is nothing like Adam or Henderson in how he plays. I agree about getting someone like Sissoko but that would be to push Spearing to the margins and who is out of his depth at the club.

Newcastle made an offer for Davies at the end of the season which was turned down, i think they have showed an eye for a player lately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Supposedly an interview on Icelandic radio with Gylfi dad tonight, so looks like it's still all up in the air.

Opr

Is he on Twitter? There is an account there, it's not confirmed but it's existence pre-dates this stuff & it tweeted this the other day....
    @OfficialGylfi: I have made my decision as to where I will be playing next season and will inform you all when everything is complete

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement