Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Walcott is supposed to want 100k a week in wages.
    If true I think that rules out Liverpool IMO.
    He will either stay at Arsenal with a compromise on wages found or move to Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

amiable wrote: »
    He will either stay at Arsenal with a compromise on wages found or move to Chelsea.

Why would chelsea want him? They've got Marin, Hazard and Mata.

Nobody is going to give him those sorts of wages. He's only chancing his arm.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shelvey is back(?) on Twitter - https://twitter.com/shelveyJ

Confirmed by the club.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Shelvey is back(?) on Twitter - https://twitter.com/shelveyJ

Confirmed by the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

He's not worth that, and he and his agent must know that. That's reserved for the likes of RVP, Stevie, Luis, Rooney, Vidic and multiples from Chelsea and City. His agent can hawk him around all he likes, and although I think he'd bring us some extra goals and creativity in the final third, I don't know if he fits the model. Not for anything above about £10M.

Gbear wrote: »
    Why would chelsea want him? They've got Marin, Hazard and Mata.

Nobody is going to give him those sorts of wages. He's only chancing his arm.

Chelsea are still after players for the forward positions.
    Also rumours Sturridge may be leaving.
    Mata and Hazard are different type of players to Walcott

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

That's stupid money. He's not worth anything near that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

Dickerty wrote: »
    He's not worth that, and he and his agent must know that. That's reserved for the likes of RVP, Stevie, Luis, Rooney, Vidic and multiples from Chelsea and City. His agent can hawk him around all he likes, and although I think he'd bring us some extra goals and creativity in the final third, I don't know if he fits the model. Not for anything above about £10M.

Well considering the departure of Kuyt, do you not feel with the wages he was on putting a couple more grand to the deal will benefit us?

As for RVP, Stevie, Luis and Rooney, lets face it they get more than 100K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Walcott's all round game was much better last season. I thought he was among the most improved players in the league. Hard to believe he only just turned 23 a few months back. Still I'd have mixed feelings and for the kind of wages being talked about in the press surely there are better options.

Opr

Well considering the departure of Kuyt, do you not feel with the wages he was on putting a couple more grand to the deal will benefit us?

Of course they are - I mean that is a benchmark that few players deserve to be above.

I think for £10M+ and 100K a week, we could find a player of similar age and experience that would fit better. Put the extra in and chase someone like Dzagoev, or Kuba, or Witsel...not that they deserve 100K either! But we have to aim where we can hit...

• Advertisement

Jenkins saying on twitter that we're currently trying to do a deal for Joe Allen.

Opr

Chelsea are still after players for the forward positions.
    Also rumours Sturridge may be leaving.
    Mata and Hazard are different type of players to Walcott

He'd still wind up being a squad player.
    Of course they are - I mean that is a benchmark that few players deserve to be above.

I think for £10M+ and 100K a week, we could find a player of similar age and experience that would fit better. Put the extra in and chase someone like Dzagoev, or Kuba, or Witsel...

Or, more likely, instead of 100k a week we could find plenty of players happy with 50-80k and spend 14m-18m on the transfer fee.

I think for £10M+ and 100K a week, we could find a player of similar age and experience that would fit better. Put the extra in and chase someone like Dzagoev, or Kuba, or Witsel...not that they deserve 100K either! But we have to aim where we can hit...

£10m for a proven English player in the priemership, with many glimpses of outstanding talent, is cheap, lets face it. And unfortunatley in todays world £100k is not a shed load of money (look what hendo is on).

£10m for a proven English player in the priemership, with many glimpses of outstanding talent, is cheap, lets face it. And unfortunatley in todays world £100k is not a shed load of money (look what hendo is on).

Let's forget that he's English, we've been there...

Yes, I think that fee would be about fair for him, but not at those wages.

I think you're probably overestimating what the average wage is for both us and premiership teams in general. Probably only Stevie, Suarez and Carra get it with us. Maybe Pepe.
    I'd say excluding us and the top 5 teams, no players are paid that amount in the league.
    100k a week is 5m quid a year.

I don't know if there's any definitive figures but I saw in my google search that Hendo gets 65k a week. That's too much for him and even if it wasn't, I don't see how Walcott could justify getting 50% more.

opr wrote: »
    Jenkins saying on twitter that we're currently trying to do a deal for Joe Allen.

Opr

He's just signed a new contract though and there is a "gentleman's agreement" that Rodgers wouldn't buy anyone from Swansea for a year :confused:

He's just signed a new contract though and there is a "gentleman's agreement" that Rodgers wouldn't buy anyone from Swansea for a year :confused:

Unless Swansea are willing to let it happen, maybe he has expressed a desire to move on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If we're going to be spending that kind of money and paying out those kind of wages, there are better options. This English player-tax is something we really should be avoiding by now.

Unless Swansea are willing to let it happen, maybe he has expressed a desire to move on?

Or we are giving them Charlie Adam in exchange :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

opr wrote: »

Opr

Ssn said that we can't go in for any of their players unless other clubs are bidding for them then we can play ball. Odd agreement, don't know what to believe.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I think you're probably overestimating what the average wage is for both us and premiership teams in general. Probably only Stevie, Suarez and Carra get it with us. Maybe Pepe.
    I'd say excluding us and the top 5 teams, no players are paid that amount in the league.

I don't know if there's any definitive figures but I saw in my google search that Hendo gets 65k a week. That's too much for him and even if it wasn't, I don't see how Walcott could justify getting 50% more.

Suarez gets less than that I think, around 80k, but if he doesn sign a new deal as has been mooted, that will change that. Johnson is on over 100k pw as well I believe.

Yeah it seems a strange one.

Poster on a Swansea forum just posted this which makes it seem all the more unlikely.
    Straight from the horses mouth and 2 people close to him, he's not going to liverpool even though Rodgers told Joe he'd take him. There's been no contact and even if there was, he wants to stay. His Mrs is weeks away from giving birth and are settled into their new home together.

He is a massive Utd fan and would only move to Liverpool if it was right for us as a club and him and his long term development with financial gain at the back of his mind.

That is about as final as anything in football. Unless Utd come in with a great offer, he's going nowhere this season.

http://forum.planetswans.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=124789&sid=4148ecd5ec5673cf2cff7a0f0eab7c36&start=48#p1508500

Opr

5starpool wrote: »
    Suarez gets less than that I think, around 80k, but if he doesn sign a new deal as has been mooted, that will change that. Johnson is on over 100k pw as well I believe.

How the hell did we manage to get Suarez at all...

It's brilliant. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

fúcking Utd fan.

didn't want him anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Raheem Sterling interview from a few days ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we offer Walcott 100k a week it makes Rodger's supposed stand on the Siggurdson deal look like a bit of a joke I'm afraid.

I'd be happy to see Walcott sign at the right price and no more than say, 60k a week. But I don't think thats possible judging by the noises coming from his camp. Move on I would think.

I don't think RVP and Luis Suarez are on more than 100k per week.

I don't think he's worth 100k a week either, just playing Devils advocate here. More importantly I doubt BR will think he's worth more than a 100k.

If Arsenal won't give him that, maybe he might feel pissed with them and want a transfer, then with him being a massive Liverpool fan, he would come to us on pretty much what he is already on, which is what... 60k?

If we could get him for 75K..wouldnt be all that bad would it?

He'd still wind up being a squad player.

Or, more likely, instead of 100k a week we could find plenty of players happy with 50-80k and spend 14m-18m on the transfer fee.

If he thinks he's worth 100k per week it's up to him to force his way in to that team.
    It would seem that Marin will be a squad player there.
    I stand by my earlier post that IMO he's more likely to stay at Arsenal or go to Chelsea than join Liverpool this summer.

Knex. wrote: »
    If we offer Walcott 100k a week it makes Rodger's supposed stand on the Siggurdson deal look like a bit of a joke I'm afraid.

I'd be happy to see Walcott sign at the right price and no more than say, 60k a week. But I don't think thats possible judging by the noises coming from his camp. Move on I would think.

To be fair I don't think anyone has said will be offered 100k per week.
    I think the point is that if they are his demands then a move to Liverpool is very unlikely. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

I don't think he's worth 100k a week either, just playing Devils advocate here. More importantly I doubt BR will think he's worth more than a 100k.

If Arsenal won't give him that, maybe he might feel pissed with them and want a transfer, then with him being a massive Liverpool fan, he would come to us on pretty much what he is already on, which is what... 60k?

If we could get him for 75K..wouldnt be all that bad would it?
    I'd take that.

He's young enough to develop his crossing, finishing and alot of other features of his game. I've been incredibly critical of him in the past but when you consider how young he still is then it somewhat puts it in perspective.

For now he offers width, pace and an attacking threat - I'd like to see him in the team....give them Joe Cole in part exchange :pac:

I might be wrong but I think it's even less than 80k
    I'm open to correction on this :)

The usually reliable Ben Smith says there is interest from Liverpool in Walcott

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,462 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

''Magpies would have essentially loaned Carroll to Liverpool for 18 months to finance the rebuilding of their squad before taking him back at a cut-price fee.''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

SSN just said Clint Dempsey has turned down 3 year deal at Fulham & wants to join Liverpool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

few training pics before they set off to america

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/photos-reds-train-at-melwood

Love how joe is getting stuck in in the 3rd one :rolleyes: also marty is rocking a serious crew cut, nice! Odd to see aquaman back in club gear and on that note the training gear :eek:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Toni Silva - discuss

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

MD1990 wrote: »
    SSN just said Clint Dempsey has turned down 3 year deal at Fulham & wants to join Liverpool

great news if true.

Dempsey
    Borini
    Suarez.

that's not too shabby.

i'd like a proper winger though in a wide-forward position on one side at least, and have Dempsey as a player who can cover any hole in the team that needs filling. be it on the wing, or the point of 3 in the midfield 3.

few training pics before they set off to america

I am SO jealous. Imagine that was your job?!?!?
    That would be AWESOME, even in the rain...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Is this the first time Liverpool have had a different manager for the start of 4 successive seasons? Sobering thought. Hopefully that trend will stop now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Random question - why do players wear those short socks and no shin gaurds in training?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is this the first time Liverpool have had a different manager for the start of 4 successive seasons? Sobering thought. Hopefully that trend will stop now.

Heres hoping, but im quietly confident Rodgers knows his stuff

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,065 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Can't believe people are open to Walcott . He would only be worth it he was super cheap - which wont happen.

He's no more than an impact sub - £10m max.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Vicxas wrote: »
    Heres hoping, but im quietly confident Rodgers knows his stuff

Positivity can quickly disappear if results don't go well but if he continues to sign 2/3 more and not over pay for them, clear out a few and play good football then he should at least be given more time than previous managers to get things right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,163 ✭✭✭✭danniemcq

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Random question - why do players wear those short socks and no shin gaurds in training?

It was for Aurelio.

They all wore them when he was there out of solidarity. In some training sessions they were seen with bubblewrap helmets too

Now he's gone they aren't needed as much

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Comfort

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Toni Silva I said! !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

Tusky wrote: »
    Can't believe people are open to Walcott . He would only be worth it he was super cheap - which wont happen.

He's no more than an impact sub - £10m max.

I think you're underrating him there, god knows he's frustrated me more often as an Arsenal fan but he is useful. His stats as I pointed out in the Arsenal thread are comparable/better than Skys wunderkid Gareth Bale.

Having said that, I'd be surprised if he signed for you for a number of reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'd like a proper winger though in a wide-forward position on one side at least, and have Dempsey as a player who can cover any hole in the team that needs filling. be it on the wing, or the point of 3 in the midfield 3.

Probably explains the interest in Walcott but I wouldn't want to be splashing maybe half our budget on him, we've been down the expensive winger road before!

Starting to think maybe selling Carroll makes sense if we could get £15 Million upwards towards transfers.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭cson

I don't think RVP and Luis Suarez are on more than 100k per week.

RVPs current contract with us is £90k/wk.

Walcott is reputedly on £60k looking for £100k with us willing to go to £80k.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement