Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Melion wrote: »
    Toni Silva I said! !

dont think he will be good enough for liverpool tbh prob on par with tom ince imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

K-9 wrote: »
    Starting to think maybe selling Carroll makes sense if we could get £15 Million upwards towards transfers.

i think that's the big reason why Rodgers is considering selling and isn't entertaining a loan move.

he wants the money, and i reckon sees Carroll as an asset he can get a decent wedge for, probably one of the only ones he can sell for a high price, and would be able to improve upon for a similar/lower price.

having said that, i would still be sad to see Andy go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Prob the only other players that he could get £15M for is Luis and Lucas. So you can see why (assuming he needs to raise funds to make the buys he wants) it may be of interest...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Dickerty wrote: »
    Prob the only other players that he could get £15M for is Luis and Lucas. So you can see why (assuming he needs to raise funds to make the buys he wants) it may be of interest...

I have no real idea why, but everytime I read your name the chorus of this song pops into my head. I don't even like the song that much. :mad:

:p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

SlickRic wrote: »
    i think that's the big reason why Rodgers is considering selling and isn't entertaining a loan move.

he wants the money, and i reckon sees Carroll as an asset he can get a decent wedge for, probably one of the only ones he can sell for a high price, and would be able to improve upon for a similar/lower price.

having said that, i would still be sad to see Andy go.

I'd prefer keeping him for one more season but thinking more about it, it really is just based on 2 months of decent form and I think Dempsey could suit him. Thinking logically it probably is better we get on with rebuilding, he was part of a different style of football and the suspicion is he just wont fit it.

Don't know if we'd get that for Lucas given he is so under rated, but he is worth that type of money to us minimum. Some difference from 3 or 4 years ago which tells a lot.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Could be some truth in that alright. I suppose it just seems to most people that we'd be cutting our losses very early on him. Utd. have never been afraid of spending up to £30m on players and if they stay for 5 years plus the fees are forgotten about.

I think this story will drag on til the end of August now. Unless we manage to swap Carroll for someone very good then I hope he stays. If Bellamy leaves to add to Kuyt then we are pretty short on strikers so I think he'll still get alot of game time.

Knex. wrote: »
    I have no real idea why, but everytime I read your name the chorus of this song pops into my head. I don't even like the song that much. :mad:

But you like the way I work it??? :eek::D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

But you like the way I work it??? :eek::D

No doubt!

K-9 wrote: »
    Don't know if we'd get that for Lucas given he is so under rated, but he is worth that type of money to us minimum. Some difference from 3 or 4 years ago which tells a lot.

We certainly wouldn't willingly sell, but if he was available, I think a lot of managers would be interested. He'd be ideal at somewhere like Real or PSG that wants to have an attacking front 5 and needs someone disciplined to tidy up at the back, the way Masc does...

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Simple solution, Milan give us Ibrahimovic, we give them Carroll. All we have to do then is persusde Ibra to take a 60% paycut or so, and we're grand. Easy peasy.

;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I recon agger,skrtel,reina would go for that and more too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

i wonder how many players we will sign

rodgers said 3 or 4 tweaks last week but maybe if we sell more we will buy more

maxi, kuyt, bellamy, carroll all are gone or look likely to go

there are question marks over adam and downing and spearing

and as usual you never know what will happen with aquilani and cole

doni is not in the US tour squad

personally i wouldn't mind to get rid of all of those mentioned above but that would be an impossible task

but if we get rid of 6 or 7 then i expect 5 or 6 in

i'd guess we'll probably get in one or two less than we ship out so i hope ship out a lot more

borini in so far

strong contenders to come in are joe allen, walcott, dempsey and lewis holtby

possibles are tello, callejon, granero, draxler, kuba and others i have forgotten

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

5starpool wrote: »
    Simple solution, Milan give us Ibrahimovic, we give them Carroll. All we have to do then is persusde Ibra to take a 60% paycut or so, and we're grand. Easy peasy.

;)

Hmm every time he has moved club, the club he has just moved to wins the league in his first season with them.

He went from Malmo to Ajax. Ajax won the title.

He went from Ajax to Juve. Juve win the title that season.

He went from Juve to Inter. Inter won the title.

He moves from Inter to Barca. Barca win the title.

He was sent on loan with option to buy deal from Barca to Milan. Milan win the title in his first season playing for them.

I recon agger,skrtel,reina would go for that and more too.

Very rare for defenders and goalies. Ferdinand, Buffon, Alves, Thuram, Nesta, Carvahlo...I don't think they are in that bucket.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

donfers wrote: »
    i wonder how many players we will sign

rodgers said 3 or 4 tweaks last week but maybe if we sell more we will buy more

maxi, kuyt, bellamy, carroll all are gone or look likely to go

there are question marks over adam and downing and spearing

and as usual you never know what will happen with aquilani and cole

doni is not in the US tour squad

personally i wouldn't mind to get rid of all of those mentioned above but that would be an impossible task

but if we get rid of 6 or 7 then i expect 5 or 6 in

i'd guess we'll probably get in one or two less than we ship out so i hope ship out a lot more

borini in so far

strong contenders to come in are joe allen, walcott, dempsey and lewis holtby

possibles are tello, callejon, granero, draxler, kuba and others i have forgotten

there was rumours of a double bid for Strootman and Mertens for £27M which would be fantastic business.

If Borini, Strootman, Mertens, Dempsey, Walcott, Allen in to replace Carroll, Maxi, Kuyt, Bellamy, Aqualini, Doni, Jones and Cole then I think that would be Carlsberg levels of transfer activity by B-Rod.

On top of that he'd still need to replace Carragher, Adam, Downing as well as finding a backup to Enrique and Reina.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Andy Carroll wants to return to Newcastle United

ANDY CARROLL wants to make a sensational return to Newcastle United – but only after giving new Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers a piece of his mind.

Carroll has told his representatives a simple message: “Take me home.”

The Chronicle understands that Carroll has been told he is not part of Rodgers’ plans at Anfield even though United’s first bid has been rejected.

However, the Magpies will return with another.

Play Slideshow« Previous PhotoNext Photo »

10/03/07. FA Youth Cup Semi Final first leg at St James' Park. Newcastle U18 2 Liverpool U18 4.
    Show Caption
    Play Slideshow« Previous PhotoNext Photo »

The issue that has really disappointed Carroll is that he wasn’t even given pre-season to prove himself to a new manager.

And although Carroll is a self-confessed Toon supporter and former season ticket holder, from a professional point of view being told he can go without being judged fairly has left the player somewhat annoyed.

As Carroll told the Chronicle in January 2011, he never wanted to leave Newcastle to start with.

Now he has told his representatives that Newcastle are at the top of his wish-list and the sooner a move back to Tyneside can be quickened up the better.

Whether United’s interest in Carroll signals the end of the road for Demba Ba remains to be seen.

A close pal of Carroll told the Chronicle last night: “Newcastle are interested – and Andy wants to come home. He’s already told Liverpool that too.

“From a professional point of view Andy is miffed that he wasn’t given the chance to show what he can do in front of new manager Brendan Rodgers.

“He was expecting to get at least pre-season to show what he could offer him.

“He ended last season on a high and wanted to continue that.”

Carroll, at 23, still fits into Newcastle’s blueprint and has never made any secret of his love for the Magpies.

It was only last week that United boss Alan Pardew refused to kill off the rumour at his pre-season Press conference when he said: “We’ll see where Carroll treads the boards next season.

“He did very well for us and he’s had a rough ride from the media at Liverpool.”

A source from the Carroll camp continued: “Andy is still a fan. He never had any intention of quitting Newcastle to start with.”

But there are still a few hurdles yet if the deal is to become a reality.

The loan offer is with a view to a permanent transfer.

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2012/07/16/andy-carroll-wants-to-return-to-newcastle-united-72703-31401563/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

-Ade- wrote: »
    The issue that has really disappointed Carroll is that he wasn’t even given pre-season to prove himself to a new manager.
    If this is true, it looks like my thoughts on the whole matter were 100% correct.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

-Ade- wrote: »

turning_wheels.jpg

In terms of impressing the manager, I'm sure Brendan Rodgers has been plenty of Andy Carroll's games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

So the article says he never wanted to leave Newcastle in the first place but also says that he's miffed he didnt get to prove himself to the new manager?

Surely if he wanted to "come home" he wouldnt give too hoots about impressing the new manager?!?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I'd be very surprised if Spearing leaves this summer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

If this is true, it looks like my thoughts on the whole matter were 100% correct.
    Careful not to pat your back too hard now, you'll do yourself an injury

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Obviously work will continue in respect of transfers while the team are away but I presume it is unlikely that anything concrete will surface while they are away.

I presume Demba Ba is off if the Newcastle news is accurate, I have to say I will be gutted to see Carroll go so soon if these stories continue to gain momentum and become a reality.

If it wasn't for Liverpool every summer the papers would have very few stories to kick about for 2 months!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

So the article says he never wanted to leave Newcastle in the first place but also says that he's miffed he didnt get to prove himself to the new manager?

Surely if he wanted to "come home" he wouldnt give too hoots about impressing the new manager?!?!

Read it again, he said from a professional point of view he would still like to have gotten the chance to prove he could be a hit with the new manager. I think he should have to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Hoki wrote: »
    Read it again, he said from a professional point of view he would still like to have gotten the chance to prove he could be a hit with the new manager. I think he should have to.

If that is the case, then every single player at the club deserves the chance to prove he could be a hit. The simple version may simply be that the manager has a fairly good idea of how he wants players to play in his team, and he probably has a fairly good idea as to what players have or have not performed well for Liverpool over the past 12 months or so.

At least if Carroll is sold he won't have the hassle of trying to sell a house or apartment in Liverpool, and will be back where he wanted to be for the past 18 months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

If Rodgers lets Carroll go for ~15m he's a moron.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    What would you like to see Rodgers do with the squad Lloyd?

Keep Carroll? Bring in who, strengthen where etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,523 ✭✭✭joe123

Are you gunna be like this for the entire season? The signing of Carroll in the first place was moronic. Want to blame Rodgers for that too?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

How much is he worth so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,586 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

There was talk when Rodgers initially ruled himself out of the running for the job that he had fairly drastic views on the squad and that he'd only take the job if he could ship out some of the expensive flops of the Dalglish regime. If that were true, I'd figure it was more aimed at Downing and Adam, seeing as Carroll at least had shown improvement in the closing months of the season.

If we sell him, so be it. Rodgers has to be allowed to shape his squad, and ultimately he will live and die by those decisions. At £20 million, I could even get on board with it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

It's a great bit of business. Very impressed with him so far.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18850955

Newcastle are expected to return with an improved offer to Liverpool striker Andy Carroll on loan.
    Liverpool dismissed Newcastle's first offer on Sunday night, but the Anfield club will consider an improved offer.

The Newcastle hierarchy have retained their admiration for the 23-year-old since he left for Liverpool in 2011.
    The forward had initially resolved to prove himself to new Reds boss Brendan Rodgers but is now understood to be keen to return to his hometown club.
    The initial offer fell below Liverpool's expectations, with Newcastle only offering to pay part of Carroll's £80,000-a-week wages.
    The proposal included a clause that would have seen Newcastle pay £13m if the deal had been made permanent - the Anfield club are understood to want at least £17m.
    Carroll was not with the Liverpool squad as they left for a pre-season tour of North America on Monday having been granted an extended holiday after Euro 2012.
    The England striker is due to join up with the squad on 23 July, alongside other internationals such as captain Steven Gerrard and goalkeeper Pepe Reina.
    West Ham co-owner David Gold has also said the Upton Park club would be interested in signing Carroll.
    Carroll struggled with Liverpool until belatedly finding both form and goals towards the end of last season.

He headed the winner for Liverpool against Blackburn, while also scoring against Everton in a FA Cup semi-final win and the 2-1 loss to Chelsea in the final.
    He scored for England at Euro 2012 in the win against Sweden, but appears to have fallen out of favour at Anfield.
    Rodgers signed striker Fabio Borini from Roma earlier this week in his first signing since taking over as Liverpool manager.
    He is also planning contract talks to keep Uruguayan forward Luis Suarez at Anfield but has been noncommittal when talking about Carroll's future.
    The striker helped the Magpies back into the Premier League with 17 league goals in the 2009-10 Championship season.
    Carroll continued his promising form in the top flight in the following campaign and made his senior England debut under Fabio Capello in a 2-1 defeat at Wembley by France.
    He scored 11 times in 19 league games before becoming the most expensive British player when ex-Liverpool manager Kenny Dalglish took him to Anfield.

Although initially I was against the selling of Carroll, and would like to see him in and around the squad next year, if we can get 20m for him I'd nearly walk him there myself.

PaulieC wrote: »
    What would you like to see Rodgers do with the squad Lloyd?

Keep Carroll? Bring in who, strengthen where etc?

Selling Carroll is simply not an option, not yet. He has just put together his best block of form for us and the price is simply too low right now. We / Rodgers is obliged to rotate him in up top and see if he can push on this year. Yes, he has been disappointing but he is still very young and has an upside that the likes of Henderson / Downing / Adam can't touch.

What I would do is a much longer post that I don't have time to get into for the moment...

• Advertisement

Although initially I was against the selling of Carroll, and would like to see him in and around the squad next year, if we can get 20m for him I'd nearly walk him there myself.

I don't think Carroll will leave for 20 million

Selling Carroll is simply not an option, not yet. He has just put together his best block of form for us and the price is simply too low right now. We / Rodgers is obliged to rotate him in up top and see if he can push on this year. Yes, he has been disappointing but he is still very young and has an upside that the likes of Henderson / Downing / Adam can't touch.

What I would do is a much longer post that I don't have time to get into for the moment...

What of the fact that he just doesn't fit into Rodgers plans/style?

If he stays and doesn't play he'll surely be worth much less next season.
    Rodgers by actually not saying much has created a bit of a fuss and interest in Carroll.
    He seems to want rid and it may be for more than we know.
    I wouldn't be surprised if his agent has actually started this all off as he isn't the most pleasant man in the world. (I'm being polite:))

It's a great bit of business. Very impressed with him so far.

Impressed with what?

Aurelio was always leaving. Kuyt / Maxi left of their own accord. He couldn't convince Maxi to stay. He couldn't seal the deal with a player he apparently had a great relationship with. Cole / Downing are still on the books with no indication that they're off anywhere.

He's signed Borrini which looks like it could be a decent piece of business, and it's early days - but what is there to be "very impressed" with?

amiable wrote: »
    I don't think Carroll will leave for 20 million

TBH, I don't either. 15m for me would be a bit too low consider the potential he showed in the last few months. However, I still have my doubts about the player, and something in the region of 18-20m can get you a player such as Huntelaar.

I think the main issue for me when it comes to making up my mind about his sale or not, is who we would replace him with. Obviously if I was told we had 10m in the bank for a striker already and someone as unrealistic as Cavani/Higuain could be got for 25m I'd sell Carroll instantly, but players of that caliber are not going to come to us.

For me, its very hard to tell how Carroll would do under Rodgers next year, but for 20m, I'd be willing to not find out.

• Advertisement

joe123 wrote: »
    What of the fact that he just doesn't fit into Rodgers plans/style?

So Rodgers plans to implent plan A all of the time, every game? If his "system" can't utilise a potentially game changing physical specimen then it can get ****ed imo.

No worries.

I would tend to agree on Carroll - I don't really want him to leave, especially with the way he ended the season - causing trouble for defences like we know he can.

I wouldn't include Henderson in the same bracket as Adam & Downing though tbh - he still has youth on his side like Carroll & they can both continue to develop.

The only reason I would be okay with Carroll leaving is if I was sure the replacements brought in improved the squad as a whole.

By this I mean, were Carroll to go and say, a decent winger, cover for CM/CDM and another striker of quality brought in, then I'd be fine but I'm not sure that'll happen in one window for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭klose

I guess rodgers is looking at it this way he'll get the best price for him now giving his recent "form" he's obviously looking for a few more signings if he's looking to cash in. If he kept him till the next transfer window his value could've dropped by then and by the sounds of things he wont be prioritised so thats a possibility..

amiable wrote: »
    If he stays and doesn't play he'll surely be worth much less next season.
    Rodgers by actually not saying much has created a bit of a fuss and interest in Carroll.
    He seems to want rid and it may be for more than we know.
    I wouldn't be surprised if his agent has actually started this all off as he isn't the most pleasant man in the world. (I'm being polite:))

Has Rodgers said anything untoward really though?

I think the media have simply overreacted to some fairly innocent comments and caused a bit of a shítstorm as per usual

TBH, I don't either. 15m for me would be a bit too low consider the potential he showed in the last few months. However, I still have my doubts about the player, and something in the region of 18-20m can get you a player such as Huntelaar.

I think the main issue for me when it comes to making up my mind about his sale or not, is who we would replace him with. Obviously if I was told we had 10m in the bank for a striker already and someone as unrealistic as Cavani/Higuain could be got for 25m I'd sell Carroll instantly, but players of that caliber are not going to come to us.

For me, its very hard to tell how Carroll would do under Rodgers next year, but for 20m, I'd be willing to not find out.

I think the thing that influences peoples opinions is the fee Liverpool paid for Carroll. We really have to forget that as it was terrible business.
    A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay for him.
    We seem to be hung that other clubs fans are laughing at us over the business the club has done over the last couple of years especially.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

why would Newcastle loan him for a season and then buy him?

If we believe that we're stupid, I mean they know what they're getting and they're clearly not going to buy him just like AC & Juve did with Aqua.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

So Rodgers plans to implent plan A all of the time, every game? If his "system" can't utilise a potentially game changing physical specimen then it can get ****ed imo.

I don't want to start having a go at the manager but its seriously stupid if he does only go with a plan A . I would agree that he can get ****ed if he only wants to play one way because in this day and age its ridiculous you need to have a plan A , B , C if you want to succeed .

I believe right now we are going backwards , Borini in and Kuyt , Maxi and Aurelio all gone now so we are looking weaker . I know people say we have Aqualani and Cole back but I think we should just flog them or kill off their contracts because to me they really offer nothing .

PaulieC wrote: »
    Has Rodgers said anything untoward really though?

I think the media have simply overreacted to some fairly innocent comments and caused a bit of a shítstorm as per usual

I think it's actually because of what Rodgers actually didn't say.
    I can't emphasise enough how much his agent is probably pulling media strings at the moment and he is not a man to be trusted.
    He will probably be rubbing his hands at the prospect of another big pay day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Strawberry Fields

Carroll has to go a lamp post has no place in the short passing style Rodgers will look to implement, with intricate passing and drilled crosses, much the same way Ibrahimovic got sold at Barca. I just hope he recoups a good bit of what we paid and invests it wisely in some flair.

For the most part it will be plan A. You really think Carroll would be happy to act as a plan B player? A player on 80 grand worth of wages, 15 or so million worth sitting on our bench for 90% of the season?

No I would much rather Rodgers gets to ship out a player he doesnt rate and bring in a player he does and one who is much better suited to his style of play.

We aren't talking about a llorente or ibrahimovich here. Unfortunately for him his asset his suited to a direct long ball team.

Thanks but no thanks. Hodgson opened our eyes to that wonderful style and it made me feel a bit sick.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement