Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

danniemcq wrote: »
    trying to figure out what your new username will be?

:p

We could always transfer him to the Newcastle superthread if he wants to keep the name :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I've long held the view that Agger was a player who could make Real and Bacra even better than they are (don't gooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!).

Is this what Rodgers has in mind for a typical starting 11

Reina
    Johnson--Skrtel-Agger--Enrique
    Lucas
    ----Gerrard
    Allen
    --Suarez---Borini---Dempsey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

i'm sorry, but Newcastle, will you ever fúck off.

you sold him, he's our player, we told you no to the loan deal, now pay up the money now that we want or fúck off.

stop playing out the transfer in the media.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

SlickRic wrote: »
    i'm sorry, but Newcastle, will you ever fúck off.

you sold him, he's our player, we told you no to the loan deal, now pay up the money now that we want or fúck off.

stop playing out the transfer in the media.

Newcastle can play out the transfer all they want in the media but that doesn't mean Liverpool have to engage in it.
    To be fair they wouldn't have to unsettle Carroll through the media.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Talk on a few less-than-perfect sites about another Chelsea ex-youth, Gokhan Tore. Saw some highlights, he looks very decent - quick, direct, good pass and shot on him. They let him go for £1M last summer!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

mike65 wrote: »
    I've long held the view that Agger was a player who could make Real and Bacra even better than they are

That's because it's quite true

[/Aggerlove]

amiable wrote: »
    Newcastle can play out the transfer all they want in the media but that doesn't mean Liverpool have to engage in it.

To be fair they wouldn't have to unsettle Carroll through the media.

i actually think Carroll is pretty settled now, and it's since that game at St James' really.

but yes, i'd imagine it possibly would take much to unsettle him again.

however, some of constant quotes from Newcastle and Pardew smell a bit of of 'arry Redknapp syndrome and i just can't abide it.

however, some of constant quotes from Newcastle and Pardew smell a bit of of 'arry Redknapp syndrome and i just can't abide it.

He is a triffic player though...:D

Dickerty wrote: »
    Talk on a few less-than-perfect sites about another Chelsea ex-youth, Gokhan Tore. Saw some highlights, he looks very decent - quick, direct, good pass and shot on him. They let him go for £1M last summer!!

He is very raw, but looks to be very talented, has all the qualities you mentioned, but is quite strong as well as having a good workrate. Would be one I would see us go for as squad cover, if there is any truth at all to us being linked with him, rather than being ready to take a first team spot on a regular basis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 452 ✭✭NEDDURC

Kess73 wrote: »
    He is very raw, but looks to be very talented, has all the qualities you mentioned, but is quite strong as well as having a good workrate. Would be one I would see us go for as squad cover, if there is any truth at all to us being linked with him, rather than being ready to take a first team spot on a regular basis.

Reading the Borini interview I was surprised by the fact that Rodgers had kept in touch with him since he left England. Don't know anything about this player but could be a similar case here. Looks like he could be decent cover.

• Advertisement

i actually think Carroll is pretty settled now, and it's since that game at St James' really.

but yes, i'd imagine it possibly would take much to unsettle him again.

His home is still back in Newcastle, and he is no closer to buying a house or apartment in Liverpool or near Liverpool than he was 18 months ago.

The guy has never properly settled, and by all accounts still uses his old watering holes on pretty much a week by week basis rather than trying to get used to a new city.

At least the likes of Henderson and Downing get seen out and about on a semi regular basis in the city during and get seen exploring the shops/clubs etc.

Carroll is, imho of course, a complete homebird who just cannot handle being away from Newcastle for too long.

Cheers - seems like a couple of million might be enough.

I can't remember a summer with us being linked to so many Germany players...do we have an active scout there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Just over a month to the start of the EPL.

Just a quick question.....Suarez and Bellamy are playing in the Olympics, so if Andy is to be left go, who do we have to start the season with....fairly light as it is with Carroll....

His home is still back in Newcastle, and he is no closer to buying a house or apartment in Liverpool or near Liverpool than he was 18 months ago.

The guy has never properly settled, and by all accounts still uses his old watering holes on pretty much a week by week basis rather than trying to get used to a new city.

i actually thought this had changed for some reason.

for one, his play after that St James' Park game seemed to suggest he had turned a corner on that count, maybe due to the abuse he got, but that was perhaps misleading.

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Reading the Borini interview I was surprised by the fact that Rodgers had kept in touch with him since he left England. Don't know anything about this player but could be a similar case here. Looks like he could be decent cover.

Borini, for me, is a much more developed player than Tore despite their similar ages. Borini is good enough, or very close to it, to take a gamble on him as a first team regular, and I think that if he is used as the main striker from August onwards we could see him develop and advance very quickly as a player.

Tore is a bit behind him at present and I think if he were to come to the EPL he would benefit more by being a bit part player rather than risked as a first team regular. Will be a good CAM in the future though methinks, and a pretty effective wide player as well.

Just a quick question.....Suarez and Bellamy are playing in the Olympics, so if Andy is to be left go, who do we have to start the season with....fairly light as it is with Carroll....

Borini and Dempsey (if you can believe the rumour mill)

Carroll is, imho of course, a complete homebird who just cannot handle being away from Newcastle for too long.

You are mod of birdwatching, and you are using the term homebird? :D
    What sort of bird is he them? Heron, egret or bittern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

So who are we gonna get with the Carroll money? Dempsey seems the most obvious target and he'll probably be between 8m-10m?

In my opinion we need a few more attacking players, unless Rodgers things some of the youngsters will make the step up, we're quite light in the department.

Ban him Kess! Ban the **** :pac:

Well, we cannot go into the season after 4 trophies with only 3 strikers, not when we will pay 3 in attack. Kuyt and Maxi already gone, so if Carroll goes as well, I think it is Borini, Dempsey and one other. Luis will miss the first few games as it is. And Borini would not be expected to start every game.

Huntelaar please!

• Advertisement

So who are we gonna get with the Carroll money? Dempsey seems the most obvious target and he'll probably be between 8m-10m?

In my opinion we need a few more attacking players, unless Rodgers things some of the youngsters will make the step up, we're quite light in the department.

Even if Carroll stays I think we definitely need another attacking option. My preference is still a creative goal-scoring type winger.
    If we presume that we will play a 4-3-3 system and Suarez and Borini are in the front 3 then we don't have any similar back up to them. Carroll is a very different player. Otherwise we are down to using youth or midfielders who aren't that attack minded.

i actually thought this had changed for some reason.

for one, his play after that St James' Park game seemed to suggest he had turned a corner on that count, maybe due to the abuse he got, but that was perhaps misleading.

His play is certain games after that one suggested he turned a corner, but go take a look at the games that followed the Newcastle one and you might get a surprise at how many of the games that followed saw meh performances from him rather than the "he finished the season in flying form" theory that some push .

After the Newcastle game, there were 8 games left in Liverpool's season.

I would say that he was excellent in the league game against Chelsea, excellent for the 30 minutes he got against Chelsea in the cup final, very good in the semi against Everton, and good against Blackbure where he popped up with a crucial goal.

But he was dire against both Fulham and West Brom, similar against Villa, and back to falling down over and over against Swansea.

Seems to me that the league game against Chelsea and the 30 minute cameo agasin the same club in the final is what many are basing their evaluation of the player upon. But he finished the season before in a similar manner. He was unplayable against Man City when he got two goals against them, and had one or two other good games towards the end of last season, so that is two season ends in a row for Liverpool that he has appeared to be settling.

Can we risk going into the new season in the hope that he somehow managed to find the ability to put in decent to good performances for most of the season with only a few bad performances? For me the guy has shown since March 2011 that he puts in far more poor to meh performances that he does good ones, and whilst I bought into the "he is settling and will come good next season" thing at the end of the 2010/11 season, I just don't buy it now. I think he will never make the same effort for Liverpool on a season long basis that he appeared to make in a Newcastle shirt.

For me if we got £15m to £17m for Carroll, then that is money that could bring in a Belhanda, or a Sissoko. Players who would not be positional replacements for Carroll but who could really strengthen the first team to a greater degree than Carroll does.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ban him Kess! Ban the **** :pac:

I'm just trying to build a profile of the player, through the medium of cross-species comparisons. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Wow just watched that Tore fella for the first time.
    Exactly my type of player .

Always looking to go forward and attack, keen for a pass and quick as they come with a sweet left foot.

Might need take the headless chicken trait out of his game and maybe needs a season more to develope but I could see him doing well in a squad that Rodgers is building.

A housesparrow. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Really thought you were going to go with 'Housemartin' :)

J.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Why is people talking about getting tiote in the deal for carroll he would be of no use to us as surely he bouldnt be happy being a sub behind lucas.

Cabaye is the one we should be after!

*still dont want carroll to go though

jasonb wrote: »

J.

Nah a house martin is a migratory bird, a house sparrow is more sedentary and as such suits my purpose in this conversation. :D

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Why is people talking about getting tiote in the deal for carroll he would be of no use to us as surely he bouldnt be happy being a sub behind lucas.

Cabaye is the one we should be after!

*still dont want carroll to go though

Tiote would deserve a place. Having him and Lucas together would allow the full backs to be even more advanced, and if anything it might allow Lucas to trot forward a little more to pick a pass, which you will see him do for Brazil.

But unless either of them wants to go, Newcastle would only sell for silly money...

• Advertisement

redzerdrog wrote: »

Me fail english? Thats unpossible :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Realistically if we get €17 million for him i'd take it at this stage... once you factor in his wages of €80,000 a week (or the guts of €5 mil a year) we'd really be looking at bringing (or saving) close to €15/20 mill by getting him off the books also.

So we'll have a chunk of change to play around with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Big-bird-NEW.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

For me if we got £15m to £17m for Carroll, then that is money that could bring in a Belhanda, or a Sissoko. Players who would not be positional replacements for Carroll but who could really strengthen the first team to a greater degree than Carroll does.

You realise we won't be buying either of them right?! :confused:

Likely we'll be spending the money of Dempsey or someone of that ilk.

**** that ****.

jasonb wrote: »

J.

I would go with this midfield and front line ;

............Jennifer......
    Alison ... Phillipa....Sue
    .....Deborah...Annabell..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

NEDDURC wrote: »
    Even if Carroll stays I think we definitely need another attacking option. My preference is still a creative goal-scoring type winger.

I'd have to agree with this as well. I just dont know if we should take the money we get from the Carroll sale, if he is indeed sold, and spend it all on one amazeballs player or should we use it to improve a number of positions.

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    Realistically if we get €17 million for him i'd take it at this stage... once you factor in his wages of €80,000 a week (or the guts of €5 mil a year) we'd really be looking at bringing (or saving) close to €15/20 mill by getting him off the books also.

So we'll have a chunk of change to play around with.

Pretty sure whoever is signed will be expecting an outrageous weekly wage.

Mr Alan wrote: »

**** that ****.

Whats wrong with Dempsey?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Leiva wrote: »
    I would go with this midfield and front line ;

............Jennifer......
    Alison ... Phillipa....Sue
    .....Deborah...Annabell..

And for the defence you could have :

...................Shirely............................
    Julie .... Jane .... Cathy .... New Signing

J.

Is boards.ie struggling today ??

Soooo sloooow

**** that ****.

No, we will not be spending between 15 and 20M on Dempsey. We might spend a part of that on him, and the rest elsewhere, maybe to fund a move for Allen? Would that make Mr Alan happier?

• Advertisement

Leiva wrote: »
    Is boards.ie struggling today ??

Soooo sloooow

Can't cope with the fall out of Carroll being sold back to Newcastle and the money being spent on Dempsey.

I could live with Dempsey & Allen for Carroll .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

NukaCola wrote: »
    Whats wrong with Dempsey?

Nothing, he's a good player & I'm happy to have him on board. But pushing 30, it'd be stupid to do it at the expense of Carroll, we're already short up front.

Borini
    Dempsey
    Suarez
    Bellamy

Not enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

mike65 wrote: »
    Pretty sure whoever is signed will be expecting an outrageous weekly wage.

Really? Why? Isn't Borini only on €30,000 a week?

**** that ****.

I said a Belhanda or a Sissoko, not Belhanda or Sissoko. I meant that style of player and close to that quality.

To use a few lesser names then. Say we got £17m for Carroll, and then went shopping at Fulham for Dembele. In the last 11 months of his contract, can play as a CAM/AM or as a support striker, and can cover in CM if needed. Good playmaker and a clever player. Would improve our first team and would not be overly expensive. Could pop into a three man midfield as the AM of the trio.

Then we go to Seville and try to get Gary Medel. Given he has more left on his contract than Dembele he would probably cost more. Fierce in the tackle, fast, very mobile, loads of stamina, good positionallly, very similar to Mascherano in build and style of play, but is a better passer of the ball than Masch (not that Masch was bad at that tbh)

I would imagine that both those players could be got for £17m or less.

Neither are massive names, neither would be at clubs that can offer them CL football, and they would be upgrades on what we have at the club.

Now we have a midfield trio of

Dembele
    ----Medel
    Lucas

and stick our regular back four (and Pepe) behind that trio.

Lucas would have a guy beside him that would work hard and who could go to war with pretty much anyone who goes up against him. So Lucas would have a partner in midfield who can break up play as well as Lucas can, and who is probably a better pure DM than Lucas. Lucas would also have the freedom to be able to venture further up the pitch with Medel in the team wioth him, and if one of them was injured we would still have the other in the team.

Then ahead of Lucas he would have Dembele. Quick, clever, mobile and skilled. Well able to link the centre of the pitch to the attacking trio and also capable of switching roles with at least two of the front three.

Now throw a front three of

X
    Borini ----Suarez .

And we have a team that for not a lot of money is far better than the one that finished last season.

Throw in Gerrard, Henderson, Shelvey, Downing, Sterling, Adam etc and we have back up or competition for CM, CAM, and at least one wide spot.

Now I would love Belhanda or Sissoko, but there are cheaper options out there, not that the two I mentioned would cost the kind of money that say Downing and Henderson did, who would enhance our first team to a significant degree and who would not be flavour of the month players or big marquee names.

Replacing Carroll with Dempsey only would be a big error.

Keep Carroll and sign Dempsey. We need a big squad as we are involved in Europe too.

Unless he has Dempsey and another striker lined up, it doesn't make sense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Nothing, he's a good player & I'm happy to have him on board. But pushing 30, it'd be stupid to do it at the expense of Carroll, we're already short up front.

Borini
    Dempsey
    Suarez
    Bellamy

Not enough.

Add Carrolls name to the list and it's still not good enough.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Replacing Carroll with Dempsey only would be a big error.

Keep Carroll and sign Dempsey. We need a big squad as we are involved in Europe too.

Unless he has Dempsey and another striker lined up, it doesn't make sense

There is no suggestion that he wouldn't look to replace him, with Kuyt and Maxi already gone. The fact that Carroll and Dempsey discussions are ongoing at the same time doesn't mean they are directly connected...

Playing 3 up front, we need 5 good options - Suarez, Dempsey, Borini, Bellamy. None of the youngsters are there yet. So I need something else there.

. Luis will miss the first few games as it is.

I don't see why he would miss the first few games, he is basically doing pre season at the Olympics and with the big games we have early on we cant afford to rest him.

Its not like when he played in the Copa America he had his break at the start of the summer this time.

There is no suggestion that he wouldn't look to replace him, with Kuyt and Maxi already gone. The fact that Carroll and Dempsey discussions are ongoing at the same time doesn't mean they are directly connected...

Playing 3 up front, we need 5 good options - Suarez, Dempsey, Borini, Bellamy. None of the youngsters are there yet. So I need something else there.

I thought it looked like Bellamy was on the way out too. Given that we haven't signed Dempsey yet then we are looking short up front.
    I think Downing may be used more this year in a further forward role. He did well for Villa in that way previously.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement