Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

All the complaints under Kenny that we didn't seem to buy and sell with a clear vision of how we would like to play football. Now here we have Rodgers obviously with a clear philosophy of how he wants to play trying to buy and sell players based on that vision but the knifes are still out.

It seems pretty clear Rodgers is looking for players who can play across the front three positions with fluidity, interchange, movement etc. Carroll just doesn't suit that style of play. I'm really struggling to understand what people don't get about us looking to move him on. I don't expect us to play the type of football Rodgers wants overnight. It will be a slow most likely painful process which will take time with many step along the way.

Getting rid of Carroll is just a step in that process. He was bought with the ideas of a previous regime in mind for a hugely overinflated fee. None of which has anything to do with Rodgers. He's just a new manager trying to build a squad from other past managers visions of which Andy is probably just one of many players he feels doesn't belong in his own.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Sky Sports linking Liverpool with Kevin Mirallas.
    He has a buyout clause of £6.4 million apparently

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

noodler wrote: »
    Hey I am Keane's biggest defender during his time here (7 goals and 5 assists in 5 months).

I am just saying a loss of 4m in such a short space of time is still colossal.

I agree, i was just using your post to continue a discussion on it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

mayordenis wrote: »
    I'm just going to say what we're all thinking.

Everyone in this thread is a troll, every last one of you, and me. Everybodys Trollin'.

they-see-me-rollin-cat-turtle-animated.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

opr wrote: »
    All the complaints under Kenny that we didn't seem to buy and sell with a clear vision of how we would like to play football. Now here we have Rodgers obviously with a clear philosophy of how he wants to play trying to buy and sell players based on that vision but the knifes are still out.

It seems pretty clear Rodgers is looking for players who can play across the front three positions with fluidity, interchange, movement etc. Carroll just doesn't suit that style of play. I'm really struggling to understand what people don't get about us looking to move him on. I don't expect us to play the type of football Rodgers wants overnight. It will be a slow most likely painful process which will take time with many step along the way.

Getting rid of Carroll is just a step in that process. He was bought with the ideas of a previous regime in mind for a hugely overinflated fee. None of which has anything to do with Rodgers. He's just a new manager trying to build a squad from other past managers visions of which Andy is probably just one of many players he feels doesn't belong in his own.

Opr

You realise if it's a slow gruelling process Rodgers will just get the bullet, right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Kess, Carroll has performed well for the last few months. You're ignoring that & using his scoring stats to beat him with, while important, they are not the sole indicator of whether he's played well.

All this talk of Rodgers style etc, I can't ****ing wait for the season to start. People are gonna be scratching their heads when we don't turn into Barca overnight.

No you are right that goals are not the sole indicator of how well a player is doing, but they sure as hell are a big indicator when it comes to strikers.

Plus the "Carroll performed well for months" myth is pretty laughable. It gets trotted out over and over as if he was playing well for a few months in a row when he was having as many anonymous in the final three or four months of the season as he was having good to excellent games. Hell, take the cup games out of it and all you are left with are the Chelsea and Everton games in the league for really good performances and the Blackburn game for a good performance.

It is great that you don't think that goals or rather not getting goals is a big deal for a centre forward, but I happen to think that if someone says that a club's striker or centre forward had performed well for a number of months that there would be a respectable amount of goals scored.

Yeah I use his inability to get goals as a stick to beat him with, and one league goal from the final three months of the season that people like you say is him performing well really highlights how accepting of mediocre performances people can be when it suits their own agenda.

Ah shure Andy was great for the last few months of the season. So what if he is a striker who cannot score on even a semi regular basis or even get a decent amount of assists to make up for his lack of goals. We always have his four or five good games to cling to as we ignore the fact that he was poor to average in four or five times that number of games.

Thank Christ we bought Diouf in 2002 as his performance in his first full season at Liverpool has saved Carroll from having the lowest scoring debut season for a Liverpool number 9 in the club's history.

There is a flip side to your arguement about how much latent ability Carroll has. You can say it would be stupid to move him on as he may come good, but even an average player can have four or five eyecatching performances in a season. Maybe that's all Carroll's "months" of performing well was.

And as for people expecting Liverpool to turn into Barca overnight? Behave. A decent improvement on last season's peformances will keep most happy, and if the team plays some decent football along the way then that will be a bonus.

Barca? LMAO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kess, Carroll has performed well for the last few months. You're ignoring that & using his scoring stats to beat him with, while important, they are not the sole indicator of whether he's played well.

All this talk of Rodgers style etc, I can't ****ing wait for the season to start. People are gonna be scratching their heads when we don't turn into Barca overnight.

He hasn't ignored it. He's already pointed out that Carroll didn't perform well in the last few months. He had a few good-excellent games in the last few months along with his usual ****e.

Edit: ^ There he goes again. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Why cite that & not his phenomenal cameo against Chelsea in the FA Cup where he very nearly brought the game into extra time by himself? :confused:

Because based on what I have seen of him so far if he stays at the club we are more likely to see moments like this than his effort against Chelsea. That moment also shows that he lacks professionalism, he bottled rolling the ball into an empty net against his boyhood club in the hope that someone else would do it from the penalty spot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭wonderfullife

Interesting Forbes List on the top 50 most valuable sports teams

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/07/16/manchester-united-tops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

(LFC doesn't make the list)

An alternative list which bases things on social media - google searches, facebook fans, twitter mentions and youtube views places LFC the 11th biggest club in the world (behind Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and City in English terms, with the next club being Spurs in a lowly 49th place)

http://www.starcount.com/chart/sports-team/4f2ad56a2418ae215b000084/today

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Opr

Its not just that though.

I understand we have limited resources but unless the offer for Carroll is decent then are you going to be throwing the bathwater out with the baby to some extent by accepting a 15m bid?

Will we not be leaving ourselves without any Plan B or variation for the sake of public perception?

• Advertisement

Why cite that & not his phenomenal cameo against Chelsea in the FA Cup where he very nearly brought the game into extra time by himself? :confused:

Because if one is to look at the good performances, then the rubbish ones need to be looked at as well, especially when he had far more of one than the other.

Interesting Forbes List on the top 50 most valuable sports teams

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2012/07/16/manchester-united-tops-the-worlds-50-most-valuable-sports-teams/

(LFC doesn't make the list)

An alternative list which bases things on social media - google searches, facebook fans, twitter mentions and youtube views places LFC the 11th biggest club in the world (behind Man U, Arsenal, Chelsea and City in English terms, with the next club being Spurs in a lowly 49th place)

http://www.starcount.com/chart/sports-team/4f2ad56a2418ae215b000084/today

How many Facebook likes will a decent forward cost us? :pac:

You realise if it's a slow gruelling process Rodgers will just get the bullet, right?

It was exactly that in the league when Rafa first came in. I did not see many wanting him sacked in his first or second season, because there were genuine signs of improvement. If Rodgers does likewise then he will not be getting the bullet.

Just after turning on SSN, didn't realise we'd actually confirmed that Carroll wasn't part of our immediate plans to the players reps. We've made a bags of this, the player & potential suitors hold all the cards here. Loan move it is :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Kevin Miralles would be a great signing

Just after turning on SSN, didn't realise we'd actually confirmed that Carroll wasn't part of our immediate plans to the players reps. We've made a bags of this, the player & potential suitors hold all the cards here. Loan move it is :(

Pfffft Sky.....lol

Kess73 wrote: »
    It was exactly that in the league when Rafa first came in. I did not see many wanting him sacked in his first or second season, because there were genuine signs of improvement. If Rodgers does likewise then he will not be getting the bullet.

Loads wanted him sacked in season 1 & 2. And let's remember we won the FA Cup & Champions League in those seasons & Rafa's record prior to joining us was slightly more impressive than Rodgers.

Again, he CANNOT be allowed to go on loan.

Whatever about letting him go to give Rodgers extra funds to fufil his vision, paying (a portion of) his wages whilst at another club whilst his contract runs down by another year is not acceptable.

No moar Aquamans! (Aquamen?)

Rodgers can't change the knee jerk reaction of fans or football as a whole.

What I see is a guy trying to build with a very clear vision of what he wants who is already strong enough it seems to take tough decisions that may not be overly popular. Whether he should keep Carroll or not can be debated back and forth but at least he is showing he has the balls to make decisions and follow it through based on his vision.

I don't even know what peoples arguments are for keeping Carroll. I don't believe we need a plan B and I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't subscribe to that train of thinking so what would we be doing keeping him if Rodgers is our manager?

Opr

• Advertisement

Again, he CANNOT be allowed to go on loan.

Whatever about letting him go to give Rodgers extra funds to fufil his vision, paying (a portion of) his wages whilst at another club whilst his contract runs down by another year is not acceptable.

No moar Aquamans! (Aquamen?)

Rodgers has told the player's reps he's not in his plans.

His reps say Carroll has no interest in a permanent move away from Liverpool.

Loan it is.

Lets not pretend Kenny lost his job because fans are impatient.

Rodgers can't change the knee jerk reaction of fans or football as a whole.

What I see is a guy trying to build with a very clear vision of what he wants who is already strong enough it seems to take tough decisions that may not be overly popular. Whether he should keep Carroll or not can be debated back and forth but at least he is showing he has the balls to make decisions and follow it through based on his vision.

I don't even know what peoples arguments are for keeping Carroll. I don't believe we need a plan B and I'm pretty sure Rodgers doesn't subscribe to that train of thinking so what would we be doing keeping him if Rodgers is our manager?

Opr

Might be jumping the gun on that one, I don't think the Carroll situation is a tough one, I cannot see him facing much opposition with the decision to get rid of him.

Article from EPLIndex. Andy Carroll in Brendan Rodgers system.

Since Brendan Rodgers took over at Liverpool, there’s been a lot of speculation about Andy Carroll’s future, with Rodgers himself saying he’d have to “look at” the possibility of loaning out the striker.

Could Andy Carroll fit into the Rodgers style? Swansea’s passing game last season was well documented, so that’s where I started – with a comparison of passing quantity and quality for Liverpool’s and Swansea’s 2011/2012 line-ups. We’re interested in how Carroll might fit in, when set against the types of players that Rodgers assembled at Swansea.

A quick note on data here; I’ve filtered out players who played less than 500 minutes across the season and where a statistic is a quantity rather than a percentage (e.g. number of passes), then I’ve converted it into number per minute played. This deals with players having differing amounts of time on the pitch across a season and makes them comparable.

First up, number of passes played per minute (vertical axis) vs. passing accuracy (horizontal axis). Liverpool players in red and Swansea in blue.

Liverpool-v-Swansea-1.png

It’s immediately obvious that Carroll (bottom left hand corner of the chart) plays fewer passes per minute on the pitch and is less accurate with those passes than the majority of Swansea’s 2011/2012 team. Or for that matter, compared to his Liverpool team mates. The hypothesis that Rodgers favours a passing game also looks valid, with a cluster of Swansea players appearing in the top-right corner.

We can discount the two goalkeepers’ passing stats for this analysis, but Twitter provided some immediate and very interesting feed-back on other players who appear in the bottom-left of that first chart. On a purely passing analysis, Carroll looks potentially better than Swansea’s Danny Graham, who played under Rodgers, with Carroll playing more passes (0.35/min vs. 0.21/min) but being less accurate (64% vs. 77% accuracy). Maybe he could fit in a Rodgers team after all?

For me, it depends on how you view the Rodgers philosophy. A passing system could be looked at as favouring quality over quantity and in a “don’t give the ball away” approach, more passes and less accuracy would count significantly against a player. Carroll, on average, misplaced eleven passes per game, while Graham misplaced four.

By that measure, the players look much less similar and Carroll gives the ball away nearly three times as often as Graham.

Another point which jumped out from the first chart was that measured solely on passing accuracy and quantity, Suarez doesn’t look particularly good either, with only 75% pass accuracy and 0.42 passes per minute. If Carroll doesn’t fit, then maybe the same is true for Suarez?

It’s time to step outside passing stats and have a look at what else these players might add to a team. I’ve left passing accuracy on the horizontal axis, but now we have chances created per minute on the vertical and the size of the circles is shots on target per minute.

Liverpool-v-Swansea-2.png

Suddenly, Suarez jumps to the top, with 0.023 chances created per minute and 0.019 shots on target. He’s less accurate with his passing than any player in Swansea’s 2011/2012 team (with the exception of Vorm, the goalkeeper), but valuable in terms of creating goal scoring chances.

Carroll also looks better in this second analysis and he created more chances per minute than any player who was under Rodgers at Swansea last season. As a side note, a few Twitter comments on the original passing analysis picked up that Jay Spearing scored well for passing, but he falls away badly here.

The question which Rodgers must be wrestling with, is how much he is willing to compromise a passing philosophy to generate more goal scoring chances, if at all? Carroll can undoubtedly do damage and create chances, but he will also give the ball away. He might well be an effective player, but is he an effective player of the type that Brendan Rodgers likes? This analysis and some of the manager’s early comments, would suggest not.

He did. It's not up for dispute.

Pretty hilarious we're now hearing from some we don't need a plan B considering a lack of 1 was one of the invented criticisms thrown at Kenny last season. Now we don't need one though, such is the belief in the managers new style of play. You actually couldn't make it up! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Loan it is.

There are lots of reports coming out at the moment Alan. Some say that Carroll never wanted to leave Newcastle and "wants to come home".

Nothing is set in stone at the moment.

• Advertisement

I think Alan needs to lie down....

There are lots of reports coming out at the moment Alan. Some say that Carroll never wanted to leave Newcastle and "wants to come home".

Nothing is set in stone at the moment.

This isn't an anonymous report, they're quoting his reps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

You know what just give me a season without controversy and I will be happy.
    A season that it's purely footballing matters and no off-field distractions that put the club in the limelight.

It's been a few years since we have had that .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Pretty hilarious we're now hearing from some we don't need a plan B considering a lack of 1 was one of the invented criticisms thrown at Kenny last season. Now we don't need one though, such is the belief in the managers new style of play. You actually couldn't make it up! :p

Who said we don't need one? What is being said is that we don't need Carroll and the hoofball as the Plan B, we can use different players in attack without having to resort to that.

Kenny really didn't have one. He changed players on the pitch, but never really changed the approach to a game...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Loan it is.

Take anything that Mark Curtis says with a pinch of salt

• Advertisement

Loads wanted him sacked in season 1 & 2. And let's remember we won the FA Cup & Champions League in those seasons & Rafa's record prior to joining us was slightly more impressive than Rodgers.

Well I don't remember "loads" wanting Rafa to be sacked during his first season, and certainly not in his second season.

As for Rodger's past record. Who gives a shyte about that now? We have him as the manager of the club and we can get an idea as to how things may go once we get into the season. Right now none of us have a clue as to how the man will do, but I would wager that he will do a hell of a lot better between August and January than Hodgson did, and that Rodgers will still be the manager come the start of the 2013/14 season.

I'm not expecting miracles from the man given our current squad and the amount of overrated players in it, but I am hoping for genuine improvement in terms of points at the very least and to be a lot closer pointwise to a CL slot come April and May than last season.

One thing that is in his favour is that the bar has been set pretty low, especially in the league, by the two men that came before him.

Beat 52 points and an 8th place finish and he has already improved on last season. Gain an extra 10 - 13 points on last season and we will finish next season fighting for a sniff of a CL spot.

My hope for next season is to get around the 62 -65 point mark and if we get more points than that it would be fantastic.

The problem with Kenny was he quite often didn't seem to have a plan A, and the players seemed without structure or instructions.

Edit: No Diggity beat me to it.

So things like an 8th place finish in the league, the Suarez incident, the money spent etc all played no part in Kenny losing his job? It was totally down to the fans that he lost his job.:D

Kess73 wrote: »
    So things like an 8th place finish in the league, the Suarez incident, the money spent etc all played no part in Kenny losing his job? It was totally down to the fans that he lost his job.:D

Everyone knows it was Andy Carroll's fault.

Knex. wrote: »
    Edit: No Diggity beat me to it.

:D

As for Carroll not wanting to leave permanently, if it was going back to Newcastle, I think he would rather that than a loan anywhere else...

Completely agreed on in the need for a Plan B.

Completely disgaree on Kenny:

1) Awful leage results and performances and no real sign that things would improve.

2) Biggest transfer disasters in the club's history

3) His terrbile off-field conduct and PR disasters in terms of the Suarez incident and handling of the media.

Saying it was due to fans having no patience is not accurate - in fact it isn't even up for dispute!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Wow...

Here you go Al.

Have a look at these

Carroll-Stats-EPLIndex.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

no, he didn't.

the League form was absolutely atrocious, and more often than not we went out with very little in the way of a clear gameplan. very little impetus in so many games. this is backed up by the fact we barely ever scored early goals. it was only in the last few minutes of games that we looked dangerous.

and, quite clearly, the owners didn't believe Kenny could get us 4th, after he spent £100m on what we got last season.

it's very easy to forget all that money spent.

never mind the Suarez stuff.

it's not the most ridiculous of conclusions to sack Kenny, even though i'm still not convinced on Rodgers, and I won't be until we see how this season at the very least pans out.

it just seems to me, there are some posters waiting for Rodgers to fail so they can say "I told you so". i hope i'm wrong.

the amount of leeway Kenny gets from you Al is astounding. yes, he's a legend, and rightly always will be. but it seems to me you sometimes have this romanticised view of our tenure under him because he's who he is, and you wouldn't give that leeway to anyone else bar Rafa.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Alan, I'm struggling with some parts of what your saying.

You're using the idea of selling Carroll as a stick to beat Rodgers with while using it was Dalglish that underutilised him last year.

Lots of talk too of replacing Kuyt and Maxi yet the 2 of them were sat on the bench for more or less the entirity of last season.

There's a certain unreasonableness about all this.

For instance if Borini and Dempsey were to come in and play mostly every game they'd play alot more than Carroll, Kuyt and Maxi combined did last season.

And finally this plan B nonsense should not boil down to throwing Andy Carroll up front if we need a goal, that's not plan B, that's no plan at all.

• Advertisement

We don't get to pick the team. We've a manager who believes in playing the game a certain way. If he isn't willing to alter that style or have a plan B then keeping hold of Carroll is pointless.
    mayordenis wrote: »
    And finally this plan B nonsense should not boil down to throwing Andy Carroll up front if we need a goal, that's not plan B, that's no plan at all.

Most reasonable people aren't suggesting that but the way you play with a striker like Andy down the middle as opposed to someone like Suarez should be radically different.

Opr

Unsurprisingly, people have missed the point.

Just to clarify, before people change their opinions to suit, can we all agree that if we loan Carroll, it's horrendous carry on......yea?

Just to clarify, before people change their opinions to suit, can we all agree that if we loan Carroll, it's horrendous carry on......yea?

Completely depends on who we sign to replace him. No point having him rot as 3rd choice striker if the manager doesn't want or trust him for his gameplan.

If he shows at Newcastle during a season loan that he can adapt to their new style, maybe then he can come back to Anfield having proven to Rodgers he has what it takes.

Personally, I've come around to the thought of selling him especially at the 17-20m being touted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't think anyone could possibly think that loaning Carroll is a good idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

The delusion in Al is strong I have to say.

If you saw 1 car heading in one direction, and 15 other cars heading the other, would you assume that the 15 were going the wrong way??

Yes, loaning Carroll unless the purchase clause was non-negotiable and absolute would be a bad idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

100% agree. it would be stupid.

SlickRic wrote: »
    no, he didn't.

the League form was absolutely atrocious, and more often than not we went out with very little in the way of a clear gameplan. very little impetus in so many games. this is backed up by the fact we barely ever scored early goals. it was only in the last few minutes of games that we looked dangerous.

and, quite clearly, the owners didn't believe Kenny could get us 4th, after he spent £100m on what we got last season.

it's very easy to forget all that money spent.

never mind the Suarez stuff.

it's not the most ridiculous of conclusions to sack Kenny, even though i'm still not convinced on Rodgers, and I won't be until we see how this season at the very least pans out.

it just seems to me, there are some posters waiting for Rodgers to fail so they can say "I told you so". i hope i'm wrong.

the amount of leeway Kenny gets from you Al is astounding. yes, he's a legend, and rightly always will be. but it seems to me you sometimes have this romanticised view of our tenure under him because he's who he is, and you wouldn't give that leeway to anyone else bar Rafa.

I expect better from you Slick.

Kenny deserves leeway, I don't get anyone who wouldn't agree.

I would rather see a compromise between the passing game and more direct game to be honest, one which Carroll would very much be a part off.

Trying to score the perfect goal like Arsenal, Barca etc do can be mind numbingly frustrating, there is a lot to be said for mixing things up imo.

• Advertisement

I would rather see a compromise between the passing game and more direct game to be honest, one which Carroll would very much be a part off.

Trying to score the perfect goal like Arsenal, Barca etc do can be mind numbingly frustrating, there is a lot to be said for mixing things up imo.

You mean like when Rafa tried to mix control/passing with a more direct quick transition attacking play.

No our fans hated that too :pac:

Opr

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement