Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,495 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Dickerty wrote: »
    Unless Barca come out and say they want him, I am ok with it. They and Real always pursue their targets very openly. If we hear Pique saying how much he'd like to play alongside him, or Macherano waxing lyrical about what a great defender he is, then we get worried...

Torres' transfer has completely de-sensitized me to probably any transfer now. What. Ever. Just get it over with.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Rodgers plan for the front 3 finally becomes clear.

8_5005ab64b7b8e241799524.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Leiva wrote: »
    I think he will be a big surprise next season and we could be talking this time next year how disappointing it will be to see him go permanently .

Wouldn't that be great? After the humble pie that was dished out to so many once Lucas came good, this would be the icing on the cake...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Milkers wrote: »

Imagine :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Milkers wrote: »

What's all this about then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

All we need now is him

back-to-the-future-121-gigawatts.jpg

and

1a.jpg

plus this

lightning1_0.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Havent seen much of him, but what do people think of Michu?
    2m and a number of goals last year, remember we were tentitivly linked last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 676 ✭✭✭qvsr46ofgc792k

mike65 wrote: »
    All we need now is him

and

1a.jpg

plus this

lightning1_0.jpg

I think your forgetting about The FLux Capacitor?

So what does that give us? Rush middle, Luis right, Robbie left?

Ecky thump!

I think your forgetting about The FLux Capacitor?

You can clearly see it in the DeLorean...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

So what does that give us? Rush middle, Luis right, Robbie left?

Ecky thump!

That would be beautiful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

mike65 wrote: »
    All we need now is him

and

1a.jpg

plus this

lightning1_0.jpg

We have enough fùcking rubbish at the club to keep Marty and Doc going for years .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Joe Cole’s prayers were answered when Brendan Rodgers got the Liverpool FC manager’s job

http://www.chesterchronicle.co.uk/chester-sport/liverpool-fc-news/2012/07/17/joe-cole-s-prayers-were-answered-when-brendan-rodgers-got-the-liverpool-fc-manager-s-job-59067-31409052/
    JOE COLE says all his prayers came true when Brendan Rodgers was appointed Liverpool manager.
    Cole, who was signed by Roy Hodgson then farmed out on loan to Lille by Kenny Dalglish, was named in the Reds’ 34-man touring party which left for the USA yesterday.
    And now he is hoping to get the chance to reignite his Anfield career under the new boss.
    “When I was hearing about Liverpool looking at certain managers, I was praying it was going to be Brendan,” said Cole.

“Not just because he’s not an unknown for me and I know his philosophy on football, but I think for the club the owners have made the right choice.
    “He has just impressed everyone so much since he’s been here.
    “What you get from him is honesty – he’s made that perfectly clear – and you’re going to know where you stand.”
    Cole was snapped up on a free transfer from Chelsea this time two years ago, but endured a troubled start to his Liverpool career.
    Red-carded on his Premier League debut and enduring the ignominy of missing a penalty on his home European debut, he suffered a hamstring injury in October 2010 and missed a large chunk of the season.
    When he returned Hodgson had been sacked and replaced by Dalglish, and the former England midfielder made just four starts – three in the Europa League – before moving across the channel to Lille.
    The switch gave a huge boost to his flagging career and he enjoyed an excellent season in the French League, form he is now hoping to reproduce under Rodgers, with whom he worked at Stamford Bridge.
    “The manager knows what I can do,” he added. “He’s seen me in France and knows what I can do from Chelsea and England.
    “Now is about getting fit, pushing myself every day and in the friendlies, and taking my chance.
    “In the next two or three weeks, I just want to get myself fit, get two or three games out the way and then we’ll see where we are.
    “I’m happy I’m here, I’m playing football. I’m at a great club and I want to be part of it. I think we can do something good this year.
    “Tactically, he’s (Brendan Rodgers) very astute.
    “You look at what he did not just at Swansea, but also when he was at Watford. He’s been a success, he’s young and hungry.
    “I think a lot of clubs are steering towards that in English football now.
    “He’s going to be a success at Liverpool and if we all stick together and pull round, we can do some great things at this club.
    “I know him from my Chelsea days when he was there and I can’t see anything other than positive things.”
    “It’s been a breath of fresh air. A new manager always brings a lift, but the gaffer has come in and really impressed everyone.
    “You talk to anyone – any of the players to the ground staff to the guys on the door – everyone is really impressed with him.
    “The manager has made it clear, it’s not just the players it’s everyone in and around the club.
    “For us to get the results we want, we’ve all got to come together.”
    Cole was brought up in a West Ham Academy renowned for passing football and he believes he can flourish at Liverpool under the same philosophy that Rodgers is trying to implement.
    “That style is what I was brought up with at West Ham and Chelsea,” he said. “At West Ham, we didn’t have the top, top players, but we always tried to play. At Chelsea, we always tried to get the ball down and play and move it.
    “For me, that is football.
    “I love the style of play. At Lille, we played like that as well – getting the ball down and moving.
    “I think sometimes in English football, people automatically think you need to be aggressive – but look at Spain. No-one works harder than Spain.
    “They pass and move the ball quickly, and sometimes physically it’s harder to do that because you’re constantly on the move and you’re fighting and have to be dogged.
    “I firmly believe in that and I think it’s the way forward in football for footballers and clubs now.
    “We’ve seen Spain and Barcelona and how successful they are. The top teams get the ball down and play and move – and that’s what we’re going to try and implement here.
    “But it takes time to change things – and great things take time.
    “It’s going to be a building process. As long as we stick together and try to do what the manager wants us to do, this club will move steadily forward again.”
    It's starting to look like Joe Cole is going to be in the squad for this year coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Off topic but a real eye opener as to what standard the kids need to be at these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

amiable wrote: »

I was debating whether to post that, the headline says hes joined but the content of the video says hes close. Its on fsgs official site too for what its worth. Sounds like its a cert whether its a done deal right now or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Off topic but a real eye opener as to what standard the kids need to be at these days.

Just watched it. I wish I was though to play like that growing up :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Yeah, but do they have a plan B?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I'm happy with the Dempsey signing, always liked him and think he's a smashing player. Hopefully he can continue his run from last season!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Just watched it. I wish I was though to play like that growing up :(

I wish we had linesmen and a flat pitch when we were growing up!!

Some fellas mother on one line and the manager of the other team on the other;)

"Get rid of it" was some of the pearls that we used to get from the line!!

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭AwayWithFaries

Sign them all up!

Talksport report that Fulham have issued a denial that Dempsey is leaving

http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-news/football/premier-league/transfer-rumours/120718/fulham-deny-dempsey-set-join-liverpol-176878

You clicks your links and takes your chances.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Knex. wrote: »
    Would he be a fairly reliable fella? Or rather, would his sources do you think?

Seems not given this mornings news.
    Leiva wrote: »
    Agger to Barca just won't go away :(

Reminds me of the Masch time.

Wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted to move on. Agger could play for any top European side and not look out of place whatsoever.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

While i generally like Dempsey (incident with Bellamy last season excepted) neither him nor Borini excite or fill me with renewed optimism for the season ahead (no more than Adam/Henderson/Downing did last season). If we are signing a player that will excite us by the very fact that he has signed, I hope it's not one of those. They may well excite me with their play, but they don't excite me by virtue of having signed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

5starpool wrote: »
    They may well excite me with their play, but they don't excite me by virtue of having signed.

What?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

There was a quote from Rodgers a week or so ago saying one of our signings would really excite the fans.

I presume what 5starpool means is that so far, he's not excited by who we've signed / are supposed to sign. Yes, they might play well on the field, and excite us there, but who we've signed so far hasn't been exciting. If we signed Messi for example, we'd all be excited the moment we heard of the signing...

J.

5starpool wrote: »
    While i generally like Dempsey (incident with Bellamy last season excepted) neither him nor Borini excite or fill me with renewed optimism for the season ahead (no more than Adam/Henderson/Downing did last season). If we are signing a player that will excite us by the very fact that he has signed, I hope it's not one of those. They may well excite me with their play, but they don't excite me by virtue of having signed.
    NukaCola wrote: »
    What?

Nothing jizz worthy by name but they may be jizz worthy in the team if it all works out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,577 ✭✭✭mormank

If you saw 1 car heading in one direction, and 15 other cars heading the other, would you assume that the 15 were going the wrong way??

Yes, loaning Carroll unless the purchase clause was non-negotiable and absolute would be a bad idea.

Haha, I have seen this on numerous occasions and can honestly say I've never really thought about it but now that I have thought about it I would just assume that they were headed to different places and not that 1 was "going the wrong way".

jasonb wrote: »
    I presume what 5starpool means is that so far, he's not excited by who we've signed / are supposed to sign. Yes, they might play well on the field, and excite us there, but who we've signed so far hasn't been exciting.

That makes less sense....so ye want a player that excites you because of his name and what he looks like? :confused:

If you know they will excite you playing, isn't that the point?

mormank wrote: »
    Haha, I have seen this on numerous occasions and can honestly say I've never really thought about it but now that I have thought about it I would just assume that they were headed to different places and not that 1 was "going the wrong way".

WTF is happening in this thread? Has it finally happend? Have i lost my mind?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,615 ✭✭✭atilladehun

-Ade- wrote: »
    Seems not given this mornings news.

Wouldn't hold it against him if he wanted to move on. Agger could play for any top European side and not look out of place whatsoever.

I'd sell Skirtel for a $1 if it means we could keep Agger. He makes so many players look better. Our worst part of the season was when he was injured.

I'd sell Skirtel for a $1 if it means we could keep Agger. He makes so many players look better. Our worst part of the season was when he was injured.

What, when Carra was playing? Is that not the correlation right there no? When Carra plays he makes everyone look poor?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Kind of suprised the Rodgers didn't start by jettisoning Carragher off the playing staff.

What, when Carra was playing? Is that not the correlation right there no? When Carra plays he makes everyone look poor?

Bingo! Nail und head.

If we had put Coates in for that spell alongside Skittles, I wonder if we'd have put in a better showing. Playing Carra was a retrograde step...

ush wrote: »
    Kind of suprised the Rodgers didn't start by jettisoning Carragher off the playing staff.

And have all the locals baying for blood? Never...

While he was at is, tell the media that he didn't care for the Beatles, and that Bob Paisley was a git...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

ush wrote: »

There's not a manager in the world who would have.

I suspect Carra will feature at least as much as he did last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Mr Alan wrote: »

I suspect Rodgers will move Coates firmly ahead of him in the pecking order tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Blatter wrote: »
    I suspect Rodgers will move Coates firmly ahead of him in the pecking order tbh.

Maybe as the season goes on, but I reckon when the season starts that Carragher will be the CB on the bench and Coates will be the one in the stands.

mormank wrote: »

Kind of missed the point there...they are all on the same side of the road?

I was suggesting that Mr Alan thinks one thing, and almost everyone else thinks something different, but he thinks we are all wrong and he's the only right one...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you don't just jettison Jamie Carragher, and it's a bit silly to think Rodgers was ever going to do that.

• Advertisement

I don't. Rodgers cannot on one hand say that Carroll is not a good enough passer to fit in, and then have Carra taking 8 seconds to pick a pass. Coates has been developed in a country where defenders see plenty of the ball are are expected to pass it, and run with it. He's MILES ahead of Carra on natural ability alone.

Blatter wrote: »

Certainly not for a while I wouldn't think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

Andy's coming home lads!

I don't. Rodgers cannot on one hand say that Carroll is not a good enough passer to fit in, and then have Carra taking 8 seconds to pick a pass. Coates has been developed in a country where defenders see plenty of the ball are are expected to pass it, and run with it. He's MILES ahead of Carra on natural ability alone.

Rodgers reasons for not wanting Carroll don't add up. Particularly when it looks increasingly likely Joe Cole has a future at the club. Shocking :(

Carra has been name checked by Rodgers since he got the job as an amazing player, someone he's looking forward to working with & someone who has a huge role to play for us next season.

If Rodgers wants Carroll out because he doesn't fit his system, then where does Carra fit in that system?

If Rodgers is consistant i would hope Carras playing days are restricted to Cameos....he was shown to be terrible last year and still got in the team, hopefully Rodgers is strong enough to bench him.

Rodgers reasons for not wanting Carroll don't add up.

Please explain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

If Rodgers wants Carroll out because he doesn't fit his system, then where does Carra fit in that system?

If Rodgers is consistant i would hope Carras playing days are restricted to Cameos....he was shown to be terrible last year and still got in the team, hopefully Rodgers is strong enough to bench him.

There's a huge difference between the skills your striker need and the skills your defender need, I thought that would be obvious.

Please explain.

See an article posted here yesterday.

See the fact he's not even met the player yet has said everyone will get a chance.

See his successful use of a similar, actually far inferior player in the same system in Danny Graham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think Carragher will be phased out slowly this season given it is the final year of his contract. I think if it were another CB with the exact same abilities/age etc as Carragher that was from London, then he would be starting the season as fourth choice. But Carragher, like it or not, does have a fair bit of influence thanks to the service he has given the club and also thanks to his contacts in the media.

Would be a very brave move by Rodgers if he tried to phase Carragher out straight away as he would need a very good start to his managerial career to avoid the backlash, and I would guarantee that a certain journo or two would be beating the drum through their pieces in the paper.

Would make more sense for Ridgers to use him as a sub at the start, and then push him down to 4th choice as the season went on.

• Advertisement

See an article posted here yesterday.

See the fact he's not even met the player yet has said everyone will get a chance.

See his successful use of a similar inferior player in the same system in Danny Graham.

So your basing his reasons on conjecture rather than facts or quotes.......gotcha.....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement