Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Kess73 wrote: »
    mike65 wrote: »
    Taking out friendlies, the Dutch team has lost 2 games under him I think. I suspect his Feyenoord stats are not quite as good.

Ahh that makes more sense alright if you are discounting friendlies. His record in competitive games since 2008 is impressive alright. Not one draw in a competitive game since 2008 as well.

He does seem to be able to get that team to switch on more for the competive games. In friendly games his team has lost only 3 games from 25 since 2008, but there are also 10 draws in there.

His Feyenoord stats are pretty good as well though, over his two spells as manager there (220 games) he has a win % of almost 62%. But his record in Germany as manager of Dortmund is not so impressive as he had them in midtable pretty much for all of his time there. Actually what his time at Dortmund (along with the shorter spells of Doll and Rober) does do is highlight just how much impact Klopp had at the club in terms of turning a midtable team into back to back title winners.

Didn't he lay a lot of the foundation for Klopp's side though? Their top players must have been very young when he was in charge

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I said this before in here,NEVER bet on a new manager market its just to easy to move the market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

I don't think I'll ever understand the betting market. Probably not a bad thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Dub13 wrote: »
    I said this before in here,NEVER bet on a new manager market its just to easy to move the market.

Never back anyone in the managers market. If you laid every favourite, especially odds on ones you'd win a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Didn't he lay a lot of the foundation for Klopp's side though? Their top players must have been very young when he was in charge

The likes of Hummels, Kagawa, Subotic, Bender,Lewandowski etc were all brought to the club by Klopp long after van Marwijk was gone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Seeing is believing :D

johnwhenryjurgenklopp.jpg

Can see the headline now:

JWH: "I'll get Kop's Top Choice Klopp After Quick Stop at Flip-Flop Shop"

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Morzadec wrote: »
    Looks like Sigurdsonn is set for a permanent move to Swansea for £7.2m

I know he was linked to us before, and to be honest I'm disappointed we haven't got him. At that price he looks a bargain especially when you looks at what we paid for an older Adam and Henderson

Said it before, I fully expect him to go for at least £20M if and when he leaves Swansea in the future. Cracking bit of business by Swansea.
    Would not be keen on him to be honest. I think his impressive stats with the Dutch national team paper over a lot of cracks in his close to 30 years as a manager.

That and his turgid style of football. Basically abandoned the Dutch philosophy of 433 attacking football which angered many people in Holland (still does to this day) despite them progressing as far as they did in 2010 for the more karate kick based, half a dozen bookings if needed approach of winning.

As for Klopp, tis laughable he's still being talked about. For my sanity, I'll avoid repeating myself :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Jim Boardman ‏@JimBoardman
    "@MesserBest: From Carragher's autobiography. Hmm. #lfc #Dalglish @Knox_Harrington @JimBoardman http://lockerz.com/s/212515394"

x2_caaba42

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

It's actually far harder to move the current Liverpool manager market than people are making out. Usually very little money exists within these markets but because the Liverpool one has been open for some time and has had such an odds on favourite that's not really the case now.

The market on Betfair has had £850k matched, 400k odd of that has been on Martinez. To move another manager into favourite would take quite a swing and a decent bit of money without any solid info in the public domain.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

opr wrote: »
    It's actually far harder to move the current Liverpool manager market than people are making out. Usually very little money exists within these markets but because the Liverpool one has been open for some time and has had such an odds on favourite that's not really the case now.

The market on Betfair has had £850k matched, 400k odd of that has been on Martinez. To move another manager into favourite would take quite a swing and a decent bit of money without any solid info in the public domain.

Opr

If you keep getting my hopes up I will hunt you down and skin you :pac:

• Advertisement

-Ade- wrote: »
    Said it before, I fully expect him to go for at least £20M if and when he leaves Swansea in the future. Cracking bit of business by Swansea.

That and his turgid style of football. Basically abandoned the Dutch philosophy of 433 attacking football which angered many people in Holland (still does to this day) despite them progressing as far as they did in 2010 for the more karate kick based, half a dozen bookings if needed approach of winning.

As for Klopp, tis laughable he's still being talked about. For my sanity, I'll avoid repeating myself :pac:

His style of football would be fine if it got him results everywhere he went, but the man just seems to be unable to adapt his team set up and seems to struggle badly when he is expected to mould a team that was not already given to him fully formed, or when he does not have a club that has the financial clout to be one of the top two or three spenders in that league.

I remember him at Dormund just trying the same tactics time after time and despite the fact it was not working you just knew that the following week, the following month and the following season he would just trot out the exact same tactics over and over and over.

Being a national team coach suits him imho, as he does not have the day to day stuff to deal with and he only has to get his players motivated for maybe 10 or so games a year rather than having to do so four or five times that amount. Plus it helps that the national team he manages has a hell of a lot of quality in depth which can compensate for average tactics.

He has a great record in competitive games and he deserves credit for being able to motivate his team when the games are competitive, but he defo has not show the same ability for large chunks of his career and he defo would not be the type of manager I would want to see arriving at a club like Liverpool where massive change and improvement is needed. I would see him as the type of manager that could help continue Liverpool's recent run of poor finishes in the league rather than him being a man who could stop the rot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

There's a programme on Joe Cole on ssn at 7.30 tonight entitled euro star

LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

LOL

Yeah I saw the trailer about it. Its something about his new career :D

joecoleeurostar.jpg

LOL

Just shows how willing the British media is to hype up an English player. The amount of people that believe that he has been tearing up the french league all season is scary and most of that will be based on the great reviews the british media have written about his time in Lille.

He has been decent for them and had a good start but of his 42 gam,es for Lille, 14 came from the bench, so that means he had 28 starts.

Now 28 starts sounds good, but then if you look at his stats for the season you will spot that he was subbed off in 22 of his 28 starts, and from about late January to the end of the season he did not manage to play a full 90 minutes even once. In fact he only managed to play 90 minutes 6 times in all comps over the course of the entire season.

I have even seen articles where Cole in France was being compared to Hazard in terms of anbility and influence. The same Eden Hazard who finished the season on 22 goals and 16 assists and who won player of the year again.

I just hope that Rudi Garcia was not just spoofing the British press when he said he wanted to keep Cole over there on a full time basis, because otherwise we get a huge wage earner that is nowhere near good enough for our first team back on our books again.

Maybe it won't be the usual crap about Cole being a top class player in 2012 though, and it will just turn out to be about him on a train.:)

I hope the media keep pimping Joe Cole as being class, it might make selling him a lot easier.

I hope the media keep pimping Joe Cole as being class, it might make selling him a lot easier.

Or it might persuade of new manager or owners to want him back :eek::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

From the Indo....

Swansea chairman Huw Jenkins has dismissed reports manager Brendan Rodgers will meet Liverpool's owners to talk about the vacancy at Anfield as "pure speculation".

Although Rodgers had previously stated his intention to remain with the Swans, having already turned down the chance to speak with Liverpool, it appears the Reds have not given up on the hope of talking to the Northern Irishman.

Reports have suggested the Reds are set to contact him this week but Jenkins told BBC Sport that was just "pure speculation".

Ten days ago Swansea released a statement confirming they had received an official approach from Liverpool to speak with Rodgers.

"The club is pleased to confirm that Brendan has declined the current opportunity to speak to the Anfield club about the vacant position," it said.

"The Swansea manager is currently working hard to strengthen the squad in readiness for the new Barclays Premier League campaign."

Wigan's Roberto Martinez is still seen as the front-runner, having held talks with Liverpool's principal owner John Henry in Miami last week.

The Spaniard is due back from a Caribbean holiday on Tuesday but despite his suggestion over the weekend he would hold a press conference at which he would outline his future plans, no such arrangements have yet been made.

In light of the latest speculation linking Liverpool with a move for Rodgers, Swansea issued a short statement insisting there had been no contact.

"We would like to clarify the speculation in the press surrounding our manager Brendan Rodgers," it said. "We would like to confirm that there has been no contact from Liverpool and nothing has changed since our previous statement on the issue."

Press Asso

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

i think joe cole deserves a lot of credit for upping sticks and moving to a new country to try kick start his career again..

plenty of others have rotted on bench/reserves picking up wages, at least he wanted to play for his wages..

fair play to him i say,its usually the foreign lads who sit back and get paid.

barone wrote: »
    i think joe cole deserves a lot of credit for upping sticks and moving to a new country to try kick start his career again..

plenty of others have rotted on bench/reserves picking up wages, at least he wanted to play for his wages..

Well he was not even getting bench time at Liverpool, and by moving to Lille he is actually closer to his home in London in terms of travel time, than he would be in Liverpool.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

I think it's only around 2 hours from London to Lille on the Eurostar

• Advertisement

Well he was not even getting bench time at Liverpool, and by moving to Lille he is actually closer to his home in London in terms of travel time, than he would be in Liverpool.

Indeed Lille was a great choice of club location wise for Joe Cole.
    Montpellier or Marseille would have been a balls of a commute

amiable wrote: »
    I think it's only around 2 hours from London to Lille on the Eurostar

usually around 90 minutes of a trip by train.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

I wasn't sure. I knew it was a handy little trip.
    I love the train in France :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭geeky

In fairness, whatever about the commute, it's a whole other country, a whole other league, a whole other footballing culture. Cole embraced it, and did well. Whatever else anyone thinks about him, he deserves some credit for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Going by the stats you posted earlier it would be doubtful that he could last the 90 minutes....he may be trapped in France.;)

geeky wrote: »
    In fairness, whatever about the commute, it's a whole other country, a whole other league, a whole other footballing culture. Cole embraced it, and did well. Whatever else anyone thinks about him, he deserves some credit for that.

I've lived in France. It's not that difficult a thing to do ;)

And I wasn't making 100k a week to do it

its still another country,and at least he went to play for his wages,which was my point.

geeky wrote: »

Pity he did not show the same level of eagerness to get his fitness right and do well in a league he was used to in the country he is from. As a person I have nothing to say about him tbh, but as a Liverpool player I see him as nowt more than a big waste of wages, wages that Liverpool are still paying the bulk of.

As for moving to a foreign country to work, and being willing to give that a shot. You're right that he deserves some credit for that, my beef with the guy is that I think he is a has been that is costing Liverpool millions per year in wages and is not good enough to really do anything for Liverpool on the pitch.

• Advertisement

its still another country,and at least he went to play for his wages,which was my point.

It's France not Tibet or Mali

True but a lot of English folk, like a lot of Irish in fact, seem to struggle to move from the part of the country they were brought up in, let alone go to other countries where they would have to learn different languages/cultures etc.

True but a lot of English folk, like a lot of Irish in fact, seem to struggle to move from the part of the country they were brought up in, let alone go to other countries where they would have to learn different languages/cultures etc.

We are the exception to the rule :)

We are the exception to the rule :)

We are goddamn marvels:D

i can tell you disagree with me, no need to jump on each post,hate joe cole do ya?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Pity he did not show the same level of eagerness to get his fitness right and do well in a league he was used to in the country he is from. As a person I have nothing to say about him tbh, but as a Liverpool player I see him as nowt more than a big waste of wages, wages that Liverpool are still paying the bulk of.

As for moving to a foreign country to work, and being willing to give that a shot. You're right that he deserves some credit for that, my beef with the guy is that I think he is a has been that is costing Liverpool millions per year in wages and is not good enough to really do anything for Liverpool on the pitch.

Shouldn't your beef be with whoever sanctioned the deal and not with Joe Cole himself?

9 goals and 4 assists in all competitions for Lille including a cup hat-trick is not impressive however. Really hope he doesn't come back.
    What's his wages? 100,000 a week?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Dave Whelan really can fúck off.

apparently he wants a decision by Thursday.

fúcking Bill Big Bollocks with his giant mouth again.

as long as it's a "no, you can keep Roberto", i don't care when he gets his answer to be perfectly honest.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Shouldn't your beef be with whoever sanctioned the deal and not with Joe Cole himself?

9 goals and 4 assists in all competitions for Lille including a cup hat-trick is not impressive however. Really hope he doesn't come back.
    What's his wages? 100,000 a week?

Oh it was a stupid deal all around. But if Cole actually looked like he was anyway fit or putting in a fair bit of effort when he was on the pitch for Liverpool then all my ire would have been towards those that wanted him signed and wanted to meet his crazy wage demands.

But seeing as all of those involved in bringing him to the club are gone, it only leaves me with Cole to be picky about :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

SlickRic wrote: »

as long as it's a "no, you can keep Roberto", i don't care when he gets his answer to be perfectly honest.

He really is a dose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

SlickRic wrote: »

yup.

I really liked this bit :rolleyes:...
    Dave:
    "
    If it is true that Liverpool want to speak with Brendan Rodgers it proves they don't know who they want as manager. "I hope they choose Brendan Rodgers."

Who really gives a damn what an attention seeker like Whelan wants. He is the guy that went running to the media about how he would never hire a foreign manager, and did his big spiel about how English managers should manage in the country that invented the game.

Then he went and hired that well known Yorkshire born manager, Bobbie Martins.

• Advertisement

i can tell you disagree with me, no need to jump on each post,hate joe cole do ya?

Jump down posts? I just gave an opinion. I don't hate Joe Cole. Plenty of people with much stronger opinions on him than me. Having lived in France I think it's positive thing to do rather than single a person out for praise for doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

im getting a bad feeling this will drag on through the euros.

sidenote. does anyone think that downing, carroll and (probably) henderson going to the euros and playing the majority of matches for england there could prove disastrous for liverpool?
    After their game against norway, the media and a lot of englsih fans are crying out for carrick to be in the team. instead, with barry now injured and parker struggling for fitness, downing, gerrard, henderson could all be playing in midfield, and up front carroll getting a few games before rooney comes back.
    The english team looks really, really poor, and if they are out of the running early in the group stages, the players (and hodgson) will be crucified. And to me, it seems the scapegoats, other than the manager, will be those 3 (Gerrard gets stick, but hes been getting stick from england fans for donkeys)

So after a summer of possibly getting hounded by their own fans and the media, what kind of shape would downing, carroll, and henderson be in going into next season?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

What's with the emphasis on interviewing candidates? It's not bloody hard to find out pretty much everything about a particular manager. What new things that could be so important are they hoping to find out at an interview? Is it so important for them to hear ''I have great ambitions for this club...blah blah blah''

Just make a list of the best guys for the job and start headhunting from the top of it, by actually offering them the job. It's not that hard.

Blatter wrote: »
    What's with the emphasis on interviewing candidates? It's not bloody hard to find out pretty much everything about a particular manager. What new things that could be so important are they hoping to find out at an interview? Is it so important for them to hear ''I have great ambitions for this club...blah blah blah''

Just make a list of the best guys for the job and start headhunting from the top of it, by actually offering them the job. It's not that hard.

Well if they'll be working with a DOF then it's important to know if they'll be happy with that, then it's important to know if there styles suit each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

How reliable is one "Ian Abraham" of talksport? Sorry if its been discussed already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

joe123 wrote: »
    How reliable is one "Ian Abraham" of talksport?p

A rare instance of the words 'Talksport' and 'reliable' in the same sentence

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

I don't think these are interviews in the sense that you or I would know them tbh. It's just the closest word for the process. I'd imagine it's more of both sides having a discussion around their vision for the club, providing some background information and a lot of asking and answering questions on both sides. In a much less structured way ( Not where do you see yourself in 5 years) than the types of interviews we'd all be used to.

On another note and related to something we were discussing briefly the other day, it looks like Hierro has left his position as DoF at Malaga. Could be nothing obviously, but also might be one to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,526 ✭✭✭joe123

retalivity wrote: »
    A rare instance of the words 'Talksport' and 'reliable' in the same sentence

Was thinking as much. For anyone that wants a gander..... http://twitter.com/#!/moose_talksport

But he stated that Klopp is to be annoucned as our next manager. :rolleyes:

Henderson is not part of the 23, nor will Kelly be. Downing might just do something this summer you never know.

that Moose fella is a total bellend, if I were his employer I'd just fire him.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement