Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

The bit about sole control with no DOF has been removed from the BBC report.

Opr

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

opr wrote: »

Opr

It did seem strange that Louis Van Gaal went from a shoe in to being out of the picture

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

amiable wrote: »
    They have put money in but not that much of their own in fairness

Whose money did they put in?

That_Guy wrote: »
    Whose money did they put in?

Do we really want to go there :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

To be fair they did pay off the vast majority of the clubs debt when the bought it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

So okay is good enough for Liverpool now?

You know what I meant. I think Segura has proved himself to be a very capable football man. Whether or not he could be our DOF remains to be seen. I still think it will be Segura/Van Gaal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Opr

Rollercoaster of emotions, this thread. I can't take it anymore. Think I'll bow out for a while and get some work done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

They did though....

I agree, hopefully the next people they release the purse strings for aren't comepletely clueless.

Do we really want to go there :D

I'm genuinely curious. :)

You know what I meant. I think Segura has proved himself to be a very capable football man. Whether or not he could be our DOF remains to be seen. I still think it will be Segura/Van Gaal

All indications are that Segura will be getting some sort of promotion alright.
    I'd imagine we shall know all by Friday unless there's any hiccups.
    Swansea seem to have dealt with this situation an awful lot better than Dave Whelan and Wigan

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I'm genuinely curious. :)

They bought the club and the assets (players)

So selling a player and spending the money is their money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Kenny had money.

let's not go there.

money-wise, FSG have put a great deal in.

they even made Kenny one of the top-paid coaches in the world, as well as letting him spend nearly £100m on players in 2 transfer windows (yes with £50m at least re-couped, but still).

Opr

damn right it fúcking has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

They cleared debt when buying the club, have improved commercial revenue streams, and oversaw the first net defecit spend in the transfer market for a couple of seasons. They've invested a decent amount, but they are now in the process of making a dreadful hiring decision and more investment is required on top of what has been spent so far.

All indications are that Segura will be getting some sort of promotion alright.
    I'd imagine we shall know all by Friday unless there's any hiccups.
    Swansea seem to have dealt with this situation an awful lot better than Dave Whelan and Wigan

Like that would have been difficult!

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Like that would have been difficult!

True. I do have a PHD in stating the obvious you know :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,545 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

With Rodgers now leaving Swansea apparently Guardiola is favourite for Swansea job!

murpho999 wrote: »
    With Rodgers now leaving Swansea apparently Guardiola is favourite for Swansea job!

Rafa

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

£4-5m compensation to get Rodgers.
    £0 to get Rafa.

Priceless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

This whole idea of a Director of Football is stupid to begin with. I mean what the fcuk does a DoF even do? Other than make the manager feel like he has someone looking over his shoulder.

Hire a manager and entrust him to make the decisions that he's well paid to make. End of. And make his role performance-based. e.g. if he totally fcuks up (based on agreed aims) he can't expect to walk away with a handy few million at the end of it. Surely that should be a no-brainer yet clubs never seem to put that in a manager's contract.

Spend a season dragging a club further down the table and then pocket a stack of cash at the end of it? Nice work if you can get it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

aidan24326 wrote: »
    This whole idea of a Director of Football is stupid to begin with. I mean what the fcuk does a DoF even do? Other than make the manager feel like he has someone looking over his shoulder.

I guess you should ask Ajax, Barca, Juve, Porto, Real Madrid and other European Giants, who all use a DOF, that.

G.K. wrote: »
    I guess you should ask Ajax, Barca, Juve, Porto, Real Madrid and other European Giants, who all use a DOF, that.

And Newcastle... Actually no... Don't ask us... *shudder*

http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11669/7786945/Kuyt-I-have-options
    Liverpool attacker Dirk Kuyt says he is wanted by teams in several countries after ruling out a return to former club Feyenoord this summer.

Kuyt has made over 280 appearances for Liverpool since moving from Feyenoord six years ago, but he started just 22 Premier League games this season.

He has just a year to run on his contract at Anfield and has been tipped to leave after already revealing Hamburg have shown an interest.

However, Kuyt also says clubs in Spain and Italy are on his trail as he considers his future during Liverpool's ongoing search for a new manager.

"There are many clubs who are interested," he told NUsport in Holland. "Not only from England, also from Germany, Spain and Italy."

Doubts

The 31-year-old, who will be part of the Netherlands' Euro 2012 challenge this summer, has confirmed he will not be heading back to Feyenoord following talks with his old club.

"I have had several conversations with Feyenoord but we were unable to agree," he added.

"I did not want on my conscience that Feyenoord would have financial problems because of my salary.

"There were too many doubts on both sides. I've thought about it, but it is not the time to return. "

£4-5m compensation to get Rodgers.
    £0 to get Rafa.

Priceless.

We're probably still paying off his payout !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Can we put an end to the Rafa shít please? The man hasnt even stated that he would want the job. The people posting it are being ridiculous, he is levels above what Liverpool are aiming for. We are not the force we were 4/5 years ago and won't be for a long time.

We are a mid-table side with 2 world class players in Pepe and Suarez, the sooner people realise all this the fúcking better for everyone. There is as much chance of us getting Rafa as there is of us getting Guardiola so just give over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

murpho999 wrote: »

I'm not sure whether this is a joke or not.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    We're probably still paying off his payout !

Makes no difference though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap
    Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.
    duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
    heard exactly the same > RT @TheAnfieldWrap Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.

A feeling of unease just washed over me.

Makes no difference though.

I know, I'm on your side with this one !!

Looks like a deal might be done now anyway, jaysus.

• Advertisement

THE ANFIELD WRAP ‏@TheAnfieldWrap
    Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.
    duncan jenkins ‏@duncanjenkinsFC
    heard exactly the same > RT @TheAnfieldWrap Brendan Rodgers, Three Year Deal, Done.

A feeling of unease just washed over me.

Awful

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I've just discovered it's possible to be underwhelmed and optimistic at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

aidan24326 wrote: »

Hire a manager and entrust him to make the decisions that he's well paid to make. End of. And make his role performance-based. e.g. if he totally fcuks up (based on agreed aims) he can't expect to walk away with a handy few million at the end of it. Surely that should be a no-brainer yet clubs never seem to put that in a manager's contract.

Spend a season dragging a club further down the table and then pocket a stack of cash at the end of it? Nice work if you can get it.

I think the answer to this has been covered below

Dr Galen wrote: »
    I'm seeing this sort of thing a lot, here, on other forums and in real life.

It's not as simple as this, and the idea that the Manager doesn't matter anymore is really not true at all.

People are holding Pep Guardiola up as the best manager since sliced bread, but Barca have had a DoF\Sporting Director for as long as I can remember, same with Jose at Madrid, where Zidane is Sporting Director. AvB got sacked by Chelsea, but again, they've had a DoF pretty much since Abra took over. Klopp at Dortmund....pretty much the same story, Ancelotti at PSG, he has Leonardo as his DoF. I could go on all night here tbh. The fact is that this isn't some sort of American thing, being foisted upon the club by our owners, it's been around for a long time, and although more or less copied from American sports, its not some sort of mad, alien concept. More than a few English clubs have this role as well.

The example of Fergie and Wenger is given as an argument against having a DoF/Sporting Director/Insert Job Title Here at a club. Really you could be arguing here that because of the time they have spent at their respective clubs, their roles have evolved into a sort of DoF anyway. Many Utd fans are complaining that the lack of a strong assistant manager ( Phelan doesn't seem to be a favourite) for Ferguson is a reason that they have "struggled" lately, and they look back wistfully at Kidd and Quieroz. Wenger has had Pat Rice as his assistant for donkeys, just retired with 40 odd years on his CV there. This allows both men to perform many of the roles of a traditional DoF.

Like it or not, a club like Liverpool (or any other top tier club) is a multi million euro business, as well as being something that we as fans hold dear. If I ran a business of that size away from sports, would I trust one of the biggest aspects of that to just one person? No chance tbh. The load would be spread among a team, with various responsibilities given to each person.

Awful

Arsenal fan in work just punched the air in delight at the news .

Pretty much says it all .

Leiva wrote: »
    Awful

Can you blame him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

I'll give Rodgers my full support if he's made manager, but i'd put my house on us looking for a manager again this time next year.

His first job is going to be keeping Suarez, Lucas, Skyrtel, Renia and Agger at the club.

• Advertisement

Should have gone for someone foreign, they are class.
    tut tut.

Anyhow, I shall afford him the benefit of the doubt, good luck Mr Rodgers.

fredrogersbig.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

What, that he's a bell end?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Dave Whelan did say he needed an answer by Thursday

19848134.jpg

@BBCSport on Twitter
    Brendan Rodgers has signed a three-year contract to become the new manager of Liverpool Football Club, confirms @BenSmithBBC #lfc

• Advertisement

IAN AYRE YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHÍT !

What, that he's a bell end?

LOL :pac:

Tell him the LFC superthread posters at boards.ie said he's a bellend.

Punch that !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Underwhelming to say the least. Can't believe we have ended up with a manager who less than 5% of supporters wanted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Nothing on the official website yet.

ITS ALL A SMOKESCREEN!!

:(

givemeaminute-im-thinking.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

donfers wrote: »
    I see the latest spin is going to be that martinez turned us down

not sure if i believe that, i'd say that after two meetings and no job offer coming his way and with all the noise around rodgers he is merely trying to save face by saying he contacted us to say he is not prepared to work under the new management structure.

Do you honestly think Dave Whelan would be able to keep his mouth shut if that was the case? not a fu*king chance.

I don't think we've heard the last of Martinez.

IAN AYRE YOU ARE SO FULL OF SHÍT !

I'm with you but how so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

On the plus side 3 year contracts only last about a year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

He has my support if true, interesting times ahead

Gbear wrote: »
    Nothing on the official website yet.

ITS ALL A SMOKESCREEN!!

:(
    Nope . Ben Smith (BBC) is on 5live in a sec to confirm .

Its done .

We are set back .

hope everyone gets behind him and those that wanted Kenny gone are man enough to admit it when Anfield is half full and the owners move him on

really hope I am so wrong but .

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement