Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Our first Irish manager since 1896

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Should have gone for someone foreign, they are class. tut tut.

Anyhow, I shall afford him the benefit of the doubt, good luck Mr Rodgers.

fredrogersbig.jpg

Last time I checked Rodgers was from a different country . :p

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

****ing delighted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Someone updated his wiki page pretty quickly. :D

Turtyturd wrote: »
    On the plus side 3 year contracts only last about a year.

Seems to be the way we roll.

We'll employ you for a year and pay you 2 years compo.

Then we'll pay compo to get another manager.

Repeat until bankrupt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Leiva wrote: »
    Nope . Ben Smith (BBC) is on 5live in a sec to confirm .

Its done .

We are set back .

hope everyone gets behind him and those that wanted Kenny gone are man enough to admit it when Anfield is half full and the owners move him on

really hope I am so wrong but .

Wanting Kenny gone has absolutely nothing to do with this appointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

Nope . Ben Smith (BBC) is on 5live in a sec to confirm .

Its done .

We are set back .

hope everyone gets behind him and those that wanted Kenny gone are man enough to admit it when Anfield is half full and the owners move him on

really hope I am so wrong but .

Gone on then, amaze us with who you think should have gotten the job. Rafa or keep kenny?

Are you forgetting the turgid rubbish we had to endure last season?

I say give rodgers a chance, he cant be any worse than whats gone before him

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

I think a good decision has been made today, but we'll have to wait and see, anyone who wants to spout that is a failure of decision already gives their own opinion too much credit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Arsenal fan in work just punched the air in delight at the news .

Pretty much says it all .

Yea because every rival fan was delighted Kenny was sacked because he was doing so well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18235961
    Brendan Rodgers has agreed a deal to become the new manager of Liverpool Football Club.

The 39-year-old is understood to have signed a three-year contract at Anfield and his appointment is likely to be officially confirmed within 24 hours.

Liverpool will pay Swansea City between £4m and £5m in compensation to secure the Northern Irishman's services.

Liverpool sacked former manager Kenny Dalglish on 16 May after finishing eighth in the Premier League.

The Reds were 17 points away from a Champions League qualification spot, but won the League Cup and reached the FA Cup final.

In contrast, Rodgers guided his Swansea side to an impressive first season in the top flight, including a 1-0 win over Liverpool on the final day of the season.

After parting ways with Dalglish, Liverpool embarked on an extensive search for a new manager.

The Reds were linked not only with Rodgers and Wigan manager Roberto Martinez but also former Chelsea boss Andre Villas-Boas, ex-England coach Fabio Capello, and Ajax manager Frank de Boer.

The Northern Irishman declined the opportunity to speak to Liverpool about the vacancy 12 days ago, and instead the club's hierarchy sought a meeting with Wigan's Martinez.

But it appears Rodgers was always the preferred candidate, despite Wigan chairman Dave Whelan at one point suggesting his manager had been offered the job at Anfield.

Rodgers's managerial career began at Watford in 2008 after coaching spells at Reading and Chelsea.

There followed an unhappy period in charge of Reading but, after his appointment as Swansea boss in July 2010, Rodgers guided his Welsh side to promotion to the top flight in May 2011, making Swansea the first Welsh team to reach the Premier League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭Hannibal

Kess73 wrote: »
    Last time I checked Rodgers was from a different country . :p
    He's from Antrim which last I checked was in Ireland.

He's still only 39, hopefully we can hijack Sigurdsson now aswell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Brendan Rodgers is now officially the new manager. Wishing him the best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

Melion wrote: »
    ****ing delighted

with all thats gone on my sarcasm detector has stopped working.... so I'm not sure if thats genuine delight

From Ballbags twitter feed
    Brendan is a top guy, his concepts are very solid.

Relegation scrap so (I'm setting the bar low already!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

I am going to Liverpool on friday, if there is no DOF in place by then I am going to riot!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Manager - Brendan Rodgers
    Director of football - Louis Van Gaal
    Technical Director - Pep Segura

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭BERBA

Brendan Rodgers is now officially the new manager. Wishing him the best of luck.

I bet lots of boardies in here wished it was Buck Rodgers instead of Brendan me thinks?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,652 ✭✭✭I am pie

Welcome to Liverpool FC Mr Rogers. YNWA.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I had kind of expected the DOF to be announced prior to the manager.
    Kess73 wrote: »
    Someone updated his wiki page pretty quickly. :D

Or prematurely, someone posted yesterday or the day before that it had been edited.
    I'm still going to be trying to convince google that it's Rafa. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

welcome to the greatest club in the world mr rodgers now let the good time roll:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

You're a good poster on this forum imo but talking about backing a manager before painting a bleak picture of the future under said manager is a bit ridiculous imo

If we're to get behind him, get behind him and leave out all the bullshít until we actually have something worth bítching about re: Brendan Rodgers.

This already smacks of the Hodgson appointment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

****ing delighted

lol, you also have the big big brave face

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Sky reporting that the meeting is over and now he's meeting with the Swansea chariman. Nothing concrete yet but the BBC is saying its a done deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,358 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

on the plus side...

see ya Downing; there'll be no need for crossing anymore.

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Sky reporting that the meeting is over and now he's meeting with the Swansea chariman. Nothing concrete yet but the BBC is saying its a done deal.

Available at 1.01 on Betfair for the brave. Perhaps should lay it for the craic. lol.

SlickRic wrote: »
    on the plus side...

on the downside, we'll only get a fiver for him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

slingerz wrote: »

Are you forgetting the turgid rubbish we had to endure last season?

I beg to differ .

I watched some of the best football in years last season been played under Kenny - even with some of the crap we have in the squad .

We threw out the baby with the bath water when we got rid of Kenny.
    Another couple of additions in key areas and another hair cut to the squad and we would have been setup nicely for next season.

Yes I can understand why people wanted him out (majority being the younger generation) and things looked bad come the last six games, but some of those players really need to take a hard look at themselves . to which I reply, that we could easily find ourselves in a relegation battle if Rogers cant hit the ground running, and the players don't respond to him. Cause if the wouldn't do it for Kenny then why would they do it for Rogers ??

I am going to say it is unlikely that we will sign this Sig guy, would look a bit dodgey, cries of foul play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

SlickRic wrote: »
    on the plus side...

That will definitely be one benefit to getting Rodgers in. Our overall crossing must have been one of the worst out of all teams last season.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

Don't be so petty, other people are entitled to their opinion without derision, I think you're wrong, normally I want a Liverpool manager to succeed because I love the club but you have made me want Rodgers to triumph so I can whip out my e-peen in the way you have been and waggle it all up in your face.

PaulieC wrote: »

You're a good poster on this forum imo but talking about backing a manager before painting a bleak picture of the future under said manager is a bit ridiculous imo

If we're to get behind him, get behind him and leave out all the bullshít until we actually have something worth bítching about re: Brendan Rodgers.

This already smacks of the Hodgson appointment.

Rodgers IS Hodgson 2.0, i.e. a downgrade on his predecessor

• Advertisement

I genuinely am pleased. Plays a good style of football, is a good man and a hard worker who understands the game very well. He is sincere and won't duck anything.

Not the big time charlie that some of daydreamers on here believed we needed.

Get the team playing an intelligent passing games, pressing the opponenent when we don't have the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Its still a smokescreen....wait for it..... :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

FFS :(

Pure nonsense, there is literally no similarity between Rodgers and Hodgson, the fact you think they are similar actually means that everybody can now completely disregard anything at all that you say henceforth.

Such nonsense it's unbelievable.

mayordenis wrote: »

Don't be so petty, other people are entitled to their opinion without derision, I think you're wrong, normally I want a Liverpool manager to succeed because I love the club but you have made me want Rodgers to triumph so I can whip out my e-peen in the way you have been and waggle it all up in your face.

I genuinely hope you get such an opportunity...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Devilman40k

I want him to succeed, I really do...the problem is I don't see it happening and 12 months down the line we end up looking again at the structure within the club, and we're all back here looking at the next flavour of the month manager :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So the type of football they play, their records as managers and their overall football philosophy are irrelevant?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

At least he will look intimidating on the sideline.

sharktale-1.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I am pie wrote: »
    Get the team playing an intelligent passing games, pressing the opponenent when we don't have the ball.

Wow....dynamite stuff and seems so simple.......press the opponent you say? revolutionary....it'll change the way we play forever and ever. Thank you MrRodgers and FSG....keep this wonderful secret to yourselves etc etc etc :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I beg to differ .

I watched some of the best football in years last season been played under Kenny - even with some of the crap we have in the squad .

We threw out the baby with the bath water when we got rid of Kenny.
    Another couple of additions in key areas and another hair cut to the squad and we would have been setup nicely for next season.

Yes I can understand why people wanted him out (majority being the younger generation) and things looked bad come the last six games, but some of those players really need to take a hard look at themselves . to which I reply, that we could easily find ourselves in a relegation battle if Rogers cant hit the ground running, and the players don't respond to him. Cause if the wouldn't do it for Kenny then why would they do it for Rogers ??

Ive bolded the main problem above. If that was some of the best football then what went before under RH, RB must have been terrible stuff altogether. KK antics in the media were embarassing including his approach to interviews and press conferences before the Suarez affair is even considered.

i will agree that the players need a long hard look at themselves however. I would expect/hope that Rodgers will bring in a style and player to make liverpool both attractive to watch and challenging at the same time. All the best teams can play the ball which Liverpool have been lacking since Roy Evans time. Even with Benitez, it was all about hard work, endeavour and organisation rather than flair and invention.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

****ing delighted

I don't understand

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,790 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Pure nonsense, there is literally no similarity between Rodgers and Hodgson, the fact you think they are similar actually means that everybody can now completely disregard anything at all that you say henceforth.

Correct. Hodgson was a journeyman manager who never really achieved anything in a long career. He took a club that was on a solid footing and nearly ran it into the ground.

I have to baby step you through this:

Two years ago Hodgson was inferior to Benitez
    Today Rodgers is inferior to Dalglish

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

One last time.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I have to baby step you through this:

Two years ago Hodgson was inferior to Benitez
    Today Rodgers is inferior to Dalglish

Which is where people disagree. I, for one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,224 ✭✭✭barone

looks like its rogers so im gonna get over the fact that it wasnt rafa, and wish him the best..

i hope to **** he shuts us all up and makes us look idiots by slating him.

i really do.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Wow....dynamite stuff and seems so simple.......press the opponent you say? revolutionary....it'll change the way we play forever and ever. Thank you MrRodgers and FSG....keep this wonderful secret to yourselves etc etc etc :rolleyes:

Wow indeed. Somehow you've managed to construe some simple aspirations regarding a style of play into his first team talk or something equally moronic.

Well done you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ok, first things first. His name is Brendan Rodgers, not 'Rogers'

We don't want another one of these Adam/ Adams debacles

I'm waiting for this to appear on the official website..

ashton-kutcher-2785299941-0.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement