Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Turk Kuyt!! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Kess73 wrote: »
    He excels as a CAM or a playmaker. He is good on either wing, but it would be a waste to buy him to use him as a winger. A lot of people see him as being a brilliant player in the style of an old fashioned number ten, but I think he would do very very well in exactly the role you suggested as in the Modric style role in a slightly advanced CM position.

He is an attacking player but he has more bite to his play than Modric, and although he has played on the wing, as a CAM, as a CM/AM, it does get forgotten that he actually started out as a DM and he does have the same excellent reading of the game that many of the better DMs have. I am not for a minute suggesting that he be used as a DM though, but I do think he has that ability to see a pass and intercept it.

We could buy him and play him in the role that Sigurdsson plays in, and I would say that we got a far superior player, and that is coming from someone who really rates Sigurdsson. We could buy him and play him as a playmaker/AM and I would say that we had gotten a player who is far better than anyone we have in the squad and that would be including Aquilani who I rate.

Hell if we put him on the wing right now, either wing, I would be saying he was the best winger at the club because he is better than our current options.

The only attacking positions that he would not be the best in if he was at Liverpool right now would be the wing forward role as Suarez is easily the best player in our squad capable of player that rolem and the striker role as again Suarez would be the best we have available at present for that role.

As for how good he is, well the only player that was a bit better than him this year in France was Hazard, and Hazard had a brilliant season. Go on youtube and have a look at the videos of him, then let it sink in that the guy has been playing like that for the whole season and not just enough times to make up a highlight reel.

If he moves this summer for a medium sized fee, then we can forget about him in the future unless we are prepared to pay huge money. Funnily enough I feel the same way about Sigurdsson as I think the £7m he will cost this summer will pale beside the two or three times that fee he will be worth in a seaon or two.

Some cracking "bargains" available this summer, I just hope we are in for a few of them.

Would you think something like this would work? Or would Belhandra be better off in one of the CM roles?

=========Lucas==========
    ===Gerrard=====Siggurdson==
    =======================
    =Suarez===Carroll===Belhandra

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Still doesnt make much sense, 32 is nothing these days, and it was only the the previous season he matched his personal best at pool with 15 goals, 13 in the league

It makes lots of sense. 90k a week for a squad player is stupid money. Not only that but his style of play doesn't suit Rodgers at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

It makes lots of sense. 90k a week for a squad player is stupid money. Not only that but his style of play doesn't suit Rodgers at all.

How do you know his "style" and what formation \tactics he is going to play already? :eek:

=========Lucas==========
    =======================

The fact we could potentially field that team by spending around £20m and still have Aquilani & Henderson to come in & out as needed sums up for me how we aren't near as far off as certain people like to claim we are.

How do you know his "style" and what formation \tactics he is going to play already? :eek:

lol, I know his style from watching his play for the last 6 years. :confused: You should try it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Leiva wrote: »
    But that terrible first touch is concerning .

Possession football is hard work with certain skill sets on every position.
    If we had someone like Carroll at the spear head of that you could see a lot of hard work fizzle out in the final third.

But in saying that Cavani does it well for Suarez at Int level but again he (Cavani) is a superior player than Carroll.

Carroll's first touch isn't that bad.

It his movement and positioning that could be a problem.

He needs to play on the shoulder of the last man a bit more and pick up better positions in the box.

Rodgers may be able to rectify this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

lol, I know his style from watching his play for the last 6 years. :confused: You should try it.

Yep, I get that!
    But who's to say he has the players to play the same way or that he wont completely change it or tweak it at Pool?

All pool managers try and pass it around, rather than the stoke way and try and attack rather than defend.

Good managers adapt to what they have and what their squads are capable of.

could be 4-3-3 or anything!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭Samich

He has vowed to let Sigurdsson talk to the new Swansea boss first - after agreeing with chairman Huw Jenkins not to poach any of his former players for 12 months - but said he would make a move for the Iceland international should any talks break down.

So Rodgers talks about how he won't poach any Swansea players for 12 months yet comes out with this.
    "If he comes on the market I have to be interested. He knows that I rate his qualities and abilities.
    "I said to Huw: 'If I speak to the kid I'll tell him to speak to the new manager, whoever that is'.
    "But if he's not comfortable with that, he's in the market place then - and I have to look at him."

This is a complete underhanded­ way of getting around his "Gentlemans­ agreement" not to poach. Why didn't he just­ keep his trap shut then??? Not such a saint as he is­ being portayed.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Yep, I get that!
    But who's to say he has the players to play the same way or that he wont completely change it or tweak it at Pool?

All pool managers try and pass it around, rather than the stoke way and try and attack rather than defend.

I'd say it was only the absence of first team guarantee that made him leave, nothing to do with the style of play. I'm assuming this was in the works regardless of manager change.

I kind of think we need 2 to 3 midfielders.

A) backup for Lucas is a must

B) Creative player who can sit behind the play (this is not Sigurdsson, and it is not Aquilani imo) Shelvey is our closest but I think he is a season away.

C) I don't necessarily think AM is a priority, Sigurdsson is absurdly good value and can't be turned down.

Maybe we can find one player who can fulfill A) and B)?

Adam out, also

Imagine trying to explain tika-taka to Adam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

He's not up to it anymore simple as that, we know more about the player than you do and nearly everyone is in agreement its the best time for him to move on. Selling an old player on big wages is hardly a mad idea is it.

Yep, I get that!

Tactics don't really matter. If the style of player Rodgers wants is a passing one then Kuyt doesn't excel at that. If you have player who is getting nearly £5m per year, won't play very often, won't do brilliantly in a certain system then selling him makes perfect sense. It's been on the cards for long before Rodgers came along anyway.

Samich wrote: »
    So Rodgers talks about how he won't poach any Swansea players for 12 months yet comes out with this.

This is a complete underhanded­ way of getting around his "Gentlemans­ agreement" not to poach. Why didn't he just­ keep his trap shut then??? Not such a saint as he is­ being portayed.

Sigurdsson isn't a Swansea player. Unlucky!!

• Advertisement

And so it starts. Didn't take long. WP on being the first.

Morzadec wrote: »
    Very excited at the prospect of Sigurdsonn.

As someone stated, clever by Rodgers - he's not outright scuppering the deal, giving Swansea every chance to complete the deal without directly sticking his ore in, but he's letting the player know in no uncertain terms that he wants to bring him to Liverpool should the deal happen to break down.

You would have to expect that Sigurdsonn will jump at the chance of linking up with Rodgers and joining LFC.

We'll probably get some bad press for this, and no doubt some fans from other clubs will get up on their high horses (probably without testing the firmness of their own moral high ground first) and claim that the behaviour is terrible from Rodgers/Liverpool, but I couldn't care less really.

If we get him we are finally getting a goal-scoring midfielder capable of covering/rotating with Gerrard who will probably miss a lot of the season, at a very good price.

Well played Morzadec.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aw damn, huge fan of kuyts! What a pro, will always remeber him.I'm sure hell retire a happy player played in 2 of the biggest finals in football.

A few players have went to turkey now havent they?
    Ynwa.

Also phew was gonna get kuyt on the new shirt when I pre ordered it, just aswell I didn't

============Reina=============
    Johnson==Skrtel====Agger==Enrique=
    =============================
    ============Lucas=============
    =====Gerrard========Siggurdson===
    =Suarez======Carroll=====Belhandra=

That would leave a bench something like;

Kelly
    Coates
    Carragher
    New LB
    Henderson
    Aquilani
    Adam
    Spearing
    Downing
    Maxi
    Bellamy

Upgrade on a couple of them & I'd be happy out.

G.K. wrote: »
    Between Sig (I reckon he's as good as signed, frankly), Aqua and Gerrard I think the AM position would be sorted. You could always bring in Adorjan/Shelvey/Suso/Teixera for a game.

For B), Clasie is definitely the type of player for this spot. Henderson would do alright as backup for this spot (And Aqua at a push).

A) is harder. I can't think of too many who'd be content without a starting role. It would have been so much easier if you'd been allowed to buy Britton. Combining A) and B) is definitely something that should be considered. Adam Maher?

Players like Shelvey, Flanagan and Robinson could do with a year loan at another PL club.

It did wonders for players like Sturridge and Welbeck.

• Advertisement

Sure any criticism of ye'r team and it's just trolling. Ah well Liverpool won't be threatening anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

But Sigurdsson hasn't signed for Swansea so how is he poaching? He's already doing Swansea a massive favour by not tabling an official bid for him and letting them try to come to an agreement with him first. He can't be any fairer than that.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Sigurdsson isn't a Swansea player. Unlucky!!

Transfer is agreed, wages agreed.

Sure any criticism of ye'r team and it's just trolling. Ah well Liverpool won't be threatening anyways.

Well that's that then!!

Who mentioned trolling?....although I am pretty sure that last part was an attempt at trolling.

Sigurdsson isn't a Swansea player! Unlucky!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mr Alan wrote: »
    Would you think something like this would work? Or would Belhandra be better off in one of the CM roles?

=========Lucas==========
    =======================

I think you would be wasting Belhanda in that role. The guy is a very good playmaker and needs to be where he can pull strings as well as be able to attack from.

Out wide limits him to being a threat on one side of the pitch whereas in a more central role, be that a CAM or the AM/CM slot, he can drift to either flank as well as attack through the centre. He has the pace and dribbling skills to allow him to be the actual attacking threat as well as the playmaking/passing skills that allow him to create/organise the attacks.

If I had to use your formation with one CM/DM sitting behind two CM/AM types in midfield, then I would be dropping Belhanda back to one of the AM slots and looking to bring in either a quality wide forward or a traditional winger who looks like he can play as a wide forward (which Hoilett looks) for the wide slot.

I would also look to bring in a mobile finisher to play between Suarez and the other wide forward, and I would look for a mobile finisher so that he could uinterchange with at least one of the wide forwards without their being a loss of mobility or speed across the front three whilst they are swapping roles during games.

That happens all the time. When Keane signed for Utd, he had already agreed to sign for Blackburn until Ferguson hijacked it. Stop acting like a child.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

============Reina=============
    Johnson==Skrtel====Agger==Enrique=
    ============Lucas=============
    =====Gerrard========Siggurdson===
    =Suarez======Carroll=====Belhandra=

That would leave a bench something like;

Kelly
    Coates
    Carragher
    New LB
    Henderson
    Aquilani
    Adam
    Spearing
    Downing
    Maxi
    Bellamy

Upgrade on a couple of them & I'd be happy out.

A potential new LB isn't something i had really been considering over the past few months but i'm not sure Rodgers will take to Enrique. He's not great on the ball and seems to need a lot of time to fully control it. Its probably not a priority though when you look at the couple of other positions for which we are crying out for new signings.

A potential new LB isn't something i had really been considering over the past few months but i'm not sure Rodgers will take to Enrique. He's not great on the ball and seems to need a lot of time to fully control it. Its probably not a priority though when you look at the couple of other positions for which we are crying out for new signings.

Enrique is the only LB at the club now isn't he?

Regardless of whether Rodgers takes to Enrique, we need to sign a new one as back up.

• Advertisement

Cahill out of euros Martin Kelly In, jaysus well be well represented anyways :D

Cahill out of euros Martin Kelly In, jaysus well be well represented anyways :D

Ahead of Richards?:eek:

What ssn are reporting anyways.

Que influx of haters..:D

Turtyturd wrote: »

Yeah, Kelly was in the list of standby players. The whole Richards thing is bizarre. Capello completely ignored him as well.

There's more Liverpool players in the England squad than any other club. We should start a competition to guess how many times England will hit the woodwork in this tournament!

Turtyturd wrote: »

Carrick and Richards had already ruled themselves out, so that's why Kelly and Henderson are in.

The good part is that neither of them will now be in the olympic squad which is more intrusive on our season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

Robinson should be playing back up left back if we don't send him on loan. He's pretty much the best prospect at the club behind Sterling.

Opr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭Glico Man

What has he signed? Do you understand the terms of a transfer? Contract has to be signed before its completed. Therefore, he's still a Hoffenheim player

opr wrote: »
    Robinson should be playing back up left back if we don't send him on loan. He's pretty much the best prospect at the club behind Sterling.

Opr

I'm not massively keen on playing that card.

An injury to Enrique & he's the only established LB at the club. That pressure could potentially ruin him, look at Insua.

What ssn are reporting anyways.

Que influx of haters..:D

It's already started. See the squad thread.
    5starpool wrote: »
    Carrick and Richards had already ruled themselves out, so that's why Kelly and Henderson are in.

The good part is that neither of them will now be in the olympic squad which is more intrusive on our season.

Didn't know Richards had withdrawn himself, was beginning to think Roy was some kind of racist.:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭Phoenix Park

Enrique is the only LB at the club now isn't he?

Regardless of whether Rodgers takes to Enrique, we need to sign a new one as back up.

I suppose when we're stuck Glen Johnson can always play there. He seems to do ok on the left anyway.

I don't think Kelly will get much of a look in at RB if Glen Johnson is fit this season. He doesn't look as comfortable on the ball. Johnson is a very handy squad member, think he'll do well under Rodgers and if fit he'll be a cert to start.

5starpool wrote: »

I don't think Richards had ruled himself out at all, I think it was Hodgson sparing him the indignity of being called up to the standby list.

He really has made a balls of his selection. What an awful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

opr wrote: »

Opr

I'm not massively keen on playing that card.

An injury to Enrique & he's the only established LB at the club. That pressure could potentially ruin him, look at Insua.

We have Johnson and Agger as emergency cover

• Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

Dunno if this broke in here yet but Cahill is out of the Englad squad...

His replacement is our very own, young Murt Kelly

Tis hardly ideal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Tis hardly ideal.

It's perfect imo.

Robinson is good enough to be backup, but if Enrique is injured then Johnson becomes first choice LB and Kelly moves to RB with Flanagan as cover

• Advertisement

For anyone who wants a laugh, check out the op in the Kuyt Out thread!! :D

It's perfect imo.

Robinson is good enough to be backup, but if Enrique is injured then Johnson becomes first choice LB and Kelly moves to RB with Flanagan as cover

It was going so well until there, I like Kelly and think he has a future at the club....Flanagan not so much.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    What has he signed? Do you understand the terms of a transfer? Contract has to be signed before its completed. Therefore, he's still a Hoffenheim player

If my club had agreed a fee and agreed wages and the only thing a player had to do was sign on the dotted line and then signed for someone else I'd think he was snatched.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

monkey9 wrote: »
    For anyone who wants a laugh, check out the op in the Kuyt Out thread!! :D

jNFqw.gif

I just don't get some people

If my club had agreed a fee and agreed wages and the only thing a player had to do was sign on the dotted line and then signed for someone else I'd think he was snatched.

Sigurdsson had agreed personal terms with Swansea? You sure about that now?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement