Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

john47832 wrote: »
    Youth team product, ballon dor winner, trebble winner, better that 1/2 strike rate v's what?

Vs heroism!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

monkey9 wrote: »
    Vs heroism!!!!!

The sentiment of the day seems to have gotten to you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Youth team product, ballon dor winner, trebble winner, better that 1/2 strike rate v's what?

You can try to argue it and quantify it but you will fail.
    That's not how being a leg-end works.

In relation to the points you made:
    Youth team product

I don't care that Michael was a youth team product.
    Nor did Dirk being from the Netherlands take away from his potential to be a legend in my eyes, not one iota. Or any other player from where imo, that's the beauty of it.

,ballon dor winner, trebble winner, better that 1/2 strike rate v's what?

You don't get how it works. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Vs.

dirk-kuyt-as-superman-liverpool-fc-7737400-330-536.jpg

Very good AC - maybe we should sign Billy Connolly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I like Kuyt far more than I like Owen.

It's the old Whelan debate, isn't it.

But if we could have Owen at his best or Kuyt at his best we would surely all take Owen, even if he's not as easy to take to.

The two goals in the 2001 FA Cup final are some of the happiest memories of my football life. If I think of the greatest Liverpool players that I really remember seeing, then it's Owen, Fowler, McManaman, Gerrard, Hyypia, Carragher, Torres and Alonso. Some way ahead of the rest imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

Very good AC - maybe we should sign Billy Connolly

Listen I dont get Quantum Physics and you dont get what it takes to become an lfc legend........

Its cool bro people just dont get certain things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

Might be worth a punt, free transfer, pay as you play

69, still a few years left in him.

Good for the dressing room.

Scottish?

jebidiah wrote: »
    Might be worth a punt, free transfer, pay as you play

69, still a few years left in him.

Good for the dressing room.

Scottish?

And flagged for legend on Boards by AC...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Whatever chance Owen had on being considered a legend went arse out window when he joined United, far superior to Dirk in his prime but thats not the point. Don't think Dirk will be considered a legend in years to come but he'll be remembered fondly. Top bloke.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Is Gylfi Sigurdsson the new Charlie Adam?
    Has one good season, scores plenty of goals, moves to Liverpool and ...
    surely he wouldn't be as sh*t as Adam has been, would he?

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I don't think anyone is disputing that Owen at his best > Kuyt at his best, but that's not the discussion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Vanolder

Hoilett off to gladbach it seems... Kess will be gutted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

How many times do I have to explain that Swansea =/= Blackpool?

For a start, Swansea was not built around Sig. That Blackpool team was built entirely around Adam - to emphasise his strengths (Long passing, set plays which he did well with there) and hide his general ineptitude in other areas.

Whatever chance Owen had on being considered a legend went arse out window when he joined United, far superior to Dirk in his prime but thats not the point. Don't think Dirk will be considered a legend in years to come but he'll be remembered fondly. Top bloke.

Yes, Owen - Judas = Legend
    Believe me, I've been banned 3 times for posting on United threads and there is no bigger abu. However in years to come maybe moving fromPool to United, or vice versa will become acceptable, maybe even part of the norm. At this point then there will be no tag of Judas and legendary status will be there for all to see.

In the case of Kuyt - no matter what happens in the future he will still be mentioned along side names such as Ronnie Rosenthal and the like.

Michael Owen will never be considered a legend of the club!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,398 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes, Owen - Judas = Legend
    Believe me, I've been banned 3 times for posting on United threads and there is no bigger abu. However in years to come maybe moving fromPool to United, or vice versa will become acceptable, maybe even part of the norm. At this point then there will be no tag of Judas and legendary status will be there for all to see.

In the case of Kuyt - no matter what happens in the future he will still be mentioned along side names such as Ronnie Rosenthal and the like.

Any chance you could pop into the United thread and go for four?...I've faith in you.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Any chance you could pop into the United thread and go for four?...I've faith in you.

Actually just finished one month today - surprised I even lasted this long on a Kuyt thread topic, however I feel I have made my point. :D

btw - one month was for overindulging in man u shortcomings at time of great distress for said supporters - nobodys perfect !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Aue5EcFCMAAjxRS.jpg:large

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Owen is a legend for you, u got the best years out of him

• Advertisement

Get behind the lads.

Aue2xJFCEAApg1w.jpg:large

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

He's really not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,836 ✭✭✭Sir Gallagher

Get behind the lads.

Aue2xJFCEAApg1w.jpg:large

Had to laugh at the lads in the England thread having a canary because Kelly was called up to the England squad. Such a bizarre thread, load of lads crying into their handbags over players getting called up to a team they don't support.

Had to laugh at the lads in the England thread having a canary because Kelly was called up to the England squad. Such a bizarre thread, load of lads crying into their handbags over players getting called up to a team they don't support.

It's funny alright. They seem angered at all the Liverpool players in the squad. They don't quite seem to have the same problem with someone like Jack Butland being in the squad as much as they do with Martin Kelly for some reason. I wonder why?? :confused::confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Mr Alan wrote: »
    He's really not

I don't understand why not, his scoring record was good wasn't it?

I don't understand why not, his scoring record was good wasn't it?

Well you can consider him a legend if it concerns you so much!!

Yep it's laughable, all getting upset about the inclusion of Liverpool players but not an eyelid batted that someone of Jones' calibre is in the squad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,578 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

All the talk of the last week of van Gaal and his balls and within 2 days Brendan gets his Dirk out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

That's harsh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

monkey9 wrote: »
    It's funny alright. They seem angered at all the Liverpool players in the squad. They don't quite seem to have the same problem with someone like Jack Butland being in the squad as much as they do with Martin Kelly for some reason. I wonder why?? :confused::confused:

They have to get their moaning in somewhere. The Ireland squad seems the very essence of unity and stability.

Thanks Dirk, gave everything when on the pitch. Love the man.

Hope he has success with his new club.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭Vudgie

Sad to see Dirk go he seemed very fond of the club and Liverpool as a city. I hope he does well in Turkey and gets a run up front;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 327 ✭✭LimGal

I have to say Im rather enjoying all this uproar from the english media about Hodgson not calling up Ferdinand!

I think alot of those same journalists who berated Liverpool for the sacking of rubby face shall be eating some humble pie pretty soon!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭wcarey1975

Thanks Dirk. Legend. YNWA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Not a Liverpool fan but sad to see Kuyt go, great asset for any team, rarely will you find a more honest or hardworking professional. He was often underrated too, very capable footballer, not just a grafter.

• Advertisement

article-1360276-0D58E437000005DC-875_634x440.jpg

815427-dirk-kuyt.jpg
    Liverpool_beats_ManU-450x350.jpg

This one was v utd....check out the stewards face :) Guess he's a red...

Someone was asking about Giovanni Dos Santos the other day, he just scored a goal Junior Dos Santos would have been proud of....sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

Dirk Kuyt is the definition of selflessness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,299 ✭✭✭djPSB

Was just looking there at how our players will fit into Rodgers style of play and how suited they are to play the passing game.

Leon Britton
    Plays in front of the defence, playing simple passes.
    Pass completion: 93.5%
    Average passes per game: 62.7

Our options:
    Lucas - Pass completion: 85.6%, Average passes per game: 57.3
    Spearing - Pass completion: 86%, Average passes per game: 51.8

Joe Allen
    Forms part of the midfield triangle, good passing ability is key.
    Pass completion: 91.2%
    Average passes per game: 60.5

Our options:
    Henderson - Pass completion 83.9%, Average passes per game: 40.3
    Adam - Pass completion: 79.5%, Average passes per game: 49

Gylfi Sigurdsson
    Also forms part of the midfield triangle but gets forward more than the other two.
    Pass completion: 84.5%
    Average passes per game: 37.2

Our options:
    Gerrard - Pass completion: 83.1%, Average passes per game: 49.7
    Shelvey - Pass completion: 82.6%, Average passes per game: 35.5
    Maxi - Pass completion: 90.6%, Average passes per game: 32.8
    Aquilani - Pass completion: 87.1%, Average passes per game: 42.5

Scott Sinclair
    Plays on the left wing, his pace offers a direct threat.
    Pass Completion: 86.2%
    Goals: 8
    Assists: 4
    Dribbles per game: 1.7

Our options:
    Suarez:
    Pass Completion: 75.4%
    Goals: 11
    Assists: 3
    Dribbles per game: 2.5

Sterling:
    Pass Completion: 86.7%
    Goals: 0
    Assists: 0
    Dribbles per game: 0.3
    *only made 3 sub appearances.

Bellamy:
    Pass Completion: 88.6%
    Goals: 6
    Assists: 3
    Dribbles per game: 0.2

Nathan Dyer
    Plays on the right wing, pace being his biggest asset.
    Pass Completion: 84.4%
    Goals: 5
    Assists: 2
    Dribbles per game: 2

Our options:
    Downing* can play either wing
    Pass Completion: 85.4
    Goals: 0
    Assists: 0
    Dribbles per game: 0.6

Danny Graham
    Pass Completion: 77.4%
    Goals: 12
    Shots per game: 2

Andy Carroll:
    Pass Completion: 64%
    Goals: 4
    Shots per game: 2.5

All stats from PL 2011/12 or in Aquilani's case Serie A.

The most interesting and worrying part for me is that even though the Swansea players played far more passes than Liverpool players, they still have a much higher passing %.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    article-1360276-0D58E437000005DC-875_634x440.jpg

815427-dirk-kuyt.jpg
    Liverpool_beats_ManU-450x350.jpg

This one was v utd....check out the stewards face :) Guess he's a red...

It's a look of pure Dirk love!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Someone was asking about Giovanni Dos Santos the other day, he just scored a goal Junior Dos Santos would have been proud of....sign him up.

A Mexican commentator for the game was hinting Liverpool are interested. Rodgers was keen on him when at Swansea.

As I said on Twitter a few moments ago, for the right price, I'd have him. He's very much a confidence player. Needs to feel wanted. He gets that when he is with the national team and more often than not he delivers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

not sure if this is real or fake, only started on 19th May.

Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia
    It's always tough leaving a club you have been with for many years and had so many good memories with, But you have to do what is right.

Sami Hyypiä ‏@Sami_Hyypia
    Good luck to Brendan Rodgers, I remember at Anfield when we played Chelsea he asked for my shirt. Great person and great manager.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,336 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Sad to see Dirk go, but it was bound to happen.

It's not often a player will leave and nearly every fan will be sad that it happened and still wish him the very best at his new club.

Every fan has very fond memories of his time at the club.

No real pace, no real trickery but he had more energy and heart than most - a legend of the club. Thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

djPSB wrote: »
    Was just looking there at how our players will fit into Rodgers style of play and how suited they are to play the passing game.

Leon Britton
    Plays in front of the defence, playing simple passes.
    Pass completion: 93.5%
    Average passes per game: 62.7

Our options:
    Lucas - Pass completion: 85.6%, Average passes per game: 57.3
    Spearing - Pass completion: 86%, Average passes per game: 51.8

Joe Allen
    Forms part of the midfield triangle, good passing ability is key.
    Pass completion: 91.2%
    Average passes per game: 60.5

Our options:
    Henderson - Pass completion 83.9%, Average passes per game: 40.3
    Adam - Pass completion: 79.5%, Average passes per game: 49

The most interesting and worrying part for me is that even though the Swansea players played far more passes than Liverpool players, they still have a much higher passing %.

It shouldn't worry you. Swansea played very conservative cautious football with an awful lot of safe passes. They didn't take the ball into the final third very much and their lack of shots and goals came as a result.

I hope that that was because Rodgers recognised Swansea's limitations and knew that the percentage game lay in stopping the other team scoring and being in control of the game, rather than really taking it to them.

I'd hope that with better players he's happier to sacrifice a bit of general possession for the less assured possession you get in the final 3rd.

As someone pointed out (Sheep portrait? Name begins with a C?), defenders have disproportionately high pass completion relative to their skill level. In the defensive 3rd you generally outnumber opponents 5 to 2 unless they're pressing very aggressively.
    Vice versa in the attacking 3rd. Obviously that affects the difficulty of passing.
    darced wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I think spearing's passing is underrated but he certainly takes the safe option more than lucas.

Lucas is happy to hang on to the ball for a little bit and have a look around. Only if pressure is put on him will he turn back towards goal and take the safe option.
    He plays alot of incisive forward passes zipped along the ground to feet, either to a midfielder or Suarez dropping deep, or else the quick balls out to the wings (rather than the Charlie Adam lofted ones that take ages to arrive).

It's easy to read too much into stats where players do different things with the ball. I'm sure the number of times Messi gives the ball away is very high. Same applies to Suarez.
    It depends what a player is trying to do with the ball and the part of the pitch they tend to play in.

Fenerbache and Leverkusen. Two more clubs i wish success for next season!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

I wonder had he already had a word with Rodgers? Assume that he would have been asked if he wanted him to stick around or not, if he did I would have thought that he would that the club would have done a bit more to keep him. Wonder what we are getting for him?

I wonder had he already had a word with Rodgers? Assume that he would have been asked if he wanted him to stick around or not, if he did I would have thought that he would that the club would have done a bit more to keep him. Wonder what we are getting for him?

Around a million!!

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He was asked to stay.
    Ben Smith ‏@BenSmithBBC
    Kuyt a great servant to #LFC - will be remembered as such but decision to leave was his. Club asked him to stay

There was allegedly a clause in his contract to release him in the last year for £1m (possibly €, but more likely £ I reckon). The bigger saving is on wages as I think he was on 80k+ per week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,880 ✭✭✭RayCon

Thanks Dirk ... excellent servent to the Club. Popped up with vital goals during your time and never put in a half shift ... had a lot of haters - **** 'em all. You will be missed.

9E9FB57F-C0AA-3928-2166769E7579E4DB.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement