Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭Ape X

mike65 wrote: »
    Hold on to your hats, this is going to be an interesting summer according to Ian Payne (I think it was), he was talking to Brendan Rodgers after he was initially approached and before his appointment. While he didn't mention specifics (sounded like it what he was told was off the record) he said that the issue of the DoF was just one of 3/4 that Rodgers got his way on and that some unexpected things can be expected.
    Would be nice if an increased transfer kitty was one of the things. Or agreement on construction of a giant catapult in Stanley Park to launch Adam into space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

If that's true I would say one of them was that he can decide to get rid of Carroll even if it means taking a big loss. I think Rodgers will take time to look at him and decide if he can fit him into his system/style but I would guess he wanted to know if push came to shove the owners were willing to take a big hit on him.

Opr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Well I can only think it's related to players in and out. Maybe this will be the summer of Suso and Sterling in and Adam and Downing out. Something mad and progressive designed for the medium term and that the next season is going to be a write off in terms of immediate points improvement. Hmmmm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

Hold on to your hats, this is going to be an interesting summer according to Ian Payne (I think it was), he was talking to Brendan Rodgers after he was initially approached and before his appointment. While he didn't mention specifics (sounded like it what he was told was off the record) he said that the issue of the DoF was just one of 3/4 that Rodgers got his way on and that some unexpected things can be expected.

Was that said on 5live?.

I found some serious irony over the last week or two when people commentating on the Villa situation were asking questions about Randy Lerner and who he was getting his advice from, H&G went to Lerner for advice. Would love to know where our owners are getting advice from, i can only think that part of the secrecy points to David Dein, him being pictured with Ayre and Comolli at the Blackburn game. Him having strong Arsenal connections and John W's previous comments around Arsenal. Perhaps after a period of contemplation they must have totally wiped their own perceived view on how to view the manager/coach role. For me, it feels like we have basically stumbled into this current situation by default and not by design. How else can we explain the turnaround?.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

can someone clear up the dof/sporting director thing, rodgers is adamant there won't be one whereas ayre and the owners are maintaining they will be implementing a continental type strategy?

is it a case where we will be getting three new management staff but one of them will be too powerful and all will be answerable to B-Rod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

daithijjj wrote: »
    Was that said on 5live?.

I found some serious irony over the last week or two when people commentating on the Villa situation were asking questions about Randy Lerner and who he was getting his advice from, H&G went to Lerner for advice. Would love to know where our owners are getting advice from, i can only think that part of the secrecy points to David Dein, him being pictured with Ayre and Comolli at the Blackburn game. Him having strong Arsenal connections and John W's previous comments around Arsenal. Perhaps after a period of contemplation they must have totally wiped their own perceived view on how to view the manager/coach role. For me, it feels like we have basically stumbled into this current situation by default and not by design. How else can we explain the turnaround?.

Please be wrong but I suspect your right.

Next few weeks should tell us a lot .

It was on 5 live, I think it can be listened to later.

It was on 5 live, I think it can be listened to later.

When was it on? in last half hour?, i will have a look around for it after the Ireland game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I see someone went absolutely mental on the thread tags :D

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

is payne basically saying there'll be big changes this Summer - I'm not sure I see the story here? maybe the twitterati will divulge more detail

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I heard that. It was in the last hour I think.

When was it on? in last half hour?, i will have a look around for it after the Ireland game.

It was between 8 pm news and about 8.20. So start an hour in.

Leiva wrote: »
    Please be wrong but I suspect your right.

Next few weeks should tell us a lot .

If David Dein has our owners ear i would be happy enough, thats not a bad thing at all. I would just like something concrete to be in place so fans can hold the people who made the decisions accountable down the line. I know we have owners to hold accountable but in terms of on the pitch i think we need the footballing make up of the club nailed down soon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Morrow is an immensely passionate man, a one-time All-American lacrosse player who started his company as a 20-year-old in a college dorm room and who ends every email with the sign-off "DOMINATE!"

Lloyd also does this.

opr wrote: »
    If that's true I would say one of them was that he can decide to get rid of Carroll even if it means taking a big loss. I think Rodgers will take time to look at him and decide if he can fit him into his system/style but I would guess he wanted to know if push came to shove the owners were willing to take a big hit on him.

Opr

I can confirm that this is a load of cobblers.

DOMINATE!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

I can confirm that this is a load of cobblers.

DOMINATE!

can DOMINATE! become a thing...

or at least DONINATE...or DONIMATE?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

El Spearo wrote: »
    can DOMINATE! become a thing...

or at least DONINATE...or DONIMATE?

Think he said DONABATE - lovely this time of year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 353 ✭✭EchoO

donfers wrote: »
    can someone clear up the dof/sporting director thing, rodgers is adamant there won't be one whereas ayre and the owners are maintaining they will be implementing a continental type strategy?

is it a case where we will be getting three new management staff but one of them will be too powerful and all will be answerable to B-Rod
    Rodgers has signed a three-year deal to take charge of the Reds, and revealed he had sought assurances from the club’s owners over rumours a strong, Director of Football type figure would be appointed above him.
    But Ayre said: “The structure we will put in place is a more continental type of structure, where you have a collaborative group of people in and around the football area.
    “We don't envisage, at this point in time, having a director of football per se but there will be a group of people who will work collaboratively with Brendan on the football side of the club.”
    He added: “There’s nothing in our structure where we would force players onto our manager. It will not be a ‘signing by committee style, more an ‘analysis by committee’.
    “It's a very typical, continental style where you've got a collaborative structure of people who are qualified across a variety of people from all sides of the business working together.”

Apparently, there will be a "collaborative group of people" instead. Management speak of the highest order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

This is gonna get DONADEATH

Listened back to it there, was Ian McGarry (@garbosj).

Was stuck in the middle of talk around Lambert. Will be interesting to find out what an "exceptionally intriguing summer for Liverpool" means.

Its here at 1hr 9mins on the radio player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01jhn3b

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,655 ✭✭✭El Inho

exceptionally exciting...

ah jaysus

Do they say exceptionally exciting or exceptionally intriguing...?

It was exceptionally intriguing when we signed Hodgson, Paulson and konchesky.
    It was exceptionally intriguing when we paid £20m for Stew.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Do they say exceptionally exciting or exceptionally intriguing...?

It was exceptionally intriguing when we signed Hodgson, Paulson and konchesky.
    It was exceptionally intriguing when we paid £20m for Stew.

Intriguing is not the word I would use there Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

I don't know what it is but something tells me there will be news about Suarez .

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Listened back to it there, was Ian McGarry (@garbosj).

Was stuck in the middle of talk around Lambert. Will be interesting to find out what an "exceptionally intriguing summer for Liverpool" means.

Its here at 1hr 9mins on the radio player.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/player/b01jhn3b

If it's McGarry it's bull and most likely a fabric of his imagination.

Nothing to see here IMHO

amiable wrote: »
    If it's McGarry it's bull and most likely a fabric of his imagination.

Nothing to see here IMHO

Yeah I didn't know it was McGarry when Mike posted as he got the name wrong.

Opr

Opr

I think he was sacked by the sun

Opr

You'll like this if it's true

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/liverpool-want-nick-powell-the-crewe-862573?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
    Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers is ready to fight Manchester United and Arsenal for Crewe whizkid Nick Powell.

New Kop chief Rodgers is prepared to top the offers from United and the Gunners for the young attacker.

Powell is going to be cleared for talks with United chief Sir Alex Ferguson after his bid of £2million-plus down and installments that could take the total value to £5m was accepted by the Railwaymen.

Arsenal have offered more money for Powell, but Crewe surprisingly snubbed their approach.

Now Rodgers hopes he can step in and win the race with a better bid.

Transfer tug-of-war: Rodgers is set for his first scrap with Alex Ferguson
    Clint Hughes

The auction has begun in earnest for an 18-year-old who is tipped for greatness, although Tottenham have dropped out because of the 'extras' that take his total fee beyond their valuation.

Powell will also have a say on his move - he wants to play first-team football and will want that chance either at his new club or by being sent out on loan for additional experience.

Ferguson has been working overtime to land Powell, who would also like to stay in the north-west of England - a factor which makes Rodgers' arrival in the hunt a real threat to United's plans.

* BUSY Liverpool have also won the race to sign Birmingham starlet Foday Nabay.

Chelsea, Arsenal and Manchester United were also chasing the midfielder, who has been playing above his age group in Blues' Under-18s side.

Anfield scouts had been eyeing Nabay long before Rodgers' appointment last week, and watched the Sierra Leone-born prospect play for England Under-16s last summer.

Liverpool will have to pay Birmingham only £70,000 in compensation, due to a loophole in Nabay's contract at St Andrew's.

I thought I had read United had him wrapped up. I remember when we signed Dan Smith a few months back people had said he was guy we really should be after. I've watched him a few times since and he looks a great prospect. In the playoffs he looked a cut above the others players on the pitch which for someone so young was impressive.

Opr

I thought I had read United had him wrapped up. I remember when we signed Dan Smith a few months back people had said he was guy we really should be after. I've watched him a few times since and he looks a great prospect. In the playoffs he looked a cut above the others players on the pitch which for someone so young was impressive.

Opr

It would seem it's not wrapped up but I'd say United will still get him.
    I think the Daily Mail linked him to Chelsea last week.
    I see he was in contact with Adam Morgan today on twitter.

• Advertisement

amiable wrote: »
    It would seem it's not wrapped up but I'd say United will still get him.
    I think the Daily Mail linked him to Chelsea last week.
    I see he was in contact with Adam Morgan today on twitter.

We already have been killing the market in terms of paying big fees for the best youth players available over the last year or more. While nice if we can get him I think in terms of recruitment we're doing very well anyway.

The most interesting aspect to all this for me will be to see if Rodgers dictates a more possession based approach to our youth teams. We do concentrate on the technical aspects but it has been with Rafa's ideas of quick transition from midfield to attack. Rodgers like Rafa in his earlier days will want a more controlled approach.

I think as daithijjj has alluded towards, instead of maybe things like prudence leading to our new appointment we may instead have lucked into something with Brendan which could be a great fit and turn out to be quite special. I think as a club we may be due some luck and I genuinely think we might have finally got some by appointing Rodgers.

Opr

Rodgers said in one of his billion interviews that he speaks with Jose Mourinho pretty much every week, wonder if a few deals could be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Rodgers said in one of his billion interviews that he speaks with Jose Mourinho pretty much every week, wonder if a few deals could be done.

Sacrilegious to see Ronaldo in a Liverpool shirt, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Weren't we linked with Granero?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

How many signings do you guys think you need for this season?

I'd say 6/7

A starting CF
    A starting wide forward
    A backup wide forward
    A starting CM
    A backup/starting AM (Sigurdsson, his starting would depend on if Aqua was deemed good enough to start)
    A backup DM
    Possibly a backup LB

With the following sold: Adam, Maxi, Jones, Downing, Cole, Eccleston + The ones gone already (Aurelio, Kuyt, Emilsson, Amoo, Darby, Mendy, McGiveron and Roberts)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Far too much work to achieve in one window. Even if you could shift that many bodies, it would probably be counter productive because A) you'd be lowering your standards in terms of what you're bringing in and B) the squad would take so long to gel that it would mean the season was punted

Willing to hold on to Maxi if he is utilised. Willing to hold onto Adam if he is only played in the FA Cup and League Cup.

Joe Cole, 30m and not a penny less. Thanks José!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

reina/doni

Skrtel/carra
    Agger/coetes
    Johnson/kelly/flanagan
    Enrique/new/robinson

lucas/new/spearing

New/henderson/adam

gerrard/aquilani or sig/shelvey

Suarez/New/maxi
    New/downing/bellamy
    Carroll/suarez/New

we are no competing in the europa league aswell so will need a big squad

so judging by this we need the following

A backup LB but it is way down the list of priorities as Johnson can cover there
    A Back up DM for lucas is extremely important
    One first choice CM that can control a game
    AM should be ok if aquilani comes back and plays but if not and we sign sigurdsson as expected i wont mind
    2 wingers, one should be of first team calibre and another someone with potential like hoilett. Sterling should also get more gametime.
    A striker- my preference is for someone different to both carroll and suarez, a quick poacher would be ideal

That is a lot of work that needs to be done to have the squad up to scratch and that is without even replacing potential departures we might face like maxi

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

Cheeky bid for Alonso? :pac:

Adam should be held on to, I feel. Just in case of a complete nightmare scenario where most of the first choice mids get injured

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

People are really deluding themselves if the think any new manager is gonna come in & cull the likes of Adam, Downing, Carroll, Carragher in one fell swoop.

I'd expect all the above to feature pretty regularly next season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

Not liverpool related but i noticed this from my pics at the weekend

DAVID LUIZ??

AuleBL2CQAAZCg6.jpg

G.K. wrote: »
    How many signings do you guys think you need for this season?

I'd say 6/7

A starting CF
    A starting wide forward
    A backup wide forward
    A starting CM
    A backup/starting AM (Sigurdsson, his starting would depend on if Aqua was deemed good enough to start)
    A backup DM
    Possibly a backup LB

With the following sold: Adam, Maxi, Jones, Downing, Cole, Eccleston + The ones gone already (Aurelio, Kuyt, Emilsson, Amoo, Darby, Mendy, McGiveron and Roberts)

I look at things differently i guess.

I would never purchase backup players. The way to go is only sign players who will make the first XI better, whoever was in the first XI can then do 1 of 3 things. Use the competition for your place to improve yourself, accept you will be backup and stay, or leave.

I expect Sterling/Robinson/Flanagan/Shelvey to be near to the squad or its pointless having them, also Suso to get a few games. All of these lads should be playing Europa to some degree imho.

If by getting backup players in, that means they get paid alot less than some current fringe players then fine. But what exactly are you going to get for the wages?. Imo, its a far better tactic to buy youth with potential who can perform as backup initially rather than buy players who are say 28 and only going one way.

I suppose what im saying is, buy Joe Allen's (22) rather than Per Mertesacker's (27). Both are backup imo but only one has a future that can push for better.

Some interesting views in this.

The Author & The Economist: An Interview with Soccernomics' Authors (Part 1)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2012/06/04/the-author-the-economist-an-interview-with-soccernomics-authors-part-1/

Factoring out sentiment for a moment (for those who are able)...

Is Carragher worth the wages we are paying him as our current 4th choice center back?

His hoofing style surely doesn't suit and won't suit Brendan. He is more 4th choice by default (or 3rd choice in some people's eyes) by default.

I don't know what wages he is on, Riise was apparently on 120k a number of years ago so I shudder to think.

I'm reading in this thread: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=291446.80 that he is on 130k per week, a contract Purslow signed off on when we on hiatus. Apparently earning more than Kompany and Vidic.

Apparently his contract is up next summer, I can't see it being renewed.

The same question will have to be asked re: Stevie if we can't get more game time out of him/fit him into the team properly.

• Advertisement

Is Carragher worth the wages we are paying him as our current 4th choice center back?

His hoofing style surely doesn't suit and won't suit Brendan. He is more 4th choice by default (or 3rd choice in some people's eyes) by default.

I don't know what wages he is on, Riise was apparently on 120k a number of years ago so I shudder to think.

I'm reading in this thread: http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=291446.80 that he is on 130k per week, a contract Purslow signed off on when we on hiatus. Apparently earning more than Kompany and Vidic.

Apparently his contract is up next summer, I can't see it being renewed.

The same question will have to be asked re: Stevie if we can't get more game time out of him/fit him into the team properly.

Jesus :eek:

I thought he was on maybe 80k at most!

If Carra wants to stay at the club, and I'd imagine he does, offer him a player/coach role and give him the wages of a coach. No way should he be on anything more than 50k a week at the moment, and as his playing time is reduced more, so should his wage.

Some interesting views in this.

The Author & The Economist: An Interview with Soccernomics' Authors (Part 1)

http://www.forbes.com/sites/zachslaton/2012/06/04/the-author-the-economist-an-interview-with-soccernomics-authors-part-1/

I should have read this before my post and not afterwards because they said pretty much the same thing about Carra and Stevie.
    Knex. wrote: »
    Jesus :eek:

I thought he was on maybe 80k at most!

If Carra wants to stay at the club, and I'd imagine he does, offer him a player/coach role and give him the wages of a coach. No way should he be on anything more than 50k a week at the moment, and as his playing time is reduced more, so should his wage.

I'm not sure he will make a decent coach tbh. During my searching (for his possible wages), I found some article about his new contract and possibly moving into coaching, and he said he didn't have the right attitude or 'temperament'. I'd have to agree with him, he'd just bollock people out of it much like he did with Aurelio.
    He'd rather move 'straight into coaching the seniors'.

How does that work though, his style is very different to the style we are likely to be promoting. Also, considering his xenophobic comments about taking his wife to dinner and being able to speak to someone in English, I wouldn't want him in a coaching role. I honestly don't think he is a positive influence anymore.

If the club are to give him a coaching role, I'd rather they were somewhat semi ruthless and offered it to him this summer, take it or leave it. That way taking him off his mega football wages.

In the thread I posted, someone said something along the lines of 'You better respect him, he'll probably be our manager in a year or two' (posted in March).
    I really don't see him being an effective manager tbh, obviously it's hard to make that call.

So yea, apparently considerably more than Kompany, one of the parting gifts from Purslow.

Just when you think you've heard all the stories about how shockingly bad this club has been run over the last 20 years, you hear something like this.

130k a week for Carragaher, Jesus wept.

At least under our current owners I can't see something like this happening again. At least I hope not anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Knex. wrote: »
    Just when you think you've heard all the stories about how shockingly bad this club has been run over the last 20 years, you hear something like this.

130k a week for Carragaher, Jesus wept.

At least under our current owners I can't see something like this happening again. At least I hope not anyway.

Didn't Johnson just sign a 120K contract under FSG.. Crazy money for a full back considering Kelly was on the way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭ush

No.

The owners are thankfully ditching the sentimental crap. Rodgers doesn't seem enthralled by it either. I'm not expecting a spirited defence of the Carling Cup title.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement