Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,420 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

lol at this thread, always mad as hell over the Carragher contract.

We'll probably have to renew Gerrard towards the end of next season as he approaches 34. What do you think that will cost per week? Look around yourself this morning in the office (Andy Carroll excepted obv): how many senior people are, strictly speaking, overpaid for what they do? But in practical terms, how many of same were reasonably deduced as vital when their salary last came up for negotiation?

Carragher was our starting centre half and Vice Captain when his deal was last renewed. Would FSG have driven a harder bargain? Probably. But not by as much as you all like to think. Additionally, if you are all banking on FSG to have a Svengali like ability to see the wood from the trees in such situations you will be disappointed. His drop off since the deal was inked has been extraordinary. Some will claim to have seen it coming in here, but how much of that was just Agger fanboism?

Carragher's contract is bad but, unfortunately, the club will grant more like it every so often for as long as it remains a going concern.

Not sure if the latest from Rodgers was posted
    Brendan Rodgers has told Kenny Dalglish he is always welcome at Liverpool and believes the Scot's presence at Anfield would inspire his challenge of restoring the club's fortunes.

The new Liverpool manager claims an element of supporters would treat his appointment as Dalglish's successor with scepticism even if he ended the club's exhaustive wait for the Premier League title. But he has moved to avoid any possible rift with Dalglish personally by asking the Scot, sacked by Fenway Sports Group last month after winning the Carling Cup but finishing eighth in the league, not to keep his distance.

A previous Liverpool manager, Roy Hodgson, felt Dalglish's presence as club ambassador undermined his brief spell in charge, with the Kop calling for the legend's return as Hodgson's tenure unravelled. But Rodgers said: "I have the ultimate respect for Kenny Dalglish. My door is always open for Kenny Dalglish. This is his home. He is the heart and soul of this club. His love for this club is unrivalled. He is the best player in the history of this club.
    "I am not here to win any race or competition. This guy is a legend in the game and here at Liverpool Football Club. But what I know is history judges you as a manager and hopefully in time people will look back at what I have achieved here and I can walk beside these people. But there is no way I can try and overtake someone like Kenny Dalglish. All I can do is be myself. This is a prestigious club and this is a guy who has a wonderful history here and will continue to have a great future in terms of Liverpool. I can't worry about that. The only way you can overcome that is by winning."

Dalglish was sacked 12 months into a three-year contract despite ending Liverpool's six-year wait for a trophy and reaching the FA Cup final, but falling way short of expectations in the Premier League. Rodgers, however, denies Liverpool's owners lack perspective over the club's position.
    "I've had real open and honest discussions with the owners," said Rodgers, who was powerless to prevent Dirk Kuyt leaving for Fenerbahce due to a £1m release clause in the Dutch international's contract. "They are beginning this cycle of realism as well. There is no doubt they want to be winners, because I do as manager, and so do the supporters and players. But in order to do that the cycle has to begin somewhere."

Liverpool's array of former players in the media, and at Anfield on match-days, have aggravated several former managers who have struggled to recreate the club's title-winning prowess. But Rodgers accepts criticism comes with the job description.

He said: "I respect every player who has played here and passed through the club's history. There are three types of supporters at every club. No1 is those who love their club and love their manager whoever it is because Liverpool is their life and their passion. The second group is supporters who will accept you but to earn their real respect you have to be successful. That's fine.
    "The third group are the critics and you never change them ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win one league title you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never change them. I understand that not everybody will want me here. But that's part of the dance."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I have been saying about phasing Carra out for 2 years, but in partnership with a phasing-in of Kelly to his RCB position. I think he is made for that. He's big, good in the tackle, quick, and as a full back not nearly as natural in attack as Johnson. He's a ready-made centre half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Personally, I don't think you'll see the best of Martin Kelly until he plays centre back.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

"The third group are the critics and you never change them ever. Ever. If you win 4-0 it should have been five, if you win one league title you should have won three. I will never worry about that group because you can never change them. I understand that not everybody will want me here. But that's part of the dance."

He really should stop reading boards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Poor Brendan has already gotten an earful off us ;)

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

Vicxas wrote: »
    Poor Brendan has already gotten an earful off us ;)

Not yet, but wait until you see the fireworks when he only gets us 2nd in the league on 82 points. ;)

spockety wrote: »
    Not yet, but wait until you see the fireworks when he only gets us 2nd in the league on 82 points. ;)

People will be raging and calling for his head....

Even though he won the Carling, FA and Europa league.... :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

spockety wrote: »
    Vicxas wrote: »
    People will be raging and calling for his head....

Even though he won the Carling, FA and Europa league.... :P

No he'll get another chance.

If he only finishes 5th though he's gone!!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Levia raised the question yesterday. Can anyone see us cashing in on Suarez? We can only assume that FSGs disapproval of how Dalglish and the club handled the 'race row' must linger on in terms of their attitude to Suarez. As they try to market the club internationally I am guessing that any lingering racism issue (however justified/un-justified) would not play well with these aims. While Rodgers has had most of his demands met is it possible that Suarez is one issue that FSG might push on. (FWIW I don't recall Suarez being name-checked by Rodgers in the list of great players at the club)
    Looking at his return on the pitch against the money you could get for him could make him a candidate for sale? Also does he have the discipline to fit into Rodger's system?

(this is all pure speculation on my part and just questions so no biting my head off)

• Advertisement

Slattsy wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think you'll see the best of Martin Kelly until he plays centre back.

Can't understand why he hasn't played there more. Even in Carling or friendly games. He's not made to be a full back, although he does a good job of it. Hasn't the burst of pace needed to avoid getting mugged. But face him up to a striker, and watch him work...

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Levia raised the question yesterday. Can anyone see us cashing in on Suarez?

No. I think players are allowed moments of madness, they are younger and are employed for different skills. A manager is supposed to rise above a lot of stuff, and be the steady hand.

And besides that, players of his ability are VERY hard to find. We found one in Alonso, Torres, Reina, and Masc to an extent. In the last 7/8 years, these have been our only world class signings. The only players that the very best clubs would come after (Gerrard excluded). We cannot hope to simply replace him, it's far from that simple.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

lempsipmax wrote: »
    Levia raised the question yesterday. Can anyone see us cashing in on Suarez? We can only assume that FSGs disapproval of how Dalglish and the club handled the 'race row' must linger on in terms of their attitude to Suarez. As they try to market the club internationally I am guessing that any lingering racism issue (however justified/un-justified) would not play well with these aims. While Rodgers has had most of his demands met is it possible that Suarez is one issue that FSG might push on. (FWIW I don't recall Suarez being name-checked by Rodgers in the list of great players at the club)
    Looking at his return on the pitch against the money you could get for him could make him a candidate for sale? Also does he have the discipline to fit into Rodger's system?

(this is all pure speculation on my part and just questions so no biting my head off)

Well well well ..20min ago .
    @guardian_sport: Football transfer rumours: Is Liverpool's Luis Suarez off to Juventus? http://t.co/UBkOAH4O | Scott Murray

16mil :pac:

If they sold Suarez it would confirm to me that their priorities for this club are something other than on field success.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Exciting summer ahead for Liverpool hopefully B-Rod can bring in some good players to improve the team and move Liverpool up the league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,842 ✭✭✭✭kippy

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    If they sold Suarez it would confirm to me that their priorities for this club are something other than on field success.

What priority would it point to?

I personally think Suarez will leave the club this Summer. Liverpool probably want to distance themselves from that nasty period in the clubs history (whether it was right or wrong) and Suarez may want to play elsewhere anyway for a few reasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,785 ✭✭✭killwill

It would be crazy to sell Suarez, as a Utd fan I don't like him but I can only see him getting better next season. Even if he only added 5-8 more goals for ye it would be vital. Plus he is surely worth around 30m no?

They wont sell Suarez, it would be suicide this year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 311 ✭✭lempsipmax

Hadn't see the Guardian story. I am with Levia though I do think we will hear plenty more on the topic. Just found a related story on the Mail and the quotes are from a 'source' not Rodgers himself.

• Advertisement

kippy wrote: »
    What priority would it point to?

I personally think Suarez will leave the club this Summer. Liverpool probably want to distance themselves from that nasty period in the clubs history (whether it was right or wrong) and Suarez may want to play elsewhere anyway for a few reasons.

That their priority is turning us into as viable a commercial entity as possible first and foremost.

Suarez has provided no indication that he wants to go elsewhere, and he is quite simply our best player. Moreover, we have no hope of bringing in a superior replacement.

Selling your best player with no chance of upgrading is never a good idea. Utd were forced by Ronaldo - ditto Arsenal and Fabregas.

And United got £80M or so for Ronaldo. That's the sort of money you'd need to make it interesting.

I still think that it we had signed Suarez a week earlier, Torres would have stayed. He'd have trained with him, seen he was special, and thought "This changes things..."

What could have been!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

For €16 million? Juventus are having a laugh if they think about offering that.

What's it with clubs in Italy being tight bastards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If Suarez were up for sale it wouldn't be to an Italian club, not unless the club have learned NOTHING over the last few years.

That their priority is turning us into as viable a commercial entity as possible first and foremost.

Suarez has provided no indication that he wants to go elsewhere, and he is quite simply our best player. Moreover, we have no hope of bringing in a superior replacement.

Selling your best player with no chance of upgrading is never a good idea. Utd were forced by Ronaldo - ditto Arsenal and Fabregas.

Well, they are businessmen so one would assume making money is high on the agenda.
    One can say that money follows success, but success also follows money as we've seen.
    I suppose from their perspective the image of the club has been damaged by the whole racism incident, and for owners looking to raise the image of the club (a club without much onfield success in the past number of years) these type of things can be damaging. Perhaps the owners see Suarez as an issue that needs to be gotten rid of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

DrumSteve wrote: »
    For €16 million? Juventus are having a laugh if they think about offering that.

What's it with clubs in Italy being tight bastards.

It's £16, not €16m, and it's plus a player or two in Elia/Krasic. I still call bullsh*t but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a few clubs will be interested, and that they'll low-ball us at first to test the water given what's gone on with him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Sappy404 wrote: »
    It's £16, not €16m, and it's plus a player or two in Elia/Krasic. I still call bullsh*t but I don't think it's beyond the realms of possibility that a few clubs will be interested, and that they'll low-ball us at first to test the water given what's gone on with him.

No doubt, but given whats gone on with the Aqua transfer I'd seriously doubt this story.

Plus, what would be the point of getting rid of (probably) our only decent finisher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Suarez isn't going anywhere.

and if he is, i'd be done with FSG.

we wouldn't get a player as good or better for less than all the money a Sheikh can throw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Suarez simply cannot be allowed to leave. He is by far our biggest goal threat and there is no way he could be replaced for £16 million. The fact that Juve are throwing in two of their rejects makes the deal all the more laughable. Do we really need another mediocre player on a big contract?

I can't see how anyone is saying that Suarez is going nowhere.

Who knows in football.

I'd never do business with Italians again though that's for sure. They'd probably want him on loan for a year and then pay in instalments over 25 years.

rarnes1 wrote: »

Who knows in football.

I'd never do business with Italians again though that's for sure. They'd probably want him on loan for a year and then pay in instalments over 25 years.
    Milan roasted us on Aquilani.

We paid £17 million for him, and we've been paying 25% of his wages and now Milan are trying to renegotiate the tiny £6.5 million release fee that they have on him :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

i'd be disgusted if we sold Suarez for anything less than £35m.

Even then I wouldn't be happy - as it's been pointed out he would be irreplaceable. There's no one we could attract of his ability.

We already need a minimum of 2 (quite possibly 3) signings in forward positions, we can not afford to let Suarez go. I expect to play even better next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

LOL at the "Italians" getting constantly slated here over Liverpools retarded use of Aquilani.

Morzadec wrote: »
    i'd be disgusted if we sold Suarez for anything less than £35m.

Even then I wouldn't be happy - as it's been pointed out he would be irreplaceable. There's no one we could attract of his ability.

We already need a minimum of 2 (quite possibly 3) signings in forward positions, we can not afford to let Suarez go. I expect to play even better next season.
    There's a strong chance, in my opinion, Suarez will want out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Rekop dog wrote: »
    LOL at the "Italians" getting constantly slated here over Liverpools retarded use of Aquilani.

The Italian clubs are total cynical skinflints (corrupt as well) of course Liverpool were idiots for dealing with them not once but twice, it must not happen again.
    Which is why Aquamans contract should be cancelled if he won't play for Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

rarnes1 wrote: »

Who knows in football.

They're not as bad as the greeks though - sure they invented gayness :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

mike65 wrote: »

The Italian clubs are total cynical skinflints (corrupt as well) of course Liverpool were idiots for dealing with them not once but twice, it must not happen again.
    Which is why Aquamans contract should be cancelled if he won't play for Liverpool.

Put the shoe on the other foot and you'd be calling it shrewed! Milan's transfer dealings have been phenomenal last few years constantly getting quality players for a snip of their actual value, it's a model that you should be aspiring to, not the ball so hard we'll buy any English youngster that half impresses over a season at any price model that Liverpool have been using since the new owners came in.

Who is slating the "Italians"?

I was just expressing frustration that we have spent major money on a player, only to loan him out on the cheap with the intention of letting him go for half nothing. I actually watched him in pre season last year, and thought he looked one of our best players. Despite this, he ended up getting shipped out on loan yet again. What's killing me most about this is that both Hodgson and Kenny said they wanted him at the club. The player himself has also said he is willing to give it a try. Why not give the lad a chance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Goodman Ian .
    @thisisanfield: Ian Ayre in angry dig at “Dave Whelan sideshow” http://t.co/AE9FelBP #LFC

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see him and others at least seriously linked with moves away this summer. I'd be disappointed and gutted, but not surprised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Put the shoe on the other foot and you'd be calling it shrewed! Milan's transfer dealings have been phenomenal last few years constantly getting quality players for a snip of their actual value, it's a model that you should be aspiring to, not the ball so hard we'll buy any English youngster that half impresses over a season at any price model that Liverpool have been using since the new owners came in.
    Pull up one post where a user slated the AC for being poor at business or for giving us a raw deal - every poster on here knows that the Aquilani situation stems out of exceptionally shít business on the Liverpool side.

Of course it's shrewd business by them, what's annoying is that we've clearly done very, very poor negotiating and now AC are playing hardball over a transfer - to which we would kindly like them to fúck off.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 684 ✭✭✭CL7

Lads FSG have given us no reason to think that they want to sell Suarez, none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

How does that work though, his style is very different to the style we are likely to be promoting. Also, considering his xenophobic comments about taking his wife to dinner and being able to speak to someone in English, I wouldn't want him in a coaching role. I honestly don't think he is a positive influence anymore.

QUOTE]

Couldn't agree more. he would be a **** coach and a **** manager.

PaulieC wrote: »
    Pull up one post where a user slated the AC for being poor at business or for giving us a raw deal - every poster on here knows that the Aquilani situation stems out of exceptionally shít business on the Liverpool side.

Of course it's shrewd business by them, what's annoying is that we've clearly done very, very poor negotiating and now AC are playing hardball over a transfer - to which we would kindly like them to fúck off.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that
    +1

Joe Cole - 100k a week
    Jovanovic - 90k a week
    Aquilani - 80k a week
    Maxi - 80k a week
    Carragher - 80k a week

Even Konchesky was on something completely ludicrous like 50k a week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭Sappy404

It's possible. But is there any evidence of it? No.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

God I hope we get some decent business done and as soon as possible. Been a long time coming, but even still, I'm feckin' proper gutted and what has transpired up the road. Really stresses how ****ing stupid our transfer policy was last summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Suarez owes the club one to be honest. Everyone stood by him. If he does request to leave he's being a bit of a ****.

However, if the club decide to sell him, it sends out the wrong signal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Sell Suarez for less than a Downing.
    Me no likely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

-Ade- wrote: »
    God I hope we get some decent business done and as soon as possible. Been a long time coming, but even still, I'm feckin' proper gutted and what has transpired up the road. Really stresses how ****ing stupid are transfer policy was last summer.

12m for Kagawa really does put some of the transfer fees we paid out into context.

Just goes to show how horribly overpriced English "talent" is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Kess73 wrote: »
    12m for Kagawa really does put some of the transfer fees we paid out into context.

Just goes to show how horribly overpriced English "talent" is.

Premiership proven ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Laika1986

I cant see Suarez being sold lads, as it stands we will struggle to attract big players as it is. I'd imagine alot of players would look at Liverpool and think I wouldnt mind playing with him etc.

On a sidenote does anyone else reckon Johnson will be sold?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement