Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

It was the Sunday Mail as far as I know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

opr wrote: »
    Yeah I think it was them. I don't really see peoples problem. Kenny being uncomfortable in front of a camera, showing contempt towards certain sections of the media has very little to do with him writing a newspaper column. If the tabloids had more people like him writing for them they wouldn't be in such a state.

Opr

Yeah, I agree. No harm in it, just something to do to keep himself busy.
    amiable wrote: »
    It was the Sunday Mail as far as I know

Daily! All his articles are here actually...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/columnist-1052309/Kenny-Dalglish.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,634 ✭✭✭jenno86

Blatter wrote: »
    Yeah, I agree. No harm in it, just something to do to keep himself busy.

Daily! All his articles are here actually...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/columnist-1052309/Kenny-Dalglish.html

They are posted on the site every 7 days as far as I can see on a Monday. Printed Sunday. Posted Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Anyone know much about Wigan's Mohamed Diame. I have not seen him play too much and looks like we are considering him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Anyone know much about Wigan's Mohamed Diame. I have not seen him play too much and looks like we are considering him.

Good player imo. His finishing is a bit erratic but he is a talented all round midfielder. We could do a lot worse. He's a free agent AFAIK.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Is Diame the player that missed sitters two games in row, towards the end of season?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,998 ✭✭✭grohlisagod

Is Diame the player that missed sitters two games in row, towards the end of season?

Yes but he also scored some crackers. Like I said, erratic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 394 ✭✭cantgetright

Yes but he also scored some crackers. Like I said, erratic.

Must be same player I was thinking of

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭seanwhite20

Seen an interview he did with ssn and he looked genuinely devastated that Kenny had left Liverpool because he really had his heart set on joining us...If the deal is back on I'd see it as a good thing. Decent player and Liverpool is his preferred club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

redzerdrog wrote: »
    cheerio to maxi he was a decent servent to the club and never complained even though he should have got more gametime

On a plus thats another maybe £90,000 a week off the wage bill

just on the Diame signing he will provide decent backup for lucas without costing a fortune win win for us. regarding spearing there is no point selling him, his wages are hardly massive and he is not going to bring in a huge transfer fee. hold onto him we have plenty of matches this year and he can provide emergency cover. I wreckon he could still get 15+ games this year in all comps

I think Spearing would need more than 15+ games, especially probably Cup and EC games to develop. I don't think we can afford that.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

I can't see the issue whatsoever with Kenny writing for the Mirror. His daughter works in the media for feck sake!! I think people just look for problems for the sake of having an opinion on something!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Seen an interview he did with ssn and he looked genuinely devastated that Kenny had left Liverpool because he really had his heart set on joining us.

Very appropriate use of words, given he has a heart problem!

I see our favourite quote monkey Dave Whelan is taking chunks out of him for leaving -

"He is a good player and he is a good lad and we were disappointed that he did not sign for Wigan to be honest because he could not get a club in Spain when he was there three years,"
    "He unfortunately has the problem with his heart and that is a serious problem. We have always addressed it and sort of helped him along with it. You have to keep that heart machine within 50 yards of him all the time."
    "We picked him up when Barcelona had refused him because of his heart and we took the chance and brought him over and I don't think that he has repaid the faith that we put in him and the chance we gave.
    "It's down to money, money, money. I think he should be able to step back and have a look and think: 'Who gave me the chance to play in the Premier League?' It was Wigan Athletic. He owes a lot to Roberto (Martinez) and I really don't think he has repaid that."

Really trying to poison him to potential clubs. So he's greedy, disloyal and has a dodgy heart. Remind me again why you wanted to KEEP him then?

I am really over Whelan....... :mad:

I see Jackson Martinez is about to join Porto. I think I remember Jen Chang saying he wouldn't get a work permit so that may be one of the reasons Liverpool didn't follow up their interest.

What's with the tumbleweed in here?

So Maxi may be staying? Maybe he sees himself getting more time under Buck...

Dickerty wrote: »
    What's with the tumbleweed in here?

So Maxi may be staying? Maybe he sees himself getting more time under Buck...

I'm pretty confident Maxi will be gone come August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Steve Clarke confirmed WBA manager

Leiva wrote: »
    Steve Clarke confirmed WBA manager

Best of luck to him :)

amiable wrote: »
    I see Jackson Martinez is about to join Porto. I think I remember Jen Chang saying he wouldn't get a work permit so that may be one of the reasons Liverpool didn't follow up their interest.

I'm surprised someone super-rich hasn't picked up a Portuguese club yet. They get a natural advantage of being able to get South American players without the permits that make it difficult elsewhere, as well as the language benefit for Brazilians, and the relative lower quality in the league means you could really compete in Europe and still have domestic success...

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

So Pepe welcomes Rodgers...... well kinda
    “His team has played well this year with an ethos that I share and Liverpool is also known to play the passing game but it is easier said than done,” Reina reportedly told El Pais.
    “Rodgers is welcomed and I am at his disposal. We have won a trophy this year but it is clear that in recent seasons we should have done better.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/08/pepe-reina-welcomes-the-arrival-of-new-liverpool-fc-manager-brendan-rodgers-100252-31138291/

and Maxi say's........
    “I do not know where these things come from,” he said.

“I have one year left on my contract at Liverpool and did not talk to anybody.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/liverpool-fc/liverpool-fc-news/2012/06/08/liverpool-fc-s-maxi-rodriguez-denies-anfield-exit-but-his-future-remains-100252-31138494/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

“Rodgers is welcomed and I am at his disposal

The tone almost suggests Pepe has put down his paper with a small sigh at this interruption and has passed judgement! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

mike65 wrote: »
    The tone almost suggests Pepe has put down his paper with a small sigh at this interruption and has passed judgement! :p

It seems to me like he's responding in a tone like he was asked a stupid question.

To Reina its a new manager, and obviously he's going to work with him and continue to do his best for the team.

In fairness, a goalkeeper is probably the least affected by a new manager. He still has to get in goal, and be goalkeeper-like.

In fairness, a goalkeeper is probably the least affected by a new manager. He still has to get in goal, and be goalkeeper-like.

I don't think Reina would say that given how things were under Rafa, and since then. Hopefully Rodgers will play to his strengths as a keeper who can use the ball.

I don't think Reina would say that given how things were under Rafa, and since then. Hopefully Rodgers will play to his strengths as a keeper who can use the ball.

True - but I'm pretty sure any manager would hope that his goalkeeper doesn't have to use the ball that often.

The rest of the tactical and formation adjustments really affect Reina very little. He still has to be a goalkeeper, and he's still going to distribute to the best of his abilities when called on to do so.

And also, he wants to be successful, and to play against the best, so the choice of manager impacts him in that way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

With the Maxi situation, it's almost identical to the story reported last summer, same team involved too. Papers were reporting it as a finalised deal, next thing I know it's 1 month later, our first game of pre-season and Maxi's ****ing playing! :p

As Maxi said to the Echo, no idea where this **** comes from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

True - but I'm pretty sure any manager would hope that his goalkeeper doesn't have to use the ball that often.

Rodgers values the keeper as much as any other player in regards to using the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

As Maxi said to the Echo, no idea where this **** comes from.

To be fair, his wave to the crowd when substituted during our last home game of the season plus tweets the next day made it appear that he was off.

I'd say these things could be pretty flexible, he may have thought that "well if things stay the same, I'm offski" and then new manager arrives and he thinks "hey maybe I'll get more of a chance so until I know different I'm staying"

Meanwhile his pregnant wife is continually packing and unpacking suitcases :mad: :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,630 ✭✭✭The Recliner

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    To be fair, his wave to the crowd when substituted during our last home game of the season plus tweets the next day made it appear that he was off.

He may just have assumed that Kenny would still be in charge and given how little he used him he wouldn't have had much choice but to leave to play football

• Advertisement

He may just have assumed that Kenny would still be in charge and given how little he used him he wouldn't have had much choice but to leave to play football

Being an intelligent footballer, I think he may have more opportunities under Rodgers than he had under Kenny, provided he's kept on the books of course.

Personally I'd like him to stay, I still think he has a lot to offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Unless he is used often we should get rid of him. Keeping at guy on 90k to just to warm the bench is a waste. Saves £4.5m or so by getting rid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

The rest of the tactical and formation adjustments really affect Reina very little. He still has to be a goalkeeper, and he's still going to distribute to the best of his abilities when called on to do so.

I cant agree with any of this.

We saw what happened to Reina's performance when Rafa left.

Having a formation that allows for a quick release of the ball out to the wings is very important and Reina's throws are very accurate.

I believe/hope that Rodgers will get the best out of him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Unless he is used often we should get rid of him. Keeping at guy on 90k to just to warm the bench is a waste. Saves £4.5m or so by getting rid.

I thought he signed on a three and a half year contract that was worth £3m a year which including his signing on fee spread over the three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Kess73 wrote: »
    I thought he signed on a three and a half year contract that was worth £3m a year which including his signing on fee spread over the three years.

I heard it was £60k wage with his signing bonus being added on top of that which made it £90k. Either way, it's still a decent bit of money for someone who wouldn't be first choice or isn't especially brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,515 ✭✭✭Hoki

Good article on Sigurdsson for anyone thats interested. Dont think its been posted before , apologies if the images are massive.

http://paisleygates.com/?p=8721
    Name: Gylfi Sigurðsson
    Height: 1.86 m
    Weight: 77 kg
    Position: Attacking Midfielder

Honours:
    • Premier League Player of the Month: March 2012
    • Football League Championship Player of the Month: March 2010
    • Reading Player of the Season: 2009–10
    • Hoffenheim Player of the Season: 2010–11

Transfer rumours are curious things. They tend to emerge quickly and vanish even quicker, too lacking in substance to sustain themselves for any decent length of time. In the case of Gylfi Sigurðsson however, a certain degree of substance exists, even if his future remains uncertain. This is a rumour worth persisting with.

All but confirmed as a permanent Swansea player last week, after a successful 6 month loan stint in South Wales last season, the Icelandic attacker appears to have a difficult choice to make. Does he follow his mentor Brendan Rodgers to Liverpool, the man who fanned his considerable talent into flames after a stagnant period in the Bundesliga? Or does he complete his Swansea move and hope they remain true to their positive style and upward course under a new manager?

His latest comments seem to indicate that the combined pull of Liverpool and Rodgers will ultimately prove to be too alluring.

“It’s just unclear at this moment where I will play. I’d like to play on with Swansea since I was really happy there but after Brendan Rodgers left the club for Liverpool, that changed the situation. I expect not to stay at Swansea because of the uncertainty going on there as it is not clear who is boss. I have said that my desire to continue playing in the Premier League and Liverpool is completely considered. Liverpool is a big club that has a glorious history. English Premier League is the platform that I want to be and hopefully is that I continue to play in that division.”

- Gylfi Sigurdsson

Certainly new Liverpool manager Rodgers hopes to get the chance to bring the brightest young star of his Swansea side to Anfield.

“Gylfi came to Swansea because I was there as manager and his scoring record was fantastic, I pushed the club to make an agreement to sign Sigurðsson permanently and they did that in terms of the fee – and agreed the salary.”

“So I have said to Huw [Jenkins, Swansea chairman]: ‘I’m not going to do anything untoward. This is a guy you want, but it is down to Gylfi’. If he comes on the market I have to be interested. He knows that I rate his qualities and abilities. ”

“I said to Huw: ‘If I speak to the kid, I’ll tell him to speak to the new manager, whoever that is’. But if he’s not comfortable with that, he’s in the market place then – and I have to look at him.”

-Brendan Rodgers

Playing Style:
    Sigurðsson is an interesting player – a combination of midfielder and forward in the one package. He can certainly finish, as his 7 Premier League goals attest, yet he has so much more to his game than that. Passing, set pieces, long range shooting, poachers’ goals, dribbles – Sigurðsson has a little bit of everything.

Supremely suited to Rodgers’ tactical system as the only vertically-minded midfielder of the central trio, Sigurðsson keeps possession well like the majority of Swansea players do. But he is the one most responsible for penetration. Whereas Britton and Allen focus predominantly on recycling possession and keeping the ball moving, Sigurðsson is the midfielder most likely to execute an attacking move, be it a shot, a run or a well-weighted forward pass.

In terms of playing style, Sigurðsson to me strongly resembles Steven Gerrard, or at least the attacking portion of the skipper’s game. Certainly he’s nowhere near as versatile, dynamic, nor as defensively gifted as our Captain Fantastic. Yet his stature, and the way he glides through defences before confidently unleashing long-distance bombs has more than a touch of ‘the Stevies’ to it.

Gylfi vs Stevie:

Stats-Gylfi1-1024x166.jpg

Continuing the comparison to Gerrard, it’s clear that Sigurðsson’s attacking quality is similar based on statistics posted last season. Interestingly both players took part in only 18 Premier League games last season – undoubtedly Gerrard’s performances were curbed this season by injury. The Liverpool Captain also had a deeper role with less scope in attack than his Icelandic counterpart, and was furthermore part of a team that statistically had less of the ball. Liverpool’s woes in the penalty box are also a contributing factor – many of the chances created by Gerrard were spurned by our misfiring forward line. Gylfi has slightly better passing stats than Gerrard, which is unsurprising given Swansea’s preeminence with possession play. Conversely, Gerrard converted a better percentage of his scoring opportunities, most likely assisted by his slightly better shot accuracy.

The two statistics at the end of the chart above were designed to measure how effective either player had been – hopefully a balanced portrayal of how busy they’d been on the field, how involved they were in the play. For the MPAC (Minutes per Attacking Contribution) rating, I divided the number of minutes played by the key attacking contributions each player had made (shots, chances created – things that cause goals to be scored) to see how often each player was involved in a potential scoring situation. This number gives us an idea of the threat each player carried throughout the season. Significantly, Sigurðsson was able to shoot or create a scoring chance for another player as often as every 12.4 minutes on average. Gerrard, from his deeper position, still carried a potential threat every 20.3 minutes.

The second value MPQAC is adjusted for quality, calculated only using shots that were actually on target. I made this modification to try and reflect if there was a clear quality difference between the two players – is one of them just a hard worker who gets a lot of shots away? Is there a clear difference in their ability to produce quality shots and chances regularly?

Quality of play is extremely important in a team aiming to establish itself as a true force in European football. For example, Charlie Adam is a very busy player, he racks up statistics at a phenomenal rate. But being involved in play a lot doesn’t reflect the variable quality of his involvement – Charlie would regularly produce both the sublime and the ridiculous in any given passage of play.

The MPQAC calculation sees both Gerrard and Sigurðsson maintain healthy numbers, with Sigurðsson’s actual goal threat at a respectable 20.5 minutes. From central midfield, Gerrard needed 30.4 minutes to create or fashion for himself a quality scoring opportunity.

Even if Sigurðsson signs, Gerrard must regularly play closer to goal in the next campaign. We are underutilizing a marquee attacking weapon, one whose individual talent can decide matches. Such wastage must be minimized if the Rodgers Revival is to be as successful as we all hope. Meanwhile, Sigurðsson could provide more-than-adequate cover for the skipper, and afford the manager the luxury of picking and choosing carefully when to unleash Gerrard, potentially minimizing injuries and keeping him fresh for the entire campaign.

How Gylfi Scores Goals:

Goal-Sections-1024x444.jpg

To get the data for the following analysis, I watched all of Sigurðsson’s goals for Hoffenheim and Swansea, tallying up which foot was used, where the ball was struck from, and what area of the goal the ball entered.

Immediately we can see a clear pattern with Sigurðsson’s goal placement. 60% of the goals analyzed were placed in the right-hand third of the goal, while 40% of his goals were scored in the bottom corners, the location which is hardest for goalkeepers to protect.

SoccerField-300x233.jpg

In terms of range, Sigurðsson scores an amazing 40% of his goals from outside of the penalty area. His ability to score directly from free kicks is certainly a factor in inflating this stat – 25% of the goals analyzed were set piece strikes. He has a shooting accuracy of 64% from dead-ball situations, while he maintains an exceptional 55% accuracy when shooting from beyond 18 yards. Quite simply, the kid is a cannon, aim and fire.

While the current Liverpool squad boasts more decent set piece takers than we’ve had in recent years, we still lack a regular goal threat from free kicks, so a dead-ball scorer would be of great benefit to the team.

55% of Gylfi’s goals were scored in the box, demonstrating he has the engine and the intelligence to get himself free in optimal scoring positions. His interplay around the area is high quality, with quite a few of his goals coming from multi-pass moves or even clever 1-2s with overlapping teammates running in support. While he’s not the quickest in terms of pace, his touch is silky, and he thinks at lightning speed, always causing problems for defenders.

Sigurðsson scored 90% of his goals with his trusty right boot, although his instinctive left-footed curler against Blackburn in April shows he’s far more than a one-foot-wonder. He also had a headed goal to his name, while a couple of confidently converted penalties from his time in the Bundesliga demonstrate both his calmness and his courage.

Verdict:
    I’m strongly in favour of signing Gylfi Sigurðsson. He is a perfect “halfway” transfer target – good cover for Gerrard, but crucially further along in his development than Shelvey. He already understands the manager’s philosophy, has proven he is good enough in the league, and adds the vital goals from midfield we sorely lacked in our last league campaign.

With a rumoured fee of only £6.8m, and at 22 years of age, there is very little downside to a move like this. Snap him up, Brendan.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭slingerz

I think Liverpool badly need some signings to put a bit of sunshine into the place. I agree with Kess that there are a number of good players available at the moment that they could pick up relatively cheaply to improve the squad. Diame on a free would be a good addition as would Sigurdsson for 7 million.

Some tricky pacy wide players and a finisher would be nice as well as some defensive reinformcements! a whole new team actually!!

I cant agree with any of this.

We saw what happened to Reina's performance when Rafa left.

Having a formation that allows for a quick release of the ball out to the wings is very important and Reina's throws are very accurate.

I believe/hope that Rodgers will get the best out of him

You cannot limit that to just Reina. Thats merely telling part of the story to suit an argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I`m quite surprised to see so many of you guys keen to sign Adam Johnson. Sure,he`s a half decent footballer but like all young English players he`s ridiculously overrated.
    Surely we got our fill of stings buying ridiculously overrated English players last year...

On a separate note I don`t think Sterling has been mentioned here since Rodgers got the job. How do ye think he`d get on in Rodgers style of play?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

I`m quite surprised to see so many of you guys keen to sign Adam Johnson. Sure,he`s a half decent footballer but like all young English players he`s ridiculously overrated.
    Surely we got our fill of stings buying ridiculously overrated English players last year...

On a separate note I don`t think Sterling has been mentioned here since Rodgers got the job. How do ye think he`d get on in Rodgers style of play?

He would play the same role as sinclair/dyer. Would suit him down to the ground.

Why do you think he's overrated? I and others happen to think he's an excellent footballer, and an excellent winger.

He has pace, trickery, an eye for goal and a god crosser of the ball. He played a large part of Man City's season, and is an England international.
    Nothing overrated at all. He's a quality player.

• Advertisement

ASOT wrote: »
    He would play the same role as sinclair/dyer. Would suit him down to the ground.

Yeah,i thought it would suit him. It`d be great to see him in the team more next season. Hell of an exciting prospect.

Why do you think he's overrated? I and others happen to think he's an excellent footballer, and an excellent winger.

He has pace, trickery, an eye for goal and a god crosser of the ball. He played a large part of Man City's season, and is an England international.
    Nothing overrated at all. He's a quality player.

Most of his attributes that you describe there could have been used to describe Stewart Downing before we bought him.

Do you think he was a good buy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,267 ✭✭✭opr

He's quite funny.

Duncan Jenkins' guide to Euro 2012
    Hullo and welcome to Duncan Jenkins’ introduction to euro 2012, with me Duncan Jenkins.

As the heavy metal group Bon Jovi once sang, it is now “the final countdown” to the tournament which starts this friday. football fever is on everyone’s lips, just like a nasty coleslaw. like coleslaws, football fever is highly contagious and the build up to a major international tournament is as good as it gets for a football fan.

My coverage

Covering international tournaments can be tricky for a perspiring journalist like myself. Most top journo’s will be covering the tournament live and direct from Poland and the Ukraines, while others will be working from there employers office at worst.

Favourites

Germany are many experts tip to lift the trophy. the squad is packed full of germans - plus loads of poles, a turk and a ghanian - will be better equipped to win this time having lost the euro 2008 final to eventual winners Spain, who went on to win the tournament and removed a massive monkey from around there neck in the process.

Scorer of the winning goal that day was Fernando Torres, who at the time was arguably the finest number 9 (real, not false) in the world. he has since literally become a wolf in cheap clothing, and his painful slide into a Bolivian has been well documented. he is expected to lead Spain’s attack but i wont let that put me off and my £2 pound each way will certainly be going on los riojas.

Thirty years of hurt never stopped me bleeding

Another trophy would be the coup de tat for the little Spaniards, completing a hat-trick of concessive tournament wins.

England go into the proverbial competition led by the eloquacious and much fetid Roy Hodgson, but it has not been plane sailing for the former oddevold manager.

The presence of J.T in the squad has caused real controversy but the England fans will do well to get behind there defensive leader. I dont want to be too harsh on him, but J.T is definately to blame for absolutely everything. He is undoubtably a massive idiot but his presents cannot be allowed to disrupt the cameradderie of the squad. great banter is absolutely key to the success of any team.

The lads will be based in a placed called crackoff, which is in Poland, yet they play all three games in the Ukraines, which is almost certainly another country entirely.

This has to go down as another own goal by the increasingly hatless F.A.

England is represented in the referees pool by Howard Webb and his team of lino’s. here at home Webbs' is often accused of being bias towards Manchester United due to the fact he is the son of former United midfielder Neil Webb. however since United have not entered the tournament this is unlikely to become an issue.

Fans

Thankfully these days football tournaments normally pass off without incident but there has been some concern since the recent panoranarama documentary about disgusting racist nutters in Poland and Ukraine. there is expected to be a large police presence to insure the safety of fans, but this can sometimes be taken the wrong way by hooligans who enjoy throwing tables and chairs at police. that is bang out of order and it is important to remember that the police are not there to create disorder, they are there to preserve disorder.

Conclusion

That concludes my introduction to euro 2012.

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/news/3284/euro-2012/2012/06/08/3156515/duncan-jenkins-guide-to-euro-2012

Opr

Most of his attributes that you describe there could have been used to describe Stewart Downing before we bought him.

Oh right, so we shouldn't buy players in case they decide to play crap for us??

Anyway, I wouldn't have bought Downing when we did. 2/3 years ago certainly.

And Johnson is, and always has been a much better player than Downing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Panoranarama

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

NO ENGLISH PLAYERS

Maybe I should make a sign to really drill this into people's skulls...

Oh right, so we shouldn't buy players in case they decide to play crap for us??

Anyway, I wouldn't have bought Downing when we did. 2/3 years ago certainly.

And Johnson is, and always has been a much better player than Downing.

I`ve never rated Downing and was gutted when we bought him. I`m ten times more gutted now I can tell you.

And yes,i`d agree Johnson is a better player than him but still way overrated.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭cianisgood

haha look at the tags ''scouselona''

That's mine! :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,508 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Thats a funny line of thinking!

I'm in EUROs mode so can't really get too worried about Liverpool issues at the moment but I actually feel more optimistic about Downing than I do about Henderson or Carroll.

Its only one season ago that Downing had an excellent time of it and I am inclined to think (or maybe believe!) that the season just past was a blip.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement