Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread 11/12 MOD POST #1130

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭mav79

Whatever about replacing a battling defender like Skrtel, it would be nearly impossible to find a defender like Agger nevermind convincing them to join the club. Very few defenders are as comfortable coming out of defence with the ball.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Leiva wrote: »
    I think (ok maybe hope) that he seems to be over the niggling injuries.
    This season was more bad luck than anything .

Getting two broken ribs within a couple of months of each other was stinking bad luck.

It's not bad luck. It's the sign of a guy who is made of glass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

It's not bad luck. It's the sign of a guy who is made of glass.

I disagree and would be far more concerned if he was picking up hamstring injuries or knee injuries or the like. A couple of broken ribs does not mean there is any underlying problems whereas is he kept getting muscle or tendon injuries there may be something more serious causing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

redzerdrog wrote: »
    I disagree and would be far more concerned if he was picking up hamstring injuries or knee injuries or the like. A couple of broken ribs does not mean there is any underlying problems whereas is he kept getting muscle or tendon injuries there may be something more serious causing them.

If a knock in the ribs means they break then that is not a good sign, especially at centre back. The fact he's broken them means they'll be more susceptible to breaking in the future as well. Not sure if he's broken the same rib twice or different ones.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

Agger is quite slim as centre backs go so doesn't have huge muscle mass to protect the ribs so will always be a bit more prone to having them broken. But the flipside is, if he was built more like a traditional CB he'd probably never have had to develop his technique as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

Agger, by all accounts doesn't have it in him to play 60 games a season. He is however one of the best center backs in the world so you have to manage him and use him right.

The system Rodgers will be trying to implement will need Agger playing at the heart of it, he'll be vital. So i don't expect to see much of Agger in the mickey mouse cups next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Kess73 wrote: »
    Totally agree it would be stupid to let them go, especially Hummels, but then again if you told me at the start of last season that Kagawa would refuse to extend his contract at Dortmund and would move to United for £12m (not including potential add ons), I would have said no chance.

Mind you the £12m for Kagawa is a massive profit on what was paid for him only two years ago, over £11.6m profit.

Is it not £12m plus addons that could bring it to £18m? It could still be excellent value given his age though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

5starpool wrote: »
    Is it not £12m plus addons that could bring it to £18m? It could still be excellent value given his age though.

I did say in my post that the fee was £12m not including the potential add ons.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Kess73 wrote: »
    Totally agree it would be stupid to let them go, especially Hummels, but then again if you told me at the start of last season that Kagawa would refuse to extend his contract at Dortmund and would move to United for £12m (not including potential add ons), I would have said no chance.

Mind you the £12m for Kagawa is a massive profit on what was paid for him only two years ago, over £11.6m profit.

When Kagawa first came out with that, everyone at Borussia Dortmund was pretty surprised. He was well liked by his team mates and the fans, but I guess, the signing of Reus was the deciding factor. At least, he gave everything for the club until the end.

• Advertisement

Lars1916 wrote: »
    When Kagawa first came out with that, everyone at Borussia Dortmund was pretty surprised. He was well liked by his team mates and the fans, but I guess, the signing of Reus was the deciding factor. At least, he gave everything for the club until the end.

That he did. Nobody can say that his final season was not a very good one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Sturridge is a terribly selfish player and got very predictable very quickly. Gets the ball, runs with it and shoots. And that shooting is from anywhere.

Seems to have an attitude as well. And is all about the money.

he is striker. they are meant to be selfish. If we get him it would be a brilliant signing. he would get us 15-20 goals easy. he is quick, good technically. Where you getting the attitude thing from?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

Luis Suárez has just scored for Uruguay. He now needs only 5 goals to become the all time top-scorer for Uruguay. El Pistolero. -- Eziz Allamov (@EzizAllamov)

Good man Luis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Luis Suárez has just scored for Uruguay. He now needs only 5 goals to become the all time top-scorer for Uruguay. El Pistolero. -- Eziz Allamov (@EzizAllamov)

Good man Luis

I think the goal was awarded to Coates

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭missingtime

You are right. My twitter feed was behind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,720 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

Awesome. Love to hear that Coates is doing well. Hopefully he gets a lot more games under Buck.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,856 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Awesome. Love to hear that Coates is doing well. Hopefully he gets a lot more games under Buck.

His name is Brendan ffs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

@FormidableRed: Luis Suárez' daughter is called Delfina, if you rearrange the letters in her name, you can spell 'Anfield'.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

Finished 4-2, Coates with the first goal. Love Suarez reaction -

596368839.jpg?key=660439&Expires=1339358791&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=njfuIFOgjjCf-eEuo-BNsri9YLfOMhfd41oU~BPqdUKlef5L31Elc5hI~gnrzCsUVmxvajr5mSPGZvjbNGdDLUfRpOCKlnK51eTk80UQRXLKIu2rygWVtUpDk1HuuySlCMKFlQHVzVTaRWv19L6-uYHZU8RC5rvu8r07cXazkTQ_

Screamer and fairly reserved commentary if I do say myself -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,824 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

-Ade- wrote: »
    Finished 4-2, Coates with the first goal. Love Suarez reaction -

596368839.jpg?key=660439&Expires=1339358791&Key-Pair-Id=APKAIYVGSUJFNRFZBBTA&Signature=njfuIFOgjjCf-eEuo-BNsri9YLfOMhfd41oU%7EBPqdUKlef5L31Elc5hI%7EgnrzCsUVmxvajr5mSPGZvjbNGdDLUfRpOCKlnK51eTk80UQRXLKIu2rygWVtUpDk1HuuySlCMKFlQHVzVTaRWv19L6-uYHZU8RC5rvu8r07cXazkTQ_

Screamer and fairly reserved commentary if I do say myself -

People criticize Coates for some of his mistakes, but they seem to forget that he is young. Next year might be too early, but the year after that, I can definitely see him becoming a first choice centre back for us, assuming that one of Skrtel/Agger is moved on. He has all the raw attributes to be a great defender, he just needs game time and the chance to play with an experienced partner in defence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

he's a real gem, Coates.

• Advertisement

People criticize Coates for some of his mistakes, but they seem to forget that he is young. Next year might be too early, but the year after that, I can definitely see him becoming a first choice centre back for us, assuming that one of Skrtel/Agger is moved on. He has all the raw attributes to be a great defender, he just needs game time and the chance to play with an experienced partner in defence.

Good point but can somebody please tell me, or show me these mistakes that Coates is accused of making ?

I remember a mistake (against Swansea I think) but that's about it .

But people go on like he makes a crap load of mistakes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

He was at fault for WBA's goal in the CC as well iirc. Recovered very well for the rest of the game which is a good sign in itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,407 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Very excited about Coates, he seems really eager to fit into the squad, can score goals too which is a nice bonus :)

Daemonic wrote: »
    He was at fault for WBA's goal in the CC as well iirc. Recovered very well for the rest of the game which is a good sign in itself.
    Made a mistake against Stoke at the start of the season that led to Jones scoring as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Daemonic wrote: »
    Made a mistake against Stoke at the start of the season that led to Jones scoring as well...

It was the cc against Stoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,904 ✭✭✭✭klose

His goal against qpr makes up for whatever mistakes he made. Good god what a goal!!

Super-Rush wrote: »
    It was the cc against Stoke.

So I was right he made one mistake in his first 30mins as a LFC player .

Can we drop all this talk then as if he is making mistakes week-in-week-out

I see we are being linked to Daniel Sturridge in the papers today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Why the sad face?

I think he's a cracking player. Could be a new Andy Cole with the right coaching...

Vicxas wrote: »
    Very excited about Coates, he seems really eager to fit into the squad, can score goals too which is a nice bonus :)

He's a monster, in the way that Sami was. Soto game us a little of that presence from set pieces, but Dani and Skittles never really have. I would love to see a CB pairing of him and Dani for a spell...

• Advertisement

With the Hulk on the way I think all we are seeing some smart drip feeding of rumour to the press .

Sturridge to Liverpool would be an ideal situation for Chelsea as it would probably mean most of the fee could come from the owed Torres money.

I don't but for a second that he is on Rodgers radar.

Leiva wrote: »
    With the Hulk on the way I think all we are seeing some smart drip feeding of rumour to the press .

Sturridge to Liverpool would be an ideal situation for Chelsea as it would probably mean most of the fee could come from the owed Torres money.

I don't but for a second that he is on Rodgers radar.

Yep I think it would be a better deal for Chelsea than for Liverpool tbh. Sturridge has plenty of physical qualities. He has genuine speed, is strong, is fairly tricky skillwise, has a hell of a left footed shot, and those physical qualities mean that he can fill a few roles in a team. But he is not a clever player, in fact I would say in terms of positioning, reading the game, using teammates etc that he is a pretty stupid player, and he has a very similar head down mentality that Milan Baros still has to this day.

And that head down mentality is one that players who rely on their physical qualities rarely shake. Look at Baros as a prime example. He is now 30 and his style has not changed one little bit. He is still a pretty quick player, he is still a player with good technical skills, but he is still as dumb as mud in terms of positioning, bringing others into the game, anticipation etc. Playing with better players and under good managers has had no impact on his style at all. Sturridge strikes me as being the same type of player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

I thought we had agreed that Liverpool\Chelsea transfers are a very bad thing in general?
    But hey, if you want to reunite, the dream team of Sturridge and Kalou - be my guest! Obviously you havent had enough torture and suffering!
    (Plus you can drag out all these excuses you made for Torres and that you passed onto us!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

If Sturridge was got for 10-12m i'd be happy enough. If only cause it would bring some actuall pace to the side. We have NONE of that. He's a good player and i don't think he's as lacking in awareness as others seem to, more that he's just a very selfish player on the pitch. That can be coached out of players.

I thought we had agreed that Liverpool\Chelsea transfers are a very bad thing in general?
    But hey, if you want to reunite, the dream team of Sturridge and Kalou - be my guest! Obviously you havent had enough torture and suffering!
    (Plus you can drag out all these excuses you made for Torres and that you passed onto us!)

You try to send Sturridge to Anfield, and I will leave Joe Cole in a cardboard box inside Stamford Bridge. :pac:

Would be much happier if you lot hung onto Sturridge or sold him to some other team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Isn't Sturridge pretty much cut out for Harry Redknapp and Spurs? It's been at least a couple of months since he signed a "triffic, triffic prospect".

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Isn't Sturridge pretty much cut out for Harry Redknapp and Spurs? It's been at least a couple of months since he signed a "triffic, triffic prospect".
    Hold on now he did sign Ryan Nelson in January. :pac:

Dickerty wrote: »
    Why the sad face?

I think he's a cracking player. Could be a new Andy Cole with the right coaching...
    He's a good player, but I think he's in the Darren Bent/Jermaine Defoe mould of just not being quite good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,286 ✭✭✭slingerz

Sturridge would add serious pace. One of the qualities that Liverpool are sorely lacking in especially up top. For relative fee he would be a good addition to the squad. Same goes for Adam Johnson.

Dont spend £50 million on the pair but if you got both for £25/30 million then you'd be doing well. Adding them and Sigurdsson would improve the attacking threats a hell of a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,206 ✭✭✭✭amiable

Daniel Sturridge seems to have an attitude problem and at £15 million I think we can do better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

amiable wrote: »
    Daniel Sturridge seems to have an attitude problem and at £15 million I think we can do better.
    He seems the type of player B Rod can turn into a proper player. Hes got ability, change of attitude and good coaching could sort out his play..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Sturridge?

Johnson?

ugh....

1. their heart would not be in it. not the type of players we need to be looking at if we're spending good money.

2. i'm begging us to be linked with players outside the British Isles. we've been burned before people! and not that long ago!

I agree on Johnson, not on Sturridge. He's only 22, he's big AND quick, and he showed on loan at Bolton last year that he can get goals - 8 in 12 matches, including 4 in his first 4 games there, in a struggling side. I am sure he went to Chelsea partly for the money, but he was a 19 year old kid, who can blame him?

I don't see a big downside here. It's clear we need other striking options, and he'd have good resale value because he's English and young. But I think he would work out for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

SlickRic wrote: »
    1. their heart would not be in it. not the type of players we need to be looking at if we're spending good money.

You can't be sure of that and tbh it's a fairly dismissive thing to say about a player imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,370 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

PaulieC wrote: »
    You can't be sure of that and tbh it's a fairly dismissive thing to say about a player imo

ok, i'll have to put "IMO" into all of my posts so people don't think i'm sure about things.

that's my impression of the two of them, especially Sturridge. very talented, but his attitude really does seem to be questionable.

Johnson maybe less so. my issue with him is his work ethic. i'm pretty sure Mancini has issues with him because of that, and that would make me wary, though he's obviously better than anything we have on the wings right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

SlickRic wrote: »
    2. i'm begging us to be linked with players outside the British Isles. we've been burned before people! and not that long ago!

if a player is good enough he is good enough. it doesn't matter where is from. I think anything under 15 million is amazing value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

slingerz wrote: »
    Sturridge would add serious pace. One of the qualities that Liverpool are sorely lacking in especially up top. For relative fee he would be a good addition to the squad. Same goes for Adam Johnson.

"Joe Cole would be a great signing for Liverpool. A creative outlet in the final third, head and shoulders better than Riera/Benayoun/Babel. And the only cost is wages. People would be crazy to turn that down"

"The likes of Konchesky will prove to be a decent signing for Liverpool. Similarly someone like Kevin Doyle would give a much needed option up front."

"How can everyone say Poulsen sucks when he hasnt kicked a ball in anger for Liverpool?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

We've enough stupid footballers as it is.

Same as with pretty much any other position - we can get better for less on the continent.

I'd rather we took a position of buying no english players over the age of about 16.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The kid played his best football under Villas Boas, as a wing forward. Usually more often than not he did so on the right side. Yet, he still whined, moaned and complained about it all too regularly.

Pace aside which we most certainly need. Do we want to pay the inevitable premium price for an English player with a questionable attitude and whom from what I gather, the fans at least here would like to see on the right wing but they player wouldn't?

Rather we looked outside of England.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

amiable wrote: »

He got 8 goals in 12 games for Bolton playing through the middle and got 13 goals last season from almost exclusively playing out wide.

He's 22 going on 23 and I think there's a really good chance of him being able to get 20-25 goals a season for the next few years if played through the middle.

IMO for £15m he'd be fantastic value, but I'd be very surprised if Chelsea let him go. I take your point that he does seem to have some attitude problems though.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement