Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Very loud PS3 60GB

Options
  • 21-05-2012 9:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭

Hi All
    I've notices my ps3 fan has begun to sound like it's trying to actually lift the damn console off the tv stand.
    The usual story, quiet after starting up, give it 15 mins and its louder, put a movie/game on and you're shouting at other people in the room.
    Watched some videos on youtube, recommending raising it up a few inches, others saying to stand it on its side, others just saying to replace the fan with a more powerful/quieter one.
    I love my 60gb but have just bough a new tv and I watch a lot of movies streamed from my laptop through it but it's becoming quite annoying.
    Also if it is a thing that I need the fan upgraded, are there places/people (possibly in the Galway area :)) who could do it.... I'm afraid for humanity any time I hold a screwdriver

Regards

HB

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭ancuncha

sounds to me like the thermal paste need replacing, it's a paste that goes between the processor and the heat sink (a metal block that dissipates the heat)
    the paste transfers the heat across to the heat sink, so the processor is heating up and bringing on the fans but it's not getting cooled properly

best thing to do is bring it to a repair place, i know there are some in galway i can't remember where

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭hamsterboy

Cheers for that
    Would THIS be the procedure for sorting it, as it doesn't look TOO scary!!

Cheers Again

HB

that would be it, be careful you don't want to wind up with an expensive paper weight

i know it worked on mine, if you do try it be sure to blow off all the dust on the inside

Well I did it, well me and a mate.
    Funny thing is, now even though it's not as loud as it was, it's still louder than it should be.
    I doubt we did anything wrong, was actually easier than I thought
    Is there anythin else that could be causing this???

Cheers

HB

is it still coming on too quickly?
    is there a rough sound to the fan when it's going

• Advertisement

It's not coming on as soon as it was but still shouldn't be as loud as it is.
    No the fan doesn't sound rough or anything, sounds like the fan should sound, just is on way too much at higher rpm's

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 5,781 ✭✭✭eddhorse

Have you hoovered the vents ?

Maybe a dust build up, might help without having to spend much.

eddhorse wrote: »
    Have you hoovered the vents ?

Maybe a dust build up, might help without having to spend much.
    Cheers but I did hoover then while I had the thing apart :(

HB

the fan should have different speed, seems like yours is on high all the time

might be the fan or the temp sensor

i don't know, you'll have to google it, most say it's the paste

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

Give it the last rites.

• Advertisement

Chavways wrote: »
    Give it the last rites.

NEVER!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

I've had the same problem with my 40GB one since the day I got it. It eventually gave up and I got the yellow light of death, done the heat gun trick, added new paste and it lasted a week then, fixed it again without any thermal paste and it's going fine.

Tried a good few things but just can't get the fan any quieter.

Holsten wrote: »
    I've had the same problem with my 40GB one since the day I got it. It eventually gave up and I got the yellow light of death, done the heat gun trick, added new paste and it lasted a week then, fixed it again without any thermal paste and it's going fine.

Tried a good few things but just can't get the fan any quieter.

Hey
    How'd ye mean "without thermal paste"?
    You just didn't replace it or you now have no paste on the CPU and GPU?

Regards

HB

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Holsten

The first time I replaced the stock paste with new stuff, and it only lasted a week before the yellow light of death came back.

The second time I fixed it, I cleaned off all of the paste and didn't replace it with anything, the PlayStation as been working fine now for a month but with the usual extremely loud fan.

Oh right, cheers.
    I'm no expert but I think there HAS to be paste there to divert the heat from the chips.... could be wrong though.
    My solution is to just TURN UP THE DAMN TV!!!! :)

HB

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 538 ✭✭✭little big planet 2

mine just did this for the first time right there i panicked and turned it off could it be the heat we're having recently

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Just hoover it.I get this ever summer on my release day Ps3.

Get the hoover out and suck all that dust out and it`ll quiten it down--well at least make it longer before the fan kicks in.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Just hoover it.I get this ever summer on my release day Ps3.

Get the hoover out and suck all that dust out and it`ll quiten it down--well at least make it longer before the fan kicks in.

See this^^^this post was a jinx.Ps3 just gave up an hour ago.Wont turn on.3 beeps and then a flashing red light.

Im so pissed right now that I want to bounce it off a wall!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good reballing company inthe Kildare/Dublin area that does a proper job??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Consolepro's are the only ones I know of doing a reball

See this^^^this post was a jinx.Ps3 just gave up an hour ago.Wont turn on.3 beeps and then a flashing red light.

Im so pissed right now that I want to bounce it off a wall!!!!!!

Anyone know of a good reballing company inthe Kildare/Dublin area that does a proper job??

Sorry to hear dude.
    I opened mine AGAIN and used a better grade of paste.
    Now it's never higher than level 2 fanwise.
    Best of luck with the reball

HB

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jimbobjoeyman

hamsterboy wrote: »
    Sorry to hear dude.
    I opened mine AGAIN and used a better grade of paste.
    Now it's never higher than level 2 fanwise.
    Best of luck with the reball

HB

on a ps3 its hardy ever the paste on top of the ihs that goes dry.
    Im presuming you only changed the paste on top of the ihs.
    But the is also paste under the IHS between the ihs and the chip dies on both the cpu and gpu.

Im presuming you didnt change this paste ?
    Its usually the blame to a loud fan if its not BGA related

Could be also that your ps3 is on the way out

EDIT-
    Using a hoover to clean your console is an extremely bad idea due to static build up,
    You could kill something in the console doing this

Heres a question.

As you know my ps3 has given up and console pros have given me a quote of €100 for a complete reball.

Not sure if I want to spend that on a reball to be honest so what Im thinking is popping it up on adverts as is and either picking up a new/used slim.

What I want to know is-do I take the hard drive out of it before selling??

All my CC details/psn logins/netflix logins etc are on the console and I dont want someone getting it fixed and having access to all my details as a reball doesnt affect data on the drive.

I cant even wipe the drive since it wont switch on.

So whats best practice selling a Rlod console??

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,298 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Heres a question.

As you know my ps3 has given up and console pros have given me a quote of €100 for a complete reball.

Not sure if I want to spend that on a reball to be honest so what Im thinking is popping it up on adverts as is and either picking up a new/used slim.

What I want to know is-do I take the hard drive out of it before selling??

Definitely remove the HD.
    All my CC details/psn logins/netflix logins etc are on the console and I dont want someone getting it fixed and having access to all my details as a reball doesnt affect data on the drive.

I cant even wipe the drive since it wont switch on.

So whats best practice selling a Rlod console??

If someone bought it "as is" and somehow got it working, they would then have access to all you data.

Thanks for that Fingers.

Any idea what I should be asking?

Have the ps3,2 controllers,1 move controller and about 10 games.

Thinking of putting the lot up on adverts and buying a Vita--Use the Pc mainly for gaming these days and the vita might be just down my street :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

It's worth noting that a proper reball from consolepro's should outlast any used PS3...& maybe even new ones. They remove all the lead free solder that has shipped in PS3's from day 1 & continues to do so today, with proper leaded solder which can take the thermal stresses better.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 BranDEAD

It seems that you need a new coat of termal paste on the CPU , its actualy easy enough, u can find tutorials online :D , just make sure that u clean the CPU of the original past completly before putting the new one on , hope that helped :)

Advertisement