Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piranha

Options
  • 21-05-2012 9:49am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭

Looking to start a Piranha tank soon..is there any particular breed i should avoid from the point of view of growing too large?

Also,anybody have a recomendation on where to get the fish?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Why are you going for those? They are meant to be very boring

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

godtabh wrote: »
    Why are you going for those? They are meant to be very boring

Not at feeding time!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

Don't know too much about them but they're known to be very boring, as godtabh said. Red bellies seem to be fairly easily available, Seahorse has them or can get them for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Seahorse have them, but I too have heard they're not very interesting; skittish, shy, and like it pretty dark.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dar926

I kept Red Belly Piranha for years and found them great fish to keep, one thing i will say is to give them plenty of space as they do get big. Also i would suggest to keep them in groups of 4 or more to share the aggression, In the wild they tolerate each other in Big schools for feeding but generally they dont get on. If you keep two they will end up fighting , I kept four and never had any problems. a good filtration system is also recommended due to the diet. Also Piranha also get stressed if the tank lights are left on all the time and are a very nervous fish, all things to consider before buying your fish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 reverselogic

No idea which breeds you should avoid, but I've seen them in Aquatic Village in Brittas. I hadn't realised that they were piranha's until one of the staff dropped a dead goldfish into the "tank of death". Awesome! :D

The Dunlaoghaire Pet Shop on Patrick Street have some nice Piranha at the minute. Was surprised to see a small Arowana in there today for 30 euro

• Registered Users Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

dar926 wrote: »
    The Dunlaoghaire Pet Shop on Patrick Street have some nice Piranha at the minute. Was surprised to see a small Arowana in there today for 30 euro

Have they still got 'Joey the one eyed' red belly?

Joe the one eye Piranha was in Fintastic Aquatics used to be in the back of the Pet store but moved to the opposite side of the road.. I was told in store that he died due to illness :( the guy told me that he came in as a baby mixed with a batch of neon tetra by mistake and they kept him for 8 years or so..

dar926 wrote: »

Howmuch are the piranha do you know?

An Arowana is some monster of a fish..you'd nearly need a swimming pool when the things starts to grow!

• Advertisement

As far as I know they are 25/30 euro.. their fairly big so its good value. also Newlands garden centre usually has red bellies for 25 euro

Righto. After listening to advice from on here and also in the various shops i visted i decided not to bother with the piranhas and got some chiclids instead..a breeding pair of convicts,some big ugly-looking thing and a jack dempsey.

They're already eating bloodworms!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Convicts breed a lot. Get ready for lots of fry.

Convicts breed a lot. Get ready for lots of fry.

Thats what yer man in the shop said..will the adults et them? what shoud i do them?

I had young parents and werent very good a looking after them. As the get older the get better

Your JD will probably pick off a few

I had young parents and werent very good a looking after them. As the get older the get better

Your JD will probably pick off a few

Sorry for all the questions but can i expect them to survive into adulthood and will i need to get a seperate tank for the juvies?

Degsy wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions but can i expect them to survive into adulthood and will i need to get a seperate tank for the juvies?

Depends on tank size and tank mates.

If you want to rear them but them into another tank. If not let them take their chances

Advertisement