Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

• 21-05-2012 10:06am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Was a good craic, mostly the same as an Irish wedding.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Walked back over and told the guy in a very friendly way

"Hey look, you shouldn't say that sort of thing to people, its a bit racist"

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

I just thought 'for f&ck sake' and went to bed.

Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 823 ✭✭✭who what when

A fist between the eyes probably would have been no harm!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

I would have just laughed condescendingly. Would have wound him up now end.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

A fist between the eyes probably would have been no harm!

Yep, drunken violence is definitely the best response in the face of negative Irish stereotypes.

• Registered Users Posts: 936 ✭✭✭leggit

I'd be more in the "couldn't give a f*ck" camp when it comes to this kind of thing, just a drunk moron being a drunk moron.

Not racism either btw

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Been to England a few times and never had any hassle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭crusher000

Yes over 11 years ago on holidays in Turkey. Was there for two weeks,first week met a couple from the north and we got on great. I knew by his surname and the chats we had he was protestant and he knew me to be a catholic. This was never a problem. Second week got chatting to two couples from England. Everything was sound until they had a view drinks my God couldn't get out of there quick enough. We we're thick micks,paddies and heard one of the woman say under her breath to her friend I hate those fxxxing paddies. What got me was their negative perception of the Irish against the couple from the north whom were just so sound. I thought if anyone would have a gripe against us it would be the couple from the North and would have accepted as that's the way I would have perceived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.

Pot & Kettle? :confused:

Was called a 'fenian bastard' when I was about 10, was wearing my Celtic jersey when on holiday at the time! Two Rangers fans said it to me, they were both about 17 or 18.....nice! :rolleyes:

Also a bunch of us were called 'Paddy ****' by a guy no taller than 4 foot at a race meeting in England before. He said it as he walked past and said it in such a low tone he didn't think we'd hear but I did. Found it hilarious!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Always an element of this.
    I have come across plenty of this in Ireland against English people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭Mr.Biscuits

A Spanish girl once nastied me for being Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Tell him to teach his students we don't live in Southern Ireland

It's not a big deal but they're learning it from somewhere

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

I was playing Pool with my the Husband of my brothers wifes sister whos a rich cnut.

It was before my brothers wedding and he actually said the irish were N*ggers as far as he was concerned.

I was shocked but it was my brothers wedding day so I held my tounge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I've gotten the nasty on the back of being Irish, does that count?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

leggit wrote: »
    I'd be more in the "couldn't give a f*ck" camp when it comes to this kind of thing, just a drunk moron being a drunk moron.

Not racism either btw

It surely was. Calling an Irish person a "mick" is very racist...unless your name is Michael.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Not racism either btw
    How is it not racism? Seems pretty like uninformed bigotry to me.

It was before my brothers wedding and he actually said the irish were N*ggers as far as he was concerned.

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Had a run in with a couple of Rangers fans in Majorca years ago

I was playing Pool with my the Husband of my brothers wifes sister whos a rich cnut.

I was shocked but it was my brothers wedding day so I held my tounge.

Did he say that in the best man's speech? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I've been here about a year now and must admit I've experienced no form of anti-irish attitude from any english people i've come across - quite the opposite in fact. I did have a bit of an anti-dublin altercation with one fine representative of our own nation a couple of months ago though.

Moral of story; you can find arseholes anywhere!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I did get asked if I was a catholic or a protestant by a Northern guy on holidays a few years ago, when I told him I was neither he didnt seem to know how to respond so he just went back to his knuckle dragging friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Never experienced it myself.

Although do occassionally get a bit of nastiness for being from the North when I'm down south.

Have to laugh though at

1. An English person calling someone dumb
    2. An English person telling someone to piss off back where they came from, most of the god damn world have said/wanted to say the same to them at one point or another

• Advertisement

It's us who should feel sorry for the Brits

No red lemonade:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Don't start this **** sayin its racism who cares we slate the English all the time as do most countries we slate are own people aswell
    So give it back as good as ya get

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Enkidu

Don't start this **** sayin its racism who cares we slate the English all the time as do most countries we slate are own people aswell
    So give it back as good as ya get
    Or how about we all stop being bigots instead of responding in kind?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

tried to get a job on the railway line in the USA and this happened....

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

They seem to like us here in London. The only hassle I've got is from culchies hating on me for being from Dublin, but I never took that seriously!

mikemac1 wrote: »

Or tayto!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Keitho_san

You get this sort of stuff everywhere. Not sure where my place is with your issue since I was born in Ireland but of oriental decent. aka Irish/Chinese lolz.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Was at a Chelsea boozer 15 years ago.
    We were told to f**k off back to Kilburn.
    Kilburn is where a lot of Irish people live in London.
    Not nice given the bloke saying it looked like something from a Ray Winstone film.

Keitho_san wrote: »
    You get this sort of stuff everywhere. Not sure where my place is with your issue since I was born in Ireland but of oriental decent. aka Irish/Chinese lolz.

Is your username not more Japanese then Chinese?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭forfuxsake

Keitho_san wrote: »

Something about a paddy field.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yep, once - from an English guy when I was in Majorca. A bunch of English people defended me. :)
    Guy just seemed like an unpleasant dick no matter whom he dealt with tbh.

OP, the guy's first comment seemed like a joke IMO. Second one which you weren't supposed to hear was idiotic, but I personally wouldn't get bothered by it. There's much worse racism.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Was at a Chelsea boozer 15 years ago.
    We were told to f**k off back to Kilburn.
    Kilburn is where a lot of Irish people live in London.
    Not nice given the bloke saying it looked like something from a Ray Winstone film.

Well at least they weren't suggesting you leave the country altogether, just a different part of town, very thoughtful of them for thugs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,527 ✭✭✭Paz-CCFC

When I was travelling before, I took a ferry across the water. We got into Liverpool, and the minute I left the boat, a few scumbag locals copped that I was Irish. I tried to ignore it, but these lads just wouldn't let up. I just lost the rag and ran at them. Probably wasn't the best idea, seeing as I was on my own and there were a group of them. Thankfully, a few lads from Galway saw what was going on and hopped onto them, and I got out with only a few bruises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭Carter P Fly

Do you not get it, lads? The Irish are the blacks of Europe. And Dubliners are the blacks of Ireland. And the Northside Dubliners are the blacks of Dublin. So say it once, say it loud: I'm black and I'm proud.

I shoudl mention I was in philadelphia when this was said!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

we slate the English all the time
    Speak for yourself dude.

Friendly banter is very different to hostility too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

kfallon wrote: »
    Pot & Kettle? :confused:

Was called a 'fenian bastard' when I was about 10, was wearing my Celtic jersey when on holiday at the time! Two Rangers fans said it to me, they were both about 17 or 18.....nice! :rolleyes:

Also a bunch of us were called 'Paddy ****' by a guy no taller than 4 foot at a race meeting in England before. He said it as he walked past and said it in such a low tone he didn't think we'd hear but I did. Found it hilarious!

Probably one of the jockeys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

BraziliaNZ wrote: »
    They seem to like us here in London. The only hassle I've got is from culchies hating on me for being from Dublin, but I never took that seriously!

True. I've had more anti-Dublin nonsense than I had anti-Irish nonsense in the 3 years I lived over there.

I've experienced it twice from 2 English guys here in Spain. Two sadder fookers you couldn't meet. It annoyed me at the time but I'm actually more annoyed with myself for taking anything those two gob****es said to heart.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,533 ✭✭✭Jester252

I was in Spain on a school trip and we were out at a amusement park we were the only ones at the place and the staff was very disproving of us until they found out that we're Irish.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Yep, drunken violence is definitely the best response in the face of negative Irish stereotypes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

So,

Well you have answered your own question. You have had a similar experience albeit you were mistaken for another nationality. Did you also tell the people calling you an English wanker that they were being racist?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭BunShopVoyeur

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

Not racism either btw

It surely was. Calling an Irish person a "mick" is very racist...unless your name is Michael.

It's xenophobia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 101 ✭✭Keitho_san

Is your username not more Japanese then Chinese?
    Yes it is indeed. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

no never really got any trouble to be honest but if i am playing my playstation i love to confuse other irish people by being racist towards the irish. nothing confuses the paddys like being called a mick in an irish accent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

So,

I've never heard an Irish person use the term 'Was a good craic', only non Irish... Is the OP actually Irish?

The correct term would be 'was good craic', 'the craic was good' etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭COYW

And Tayto!!
    theteal wrote: »
    I've been here about a year now and must admit I've experienced no form of anti-irish attitude from any english people i've come across - quite the opposite in fact. I did have a bit of an anti-dublin altercation with one fine representative of our own nation a couple of months ago though.

Moral of story; you can find arseholes anywhere!

Totally, agree. I visit the UK and London in particular regularly and have never had a bad experience there. I was embarrassed to be Irish once, on a train to Brighton when a bunch of Irish teens where running up and down the carriage, screaming about their Irish-ness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

Had a run in with a couple of Rangers fans in Majorca years ago
    Dudess wrote: »
    Yep, once - from an English guy when I was in Majorca.

Hmmmm, I had a few run ins with English guys in Mallorca too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Have to say though, I've generally had really positive reponses in all the countries I've visited and lived in for being Irish, so I can't complain at all. It's kind of a blessing to be Irish really, even if it's probably unjustified a lot of the time.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Enkidu wrote: »
    How is it not racism? Seems pretty like uninformed bigotry to me.
    Oh sure bigotry for sure E, but not really racism as we're the same "race". If the same muppet had muttered "nígger" to a black fellow Englishman it would be racist.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've never heard an Irish person use the term 'Was a good craic', only non Irish... Is the OP actually Irish?

The correct term would be 'was good craic', 'the craic was good' etc...

Nah man, non Irish people say it something like "the crayke was amazing" or "The Irish love the crayke"

The lads hanging around Amsterdam central station have it down to a T though, their mad for the craic.

Sort of like when a German lad walked up to me in cork looking for Meechel Gúinneays

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭BO-JANGLES

BraziliaNZ wrote: »

I'm a Dub and I've lived in many places world wide. Returned home and settled down in the country. Never felt like an outsider so much in my life. Still ablow in after seven years......

• Advertisement
Advertisement