Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 159 ✭✭kermit_the_dog

summerskin wrote: »
    So in your book it's ok to racially abuse me as i was born in the UK?

your out of context aswell as twisting it

was replying to freds implication that the IRA were racist , besides , the IRA were not the irish state , by freds criteria , the british are no less terrorists by way of the actions of the UVF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Look at this, "culturally diverse" means "different skin colour" it seems.

Ireland is more culturally diverse than the UK, as it turns out, with more non-Irish nationals in the country as a percentage of the whole, certainly a hell of a lot more who weren't born here. And if you're trying to say you can only be racist against people with different coloured skin, why did you bother linking to a story about that Polish guy a while back?

And yet here we are, with none of the english problems, no right wing parties, and no extremist politicians, no race riots, and all this in the middle of a serious recession.

yet again, you are not comparing like for like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

mongdesade wrote: »
    I mean, most Irish know The Basque Country and Catalonia are still part of Spain...

My father's side of the family are a mix of Basque & Corsican, he would so slap you for that comment...even though it's true unfortunately :D

Espainiatik independentzia euskal onartzen

He'd probably feel much like I feel when people mistake the Republic as part of the UK but according to a certain poster here, I've no right to feel that way...

I'd say most Irish you meet would be sympathetic to how your dad feels having gone through a similar struggle in our own history.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

yet again, you are not comparing like for like.
    Oh but I did, fred, you're apparently having a little difficulty keeping up...

One thing that's guaranteed to bring out the racists, if any, is a massive and rapid influx of immigrants.

One thing that's triple guaranteed to bring them out, if they exist, is if that happens at a time of economic hardship.

And here we are, better than you. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭dublin_daveyboy

hey i was in England 4 years ago to see united play blackburn at old trafford,it was my first time there although i have english relations through marriage

anyways,on the second day there a mancunian cleaning girl came in to change the towels and that,i asked her,just making conversation do many Irish stay here and her reply was 'yes we have loads of pikeys staying here for matches',and it was said poltely and as if it was normal,the conversation ended and off she went,while was standing there in shock.

just to add ive nothing against england i have worked with english and not a bad word to say about them,i know you get ejits everywhere including Ireland,i could have went to the management and probably got her fired but i didn't i just let it go.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭summerskin

"What is the ethnic population breakdown of the 54m people in England and Wales? Now we have an answer, right down to local authority level.

The non-white British population has grown from 6.6m in 2001 to 9.1m in 2009 - or nearly one in six. The figures were published this week in an "experimental" data release from the Office for National Statistics, which also show that there are now a million mixed-race people in the two countries."

2001 Census ethnicity results

According to the 2001 Census, the ethnic composition of the United Kingdom was:[6]
    Ethnic group Population Proportion of total UK population
    White British 50,366,497 85.67%
    White (other) 3,096,169 5.27%
    Indian 1,053,411 1.8%
    Pakistani 747,285 1.3%
    White Irish 691,232 1.2%
    Mixed race 677,117 1.2%
    Black Caribbean 565,876 1.0%
    Black African 485,277 0.8%
    Bangladeshi 283,063 0.5%
    Chinese 247,403 0.4%
    Other Asian (non-Chinese) 247,644 0.4%
    Black (others) 97,585 0.2%
    Other 230,615 0.4%

as opposed to ireland...
    Nationalities in Ireland

Irish (including dual-Irish/other): 88.9%, UK: 2.7%, Other EU 25: 3.9%, Other Europe: 0.6%, Africa: 0.8%, Asia: 1.1%, USA: 0.3%, Other countries: 0.5%, Multiple nationality: 0.1%, No nationality: 0.0%, Not stated: 1.1% (2006)

Those stats would appear to indicate that the UK was more diverse as a smaller %age of population identified themselves as white british than those that identified themselves as white irish in ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 263 ✭✭upforit101

Has anyone ever been nasty to me for being English? Yes based on my accent only and not knowing me.

Seems to be particularly bad in rural or working class areas imo.

hey i was in England 4 years ago to see united play blackburn at old trafford,it was my first time there although i have english relations through marriage

anyways,on the second day there a mancunian cleaning girl came in to change the towels and that,i asked her,just making conversation do many Irish stay here and her reply was 'yes we have loads of pikeys staying here for matches',and it was said poltely and as if it was normal,the conversation ended and off she went,while was standing there in shock.

just to add ive nothing against england i have worked with english and not a bad word to say about them,i know you get ejits everywhere including Ireland,i could have went to the management and probably got her fired but i didn't i just let it go.

i dont understand , what exactly was wrong with what she said ? , pikeys are what travellers are called in england and pikeys are irish

hey kermit She described Irish people as pikeys collectively speaking ,i didn't ask do many travellers stay in the place did i?, and you cant see whats wrong.

hey kermit She described Irish people as pikeys collectively speaking ,i didn't ask do many travellers stay in the place did i?, and you cant see whats wrong.

thats not how i read it , you asked her do many irish people stay here and she refered to pikeys who were there recently and often , pikeys are irish , how you interpreted that to mean all irish people are pikeys is beyond me

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

And here we are, better than you. :p

Which is, ultimately, what you have been trying to say all along.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

summerskin wrote: »
    Irish (including dual-Irish/other): 88.9%, UK: 2.7%, Other EU 25: 3.9%, Other Europe: 0.6%, Africa: 0.8%, Asia: 1.1%, USA: 0.3%, Other countries: 0.5%, Multiple nationality: 0.1%, No nationality: 0.0%, Not stated: 1.1% (2006)

Those stats would appear to indicate that the UK was more diverse as a smaller %age of population identified themselves as white british than those that identified themselves as white irish in ireland.

Your stats are wrong. According to the most recent census in 2011, some seventeen per cent of Irish residents are non Irish born.

Some embassies, like the Polish and Chinese, have stated that the number of their citizens recorded in the census, is probably lower than the true figure.

With that taken into account, we would be touching twenty per cent.

Figures here; http://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/census/documents/census2011pdr/Census%202011%20Highlights%20Part%201.pdf

In all probability, she probably didn't mean it in a disparaging way. Why would a hotel employee risk their job over something trivial?

It would be like an American asking an inner city Dub accommodation assistant(what they liked to be called!) , if many Americans stayed there and she replied using the word Yank.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Which is, ultimately, what you have been trying to say all along.
    Em, my main first post in the thread was to say that english people are generally more racist than the Irish, so yeah. Although the emergent figure of ten times more racist was a surprise to me.

Look at it this way - you're number one in racism! ;) Remember that the next time you tell a paddy joke, frenchie.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

i dont understand , what exactly was wrong with what she said ? , pikeys are what travellers are called in england and pikeys are irish

Huh ? I seriously doubt they get "loads of pikeys" staying for the game... From reading what he posted, i honestly don't know how you could think she was talking about Irish gypsies...

IrishAm wrote: »
    In all probability, she probably didn't mean it in a disparaging way. Why would a hotel employee risk their job over something trivial?

It would be like an American asking an inner city Dub accommodation assistant(what they liked to be called!) , if many Americans stayed there and she replied using the word Yank.

NO, it would be like a hotel attendant telling an american that they had some cowboys in town last week , not all americans are cowboys but all cowboys are american

Magill wrote: »
    Huh ? I seriously doubt they get "loads of pikeys" staying for the game... From reading what he posted, i honestly don't know how you could think she was talking about Irish gypsies...

pikeys and irish gypsies are the same thing to someone from england

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

If you look at that objectivly, it sounds funny ie ' yes , we have loads of pikeys staying here for matches '' she say's ...while looking at you with a straight face and your standing there in shock

It reminds me of that gag Liverpool comedian John Bishop made when asked how he got on with his Manchester born wife '' It's hard work these mixed race marriages '' :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭CHealy

Paz-CCFC wrote: »
    I'm surprised I managed to catch even a few people, seeing as the original post got a few thanks. Yenom might have been playing along, though - t'was a funny enough comment if he was.

It's good to know that I've got an interent stalker in 'CHealy', though.

Now now Paz, running into a group of scuts from Liverpool on your own isnt the same as, lets say, throwing something at a football player is it??

Latchy wrote: »
    If you look at that objectivly, it sounds funny ie ' yes , we have loads of pikeys staying here for matches '' she say's ...while looking at you with a straight face and your standing there in shock

It reminds me of that gag Liverpool comedian John Bishop made when asked how he got on with his Manchester born wife '' It's hard work these mixed race marriages '' :D

i hate john bishop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

I was in the british army. A corporal didnt like me so one night while him and another cpl where drunk they spent about an hour interegating me accusing me about being IRA, I taught they where joking until after the first 15minutes.
    Not the most pleasent of experiences at 3am to be woken up to that.
    Then when I had an accident with my knee the cpl wouldnt let me seek medical attention and I had to continue on with army training until I had my knee reconstructed because of this :(.

Thats my only bad experience for being irish but will have a lasting effect :(.

Edit:
    I should also point out overall it was the best job i've ever done and would do it all again even with the crap that happened.
    I dont think I will ever do another job as interesting as it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

But not too soft hearted to create and maintain one of the greatest most active terrorist organisations in the world?

The Irish are no different to anyone else to be honest.

True we're all the same at the end of the day..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Take a good look at this, folks, this is the real picture. If he can't win he'll smear everyone else with as much of his own shite as he thinks he can get away with.

but thats exactly what you're doing with your posts about the british

btw- why have you got such a huge chip on your shoulder about them anyway???????

i hate john bishop
    You're taste in comedians is of no importance to me , it was all about the gag he made . John Bishop I'm not fussy on myself , he's not really my cup of tea either but that's beside the point .I know a good gag when I hear it ,regardless of who told it .

On a side note , you could always start a thread titled '' Comedians You Can't stand '' .You'll get loads of response from peeps who share your hatred of some comedians ,even if like this thread ...it's all been done before .

Latchy wrote: »
    You're taste in comedians is of no importance to me , it was all about the gag he made . John Bishop I'm not fussy on myself , he's not really my cup of tea either but that's beside the point .I know a good gag when I hear it ,regardless of who told it .

On a side note , you could always start a thread titled '' Comedians You Can't stand '' .You'll get loads of response from peeps who share your hatred of some comedians ,even if like this thread ...it's all been done before .

i dont think it was a particulary good gag

would be like pj gallagher ( or someone similar ) telling a joke about him and his cork wife and the punchline was how mixed race marriages were difficult

i dont think it was a particulary good gag
    I thought it was ,the people in the audience including the Irish thought it was so it must be a good gag to some ,but not to others
    It would be like pj gallagher ( or someone similar ) telling a joke about him and his cork wife and the punchline was how mixed race marriages were difficult
    The punchline wasn't that John Bishops wife is of a different race ( she's white like him ) it was more to do with the rivilary between those two city's , Manchester and Liverpool and his wife in this instance 'was the fall guy woman for this particular joke so you obiously didn't understand the reference or get the punchline .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Sindri wrote: »
    A good portion of the British Army that fought in the Boer war were Irish.

the irish also fought with the boers.

@kermitt the dog.

C'mon man im hardly going to be asking if travellers stay in the hotel,like im some ethnic minority surveyor or something.id say when she walked out she face palmed herself,it was a slip of the tongue,it was said passively and id say talking with friends thats how she'd reffer to us end of.im off to join the ra goodluck.

@kermitt the dog.

C'mon man im hardly going to be asking if travellers stay in the hotel,like im some ethnic minority surveyor or something.id say when she walked out she face palmed herself,it was a slip of the tongue,it was said passively and id say talking with friends thats how she'd reffer to us end of.im off to join the ra goodluck.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

pikeys are irish

"isn't English, it isn't Irish, it's just Pikey"

@kermitt the dog.

i dont share your opinion based on the details ive heard , perhaps she said it in a sarcastic tone and it came across different in person

No it wasn't said in a sarcastic tone,as i said it was passive and in a friendly way.like ive known that some english reffer to all of us as pikeys and that was the first time i heard an english person say it(apart from 'snatch') anyone else who would not have been offended by it please say so.i'd be curious to know.

No it wasn't said in a sarcastic tone,as i said it was passive and in a friendly way.like ive known that some english reffer to all of us as pikeys and that was the first time i heard an english person say it(apart from 'snatch') anyone else who would not have been offended by it please say so.i'd be curious to know.

she might not even have a problem with pikeys but refered to them as having been there as they do stand out and are distinctive , perhaps she thought you would be familiar with pikeys , pikeys being irish and all , not everyone see,s association with pikeys as derogotary

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Mod
    kermit_the_dog Banned.

I've been trolled haven't i? nooooooooooooo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

The only thing I can think of, and it wasn't bad at all to be honest, was one of my many trips to Liverpool. Myself and a friend were drinking in an pub and a woman overheard us talking.

"Excuse me, are you both Irish?"

"Yup we are in indeed."

"Oh, ****."

"Excuse me?"

"Oh! No no I didn't mean "Oh **** they're Irish", I ment "Oh **** yeah cool they're Irish!"

We laughed and she went on her way. Like I said, nothing bad at all, because I think attitudes towards the Irish aren't as bad as thy are made out to be. I've visited England many times and have always received a warm welcome from locals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The only time someone has ever used me being irish in a bad way was some english customer that wasnt getting his way.

He used "Its because we made ****e of your country for 700 years isnt it"

Yes thats clearly why i cant refund you....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

Vicxas wrote: »
    The only time someone has ever used me being irish in a bad way was some english customer that wasnt getting his way.

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

mikemac1 wrote: »
    "isn't English, it isn't Irish, it's just Pikey"

That's racist!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Should have corrected him, it was 800 years :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Fuinseog wrote: »
    i heard south americans consider us the same as gringos. I was reading hectors book there recently and that seemed to be his opinion.I guess it depends on who you meet.

Hector is from Meath

He thinks everyone is looking down on him, inferiority complex

He's right though :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

I would've laughed at that. Sounds like he'd a good sense of humour....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

Pretty much the only "nasty" vibes I've got whilst out of the country have been from other Irish, strange to say. Usually because I've had the temerity to crticise the dear aul sod :D

Generally, I find we're received quite well. Generally.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

I find the English are the worst for this. I think a lot of them just think it's "banter" to call us "dopey Paddies" or "Micks" - they genuinely believe we're like their stupid cousins that they can mock but we'll still love them because we're oh so close.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

:rolleyes:

A lot of Irish people need to man the fook up.

Mallei wrote: »
    I find the English are the worst for this. I think a lot of them just think it's "banter" to call us "dopey Paddies" or "Micks" - they genuinely believe we're like their stupid cousins that they can mock but we'll still love them because we're oh so close.
    That's some complex you have going on there .

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Protestant behind enemy lines

Aquila wrote: »
    I got called a "taig" once in Enniskillen
    To which i said me names not Tadgh its Mick! :pac:
    Enniskillen, I would dream to live in Enniskillen amongst the Protestants. Lovely place by all accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Enniskillen, I would dream to live in Enniskillen amongst the Protestants. Lovely place by all accounts.

Terrific race, the Enniskillians. What I wouldn;t give to be spat in the face by an Enniskillian...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Advertisement
Advertisement