Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I got abused most nights for a long time. The people were very angry and used my Irish accent to call me all sorts. It was during my x-box live heyday though. Cu*nts..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

I've never used the line below but if I may? ............

Do Not Feed !

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I got abused most nights for a long time. The people were very angry and used my Irish accent to call me all sorts. It was during my x-box live heyday though. Cu*nts..

Lol, the same thing happens to me.

Latchy wrote: »
    That's some complex you have going on there .

No, he's pretty much correct. That is how a lot of the English see the Irish. It's mostly good natured banter but there's definitely an element of condescension there.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

I lived in Holland in the 1990's. In 1990 two Australian tourists were shot dead by the IRA in a town called Roermand. The IRA tought they were off duty British soldiers - but it was a "mistake". Many Dutch people were shocked, and a few of the guys I worked called me an Irish bastard and told me to piss off back to Ireland and take "my" war with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,142 ✭✭✭Eggy Baby!

A fist between the eyes probably would have been no harm!

Wouldn't have helped his perception of the Irish to be honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

leggit wrote: »
    I'd be more in the "couldn't give a f*ck" camp when it comes to this kind of thing, just a drunk moron being a drunk moron.

Not racism either btw

I think you have to experience it to know what it's like. I would always defend myself when it comes to nationality and people taking the piss.
    How come it's never racist when it's people having a go at us Irish?
    I lived in the UK for a long time and they are terrible for taking the piss out of the Irish and the Irish accent.

OP I think there are quite a few people who would have challenged him on his comment, rightly so imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 273 ✭✭Weylin

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    It surely was. Calling an Irish person a "mick" is very racist...unless your name is Michael.
    or paddy :)(paddy ashdown...:-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

hondasam wrote: »
    I think you have to experience it to know what it's like. I would always defend myself when it comes to nationality and people taking the piss.
    How come it's never racist when it's people having a go at us Irish?
    I lived in the UK for a long time and they are terrible for taking the piss out of the Irish and the Irish accent.

OP I think there are quite a few people who would have challenged him on his comment, rightly so imo.

I lived in England for almost 3 years (and Scotland for 4 months) in my mid-20s and yeah, I got the piss ripped out of my accent and a chorus of Father Ted Mrs Doyle impressions everytime I spoke. I studied in England for 8 months and I'd a lecturer refer to our Taoiseach as Prime Minister Potatoe (he'd no idea who our Taoiseach was.....just thought it'd be hilarious to crack a joke about how we were ruled by a potatoe ho ho ho). I took it with a pinch of salt most of time and I suppose I was one of those heads who moved there expecting to be abused. This kind of carry on is not comparable the abuse black people (from wherever they may be from), Indians, Pakistanis and Bangledeshis, Iraqis etc had/have to put up with the world over.

The Irish are not victims anymore. We're greeted with open arms almost everywhere we go (which is more than can be said for our neighbours, the poor sods). To claim we're victims of racism when this kind of banter goes on is disingenueous. Any kind of banter like this regardless of intent was a novelty for me. I've never experienced anywhere else and most of the time (not all the time), I joined in and laughed it off. To compare ourselves to those ethnic minorities who really are victims of racism and whose advancement in education and their career etc is impeded simply because of their skin colour, is an insult to them.

The English people like the Irish generally speaking. If many of them believe we're loveable twits, then that's okay with me; it just highlights their own ignorance. Usually those who believe that about us haven't got a whole lot going on upstairs anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    I lived in England for almost 3 years (and Scotland for 4 months) in my mid-20s and yeah, I got the piss ripped out of my accent and a chorus of Father Ted Mrs Doyle impressions everytime I spoke. I studied in England for 8 months and I'd a lecturer refer to our Taoiseach as Prime Minister Potatoe (he'd no idea who our Taoiseach was.....just thought it'd be hilarious to crack a joke about how we were ruled by a potatoe ho ho ho). I took it with a pinch of salt most of time and I suppose I was one of those heads who moved there expecting to be abused. This kind of carry on is not comparable the abuse black people (from wherever they may be from), Indians, Pakistanis and Bangledeshis, Iraqis etc had/have to put up with the world over.

Going well here until we got to the last line. Its ok to slag off the Irish but not blacks/Indians/Paks/Bangla/Iraqis etc?

Why so?
    I
    To compare ourselves to those ethnic minorities who really are victims of racism and whose advancement in education and their career etc is impeded simply because of their skin colour, is an insult to them.

Utter, utter drivel.

Ethnic minorities me hole. We live in a globalised world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

To claim we're victims of racism when this kind of banter goes on is disingenueous. Any kind of banter like this regardless of intent was a novelty for me. I've never experienced anywhere else and most of the time (not all the time), I joined in and laughed it off.

I can laugh some of it off but it gets tiresome after awhile especially coming from the same people.
    It's not always banter, there is more to some of it, laughing at us and laughing with us is two different things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

IrishAm wrote: »

Going well here until we got to the last line. Its ok to slag off the Irish but not blacks/Indians/Paks/Bangla/Iraqis etc?

Why so?
    I
    To compare ourselves to those ethnic minorities who really are victims of racism and whose advancement in education and their career etc is impeded simply because of their skin colour, is an insult to them.

Utter, utter drivel.

On mobile. Too awkward to edit the quote.

To be Irish and get mocked at, be the centre of jokes or discriminated isn't racism.

To have it done due to the colour of your skin regardless of nationality is racism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

marozz wrote: »
    I lived in Holland in the 1990's. In 1990 two Australian tourists were shot dead by the IRA in a town called Roermand. The IRA tought they were off duty British soldiers - but it was a "mistake". Many Dutch people were shocked, and a few of the guys I worked called me an Irish bastard and told me to piss off back to Ireland and take "my" war with me.

It was Roermond, I drive through it every day, very quiet with a much older population than North Holland.

Would have been shocking alright:
    http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=nl&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.nieuwsdossier.nl/terrorisme/ira-pleegt-aanslag-in-roermond&usg=ALkJrhjAxVVwluG2KiGyQhZCjeyAmGyS2g

Theres a British Army base about 15 minutes drive over the border, as far as I know these IRA cells were operating in various areas around europe targetting those bases.

Personally I think the British Army bases being around is great, I spend an hour driving to work from Eindhoven - Duesseldorf, Dutch radio is shíte, German radio is worse.

British Forces Broadcasting Services is just like BBC Radio 1, except with a bit of war stuff thrown in :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭marozz

It was Roermond, I drive through it every day, very quiet with a much older population than North Holland.

Would have been shocking alright:
    http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?hl=en&ie=UTF8&prev=_t&rurl=translate.google.com&sl=nl&tl=en&twu=1&u=http://www.nieuwsdossier.nl/terrorisme/ira-pleegt-aanslag-in-roermond&usg=ALkJrhjAxVVwluG2KiGyQhZCjeyAmGyS2g

Theres a British Army base about 15 minutes drive over the border, as far as I know these IRA cells were operating in various areas around europe targetting those bases.

Personally I think the British Army bases being around is great, I spend an hour driving to work from Eindhoven - Duesseldorf, Dutch radio is shíte, German radio is worse.

British Forces Broadcasting Services is just like BBC Radio 1, except with a bit of war stuff thrown in :pac:
    I was living The Hague at the time. It was a bit mad for a while. After the IRA cell was arrested they found an IRA safe house in The Hague which, unknown to myself , was on the corner of the street I lived in. In general the Dutch and the Irish get on great. Zeker als je de nederlandse taal leren kennen:)

Rabies wrote: »

To be Irish and get mocked at, be the centre of jokes or discriminated isn't racism.

To have it done due to the colour of your skin regardless of nationality is racism.

So, if I move to country x and cannot get a job, purely down to me being Irish, thats not racism. But if an asian lad was in the same position, due to him being a brown colour, it is?

The. Fuck?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

marozz wrote: »
    I was living The Hague at the time. It was a bit mad for a while. After the IRA cell was arrested they found an IRA safe house in The Hague which, unknown to myself , was on the corner of the street I lived in. In general the Dutch and the Irish get on great. Zeker als je de nederlandse taal leren kennen:)

Nee .. ik woon in Brabant .. ik leren de brabant taal ;), de noord holland toon is te scherp voor mij :pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭otto_26

Yes when I Lived in Sydney: Australians complaining about how ignorant the Irish were and that it was a disgrace how we acted around Bondi Junction when we were drunk.. Asked me are there any Irish that have any other interests than just sitting on a bar stool.. and that maybe we should all just stay at home if all we are going to do when we go travelling is sit on bar stools in Irish pubs.... What could I say!!!?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

I think you'll find british law disagrees with you. As does the UN charter of human rights. It most certainly is racism.
    This here is a problem with a lot of Irish people who've never actually been at the butt end of discrimination in the north and in england. Your advancement in education and your career will often be impeded because you are Irish in england or the north.

The paddy jokes are just a symptom of the grand rationalisation the yucks and the noddies invent to justify their ongoing hatemongering. Its a process of dehumanisation, and once someone is no longer human, not one of "us", you can do what you like to them and sleep soundly that night.

Your problem Eve is you are still thinking "they" are "us". They sure as hell don't see it that way. This is real racism, and it is very dangerous, make no mistake.

I'll admit its a lot more common in the north than in england, but don't fool yourself, there's still plenty of it out there, and it needs to be stamped out hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

If we wanted to be technical, theres no such thing as racism as "race" is a bit of a myth. However, for practical purposes discrimination against skin colour and/or ethnicity is referred to as "racism"
    In this Convention, the term "racial discrimination" shall mean any distinction, exclusion, restriction or preference based on race, colour, descent, or national or ethnic origin which has the purpose or effect of nullifying or impairing the recognition, enjoyment or exercise, on an equal footing, of human rights and fundamental freedoms in the political, economic, social, cultural or any other field of public life.
    http://www2.ohchr.org/english/law/cerd.htm

So yes, discrimination against Irish people is in fact "racism" as defined by the UN and equally worthy of a smack in the gob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭johnboysligo

The most racist insult ever given to me was by a Danish twat and the best he could come up with is you English c***. Worst example of racism to an Irish person that I know happened in Melbourne to my sister.

She and her husband own an off license and some ignorant prick walked in with a home made "IRISH OUT!" poster and expected her to allow him to put it in the window. He got the shock of his life when she told him where she came from and left almost straight away. A few hours later he returned with a group of like minded people and they stood outside and at the door stopping people from coming in, police cleared them away fairly quickly but scared the crap out of her.

• Advertisement

Why so?

Oh give me a break :rolleyes: You know I didn't say that. The Irish are hardly a downtrodden nationality for the love of JAYSUS! Some of us have had a bit of abuse thrown at us maybe once in our lives. This is not the experiences of those nationalities above living in Western societies. If you don't agree, then you're not living where those cultures are in abundance and you've no first hand experience of it.

The Irish might've been victims of discrimination back in the day but not now. I would never compare myself to the Sudanese guys I see getting pulled over by the Spanish police on a daily basis and whacked over the head with a baton simply because they're African.

Utter, utter drivel.

Utter drivel?? Are you on crack mate? You're claiming racism based doesn't exist???? Can I ask you where you live? I've lived in London, Birmingham and Wolverhampton and now I'm living in Madrid. London is a massively multicultural society and I saw plenty of racism first hand. Globalised society means **** all. The Irish are not targets for racism on any grand scale but the races of people I've mentioned above, are and to compare ourselves to them is a complete joke. Seriously!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    I'll admit its a lot more common in the north than in england, but don't fool yourself, there's still plenty of it out there, and it needs to be stamped out hard.

It's more subtle in England alright but I wouldn't say it's any less common. I think they genuinely believe that the Irish are stupid, drunken thieves, and act accordingly.

I think you'll find british law disagrees with you. As does the UN charter of human rights. It most certainly is racism.

This here is a problem with a lot of Irish people who've never actually been at the butt end of discrimination in the north and in england. Your advancement in education and your career will often be impeded because you are Irish in england or the north.

The paddy jokes are just a symptom of the grand rationalisation the yucks and the noddies invent to justify their ongoing hatemongering. Its a process of dehumanisation, and once someone is no longer human, not one of "us", you can do what you like to them and sleep soundly that night.

Your problem Eve is you are still thinking "they" are "us". They sure as hell don't see it that way. This is real racism, and it is very dangerous, make no mistake.

I went to university in England (midlands) and had zero problems because of my nationality. In fact myself and my fellow Irish students were favoured over the English students in the class and we were always told how great the Irish students who came over were. I also lived and work in London for 2 years after that and worked with judges and lawyers. No problems. I was always treated with respect and kindness when people found out I was Irish. Had a great reception over there because of my nationality. None of my friends had any problems either. Also went out with an English guy for 2 and a half years and his family were very, very kind to me. Yes the Father Ted impressions got on my tits but that's hardly proper discrimination.

Listen, I grew up in a Republican family with an anti-English sentiment. My father warned me about the kind of treatment I would get. He had a hard time there in the 60s. I suppose I was one of those people Stovelid mentioned who almost wanted to get some form of abuse to justify the dislike for the English I'd grown up with. But I didn't get it and I'll be honest with you, I was in my early 20s and I was almost disappointed in a way. Not because I like to be insulted but because how I was treated there made everything I was told growing up a load of absolute farcical, imagined shite and it's hard to accept your family are essentially full of crap (although only on this issue).

The English might laugh at our accents and our "quaint" ways which IS very irritating etc but my friends living there are very successful and I was hired in a position over there out of almost a 100 applicants. The Irish are not victims of any real systematic racism there anymore.

I'm not denying things weren't hard for the Irish at one stage but not now.

Do you have first hand experience of living there in the past 10 years?

Edit: I very much see them as "them"...believe me. I like the English but I'm proud to be Irish and see ourselves as different from them as us and the Spanish, for example.

Mallei wrote: »
    It's more subtle in England alright but I wouldn't say it's any less common. I think they genuinely believe that the Irish are stupid, drunken thieves, and act accordingly.

Hi Mallei....just a polite question- have you lived there yourself? I'd genuinely be interested in hearing your experiences that made you feel this way. I had the total opposite treatment in my 3 years over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

I've never lived there but I've visited a few times, and met English people in Dublin. My experiences, however, are mainly informed by friends and family who have lived there, and they all say the same thing about how they were treated.

Mallei wrote: »
    I've never lived there but I've visited a few times, and met English people in Dublin. My experiences, however, are mainly informed by friends and family who have lived there, and they all say the same thing about how they were treated.

You should form your own opinions on these things though, particularly on something so important. Read my post above...whole family warned me about the English and they were wrong wrong wrong.

Do you really believe the English you met thought you were a stupid drunken thieve? Now listen, I know some English do think like that but not the majority.

Maybe your friends and family are just a shower of cunts? ;) (joke)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

Oh give me a break :rolleyes: You know I didn't say that. The Irish are hardly a downtrodden nationality for the love of JAYSUS! Some of us have had a bit of abuse thrown at us maybe once in our lives. This is not the experiences of those nationalities above living in Western societies. If you don't agree, then you're not living where those cultures are in abundance and you've no first hand experience of it.

The Irish might've been victims of discrimination back in the day but not now. I would never compare myself to the Sudanese guys I see getting pulled over by the Spanish police on a daily basis and whacked over the head with a baton simply because they're African.

I call bull**** on this.

Utter drivel?? Are you on crack mate? You're claiming racism based doesn't exist???? Can I ask you where you live? I've lived in London, Birmingham and Wolverhampton and now I'm living in Madrid. London is a massively multicultural society and I saw plenty of racism first hand. Globalised society means **** all. The Irish are not targets for racism on any grand scale but the races of people I've mentioned above, are and to compare ourselves to them is a complete joke. Seriously!

What´s that got to do with anything? I´d say 90 per cent of your posts are you banging on about where you lived or are living. An expert it does not make.

I call bull**** on this.

UNfortunately not. Perhaps the daily was an exaggeration but I live in an area with a lot of immigrants-Latin American and African mainly0- and I see the African guys getting pulled over and hit quite regularly. I really wish I'd just made this up to prove a point but maybe you need to do a bit of research on how heavy-handed Spanish police are, even with the Spanish. Africans are treated like **** here.

I almost got the ****e bet out of me for celebrating Spain win in the world cup win 2 years ago. Long-live General Franco unfortunately.

What´s that got to do with anything? I´d say 90 per cent of your posts are you banging on about where you lived or are living. An expert it does not make.

Never claimed to be an expert. Just stating my own personal experiences. My point is, I've lived in areas with large "ethnic" populations and I've seen racism against these ethnic minorities first hand. Think that's quite relevant to my point.

The Irish are not targets for racism on any grand scale but the races of people I've mentioned above, are and to compare ourselves to them is a complete joke. Seriously!
    Yeah, and we shouldn't call the Rwandan genocide a genocide because fewer people died in it than the holocaust. It might be disrespectful to all those Jews who died in the nazi concentration camps.

Bottom line is, none of it is acceptable.

And you're only fooling yourself if you think its a thing of the past. Look no further than AH to see the parade of grotesques that regularly wheel through abusing anything Irish left right and centre. KeithAFC, well known AH poster, was recently permabanned from the forum for his eternal racism. And it is racism, legally, morally, in every way. Only last month we had another son of nod in Australia thinking it was perfectly alright to advertise a job say "No Irish". Hows your career doing now?

So think for a minute about what you're defending, exactly.

I almost got the ****e bet out of me for celebrating Spain win in the world cup win 2 years ago. Long-live General Franco unfortunately.

Just to clarify, Spanish cops gave you hastle for celebrating the Spanish win?

• Advertisement

Drinkmilkkids...not claiming to be an expert but I'd like to hear the experiences you've personally had that have lead you to form your opinion on the English. I'm genuinly open to hearing them. I'd even be open to changing my mind. I'm speaking about my own experiences. What are yours?

Nodin wrote: »
    Just to clarify, Spanish cops gave you hastle for celebrating the Spanish win?

Long story. I live in Madrid, was celebrating in the centre at about 5am, , things were winding down and there was no trouble at all (Dublin is worse on your average Saturday night), police vans pulled up, police jumped out and police started to indiscriminantly batter people across their arms and heads. Myself and my Irish friend had to run away when I almost got hit by a baton. The police stood in the square for about an hour surrounding it with their arms folded not letting anyone through.

I teach English here and when I told my students, they laughed and said that'd be fairly typical behaviour from them.

That's the honest truth. I've no reason to lie about this. I'm many things but I'm not a liar.

Yeah, and we shouldn't call the Rwandan genocide a genocide because fewer people died in it than the holocaust. It might be disrespectful to all those Jews who died in the nazi concentration camps.

And you're only fooling yourself if you think its a thing of the past. Look no further than AH to see the parade of grotesques that regularly wheel through abusing anything Irish left right and centre. KeithAFC, well known AH poster, was recently permabanned from the forum for his eternal racism. And it is racism, legally, morally, in every way. Only last month we had another son of nod in Australia thinking it was perfectly alright to advertise a job say "No Irish". Hows your career doing now?

Not "defending" anything. I'm speaking of my own experiences and I'm not going to make up a pack of lies. Sorry pal. I'm open to people's own personal experiences (not the experiences of family and friends) though and having my mind changed somewhat.

Are you asking me how my career is doing? :confused: I don't understand that bit.

Long story. I live in Madrid, was celebrating in the centre at about 5am, , things were winding down and there was no trouble at all (Dublin is worse on your average Saturday night), police vans pulled up, police jumped out and police started to indiscriminantly batter people across their arms and heads. Myself and my Irish friend had to run away when I almost got hit by a baton. The police stood in the square for about an hour surrounding it with their arms folded not letting anyone through.

I teach English here and when I told my students, they laughed and said that'd be fairly typical behaviour from them.

That's the honest truth. I've no reason to lie about this. I'm many things but I'm not a liar.

O no. For various reasons I've heard the stories (and seen the marks left) by the Spanish police so I don't doubt it. Just seemed a bit odd - even for them - during a world cup.

Not "defending" anything. I'm speaking of my own experiences and I'm not going to make up a pack of lies. Sorry pal. I'm open to people's own personal experiences (not the experiences of family and friends) though and having my mind changed somewhat.
    Are you accusing everyone who has posted negative experiences in this thread of making up "a pack of lies"? Because that's an extensive list of people you just called liars.
    Are you asking me how my career is doing? :confused: I don't understand that bit.
    Really, because you only posted this last page.
    Had you been seeking work in that line of business a NO IRISH sign might have impeded your career a bit, no? Denial is not a river in Egypt.

Also, I never claimed ANY form of racism was acceptable. I never said that.

I see an anti-Irish sentiment on AH coming from our own unfortunately.

By the way, I never denied it exists but I don't believe it exists on any grand scale. THAT was my point.

I'd appreciate if you read my posts properly. Thanks.

I see an anti-Irish sentiment on AH coming from our own unfortunately.
    I suppose you saw the passports of the posters in question too.

Oh give me a break :rolleyes: You know I didn't say that.

You claimed that if someone slagged you off due to you being Irish that it was just banter, but if someone slagged off a black/Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Iraqi that it was racism.

Then you claimed your teacher called the current taoiseach a potatoehead. No doubt if he called an Iraqi politician Mr raghead, you would be up in arms.

Personally, a few jibes wouldn't bother me. But your hypocrisy does.

:)
    The Irish are hardly a downtrodden nationality for the love of JAYSUS!

Yes, life has always been a bed of roses for the Irish.

Some of us have had a bit of abuse thrown at us maybe once in our lives. This is not the experiences of those nationalities above living in Western societies. If you don't agree, then you're not living where those cultures are in abundance and you've no first hand experience of it.

Vulnerable minorities me hole. No such thing as a minority in a globalised world. People of european descent only make up 8% of the global population, yet in the western world, we label the 92% as "vulnerable minorities",

Bollix of the highest order.
    the Sudanese guys I see getting pulled over by the Spanish police on a daily basis and whacked over the head with a baton simply because they're African.

This never happened, did it? No need to lie.

Seriously!

Liiike, totalllly!

Are you accusing everyone who has posted negative experiences in this thread of making up "a pack of lies"? Because that's an extensive list of people you just called liars.

Really, because you only posted this last page.

Had you been seeking work in that line of business a NO IRISH sign might have impeded your career a bit, no? Denial is not a river in Egypt.

No one is a liar and I never accused anyone of that.

I'm bowing out now if you don't mind. Won't be replying to your posts. Your too confrontational. I'm up for a debate and as I said, even to have my mind changed but your twisting my words and the sarcastic tone in your posts does you no favours.

• Advertisement

No one is a liar and I never accused anyone of that.

I'm bowing out now if you don't mind. Won't be replying to your posts. Your too confrontational. I'm up for a debate and as I said, even to have my mind changed but your twisting my words and the sarcastic tone in your posts does you no favours.
    I'm sorry you see it that way, but you and everyone else needs to learn that some things just won't fly any more. There's no reason anyone should have to put up with abuse based on where they came from.

You claimed that if someone slagged you off due to you being Irish that it was just banter, but if someone slagged off a black/Indian/Pakistani/Bangladeshi/Iraqi that it was racism.

Depends on what is said and the context.
    Then you claimed your teacher called the current taoiseach a potatoehead. No doubt if he called an Iraqi politician Mr raghead, you would be up in arms.

Personally, a few jibes wouldn't bother me. But your hypocrisy does.

:)

I was pissed off, believe me.
    Yes, life has always been a bed of roses for the Irish.

If you read my posts, I acknowledged it wasn't.

Vulnerable minorities me hole. No such thing as a minority in a globalised world. People of european descent only make up 8% of the global population, yet in the western world, we label the 92% as "vulnerable minorities",

Bollix of the highest order.

Rubbish.
    This never happened, did it? No need to lie.

Oh it happened alright....I've seen it happen on maybe 20 different occasions. It's a massive problem here. You can accuse me of lying all you like but I know the truth. :)

Liiike, totalllly!

Very mature. Why the aggression?

Good luck fellas. I'm off.

I'm sorry you see it that way, but you and everyone else needs to learn that some things just won't fly any more. There's no reason anyone should have to put up with abuse based on where they came from.

I agree with you. Abuse is abuse and it should never be tolerated. I gave two examples of abuse I got from 2 English guys in a bar here in Spain. There was WAR, believe me. I even posted a thread about it on here about it and funnily enough, was accused of being racist and small-minded by IRISH posters for complaining about it and what I said back to them.

No aggression on my part. Just,like, totally talking the piss out of the,like, Americanisation of the English language.

If you see Madrids finest whacking lads over the mallet with their batons why not video/or make a complaint to their chief?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭30txsbzmcu2k9w

UNfortunately not. Perhaps the daily was an exaggeration but I live in an area with a lot of immigrants-Latin American and African mainly0- and I see the African guys getting pulled over and hit quite regularly. I really wish I'd just made this up to prove a point but maybe you need to do a bit of research on how heavy-handed Spanish police are, even with the Spanish. Africans are treated like **** here.

Never claimed to be an expert. Just stating my own personal experiences. My point is, I've lived in areas with large "ethnic" populations and I've seen racism against these ethnic minorities first hand. Think that's quite relevant to my point.

Major exaggeration in fairness. I lived in Lavapies and never saw anything of the like. I know the Spanish police aren´t afraid to use a baton but to portray them as racially motivated attacks is a bit overboard don´t you think?

One of the more misbegotten notions on the thread so far.

If there are four chinese people in the county of Kerry, they are a minority. If there are four Iranians in the country of cork, they are a minority. The fact that there exists far more chinese and Iranians than kerrymen is beside the point, because they aren't in kerry.

Next I'll have to explain the difference between "small" and "far away".......

• Advertisement

No aggression on my part. Just,like, totally talking the piss out of the,like, Americanisation of the English language.

If you see Madrids finest whacking lads over the mallet with their batons why not video/or make a complaint to their chief?

I did. In fact being the hot headed kind of woman I am, I confronted the police twice following 2 incidents. I also complained when I was almost assualted by one at the World Cup celebrations the following day.

Guess how it went down? :)

NOw you can accuse me of lying all you like but I could not give a shit. You don't know me from adam.

You'ev put a tone on my accent that doesn't exist my friend but don't let that stop your snide remarks. I said the word "seriously" as emphasis and you took a pop when there was no need. Seriously is not an Americanisation ffs.

One of the more misbegotten notions on the thread so far.

If there are four chinese people in the county of Kerry, they are a minority. If there are four Iranians in the country of cork, they are a minority. The fact that there exists far more chinese and Iranians than kerrymen is beside the point, because they aren't in kerry.

Irish people are a minority in certain areas of Dublin city centre, west and north Dublin.

Can they claim minority status?

Do you think travelers are ethnic minorities?

Major exaggeration in fairness. I lived in Lavapies and never saw anything of the like. I know the Spanish police aren´t afraid to use a baton but to portray them as racially motivated attacks is a bit overboard don´t you think?

I saw one incident in Lavapies and about 15 incidents in my own area(not always with baton but with violence)...which is south of the centre is away from all the tourists wander about. I've been here for a few years now and I do a lot of wandering around at night. Too stingy to get a taxi. Just because you didn't see it, doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Probably a bit like me and my own experiences in England. If you can set me straight, I'll happily listen. You still haven't though.

Whatever their motivation was, I've only ever seen Africans targeted in this way (and people celebrating the World Cup).

O no. For various reasons I've heard the stories (and seen the marks left) by the Spanish police so I don't doubt it. Just seemed a bit odd - even for them - during a world cup.

Believe me, I'm in still in shock 2 years later. It was the single most terrifying experience of my life. Very surreal and a "wtf?" moment. When I tell you nothing was going beforehand, I mean it. It was a Sunday night so people had gone home - just the stragglers like myself dancing around fountains and talking to randomers. The police can be absolute coonts here as I've seen on many occasions. There's been protests and movements over it. It's a real issue. You'd never complain about the Garda again after spending a few years here.

Irish people are a minority in certain areas of Dublin city centre, west and north Dublin.

Can they claim minority status?

And you're off.....

Do you think travelers are ethnic minorities?

Minority, singular. Theres debate as to whether or not they are an ethnic group, but they are certainly a minority, yes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement