Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

Nodin wrote: »
    If there are four chinese people in the county of Kerry, they are a minority.
    Unless there are really only six people in the county of Kerry, which I've long suspected to be the case. Very handy with the oul camera tricks and mirrors those Kerrymen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46,938 ✭✭✭✭Nodin

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Unless there are really only six people in the county of Kerry, which I've long suspected to be the case. Very handy with the oul camera tricks and mirrors those Kerrymen.

Hard to tell. Cute, so they are, very fucken cute.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    No one is a liar and I never accused anyone of that.

I'm bowing out now if you don't mind. Won't be replying to your posts. Your too confrontational. I'm up for a debate and as I said, even to have my mind changed but your twisting my words and the sarcastic tone in your posts does you no favours.

Don't come back! :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Ah! Haven't heard from you in a while since you made a fool of yourself earlier in the thread....:rolleyes:

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Ah! Haven't heard from you in a while since you made a fool of yourself earlier in the thread....:rolleyes:

Your defence of racism says a lot about you.

Where did she defend racism?

Where did she defend racism?

These last 10 pages.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

And you're off.....

Are they an ethnic minority or no?

Minority, singular. Theres debate as to whether or not they are an ethnic group, but they are certainly a minority, yes.

Travelers are as Irish as the rest of us. They only went ethnic minority status so they can siphon off more cash from the exchequer. Its a real growth industry.

These last 10 pages.

Specifically, in what exact post did she defend racism. I've looked, and I don't see it. You evidently did, so be as good as to direct me to it with a link or the post number.

Can you back that up?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 279 ✭✭thomur

Worked on a J1 in Wildwood New Jersey 22 years ago and there was one guy at work on the pier threated to mace me because I was Irish. Thats after I asked him if he wanted to come out for pints with us. Didnt ask him again.

Happy Mondays, myself and you got into a kerfuffle in this thread, I proved you wrong, now you're accusing me of being a racist. I won't report you just yet as I'd like to hear your justification...or are you going to run away again like you did the last time when you were proved wrong?

Edit: Accusing me of defending racism cos you were made a fool of. Very smooth. Keep digging my friend.

IrishAm wrote: »
    Are they an ethnic minority or no?.

Course not. Irish people make up the majority of the population of Dublin, and the majority in the 26 counties, and the whole Island. Plus you've provided no evidence that those in those areas are not Irish citizens. Now of course you want to make it look different, because that suits your barely hidden xenophobic agenda, but no-one, be it the UN, recognised NGO's or the Irish government take that kind of nonsense seriously.
    Travelers are as Irish as the rest of us. They only went ethnic minority status so they can siphon off more cash from the exchequer. Its a real growth industry.

Why is it you lot always seem to read from the exact same pamphlets? A bit of variety would be nice.

Nobody said they weren't Irish. However one can be a distinct minority in Irish society. Irish Protestants, African-Irish, Jews are all Irish citizens, yet form minorities within society.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Not so much for being Irish, but get called a farmer in Dublin, the curse a jaysus on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭sarmer

In Australia at New Year's 3 years ago, my friends (all mid twenties females) were waiting in a queue. It was a bit of a messy queue with people not standing in proper lines so it turned out we accidently cut in a front of an ozzie couple. The girl tells us rudely that we've cut in front of them and we all say sorry, it was an accident etc. Then she starts to rant - "Fcuking Irish, fcuking coming over here taking our jobs blah blah blah, I outta punch you in the face". Totaly nutjob. I couldn't say anything because I was so shocked but one of my friends stood up for us by saying she was in no position to give out about immigrants as she must be one herself (or her parents/grandparents must be). She then said to just try and hit us because we would just complain to nearby security that we were experiencing racial violence. The woman backed down and my friend got the final word in by turning to the boyfriend and telling him that he "ought to put that thing on a leash"!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

Sitec wrote: »
    Not so much for being Irish, but get called a farmer in Dublin, the curse a jaysus on them.

i think things have improved for culchies in Dublin since the foreigners arrived. You also have culchies who settle in Dublin and then start to speak ill of county folk. it s the same nonsense in every country.

thomur wrote: »
    Worked on a J1 in Wildwood New Jersey 22 years ago and there was one guy at work on the pier threated to mace me because I was Irish. Thats after I asked him if he wanted to come out for pints with us. Didnt ask him again.

maybe he was a pioneer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭caspa307

to answer op's question...... yeah europe during the eurovision tonight :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^^^^

that wasn't for being irish that was for those irritating twins who speak with mid-atlantic accents

• Advertisement

what's with all the fighting n feuding? is it not possible to have a civilised debate?

fryup wrote: »
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^

that wasn't for being irish that was for those irritating twins who speak with mid-atlantic accents

what about Craig Doyle. he is hardly true to his roots

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

Go on to twitter now and see the abuse we are getting for giving UK 4 points :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

Your advancement in education and your career will often be impeded because you are Irish in england or the north. .

:confused:really try telling that to this man

they are over 3 million irish living in the UK...now if they're being descriminated against like you're suggesting why don't they come back?..no one is making them stay over there

philstar wrote: »
    :confused:really try telling that to this man

they are over 3 million irish living in the UK...now if they're being descriminated against like you're suggesting why don't they come back?..no one is making them stay over there
    Oh brilliant, so 75% of the country uprooted itself and left for england did it? Or are those the descendants of Irish immigrants who are still called "Irish". Your post defeats itself.
    Anti-Irish racism is as old as the 12th century: it is not the result of IRA terrorism, says a study published yesterday. Even Irish jokes go back at least to the 16th century and chroniclers as long ago as 1187 were attacking the Irish for their filth and ignorance.
    Dr Mary Hickman, director of the Irish Studies Centre at the University of North London, says in her book, Religion, Class and Identity, that since the Anglo-Norman invasion in the 12th century the English have tried to justify their attacks on Ireland by racism. She said yesterday: "Many people assume that current English hostility or discrimination towards the Irish is the result of events in Northern Ireland so they see it as regrettable but understandable."
    Dr Hickman, who is conducting a nationwide study of discrimination against the Irish for the Equal Opportunities Commission, argues that Ireland is important to the security of England and successive generations have tried to justify invasion and colonisation by stereotyping the Irish as wild and uncivilised.
    The Pope sanctioned the Anglo-Norman invasion on the grounds that Ireland was alleged to be only nominally Christian. Dr Hickman says: "The evidence for dominating Ireland has involved lengthy discussions on the Irish national character directly linked to notions about the Celts as a "race" or the Irish as a nation.
    The emphasis prior to the 16th century was on the paganism, superstition and barbarism of the Irish. Before then, Dr Hickman says, the caricature concentrated on their wildness and savagery.
    From the reign of Elizabeth 1, the English began systematically to colonise Ireland and the stereotype became more detailed: in particular the notion of the Irish as "stupid" became common. "Most of this was designed to show how English rule could be used to benefit the Irish," says Dr Hickman.
    An anonymous contemporary of Shakespeare included a very ignorant and wild Irishman in the play Sir John Oldcastle, based partly, scholars think on MacMorris in Henry V.
    During the 16th and 17th centuries, the stereotype changed: the half- human savage became a figure of contempt. In the 19th century more details of the stereotype, such as idleness and drinking, were filled in.
    English attitudes to the Irish are closely connected to anti-Catholicism. Dr Hickman's book points out that a separate system of Roman Catholic schools grew up because of the hostility of English working class parents to having their children educated alongside Irish children. It was not the case that the Catholics insisted on their own schools.
    A spokesman for the Commission of Racial Equality said they had commissioned their study because there was mounting concern about discrimination against those of Irish origin in the workplace and at schools.
    t Religion, Class and Identity; Mary J Hickman; Avebury; pounds 37.50.
    Words from the history of a nation's prejudice
    12th century: "A most filthy race ... sunk in vice, a race more ignorant than all other nations of the first principles of the faith ... They pay neither tithes nor first fruits; they do not contract marriage, nor shun incestuous connections" - Giraldus Cambrensis.
    18th century: The Irish are "buried in the most profound barbarism and ignorance" - David Hume.
    1836: Irish immigration into Britain "is an example of a less civilised population spreading itself as a substratum beneath a more civilised community" - parliamentary inquiry into the Irish in Britain.
    1930s: "They (the Irish) have settled into the closest poor quarter and turned the settlement into a slum" - J. B. Priestley.
    You'd want to wake up and cop yourself on.

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"in the 19th century" :rolleyes: oh ffs....i'm talking about today

plenty of irish clubs, plenty of irish pubs.........a few irish jokes so what!!!!!

well what about willie walsh then?????????? didn't hold him back, wanna reply to that?

• Advertisement

^^^^^^^^^^^^

"in the 19th century" :rolleyes: oh ffs....i'm talking about today

plenty of irish clubs, plenty of irish pubs.........a few irish jokes so what!!!!!

well what about willie walsh then?????????? didn't hold him back, wanna reply to that?
    I see reading isn't your strong suit.
    current English hostility or discrimination towards the Irish

A spokesman for the Commission of Racial Equality said they had commissioned their study because there was mounting concern about discrimination against those of Irish origin in the workplace and at schools.
    And that's just the first link I could be bothered to dig out at this hour. I have no doubt there is much more beyond that bare scrape of the surface.

ok, ignore willie walsh (irish chairman of british airways) then :cool:

anyway it seems alot of irish are not as hung up about the UK as you are

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

plenty of irish clubs, plenty of irish pubs.........a few irish jokes so what!!!!

Did you think what happened to the OP was acceptable? would you consider it a joke?

hondasam wrote: »
    Did you think what happened to the OP was acceptable? would you consider it a joke?

certainly do not ..but we give as good as we get...

ok, ignore willie walsh (irish chairman of british airways) then :cool:

anyway it seems alot of irish are not as hung up about the UK as you are
    Genuinely couldn't care less about the english, they can live forever or die tomorrow and it makes no difference to me. But as long as muppets come in hereabouts spouting racist crap, be assured there will be a response, and you won't like it.

• Advertisement

certainly do not ..but we give as good as we get...

Have you lived in the UK? did you experience the ''banter'' as it's being called on here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Manchurians dis Liverpudlians, yada yada yada, everyone in Ireland disses Kerry people.
    I've been on the receiving end of this "so-called" racism in london and after the initial barrage of to's and fro's we all end up great mates with a lot of respect for each other.
    If indeed it was actually racism that would never happen. You moaners have watched enough British television to know they like a good laugh.

It's a fact the English for the most part like the Irish a lot, because we can take a joke and give the same abuse back. There is a lot of racism in England mostly because of the jobs situation and schooling system, but that's another story but not towards the Irish.

If anything the Irish are more racist, I've witnessed this on many occasions and it's sickening. So stop this thread now, it's stupid in the extreme.
    This thread should be called the emo babba, if it aint broke I'll still moan thread!

stupid in the extreme
    Something certainly is.

Genuinely couldn't care less about the english, they can live forever or die tomorrow and it makes no difference to me.

nah, i think you got a chip on your shoulder...did something happen in your past?

even gerry isn't as bitter as you

Why is it you lot always seem to read from the exact same pamphlets? A bit of variety would be nice.

My lot? Who exactly are my lot?
    Nobody said they weren't Irish. However one can be a distinct minority in Irish society. Irish Protestants, African-Irish, Jews are all Irish citizens, yet form minorities within society.

Irish Protestants, Irish Muslims, Irish Jews, Irish Methodists, Irish atheists, African Irish, Polish Irish, Asian Irish, Chinese Irish, North American Irish, Arab Irish, Irish Travelers, Gay Irish, I could continue ..............

That's a hell of a lot of ethnic minorities/minorities.

Its a load of bollix. The only group of people living in the western world who will never be afforded minority status, are straight people of european descent.

The majority of babies born in America, are now of non european descent. The American left is slowly dropping the term minority and adopting the phrase "people that were historically oppressed".

So a second generation Chinese man is considered to be of a group that has been "historically oppressed" whilst a second generation immigrant from Kosovo, is considered to be "privileged"

Bollix. Absolute bollix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭delta_bravo

I have been to the uk about four times, never really had any trouble. I remember once my mother told me she was in London in the early 80s and in one of these sit down diners, wimpy I think it was and the management refused to serve them. That would have been in the dark days of anti Irish protests in the uk when the IRA were targeting english areas.

Have you lived in the UK? did you experience the ''banter'' as it's being called on here.

ya i did, london, midlands, wales...on the whole i got on fine no major hassle that i can think of...got the odd irish joke told to me..no big deal water off a ducks back.. anyway its hardly the crime of the century now is it

> the biggest irish piss take of all time is Father Ted and thats made by irish people starring irish people

ya i did, london, midlands, wales...on the whole i got on fine no major hassle that i can think of...got the odd irish joke told to me..no big deal water off a ducks back.. anyway its hardly the crime of the century now is it

> the biggest irish piss take of all time is Father Ted and thats made by irish people starring irish people

I don't think we are talking about a few Irish jokes or a TV programme.

Aye. Not wrong there, kid. Before I started a new job in America, the four Irish lads already working there, were having a peak at my FaceBook etc, sending me mails giving me advice on what I needed and all that jazz.

Six months down the line, Ive made some great friends there and started a relationship with one of my American co-workers. She filled me in with what was said before I arrived.

-"Cant trust Dubs".

-"All thieves"

-"Scumbags"

-"No respect for women".

Thats just the mild stuff. No wonder everyone was looking at me like I was Hannibal Lector when I started!

I love a good wind up and the banter between us Dubs and our country brethren, but I would I would never try and deliberately hurt another human being. If you give it, you get it back.

It was fellow Irishmen who put Dubliners in tenements. It was Irishmen that put vulnerable women in to the Magdalene laundries. It was Irishmen who turned a blind eye when communities were being wiped out by heroin.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭Mallei

The Welsh are ok, not like the English. Probably because they've had to put up with the same sort of "banter" for decades too, although at least the Welsh were never outright discriminated against.

The old mantra of "no blacks, no dogs, no Irish" is still held true by many in the UK.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Something certainly is.

ya, you

I don't think we are talking about a few Irish jokes or a TV programme.

we're talking about irish racism/paddywhackery...and some people have said that they feel that irish jokes are racist, personally speaking i don't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

My lot? Who exactly are my lot?

Irish Protestants, Irish Muslims, Irish Jews, Irish Methodists, Irish atheists, African Irish, Polish Irish, Asian Irish, Chinese Irish, North American Irish, Arab Irish, Irish Travelers, Gay Irish, I could continue ..............

That's a hell of a lot of ethnic minorities/minorities.

Its a load of bollix. The only group of people living in the western world who will never be afforded minority status, are straight people of european descent.

The majority of babies born in America, are now of non european descent. The American left is slowly dropping the term minority and adopting the phrase "people that were historically oppressed".

So a second generation Chinese man is considered to be of a group that has been "historically oppressed" whilst a second generation immigrant from Kosovo, is considered to be "privileged"

Bollix. Absolute bollix.

Society is just a collection of minorities on so many levels.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

K-9 wrote: »
    Society is just a collection of minorities on so many levels.

This is what I'm getting at! I would go so far as to say if you put two men in a room for a year, only one would walk out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 512 ✭✭✭GaryIrv93

Nothing's ever happened to me, even got on well with a few NI lads while visiting France a few years ago at our campsite. Considering they were Northern Irish I was expecting trouble when we started talking to each other but they turned out to be pretty sound, with no mention of religion, political beliefs etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭golden lane

Nah man, non Irish people say it something like "the crayke was amazing" or "The Irish love the crayke"

The lads hanging around Amsterdam central station have it down to a T though, their mad for the craic.

Sort of like when a German lad walked up to me in cork looking for Meechel Gúinneays

craike is origionally a norther english word for having fun....

nah, i think you got a chip on your shoulder...did something happen in your past?
    Yes I signed up to boards and started reading some of the tripe in AH. You've a plethora of links and resources already supplied, anti Irish racism is alive and well.
    we're talking about irish racism/paddywhackery...and some people have said that they feel that irish jokes are racist, personally speaking i don't
    Here's a good litmus test for you - substitute the words "black man" for "Irishman" in these jokes and see how they roll of the tongue then. Bit too 1950s? Racist.

craike is origionally a norther english word for having fun....
    What? It means "hill" in old and middle english.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

I think as post-colonising nations go, the UK is pretty sound. British mainstream culture has changed a lot in the last few decades. No point pretending it hasn't. My oh was beat up for having an Irish accent once but I've never had a problem with a British person. Anecdotal but true! Met two young fellas who laughed when I told them I was doing Irish once. They genuinely thought I was making up a language. :) Very innocent though. I find they often know very little about Irish history or think the IRA were the only terrorists in NI, that kind of thing. Nothing offensive or racist.

Have met anti-Irish people from elsewhere though. One from New Zealand (very unusual I know). He'd been living with a Protestant from NI and been indoctrinated into the teachings of Ian Paisley. Felt compelled to inform us of this after five mins of us walking into a hostel. We were teenagers, he was well into his thirties. Obnoxious eejit. I put him in his place though. Calmly and comprehensively. He wasn't expecting that. :cool: D*&$head.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Ms.M wrote: »
    I think as post-colonising nations go, the UK is pretty sound. British mainstream culture has changed a lot in the last few decades. No point pretending it hasn't.
    +1. Their attitudes to class and race among themselves is very different to even a generation ago.
    I find they often know very little about Irish history or think the IRA were the only terrorists in NI, that kind of thing. Nothing offensive or racist.
    Yea back in the 90's I was in a pub in Southampton that had banknotes from around the world behind the bar. If you had one they didn't you got a beer in exchange. I noticed there were no Irish punts, so I offered one and quite a few of them(mostly younger ones funny enough) were surprised we had our own money and were handing the note around and wanted to see other notes and coins. The discussion went on for a bit and some thought we were part of the commonwealth and were independent the way the Isle of man is. Because we've been exposed to their culture and they get very little of ours(and much of it until recently enough was in the context of NI) we tend to know a lot more about them than the other way around. I've been in conversations with British people and knew more about some of their history than they did, which can freak them out a bit too. :)

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

Advertisement