Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

IrishAm wrote: »
    You must have swallowed the peeceee guidebook. If your uncle was 80, you must be now 50-60. Good stuff. You will be maggot food soon.
    :D nope. Maths isn't exactly your strong point as your "statistics" on black on white crime illustrated. Nor is logic. 1) there can be large gaps in families when it comes to siblings. 20+ years in some cases. 2) men can marry late and father children well into their dotage. 3) he wasn't my mothers brother. 4) if my uncle died in his 80's and I was 60, I'd likely make another two + decades, so hardly "wormfood" yet :D.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Wibbs wrote: »
    :D nope. Maths isn't exactly your strong point as your "statistics" on black on white crime illustrated. Nor is logic. 1) there can be large gaps in families when it comes to siblings. 20+ years in some cases. 2) men can marry late and father children well into their dotage. 3) he wasn't my mothers brother. 4) if my uncle died in his 80's and I was 60, I'd likely make another two + decades, so hardly "wormfood" yet :D.

Be quiet old man :p
    Only messing and of course you are right about the gap in families. My youngest brother is same age as my oldest nephew and niece.

I think it was harder for the Irish in the UK when the IRA were active and who can blame them for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Doc Ruby wrote: »
    Observe the evidence of the effects of shining a light into the dark corners. It is viewed literally as an attack on their ethnic and cultural identity, exactly as I said.

The funny thing is, I really couldn't have given a crap before stumbling across AH. All this stuff takes about sixty seconds to uncover on google. That whole Northern Ireland being the most racist place on earth, I found that out after a side chat with Dudess I think it was - just for pig iron I googled the most racist country, and...

...ah geeeez...

You're not shining a torch on anything Doc, you are just enjoying an anti English rant.

You've been called up several times by Irish posters who live in England and who know first what it is like to live there, but you choose to ignore these and come up with baseless accusations.

By this stage though everyone can see straight through you.

You are desperate for the English to hate the Irish so that you can justify your own prejudices, but the truth is, the Irish are welcomed by all rather than a small minority.

Your own hatred is just xenophobia, deal with it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

hondasam wrote: »
    I think it was harder for the Irish in the UK when the IRA were active and who can blame them for that.
    I dunno, the aforementioned uncle reckoned it was worse in the 50's and 60's than during the Troubles. There were serious perversions of justice during said troubles, corrupt police(though the locals had their fill of that too) and the Birmingham 6 etc, but he reckoned the face to face guff had quieted down.

His take that some of this was down to the influx of darker folks from the Caribbean and the subcontinent and that softened attitudes towards the Irish as at least they were white kinda thing.

His other observation was on accents during the Troubles. Him with his softer Dublin accent was rarely commented on and not to nearly the same extent as someone with an Ulster accent. Their queen loved Terry Wogan and Val Doonican and all that :D On one occasion he actually saw suspicion and barely concealed discomfort on the part of a group he was in when someone from the north was introduced. The joke was it turned out he was a unionist. Even when the uncle explained this afterwards to them they were still edgy.

Again down to perceptions and lack of information. All they heard when they watched the news of bombings and shootings and bloody mayhem was an Ulster accent and as an automatic thing assumed the worst. Like today if some Muslim bloke who as shít scared of flying mumbled Allahu akbar as a nervous prayer to not die in a plummeting aircraft his co flyers beside him would likely empty their bowels.

Plus they weren't really informed of the back story. He also got the impression they often saw Unionists as alien, if not more so than Nationalists and much more so than people from the Republic. Actually I recall reading some survey or other taken in the UK about accents and in the top three accents that soothed British ears was a soft southern Irish accent, but near the top of accents that put them on edge was a northern Irish accent(and south African. IIRC this survey was in the 80's).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭Doc Ruby

You're not shining a torch on anything Doc, you are just enjoying an anti English rant.

You've been called up several times by Irish posters who live in England and who know first what it is like to live there, but you choose to ignore these and come up with baseless accusations.
    Do you just read the words you see in front of you and repeat them back like some sort of parrot?

I've deliberately added no anecdotes of my own, preferring instead to first find evidence and then present it, via links and studies. That means what I say is based on reality.

You and your couple of fellow travellers however, with your endless stream of anecdotes (apparently you lot were the most hated people in Ireland), now that's baseless.
    You are desperate for the English to hate the Irish so that you can justify your own prejudices, but the truth is, the Irish are welcomed by all rather than a small minority.
    The facade begins to crack, the pillars to shake, and your world starts to come tumbling down. Unable to provide evidence to the contrary, unable to argue the point, you resort instead to ad hominems and personal attacks.

Seriously though, its people like you that cause people like me to hold up a mirror to you. If you lot had managed to keep the race hate buttoned up I'd have gone on my merry way none the wiser. But now here we are, and your country's disgrace has been spewed all over the internet. What a show.
    Your own hatred is just xenophobia, deal with it.
    That your word for the day, is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Pee wee stairmaster

My own two cents; I lived in the UK for nearly three years (mostly London) and by and large I found the English to be extremely tolerant in general towards us Irish. Keep in mind that the troubles were in full swing at the time with a number of bombs going off in the UK at Army recruitment offices and other barracks' and despite that none of my work colleagues ever made derogatory remarks.
    In fact the only incident that I can remember was when I was in a pub with a friend, we were deep in conversation minding our own business when a punter remarked '****ing Irish' to us as he left. We both laughed and ignored it.

• Site Banned Posts: 165 ✭✭narddog

Interesting thread.

The most hassle I've ever had was from a fellow Irish lad. Was living in Oz and working for a plumber. Went to a party he was having and his brother was acting like a complete cnut towards me. Had never met him before, so was stumped as to the hostility.

Finally, as the party was winding down, and the drink had been drunk, I found out the reason. The week previous I had gone to a 500cc Motor race in Sydney. Bought a shirt there that had the Oz flag in the corner. This moron took exception to an Irish person wearing a Union Jack on his tee shirt. I broke out laughing, told him that he was a fooking idiot and left. I added that if he disapproved of the UJ so much, maybe he would consider moving to a country where she wasn't head of state. His brother was a top bloke though!

Have lived all over the place and the advantages of being Irish far outweigh the disadvantages. Being a muppet isn't confined within borders, it's everywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,884 ✭✭✭Eve_Dublin

Just a question, why is there such a focus on the abuse the Irish have faced in England but not in other countries? Examples have been given on this thread about abuse from Australians, Danish, Americans etc. but yet some posters continue focusing on the English. Just going to ignore those stories to suit your own agenda are we?

Surely it proves there's arseholes the world over, no?

Do you just read the words you see in front of you and repeat them back like some sort of parrot?

I've deliberately added no anecdotes of my own, preferring instead to first find evidence and then present it, via links and studies. That means what I say is based on reality.

You and your couple of fellow travellers however, with your endless stream of anecdotes (apparently you lot were the most hated people in Ireland), now that's baseless.

The facade begins to crack, the pillars to shake, and your world starts to come tumbling down. Unable to provide evidence to the contrary, unable to argue the point, you resort instead to ad hominems and personal attacks.

Seriously though, its people like you that cause people like me to hold up a mirror to you. If you lot had managed to keep the race hate buttoned up I'd have gone on my merry way none the wiser. But now here we are, and your country's disgrace has been spewed all over the internet. What a show.

That your word for the day, is it?

You seriously need to deal with that chip dude.

• Advertisement

Eve_Dublin wrote: »
    Just going to ignore those stories to suit your own agenda are we?
    You certainly seem intent on downplaying anti Irish racism in the UK, do you have an agenda? No? Its almost like conversations go particular directions and draw people in on that basis.
    You seriously need to deal with that chip dude.
    Yes, because anyone pointing out well supported reality must be holding a grudge of some sort. Empty anecdotes that support your worldview on the other hand can be held up as gold-bathed scripture.

You certainly seem intent on downplaying anti Irish racism in the UK, do you have an agenda? No? Its almost like conversations go particular directions and draw people in on that basis.

Yes, because anyone pointing out well supported reality must be holding a grudge of some sort. Empty anecdotes that support your worldview on the other hand can be held up as gold-bathed scripture.

Downplay something I've never experienced in my 3 years there? As I said, not saying it doens't go on but why ignore the fact that it's happened elsewhere too? You haven't commented on those experiences and I'm asking why. I asked a reasonable question so why not answer it without coming across like you've 50 skinned kittens locked up in your basement...

As I said, not saying it doens't go on but why ignore the fact that it's happened elsewhere too? You haven't commented on those experiences and I'm asking why.
    Obviously there's no way to verify whether they are true or false. Unlike all of your "experiences" I prefer to support what I'm saying with actual facts.
    I asked a reasonable question so why not answer it without coming across like you've 50 skinned kittens locked up in your basement...
    And we have a winner for the closely contested most bizarre comment of the thread award. Tell me if they were skinned why would I need to lock them up. For starters.

Devil's post.

Yes, never gotten one of them before, that was a bit of work, cheers for all the help folks.

o/

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭raymann

ive lived in the uk, the states, spain and now france. i never once experienced any more grief in the uk than in any of the other countries. if anything my experience was the opposite.

there is a certain type of irish person that loves the role of 'victim', especially in relation to our neighbor. im not saying thats you, but i am saying that its becoming increasingly irrelevant and an embarrassment to the rest of us.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭Augmerson

50 skinned kittens locked up in your basement...

50 skinned kittens really rolls off the tongue. There should be a girl band named 50 skinned kittens.

• Advertisement

Obviously there's no way to verify whether they are true or false. Unlike all of your "experiences" I prefer to support what I'm saying with actual facts.

And we have a winner for the closely contested most bizarre comment of the thread award. Tell me if they were skinned why would I need to lock them up. For starters.

Because your barmy?

Sorry man....no offence like....but you do come across a bit loo-la on this thread. Free the kittens! (although not much good now that you've skinned them :mad: )

:) (Please take this with a bit of humour and don't bite my head off).

P.S: I generally like loo-la so no worries. Just think you need to relax a bit there...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,017 ✭✭✭SharpshooterTom

Yes and I wasn't even born and bred in Ireland. I was born in England and lived there till I was 14, then moved here, still speak with an English accent, couple of interesting episodes:

- Friends father (who was a para in NI) refused to let me into his house because I wore a ROI jersey (just after the Lansdowne road riots)
    - I was constantly teased by being called Irish from friends and parents alike.
    - My music teacher used to tease me by speaking to me in a Irish accent and asking "so where have you Flynns got your caravans parked in Ipswich then?!"
    - An ex school friend, who turned out to be my bully, his mother came to my house, approached my mother and called her and Irish whore, and that it was a shame that the Irish famine didn't wipe us all out. :eek:
    - Lots of people repeatedly said to me I was an illegal immigrant and I should f*ck off back to Ireland. Get out of her you mick etc.

So even though I speak with an English accent, I've never really considered myself English understandably :o Don't get me wrong not all English people are like this and I'm glad more Irish people have positive experiances of the UK these days. I don't really at times consider myself Irish either at times because of my accent, but I will never myself as a true Brit, never. I was born a foreigner over there, I will die a foreigner over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭Cybercubed

A few times in America and Australia etc, and yes even Britain, Scotland particularly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes a few places. England been the most aggressive. One thing if somebody is angry at you and says something derogatory. The outbursts for no reason or minor slight is another.
    I was in Dublin when a guy called me several names because I got served before him. For some reason he thought I was American don't think he hated Americans just angry at me.
    It depends on the situation if it has areal racist slant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

I've never had any issue anywhere to be perfectly honest with the only exception being Northern Ireland.

We had our Cork-registered car attacked with rocks in an area of Belfast because we took a wrong turn.

Northern Ireland's a bit 'special' though. I wouldn't really consider the attitudes up there normal.

I've actually had very pleasantly warm reactions to being Irish in England. They occasionally inadvertently cause offense by including us in "the home nations" or even "the UK" out of sort of lack of geopolitical knowledge / just trying to be friendly and express that they don't really think of us as 'foreign' any more than Scotland is. I don't think it's meant as some kind of colonial land grab, just more proximity / familiarity.

The reactions I've had to being Irish in France are *extremely* positive. They seem to see us as fellow anti-monarchists and mostly are aware of Beckett, Oscar Wilde etc etc. Many in the Southwest of France are also very aware of the Irish connections due to the Flight of the Wild Greece etc.

I know I've had experiences like being in a small hotel in the Southwest of France where when they discovered we were Irish and not English the price was reduced and the better menu came out for dinner :D

It's amazing the difference in reaction when you make a bit of an effort with French language too.

• Advertisement

Solair wrote: »

I know I've had experiences like being in a small hotel in the Southwest of France where when they discovered we were Irish and not English the price was reduced and the better menu came out for dinner :D

Me too and I usually walk out if that happens. You didn't like me when you thought I was British but now I'm Irish, you love me? The exact same person you were just really rude to? Talk about xenophobia and bigotry. Complete knobends, tbh. I wouldn't have given them my money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Nope

Worked with a Spanish lad though
    Well I was wrong, I called him Spanish and he got aggressive over it

Not Spanish, he was Basque. Extremely precious over it

I didn't mean any offense, relax! :(

Me too and I usually walk out if that happens. You didn't like me when you thought I was British but now I'm Irish, you love me? The exact same person you were just really rude to? Talk about xenophobia and bigotry. Complete knobends, tbh. I wouldn't have given them my money.

Yeah, I agree with that and I would also add that I don't think there are many English tourists in France who don't make a big effort. It's the sort of destination that tends to attract shall we say 'geekier' tourists, retired people who want to do landscape painting, wine buffs, and people who actually go there to appreciate the food, the landscape, the culture etc and they spend a LOT of money in rural France too.

I do think that sometimes the French locals can have a bit of a ridiculous attitude towards tourists from the UK and also the Netherlands and forget that without these people many rural areas would struggle badly.

They can have an equally nasty attitude towards Parisians too btw!

I like aspects of France, but sometimes I find that they can adopt a very xenophobic and totally unwarranted 'superior' attitude. I think it's just a sign of an aging population that was last 'avant garde' in the 1960s/1970s and is very much entering a sort of conservative, boring, grumpy phase.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 cricketfan

No longer surprised with the level of polite ignorance there is in the UK over Ireland. I've come across people there who think we are part of the UK, a bit like Scotland. Amazing ignorance over the troubles as well. Not surprising with so many Irish accents amongst celebrities in the UK.

Found all the UK people I've met to be very positive about Ireland. Amazed at those who tell me their grandparents or even further back came from somewhere over here. Then that's usually countered with the fact they've never ever been here. Not sure if it's ever been surveyed but I'd reckon the percentage level of those in the UK who have been to Ireland must be very small. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's in single figures.

Yeah, I agree with that and I would also add that I don't think there are many English tourists in France who don't make a big effort. It's the sort of destination that tends to attract shall we say 'geekier' tourists, retired people who want to do landscape painting, wine buffs, and people who actually go there to appreciate the food, the landscape, the culture etc and they spend a LOT of money in rural France too.

I do think that sometimes the French locals can have a bit of a ridiculous attitude towards tourists from the UK and also the Netherlands and forget that without these people many rural areas would struggle badly.

They can have an equally nasty attitude towards Parisians too btw!

I like aspects of France, but sometimes I find that they can adopt a very xenophobic and totally unwarranted 'superior' attitude. I think it's just a sign of an aging population that was last 'avant garde' in the 1960s/1970s and is very entering a sort of conservative, boring, grumpy phase.

the rural French don't like anybody non French from what I can tell. Incidentally, as much as the French hate the English, there are now more French people living in London than Marseille.

I've just come back from a week in the canaries where we stayed in a German hotel. The reaction we received was intriguing.

The Germans were great but the only people we connected with were Austrian, French and Indian (all of whom lived in Germany).

At check in, the receptionist called me Irish and explained we were the only non German speaking family in the hotel. When I pointed out I was English he smiled and we chatted about the time he worked in England and how much he enjoyed it.

One of the bar staff was similar and went off on a. It of a rant about working four years in Kent and not receiving anything like the number of insults he'd received in four months in this hotel. He was a great guy, although he didn't leave much room for the tonic in my G&T!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

No. I can't ever recall being harangued for my nationality. The rural French can be rude, but it wasn't on the basis of where i was from.

Apparently Londoners have a reputation for being cold, but I found any i talked to were friendly and helpful, except for one bouncer who pulled me by the back of neck as i was about to wash my hand after taking a pee. He then kept insisting on calling me young man- despite me pointing out the fact he is probably the same age as i am or younger:pac: Anyway I reacted negatively to him doing this, I should have just walked off immediately without saying anything.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 921 ✭✭✭Border-Rat

the_syco wrote: »
    I think it's more of a case that when they hear someone speaking english they see you as being english, until you let them know that you're Irish.

Just make sure you let people know you're from Ireland.

Was in Nantes, France, trying to get a room for the two nights in hotels and hostels.

No room.
    All booked out.
    No speak English.

So instead of "do you speak english?" I asked "do you speak Irelanda?".

"Ah, you Irish. Let me check; yes we have two rooms."

Said two rooms had a nice fan on them, proper wooden shutters (to stop the room heating up in the morning), and ensuites.

As much as you get the odd twat that hates the Irish, lots more people hate the english but love the Irish - 90% of the French people I talked to (hotel staff/pub staff/security/police/taxi drivers/shop staff/random people on the street) seemed to have had a sister/brother/cousin/uncle/grandfather/friend/etc that had been on holiday to/studied at/lived in Ireland for random periods of time, who had a great experience, and told other of their fondness of Ireland.

So next time you experience bigotry from an english person, remember that they'll experience a lot more bigotry from lots of nationalities all around the world, and smile at them.

This reminds me of a story that cretin Kevin Myers wrote about, where he called the French a bunch of racists. He said he was in France and was caught speeding. When pulled over he was being wrote up and the cop asked for ID. He protested in English to no avail. He pulled out his Irish passport and the cop tore up the ticket. The cop pointed out that he should've pointed out he was Irish. Heard a similar story from a mate in France who was there for the Rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

cricketfan wrote: »
    No longer surprised with the level of polite ignorance there is in the UK over Ireland. I've come across people there who think we are part of the UK, a bit like Scotland. Amazing ignorance over the troubles as well. Not surprising with so many Irish accents amongst celebrities in the UK.

Found all the UK people I've met to be very positive about Ireland. Amazed at those who tell me their grandparents or even further back came from somewhere over here. Then that's usually countered with the fact they've never ever been here. Not sure if it's ever been surveyed but I'd reckon the percentage level of those in the UK who have been to Ireland must be very small. I wouldn't at all be surprised if it's in single figures.

Was always surprised myself at the amount of English folk who've never been here, I was born in England to Irish parents and spent every summer here, I think the underlying lack of curiosity on their part stems from the fact that they regard us as ''British'' and merely another part of the British Isles where for the most part things aren't too different to England setting and weather wise and therefore it's not worth shelling out hundreds of pounds to visit compared to Spain,France or places further afield. For instance, if you walk around the shopping area around Jervis St you could just as well be in Plymouth, Leeds or Nottingham.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

dd972 wrote: »
    Was always surprised myself at the amount of English folk who've never been here, I was born in England to Irish parents and spent every summer here,
    I imagine if you look into, you'd find similar experiences here in Ireland. Practically everyone I knew had been to the UK at least once on the ferry, but I've no doubt that many hundreds of thousands of Irish people would have regarded Dublin or Kerry as being a foreign holiday, Belfast would be exotic.

In the eighties, having a holiday home in Co. Wexford was the modern equivalent of a Spanish villa.

dd972 wrote: »
    Was always surprised myself at the amount of English folk who've never been here, I was born in England to Irish parents and spent every summer here, I think the underlying lack of curiosity on their part stems from the fact that they regard us as ''British'' and merely another part of the British Isles where for the most part things aren't too different to England setting and weather wise and therefore it's not worth shelling out hundreds of pounds to visit compared to Spain,France or places further afield. For instance, if you walk around the shopping area around Jervis St you could just as well be in Plymouth, Leeds or Nottingham.

I don't think the English generally think of the Irish as British, it's more like "One of us" really.

Just as there may be very few English people that have been to Ireland, there are probably very few that have been to Scotland or Wales. And lets face it, when you've only got a few days holiday each year, would you go somewhere wet and beautiful, or hot?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

My days in London were good and i never received any abuse .The leftie Nationalists love to Harp on that one over a pint with 'the fields of athenry' playing in the background but ask your average paddy and it's a good story .Brits in London make better employers .That may be due to legislation though .I worked among brits mostly and mixed nationalities not paddies humpin' around a building site .I worked in Pubs too over there .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

When I was living in Oz working as an electrician, one of the lads seen me wiring a complicated board. He said "I thought Irish were stupid, how do you know how to do that ?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,017 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

I don't think the English generally think of the Irish as British, it's more like "One of us" really.

Just as there may be very few English people that have been to Ireland, there are probably very few that have been to Scotland or Wales. And lets face it, when you've only got a few days holiday each year, would you go somewhere wet and beautiful, or hot?

Personally I'd prefer to go to Wales or Scotland. I love the welsh valleys- and as a now deceased outdoorist use to say:" there is no such thing as bad weather, just ill-equipped humans" Well of course there are holes to be picked in, but in general i agree with that sentiment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭indioblack

cricketfan wrote: »

I find the lack of knowledge in many people in England as regards Ireland and, specifically, Anglo-Irish history very irritating.
    The two countries have a shared, sometimes troublesome history.
    Being half Irish, and having had to endure the occaisional lecture on the misdeeds of the English in Ireland, (usually from relatives), I thought that if I was going to have to debate this history with them, it was in my own interest to learn a little of it - then at least I could lose the argument without appearing a complete ignoramus!

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭fundlebundle

I only got abuse for being Irish in America. In a liqueur store I showed my passport and was told to get out. I asked why and was told "no n****rs, no Irish" followed by few cheers from the queue behind me. I just laughed at them and left but admittedly felt pretty crap about it.

I only got abuse for being Irish in America. In a liqueur store I showed my passport and was told to get out. I asked why and was told "no n****rs, no Irish" followed by few cheers from the queue behind me. I just laughed at them and left but admittedly felt pretty crap about it.

What kind of hell-hole part of the US were you visiting?!
    chrismon wrote: »
    When I was living in Oz working as an electrician, one of the lads seen me wiring a complicated board. He said "I thought Irish were stupid, how do you know how to do that ?"

The only response to that is "So, which penal colony did your family escape from?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,930 ✭✭✭Jimoslimos

Sh1t that's awful! Did you get a look at them or were their heads covered with a white triangular pointed sheet?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭swimming in a sea

It's amazing the difference in reaction when you make a bit of an effort with French language too.

All these comments seem to be making the French seem like a very bitter people with a fair hatred to England, even though they always try to portray themselves as aloof, they must really have an inferiority complex when it comes to the English.

As for me, not travelled as much as others here but never had any anti Irish attitude towards me.

I'd say the welcome in Western Australia would be fairly frosty to the Irish nowadays...

Not that I give 2 fu­cks about what an Australian thinks, but there you are.

• Advertisement

haha

• Site Banned Posts: 2,037 ✭✭✭paddyandy

We all carry two items abroad for one another as Irish people ; Reputation and Flag . Both are affected by behaviour .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭Mr_Spaceman

Don't forget not all scots are catholic
    Rangers supporters hate Irish aswell big time
    So as I said
    Gettin on a boat to England for payback
    Who's with me :P

Rangers supporters tend to hate Irish republicanism. Not Irish people in general.

Of course you get idiots everywhere but you're making a sweeping statement which doesn't help here.

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭PrincessLola

Thats just strange, and irrational. And I say that as an Irish peron.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Ms.M

A couple of foreign lads have been "nasty" in my experience. I sound dead sexy when I say "giz a go on ya".
    Boom chicka wow wow!

* I know this is a terrible post. I'm sorry. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

paddyandy wrote: »
    We all carry two items abroad for one another as Irish people ; Reputation and Flag . Both are affected by behaviour .

Really? I tend to bring a good attitude and appreciation for the country I'm visiting, what nationality I am doesn't come into it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭Jorah

The amount of times I've heard British people say Britain is the home of the English, Irish, Scottish and Welsh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,219 ✭✭✭woodoo

I'm a bit surprised at the posts about the danish being a bit anti irish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Claregirl

This thread reminds me of....

Satellite News Channel interview with Euro 2004 fans in Lisbon...
    The reporter asked one man if he was disappointed that England had lost.
    The man replied, "Not at all, I'm Irish, I'm from Waterford".
    The reporter then asked, "But would you not support England when Ireland are not in the competition?"
    The man replied "Jaysus no way".
    Reporter: "Why not?"
    Man: "800 years of oppression!!"
    Reporter: "Is there ever any time you would support England?"
    Man: "Maybe if they were playing Kilkenny!!!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

woodoo wrote: »
    I'm a bit surprised at the posts about the danish being a bit anti irish.

The Danish can be a bit nationalistic when they went to be, especially the older generations. It's not so much anti-Irish, it's anti-anything-not-Danish.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

Yep

I was working as a chef in england in a hotel been working there about a week when the Exacutive Chef walked over to me and said where do your loyalties lie...

I was like wtf ?

He gos queen or the ira... I put my knife about an inch into the chopping board found the duty manger told him what had been said to me and asked could my p45 be organized quickly walked back out picked up my knives... and left..

That fvcking pissed me off!

• Advertisement
Advertisement