Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,670 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Oddly enough, the only verbal I got was from a guy from Belfast. He did himself more damage than anything, because colleagues distanced themselves from him, not me.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 672 ✭✭✭Battered Mars Bar

...."now go home and get your f**kin' shine box"

You're no Joe Pesci OP. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 inda_kenny

Dudess wrote: »
    I didn't remotely suggest that. I've no time for either the persecution complex OR the "Yes we Irish are inferior" stuff.

me neither but im also accutely aware of the fact that some people are upset at the notion of an uppity paddy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

philstar wrote: »
    irish are no angels either....had english relatives who were driven off the road back in the H-block days, they paid the price for having a GB sticker on their car
    Oh this "The Irish are no angels" talk on the basis of a minority of psychos had to start of course...

oh would you ever get off your high horse:rolleyes:

i'm not saying that all irish are like that

and yes anti -english bigotry is commonplace in this country amongst a signicant minority, not all OK

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Oh this "The Irish are no angels" talk on the basis of a minority of psychos had to start of course...

minority? I grew up here in the70s and 80s as a foreigner and had a pretty unpleasant time. Don't underestimate how much Irish society has changed in this regard.

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Why do the Scots have a problem with us? In my experience the Scots loved us as they were hoping for freedom from British rule just as the Irish are.

your assumptions do not reflect reality , scotland has a history of sectarianism and antagonism towards irish catholics which is second to none , the old excuse is that the irish poured into glasgow around the time of the famine but that simply doesnt wash as they went to other parts of what was their own country at the time , ireland was part of the uk in the nineteenth century , most scots are presbyterian , anti catholicism has always been one of the central planks of that particular protestant denomination , england is mainly anglican and wales methodist , its no coincidence that anti catholic prejudice was never as much of an issue in theese places , why do you think it was such an issue in northern ireland , the unionists in northern ireland are all from scotland originally and the vast majority of them are presbyterian

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭problemchimp

Got stabbed in the neck in London 1989 for being an "Irish Baastard". Came a little bit close to death, although I didn't realise it at the time. Police caught him easily as he worked for the same company as me. He had previous.

Also, a "bird" from London asked me "what fackin boat did you come over on then"?
    "Probably the same one that dredged you up from the bottom of the Thames," I replied.
    Her English friends pissed themselves laughing at her.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

inda_kenny wrote: »
    you are correct about the poles getting stick in the US , btw , im my experience , the place where us irish get the most respect is in america bar the bible belt , the irish might be seen as lazy in the uk or even australia to a degree , in america and in particular in the north east , we are highly respected at every level and noted for our outstanding public service in areas like the police , the fire department and in local goverment , ive never met an american who did not openly appreciate my being irish

Actually I've heard that's not entirely true. My sister's boyfiend is in construction(like most Irish out there) and his boss can't get over how driven the Irish are. His boss says they never complain and do what they're told quickly and even do more on top.
    Apparently the Australians are very tough to manage and drag everything out to get more money, even to the point where they want more money for working on scorching hot days. He told me the saying they have for the Australians but I can't remember atm.
    This is all coming from an Aussie construction manager, not the words of my sister's bf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Right that's it time for payback
    Goin t get a boat over to england who's with me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

What's a high horse Philstar? Apart from a meaningless phrase?

I know you didn't say all Irish people are like that but I just don't see the need for the "Well we may criticise the actions of others but we have our own psychos too" stuff as if to almost try and justify wrongdoings. We KNOW psychos and bigots exist here - it doesn't excuse anything.

• Advertisement

bwatson wrote: »
    What's it like back there in the 17th century?

dont you mean 1690 , 12th of july and all that , pot kettle

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

So,

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Jaysus, I'd have come downstairs again too, but it would have been to strangle him with a fucking pint of Guinness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

What's a high horse Philstar? Apart from a meaningless phrase?.

.....being uppity, you have this pain in the hole habit of automatically responding to anyone who says anything remotely negative about ireland or the irish as having an "inferiority complex" its getting boring
    I know you didn't say all Irish people are like that but I just don't see the need for the "Well we may criticise the actions of others but we have our own psychos too" as if to almost try and justify wrongdoings. We KNOW psychos exist here - it doesn't excuse anything.

who the hell is trying to justify wrongdoings?? people are just relaying there stories of bigotry and if happens to include irish people being in the wrong then so what!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭donegal_road

Catxscotch wrote: »
    Why do the Scots have a problem with us? In my experience the Scots loved us as they were hoping for freedom from British rule just as the Irish are.

it goes back to the 30's and 40's where many Irish moved to Scotland to work.
    In 1937, at a time of considerable anti-Catholic hysteria directed against Irish workers in Scotland, the SNP warned of a "Green Terror" caused by Irish immigration, and called for the Scottish people to be given the "key to the racial destiny of their country" or face a race war.

link

The Scottish National Party were concerned during the 30's and 40's that the country was being over-run by Irish immigrants. Anti Irish sentiments were strong in certain communities, and when the Scottish themselves emigrated to Canada in the 60's, that sentiment traveled with them and unfortunately much of it is still alive today.

Don't forget not all scots are catholic
    Rangers supporters hate Irish aswell big time
    So as I said
    Gettin on a boat to England for payback
    Who's with me :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Got stabbed in the neck in London 1989 for being an "Irish Baastard". Came a little bit close to death, although I didn't realise it at the time. Police caught him easily as he worked for the same company as me. He had previous.

I'd a knife pulled on my in London once by a guy I worked with too (purely for being Irish). Didn't get stabbed though thankfully. I still think London is the most cosmopolitan place where you are least likely to get abuse for being Irish compared to some of the more provincial towns, specially anywhere near a military town.

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭chuky_r_law

mate of mine was in liverpool at the top of a queue for a taxi one night. the cab puulled up beside him but before he could get in this scally and his missus jumped in the back of the taxi before him. my mate looked in side and said 'excuse me thats my cab'. yer man in the cab turned to him and said 'fcuk you spud fcuker!' to this day my mate still pisses him self laughing at the phrase 'spud fcuker'

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

The thing people forget here is that an Irish person could be spotted among a crowded of Englanders in a second. The English have beady eyes and bigger backsides. They also tend to walk with a strange gait that lends their backbone a concave appearance when viewed from behind. The Irish and English are two distinct species and we don't share any evolutionary antecedence.

mate of mine was in liverpool at the top of a queue for a taxi one night. the cab puulled up beside him but before he could get in this scally and his missus jumped in the back of the taxi before him. my mate looked in side and said 'excuse me thats my cab'. yer man in the cab turned to him and said 'fcuk you spud fcuker!' to this day my mate still pisses him self laughing at the phrase 'spud fcuker'
    Ah yeah that's so true I love nothin more than cuddlin up with a good spud

• Advertisement

planetX wrote: »

minority? I grew up here in the70s and 80s as a foreigner and had a pretty unpleasant time. Don't underestimate how much Irish society has changed in this regard.

Spot on bud. People are well able to dish it out in this country but they get it back and there's a hissy fit all over the shop.

This thread is the most ridiculous thing I've seen on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭CajunPenguin

So,
    Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.
    When they shout english wánker shout back "no mate Irish legend!" most people love us, and it almost always works just to correct them. When I went to Barca they called me Delboy but then we told them we were Irish and they spoke Irish to us! :eek: Can you believe that? It was a school trip and they had better Irish than half the honours class. Ach d'fhreastail mé ar gaelscoil

philstar wrote: »
    .....being uppity, you have this pain in the hole habit of automatically responding to anyone who says anything remotely negative about ireland or the irish as having an "inferiority complex" its getting boring
    I do not say that about anyone who says "anything remotely negative about Ireland or the Irish", don't lie. I have plenty of criticisms of Irish society (but I'm part of that society too, so I'm not gonna be too deluded or self loathing).
    who the hell is trying to justify wrongdoings?? people are just relaying there stories of bigotry and if happens to include irish people being in the wrong then so what!!!
    Nothing wrong with that of course, I fail to see where I suggested it. But you and fryup essentially saying "We can't complain, there are bigots in Ireland too" is totally unreasonable. Not everyone shares your outlook.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

So as I said

You're determined to get on this boat aren't you?? :p

It's for the Duty Free tho really, isn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭RichieC

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Was a good craic, mostly the same as an Irish wedding.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

I sort of shrugged it off and went upstairs, after a while it was bugging the hell out of me so I went back downstairs.

Walked back over and told the guy in a very friendly way

"Hey look, you shouldn't say that sort of thing to people, its a bit racist"

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

I just thought 'for f&ck sake' and went to bed.

Over here in Holland i've only ever experienced racism because people here can't really tell the difference between England and Ireland, hence you get the whole 'English wánker' thing shouted at you sometimes.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience ?

You met a Tory... big woop. :pac:

kfallon wrote: »
    So as I said

You're determined to get on this boat aren't you?? :p

It's for the Duty Free tho really, isn't it?
    **** ya caught me oh well back to the drawing board
    Il come up with another plan

• Advertisement

Spot on bud. People are well able to dish it out in this country but they get it back and there's a hissy fit all over the shop.

This thread is the most ridiculous thing I've seen on here.
    What's ridiculous about it? People can't talk about experiences of something specific? And such a discussion doesn't mean a lack of acknowledgment that some Irish people can be prejudiced gimps too - I fail to see where anyone said that.
    I'd be hesitant to believe that a "majority" of Irish people gave Planetx grief growing up too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭dmcronin

Got some bother in Melbourne in an Irish bar from an obnoxious drunken Scot.

0/10 for choosing your venue to be a pr*ck.

NB Don't have a problem with Scots, just this one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

OP you'll find these individuals exist everywhere and there's not much difference between an Irish person calling somebody '' an English cnut ''or an English person saying '' you think Irish paddy '' or an Australian saying '' you pommy bastard /thick Irish paddy '' . These same people in many cases usually don't like their next door neighbour either, who might even be the same race as them so the race slagging is just another extension of their personalitys because basically, these people spend their lives been nasty to anybody simply because they can and like to .

I've had more English people say how much they like my Irish accent than any off the cuff remark about my nationality which is not to be confused with somebody who's downright racist and open about it .The latter in my expierence are in the minority .

What's ridiculous about it? People can't talk about experiences of something specific? And such a discussion doesn't mean a lack of acknowledgment that some Irish people can be prejudiced gimps too - I fail to see where anyone said that.
    I'd be hesitant to believe that a "majority" of Irish people gave Planetx grief growing up too.

Classic, exactly what I expected to hear. Just man up or woman up and take what I said with a pinch of salt.

I very much doubt it's exactly what you expected to read.

But anyhoo, you're unable to reply. That's cool.

• Advertisement

I very much doubt it's exactly what you expected to read.

But anyhoo, you're unable to reply. That's cool.

There's nothing to reply to. The post I dished out only needs a pinch of salt before consumption.
    Bon appetit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Morlar wrote: »
    Well I've never met an Irish person who was dissappointed at not recieving abuse for being Irish.

I just prefer to accept that every country (be it this one or England) has racist and/or sectarian citizens. That's not to negate the experience of people that have been abused (including myself) but you either accept that it happens everywhere - abhorrent as it is - and challenge it on a per-incident basis or you use it endlessly to validate certain preconceived ideas of nationality in your mind.

Depends on the kind of person you are really. I can do glib comments too but the above is what I actually think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,269 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Have found the English to be no problem any time I've worked there, I even had a boss in England who insisted on taking me and another colleague to the pub for the afternoon because it was Paddy's Day and we'd have been off work if were back home!

The only time I've ever had a negative reaction to being Irish was an extremely strange incident on the Isle of Skye in Scotland (bloody strange, rough place that I'm told has the record of having the most incidents of incest in the UK).

Myself and a few friends arrived into Portree around 5 and went straight out on a bar crawl. Come 1am and we're in the only nightclub in the area and I'm at the bar ordering a round when a local girl sidles up to me at the bar and starts flirting with me. About 3 sentences in she asks where I'm from and seconds after I say "Ireland", I'm on my back after being decked.

One of the girls with us wasn't drinking that night and witnessed the whole thing. I asked her the next day had I made some "smart" comment or something and she told me she'd no idea where it came out of: one minute I'm being hit on, the next I was just being hit!

(yeah, yeah, I know, decked by a girl. In my defense I'd been drinking for about 7 hours and think the shock had more to do with it than the punch).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭bwatson

Morlar wrote: »
    I agree with this. I think sometimes British people are intimidated by the Irish and the masking of this manifests itself in abuse.

Intimidated in what sense? Still thinking of terrorism when they here an Ulster accent? In my experience nothing of the sort is prevalent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

They don't know what an Ulster accent is

There know a hard Irish accent and a soft Irish accent and that's about it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

So,

Was at a wedding on the weekend in England, was never at a wedding in England before, live over in Holland so driving there wasn't to bad.

Was a good craic, mostly the same as an Irish wedding.

Late into the night we were in the bar and I was chatting to a guy, all very normal conversation. He seemed well educated, was a history teacher in a school apparently.

After a while myself and the missus said we were going to bed and headed off, while we were walking away the guy said 'Goodnight ya dumb paddy'

Walked back over and told the guy in a very friendly way

"Hey look, you shouldn't say that sort of thing to people, its a bit racist"

Guy was all very apologetic, said sorry and then I walked off, I walked around the corner and then heard him saying "These f*cking Irish micks should piss off back to where they came from"

I just thought 'for f&ck sake' and went to bed.

Anyone else ever had a similar experience ?

So you have to make the usual dig about how the whole world hates the English, yet you complain about someone milking the Irish?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭markc1184

Only once have I had any trouble. During the 02 world cup I was in Blackburn visiting some relatives. Took a walk to a local take away with a cousin wearing my Ireland jersey and got a load of abuse and a bit of a kicking from a group of Pakistani lads for being in "their country".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

stovelid wrote: »
    I just prefer to accept that every country (be it this one or England) has racist and/or sectarian citizens. That's not to negate the experience of people that have been abused (including myself)

No one has said otherwise. Btw there is a difference between Britain and england.
    ... you either accept that it happens everywhere - abhorrent as it is - and challenge it on a per-incident basis or you use it endlessly to validate certain preconceived ideas of nationality in your mind.

Those are options you have presented, but those are not the only 2 options here for how the discussion of this subject is framed.
    Depends on the kind of person you are really. I can do glib comments too but the above is what I actually think.

Not sure that needed to be re-iterated, you already made that clear when you said that some Irish people were almost disappointed not to receive abuse.

markc1184 wrote: »
    Only once have I had any trouble. During the 02 world cup I was in Blackburn visiting some relatives. Took a walk to a local take away with a cousin wearing my Ireland jersey and got a load of abuse and a bit of a kicking from a group of Pakistani lads for being in "their country".

While their actions were obviously completely intolerable in any decent person's mind, how do you know they were born in Pakistan and not Lancashire?

In my experience, I've found that some Irish I know seem almost disappointed if they don't encounter prejudice in England.

From an expierence I remember in England with one young Irish lad who went down the whole '' you don't like me because I'm Irish '' road ( which was embarrassing to see when you know that he was totally overreacting to something and nothing ) The same fella had very strong republican views which didn't endear him to anybody around including the other Irish people present to .

• Advertisement

It is peculiar the way it works on this forum though don't you think? One week its "How great is it to be Irish, I was in *insert destination here*... got heaps of abuse from a bunch of lads. Told them I was Irish not British and they bought me drinks" and then the next week its a thread like this. Its as if it doesn't matter what opinion people from overseas have of Irish people, just as long as they have some sort of reaction.

I've travelled a fair bit and background and nationality has never, ever had an effect on the way I have been treated. I must not have that gift of finding the generous bigots who love Irishness nor the ferocious racists who hate it. Maybe I don't interact enough with the local "working man"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,208 ✭✭✭keithclancy

So you have to make the usual dig about how the whole world hates the English, yet you complain about someone milking the Irish?

Not really .. in the Netherlands they don't really understand the geography of the UK/Ireland, everyone from the British Isles is English in their view.

An Irish person is an English person most of the time until you point out otherwise.

So when a Dutch Person makes a comment based on a previous event, it could easily be based on a prior experience of a Drunk Irish/Scot/Welsh person that was hammered on a night out in Amsterdam.

However just because it was targetted at a different nationality, it was still wrong and purely based on hearing me speak english as they walked past.

Living in a country now for 5 years (The Netherlands) and working in another Country (Germany) and after travelling quite a lot, I've never experienced someone specifically picking on myself because I'm Irish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 192 ✭✭secretambition

You can't really fully understand how a person reacts to you based on what they say to your face. Most people nowadays know that overt racism would get them fired if it were in a workplace or make a social situation awkward or even dangerous. It's just not acceptable anymore. What a person says about you behind your back is a different matter. You can pick up on vibes without ever hearing anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

Not really .. in the Netherlands they don't really understand the geography of the UK/Ireland, everyone from the British Isles is English in their view.

I know Irish people who are this ignorant actually, and insist that Northern Ireland is part of "England"!

Some of them are angry confused republicans.

Some of them are some sort of angry confused Irish neo-unionists. ("I'm Irish and I hate Ulster rugby and Rory McIlroy because they're English."

If you correct them they get very upset.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

Yup. A looong list.
    Charlie haughey
    , Bertie Ahern,
    Brian Cowen, Enda kenny,
    Angular Merkin
    (google 'merkin'. i just made a funny)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,306 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

An Irish person is an English person most of the time until you point out otherwise.
    I think it's more of a case that when they hear someone speaking english they see you as being english, until you let them know that you're Irish.

Just make sure you let people know you're from Ireland.

Was in Nantes, France, trying to get a room for the two nights in hotels and hostels.

No room.
    All booked out.
    No speak English.

So instead of "do you speak english?" I asked "do you speak Irelanda?".

"Ah, you Irish. Let me check; yes we have two rooms."

Said two rooms had a nice fan on them, proper wooden shutters (to stop the room heating up in the morning), and ensuites.

As much as you get the odd twat that hates the Irish, lots more people hate the english but love the Irish - 90% of the French people I talked to (hotel staff/pub staff/security/police/taxi drivers/shop staff/random people on the street) seemed to have had a sister/brother/cousin/uncle/grandfather/friend/etc that had been on holiday to/studied at/lived in Ireland for random periods of time, who had a great experience, and told other of their fondness of Ireland.

So next time you experience bigotry from an english person, remember that they'll experience a lot more bigotry from lots of nationalities all around the world, and smile at them.

You can blend in and assimilate in any western society without loosing who you are and the Irish have done it as good as any other race but that doesn't mean all people are going to like you simply because your Irish .So once you leave the race and nationality out of it , they can and do in my expierence, except and like you just as the person you are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I've had loads of people be nasty to me for being English. including some of you lot :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Someone got my folder and wrote BNP all over it when I was off
    It was my boss who discovered it

This is especially dumb because the BNP don't mind the Irish and their official stance is that they would like to welcome Ireland into a federation of the British Isles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 976 ✭✭✭Kev_2012

Never experienced any abuse in any part of england/northern ireland/france or canada.

Some black guy in gran canaria tried to sell me something and I said no thanks and walked on and he started shouting : "Hey you paddy! F*ck you paddy!" and all this crap, so I walked back towards him to see what his problem was and he ran off.

Advertisement