Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anyone ever nasty to you for being Irish

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

bwatson wrote: »
    It is peculiar the way it works on this forum though don't you think? One week its "How great is it to be Irish, I was in *insert destination here*... got heaps of abuse from a bunch of lads. Told them I was Irish not British and they bought me drinks" and then the next week its a thread like this. Its as if it doesn't matter what opinion people from overseas have of Irish people, just as long as they have some sort of reaction.

I've travelled a fair bit and background and nationality has never, ever had an effect on the way I have been treated. I must not have that gift of finding the generous bigots who love Irishness nor the ferocious racists who hate it. Maybe I don't interact enough with the local "working man"...
    Your snide "working man" comment aside, I agree with you all right that the above stuff is extremely cringey. Although loads of people are saying on this thread that they haven't had much abuse for being Irish, myself included.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

I know Irish people who are this ignorant actually, and insist that Northern Ireland is part of "England"!

Some of them are angry confused republicans.

Some of them are some sort of angry confused Irish neo-unionists. ("I'm Irish and I hate Ulster rugby and Rory McIlroy because they're English."

If you correct them they get very upset.

Technically they're wrong because Northern Ireland belongs to the "UK" and its inhabitance are "British" but you get what they mean so don't have a stick up your ass about it;)
    People only say the northeners are "English" because, well, England calls the shots the UK as far as the majority see anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Zillah wrote: »
    Never encountered anything blatant, and on the contrary I have gotten special treatment on at least a dozen occasions* for being Irish, but I have run into a very sneering sort of condescending attitude from some English people. If I hear one more bloody English person think it is hilarious to talk about Irish people pronouncing "thirty three and a third" I'll slap them. They're always disappointed though, South Dublin is not exactly the sort of accent they were expecting.

* My favourite was when myself, another Irish person and an English friend were booking a tour in Bolivia:
    Tour Guide: Where are you from?
    Me: Ireland.
    Tour Guide: *faces lights up* Ooooh, very good! And you?
    Irish Friend: Ireland too.
    Tour Guide: Great! Great! And you?
    English Friend: England.
    Tour Guide: *face drops instantly - voice goes flat* Oh....

Something kinda similar - was going through passport control in Schiphol airport. The guy stopped me and was looking really bad tempered. Asked me "Are you English"....I said that I was Irish. Grumpy face changed to a smile and he replied "Welcome, go on through and enjoy yourself". :)

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've had loads of people be nasty to me for being English. including some of you lot :(
    ****ing twats. Try not to give a sh1t. You've more brains than them for starters.
    Zillah wrote: »
    This is especially dumb because the BNP don't mind the Irish and their official stance is that they would like to welcome Ireland into a federation of the British Isles.
    They didn't like the Irish not long ago though. Guess fryup reckons we deserve it because of the IRA. :pac: Muslims are the "terrorist, savage race" that are more of a concern than the Irish these days, so it's ok to not hate the Irish.
    The BNP must be in a bit of a dilemma seeing as Muslims are now the ones to hate and therefore it's time to lick up to Jews... yet their leader is a Jew-hater. :pac:

Oh the far right - can always be relied on for hilarious stupidity. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

It is peculiar the way it works on this forum though don't you think? One week its "How great is it to be Irish, I was in *insert destination here*... got heaps of abuse from a bunch of lads. Told them I was Irish not British and they bought me drinks" and then the next week its a thread like this. Its as if it doesn't matter what opinion people from overseas have of Irish people, just as long as they have some sort of reaction.

I've travelled a fair bit and background and nationality has never, ever had an effect on the way I have been treated. I must not have that gift of finding the generous bigots who love Irishness nor the ferocious racists who hate it. Maybe I don't interact enough with the local "working man"...

You are not comparing like for like.

Irish are generally more popular in France, australia etc, particularly countries with a history linked to Britain. I have seen that first hand in those and other places.

Compared to British people, generally we recieve a less frosty reception.

In france I have had landladies change from frosty to overly warm and friendly on seeing the passport. In australia I recieved a warm welcome on the basis of an Irish shirt before even leaving the airport.

That is not to say that the british recieve abuse in those same places.

Just that some people in those countries prefer Irish to British.

Likewise in britain many british people prefer british to Irish, so in those same cases being Irish will go against you. That is all entirely seperate from the subject of verbal or physical abuse.

Those are two completely different things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

Morlar wrote: »
    No one has said otherwise. Btw there is a difference between Britain and england.

Are you just taking the piss at this stage?

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭onlyrocknroll

1ZRed wrote: »
    Technically they're wrong because Northern Ireland belongs to the "UK" and its inhabitance are "British" but you get what they mean so don't have a stick up your ass about it;)
    People only say the northeners are "English" because, well, England calls the shots the UK as far as the majority see anyway.

Ok...

Next time you meet someone from Scotland tell them they're only "technically" not English and see who has a stick up their ass.

stovelid wrote: »
    Are you just taking the piss at this stage?

No, are you ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Ruralyoke wrote: »
    It's funny, but IME (lived in England for a few years) the English whilst not particularly tolerant in general, were FAR more tolerant of the Irish than any other group.

Tricolours flying from Irish clubs, Irish nights in pubs etc, Paddys day mayhem - nobody seemed to bat an eyelid.

Heard/experienced plenty of negativity towards others though - blacks, asians, muslims etc etc

Probably because you're the same colour. Hateful I know but until you open your mouth you're generally thought to be white English. Mind you, I've never had any problems in England or anywhere in the North - lived and worked in both and got on great with everyone I dealt with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Morlar wrote: »

Likewise in britain many british people prefer british to Irish, so in those same cases being Irish will go against you.

Those are two completely different things.
    That's correct ,many people hold onto their Englisness /Britishness and like to mix with and stay with their own kind , just as many Irish do with their own culture and kind .
    That is all entirely seperate from the subject of verbal or physical abuse.
    Totally different yes .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,293 ✭✭✭1ZRed

Ok...

Next time you meet someone from Scotland tell them they're only "technically" not English and see who has a stick up their ass.

Well they wouldn't be English, they're Scottish and can also refer to themselves as British. Funnily enough my Scottish relatives are coming over this weekend so I'll come back to you if I had a stick up my ass or not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

FanadMan wrote: »
    Probably because you're the same colour. Hateful I know but until you open your mouth you're generally thought to be white English.

Sure, definitely that was part of it (I was in London by the way) but I'm also referring to when they knew I was Irish. It seemed to be viewed no differently than if I was a brummie or Welsh or something - that I wasn't quite one of them, but I more or less was.

That's another thing, for a city that's so progressive in many ways London can be amazingly parochial.

mikemac1 wrote: »
    They don't know what an Ulster accent is

There know a hard Irish accent and a soft Irish accent and that's about it
    The hard and harsh Irish accent is either an Ulster or Kerry one

You don't have to be the local '' working man'' to have bigotry or be a ferocious racist either but I suspect you know that anyway .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Martyn1989

BO-JANGLES wrote: »
    I'm a Dub and I've lived in many places world wide. Returned home and settled down in the country. Never felt like an outsider so much in my life. Still ablow in after seven years......

Again that works both ways, Ive worked in a few local Dublin pubs and the guy from the north is always 'the nordy' and god help the lad from Cavan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Latchy wrote: »
    From an expierence I remember in England with one young Irish lad who went down the whole '' you don't like me because I'm Irish '' road ( which was embarrassing to see when you know that he was totally overreacting to something and nothing ) The same fella had very strong republican views which didn't endear him to anybody around including the other Irish people present to .

I've seen similar on a number of occasions, from the Scots as well as the Irish.

For some reason, there is a minority that can't understand why they get abuse and told to **** off home when they are stood in a pub in England and start with the "anyone but England" or "800 years" or such ****.

The English are very tolerant, despite all the (tall) tales here, but there are those that like to take the piss.

... despite all the (tall) tales here, but there are those that like to take the piss.

Point out the tall tale why don't you ?

*So in other words some people are exaggerating and others were asking for it ?

I doubt you'd take that tone if some of the things posted here had happened to you on the basis of your accent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭Ruralyoke

The English are very tolerant, despite all the (tall) tales here

Troll alert :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Cullen82

I work as a Tour Guide/Leader across Africa, We get people of all ages backrounds and countries although majority of them are UK/OZ/NZ/Scandanavia/US..... Okay everywhere.

Have to say that consistently yes I've had to put up with quite a lot of nasty things said to me for the sole fact that I'm Irish....Being their Guide I need to be careful so biting of the tongue becomes a common thing.

It's alright someone taking the piss about how Irish drink a lot for example but on pretty much every trip I've run there's been someone I have been forced to take a huge disliken to because they don't like that I'm Irish and take things way too far....A small example was one guy who was constantly trying to get the group to refer to me as a potato instead of my name, It was funny for maybe a minute but went on for a couple of weeks until I finally told him under no uncertain terms I'd be leaving him at the next East African border post if he ever reffered to me in that way again....He understood....He even apologised....Of course he did, I could have left him stranded in the middle of nowhere. Anyway he did it behind my back for the rest of the trip and then on the very last day said it to me in front of the group again. I just laughed it off and called him a coward, which he was, but to be honest I still don't feel any better about the situation even today - just dissappointed that there's people out there like that. Some people are worthless.

It's strange, We have such a good reputation with most people but when you get someone that doesn't like our culture or whatever it is they have in their heads - it can be pretty harsh....We gotta roll with it though, Being Irish is awesome:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,129 ✭✭✭R P McMurphy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,024 ✭✭✭previous user

Just a bit north of London near Steveage.

Wow, thought London or close to London was more open minded then that, bet that teacher was probably from the midlands or up North, that might explain a few things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 42 inda_kenny

Latchy wrote: »
    The hard and harsh Irish accent is either an Ulster or Kerry one

You don't have to be the local '' working man'' to have bigotry or be a ferocious racist either but I suspect you know that anyway .

a kerry accent is probabley the softest accent in the entire world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Society in general is set up to be exclusive, we have teams, clubs, classes counties, provinces countries. Basically this sense of "identity" sometimes translates into racist comments, birds do it, animals do it, kids do it and adults are kids who learned to lie.

I read somewhere long ago about someone who painted a crow yellow and let him go, it's murder killed him because he was different. So the next time you spout some racist nonsense remember you are just acting like a dumb animal.

Cullen82 wrote: »
    I work as a Tour Guide/Leader across Africa, We get people of all ages backrounds and countries although majority of them are UK/OZ/NZ/Scandanavia/US..... Okay everywhere.

Have to say that consistently yes I've had to put up with quite a lot of nasty things said to me for the sole fact that I'm Irish....Being their Guide I need to be careful so biting of the tongue becomes a common thing.

It's alright someone taking the piss about how Irish drink a lot for example but on pretty much every trip I've run there's been someone I have been forced to take a huge disliken to because they don't like that I'm Irish and take things way too far....A small example was one guy who was constantly trying to get the group to refer to me as a potato instead of my name, It was funny for maybe a minute but went on for a couple of weeks until I finally told him under no uncertain terms I'd be leaving him at the next East African border post if he ever reffered to me in that way again....He understood....He even apologised....Of course he did, I could have left him stranded in the middle of nowhere. Anyway he did it behind my back for the rest of the trip and then on the very last day said it to me in front of the group again. I just laughed it off and called him a coward, which he was, but to be honest I still don't feel any better about the situation even today - just dissappointed that there's people out there like that. Some people are worthless.

It's strange, We have such a good reputation with most people but when you get someone that doesn't like our culture or whatever it is they have in their heads - it can be pretty harsh....We gotta roll with it though, Being Irish is awesome:rolleyes:

what did i say about catholicism being the only remaining respectable form of prejudice amongst western liberals , the same is true with us irish , mercilesley ripping the irish is seen as perfectly acceptable by WASP,s who would never dream of being prejudicial to people of other backrounds and would see themselves as perfectly respectable citizens in every shape and form , everywhere from australia to new zealand to canada , you need barley scratch beneath the surface and its there , old habbits die hard and the irish were synonymous with the lower orders along with africans for centurys , i had a situation down under a number of years ago with a supervisor who was a britt , i acted like a cork man with an inferiority complex in that i believed i was as good as anyone else , not good enough for this brit who saw such a possition as arrogance , uppity catholics or paddys could not be tollerated , when the situation turned serious , it was blatantly clear that brits were seen as more reliable and trustworthy and managment acted accordingly , wagons were circled and i was frozen out , dont mind what you hear from aussies or kiwis about them disliking the brits , deep down they doff the cap and have a huge reverence for the mother country

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭dpe

Generally speaking the only time I've ever seen out and out English racism towards the Irish has been drunk-football-fan related, but then I've seen "anyone but England" style behaviour from Scots, Irish and Welsh people on a regular basis. My missus did tell me about someone telling her to "f*ck off back to Dublin" on the Tube once. Generally speaking, amongst those with an IQ larger than their hat size, its seen as rather cool to be Irish in the UK these days.

The funniest I've had (I'm English btw), was actually in the US, where me and a mate were pulling three American girls in a bar; well, two of them; the third was Irish-American and refused to speak to us at all, and then started banging on about Oliver Cromwell and stuff and trying to get her mates to leave, which got blank faces from us and the two other girls (most English people, if they know about Oliver Cromwell at all, have no idea about his overseas adventures - I certainly didn't back then).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 800 ✭✭✭a fat guy

I think its only happened once or twice in my life, and those times would have been when I was very young.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 382 ✭✭eire-kp

The only abuse I ever got was in a bar in Houton, Texas. Two lads heard me talking to the bar man about what I was working at there and what part of Ireland I was from and started going on about the Irish coming over taking "their" jobs etc.

A man came over from a group and told them to shut the hell up that they were only fat wasters etc.
    Turned they group was a load of marines from the local base they knew Shannon airport well! Had a great night drinking with them:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭purplepanda

Know some English friends who say they are either Irish or Scottish when they visit France. the French can't usually tell the the difference between the accents & change their attitudes as soon as they believe someone isn't English or American, I've seen this happen on many occasions :rolleyes:

Different countries & peoples have attitudes towards others, not much you can do about that, just the way the world works, better off keeping away from these situations if you can! :D

The English are very tolerant but there are those that like to take the piss.
    I have said previously before on this forum that the English are more tolerant towards all other races , including the Irish than they are sometimes given credit for and I say as an Irishman living in England some 20 years now .They do also like to take the piss to ,something they have in common with the Irish and the Scots
    For some reason, there is a minority that can't understand why they get abuse and told to **** off home when they are stood in a pub in England and start with the "anyone but England" or "800 years" or such ****.
    The problem there is just as you wouldn't walk into a jewish synagogue with a swastika t shirt on or a KKK meeting with a Jimi Hendrix one ( nothing wrong with Jimi Hendrix t shirts either ) then it's common sense and courtesy to leave your politics or whatever other gripe you have about England outside the English pub and in the situation I recall with the young Irish lad ,the shop floor .

inda_kenny wrote: »
    a kerry accent is probabley the softest accent in the entire world
    The Kerry accent like a lot of southern Ireland accents is sweet to the ears but sometimes it can be lost in translation to the non Irish person abroad ...that was my point .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭IrishAm

Worked in hotels and bars for years in Dublin city centre and was only once given abuse for being Irish. That was by an English gentleman when I was night manager and I was explaining to him that the hotel bar had to close for one hour every twenty four, by law.

More to do with the drink than any inherent anti Irishness on his part, I reckon.

The vast majority of Brits are sound. Cant handle their ale, but.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

philstar wrote: »
    .....being uppity, you have this pain in the hole habit of automatically responding to anyone who says anything remotely negative about ireland or the irish as having an "inferiority complex" its getting boring
    Dudess wrote: »
    I do not say that about anyone who says "anything remotely negative about Ireland or the Irish", don't lie. I have plenty of criticisms of Irish society (but I'm part of that society too, so I'm not gonna be too deluded or self loathing)..

ya right:rolleyes:

here and here

and in other threads as well, you give the inferior complex line

Nothing wrong with that of course, I fail to see where I suggested it. But you and fryup essentially saying "We can't complain, there are bigots in Ireland too" is totally unreasonable. Not everyone shares your outlook.

i never said you can't complain:confused: where did i say that.....i'm just balancing things out thats all ....the irish get abuse but they give it out as well> as other posters have pointed out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

Never had a problem with being Irish. But like plenty of others have got plenty of grief here in Ireland because I'm from Dublin. I once met an English woman living here with her Dublin husband. They moved to Cork for a while but he came home one day and told her he was moving back to Dublin because he wouldn't take crap from Cork people anymore. She being English never had a bad moment.

My wife lived in London for years and also a loyalist area of the North. Never had a problem. A couple of my sisters and the brother also lived in Britain without a problem.

But my brother in law is London born with the appropriate accent living here. He gets occasional nasty comments.

You only have to read these very boards to find it full of anti English/British attitudes not to mention anti Dublin.

In my opinion anti Irish attitudes are the exception and comments are rare enough. Which is more than can be said about the Irish attitude to other nationalities. We have no reason to be feel that we're the victim of racism or prejudice on a regular basis. But we sure can dish it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭bacon?

couple of israli lads back in 2002, but, hey, what ever

philstar wrote: »
    ya right:rolleyes:
    I know I say there are some Irish people who have an inferiority complex (because there sure are) but not merely because of "anything remotely negative about Ireland or the Irish", moreso Irish people who'd say odious stuff like Irish people are in no position to criticise Willie Frazer because of Sinn Fein. I never voted Sinn Fein and never gave anyone sectarian abuse, therefore I will ****ing criticise Willie Frazer all I like. Collective responsibility bullsh1t is really dangerous thinking.
    The second one isn't even me saying that, it's me outlining how I equally dislike all the "Don't dare criticise Ireland" and "**** the Brits, 800 years, west Brit derpidy" stuff.
    I dunno... read posts properly?

:confused:are people being nasty at each other about whether anyone was ever nasty to them

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭Paddycrumlinman

Quite the opposite for me. I’ve lived in Florida for nearly 10 years now, and I’ve never had a bad word said against me, the total opposite. I can walk into any bar, shop store in Florida and once I open my mouth and my Dublin accent comes out people stop and all want to be my best friend. It’s brilliant. It’s like being a chick with a huge pair of boobs, once I talk, males and females alike want to get to know me and since I’m a cool guy in any case (Ha Ha), I’m never short of people to talk to.

Went to my local on Saturday to watch the CL Final, these regulars never watched Football, the other kind is all there interested in. A new guy was in the bar, heard my accent and sent me over a drink, said, that’s for being Irish!. Happened many a time with women also, fire a drink my way, ya can’t beat it. In 10 years I’ve lived here, if I had a euro for every time a female said my accent is so sexy, I could retire already. Not a day goes by with someone complementing me on my Irish / Dub Accent. They say when they listen it’s like I’m singing when talking..> LOL So dreamily and musically inclined. The gas things is, I’ve not a note in my head, tone deaf when I sing.

Love living over here, and my accent has got me places where I would not have got back home. Go on the Irish!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭amacca

A Spanish girl once nastied me for being Irish.

nastied = :confused:

as in doing the nasty?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,125 ✭✭✭westendgirlie

bluewolf wrote: »
    :confused:are people being nasty at each other about whether anyone was ever nasty to them

Yip :D

I'm watching it all fall apart from over here in the corner, munching me popcorn.

xflyer wrote: »
    Never had a problem with being Irish. But like plenty of others have got plenty of grief here in Ireland because I'm from Dublin. I once met an English woman living here with her Dublin husband. They moved to Cork for a while but he came home one day and told her he was moving back to Dublin because he wouldn't take crap from Cork people anymore. She being English never had a bad moment.

My wife lived in London for years and also a loyalist area of the North. Never had a problem. A couple of my sisters and the brother also lived in Britain without a problem.

But my brother in law is London born with the appropriate accent living here. He gets occasional nasty comments.

You only have to read these very boards to find it full of anti English/British attitudes not to mention anti Dublin.

In my opinion anti Irish attitudes are the exception and comments are rare enough. Which is more than can be said about the Irish attitude to other nationalities. We have no reason to be feel that we're the victim of racism or prejudice on a regular basis. But we sure can dish it out.
    I think that's a very fair comment and insight which put's some balance on the thread that could easy go one way or the other .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,986 ✭✭✭philstar

I know I say there are some Irish people who have an inferiority complex (because there sure are) but not merely because of "anything remotely negative about Ireland or the Irish",

well you aimed it at paddyandy harmless comment
    moreso Irish people who'd say odious stuff like Irish people are in no position to criticise Willie Frazer because of Sinn Fein. I never voted Sinn Fein and never gave anyone sectarian abuse, therefore I will ****ing criticise Willie Frazer all I like. Collective responsibility bullsh1t is really dangerous thinking.

thats on another thread, and i never said you can't criticise Frazer, stop trying to twist what i say

bacon? wrote: »
    couple of israli lads back in 2002, but, hey, what ever

israelis are known to be arrogant

• Advertisement

Quite the opposite for me. I’ve lived in Florida for nearly 10 years now, and I’ve never had a bad word said against me, the total opposite. I can walk into any bar, shop store in Florida and once I open my mouth and my Dublin accent comes out people stop and all want to be my best friend. It’s brilliant. It’s like being a chick with a huge pair of boobs, once I talk, males and females alike want to get to know me and since I’m a cool guy in any case (Ha Ha), I’m never short of people to talk to.

Went to my local on Saturday to watch the CL Final, these regulars never watched Football, the other kind is all there interested in. A new guy was in the bar, heard my accent and sent me over a drink, said, that’s for being Irish!. Happened many a time with women also, fire a drink my way, ya can’t beat it. In 10 years I’ve lived here, if I had a euro for every time a female said my accent is so sexy, I could retire already. Not a day goes by with someone complementing me on my Irish / Dub Accent. They say when they listen it’s like I’m singing when talking..> LOL So dreamily and musically inclined. The gas things is, I’ve not a note in my head, tone deaf when I sing.

Love living over here, and my accent has got me places where I would not have got back home. Go on the Irish!

your lust a lucky MOFO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Happy Monday

What part of Florida is this?
    And what's the closest airport?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

inda_kenny wrote: »
    israelis are known to be arrogant

What, all of them?

Cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭Sound of Silence

The thing people forget here is that an Irish person could be spotted among a crowded of Englanders in a second. The English have beady eyes and bigger backsides. They also tend to walk with a strange gait that lends their backbone a concave appearance when viewed from behind. The Irish and English are two distinct species and we don't share any evolutionary antecedence.

I really hope you're joking.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭IcedOut

Back In the day when I was a young lad we went to Majorca and i was by the pool and this English lad(who was a few years older than me) started on me, saying the usual stupid paddy, f**king irish c*nt etc. Anyway, the second I heard him I turned around and ran at him and rammed him into the pool. Poor lad nearly drowned. His 2 friends then started chasing after me but i managed to get away from them, being the speedy bástard that I am. Didn't wear my Ireland jersey again till we got back home.

Besides him, most English people i've met are sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

Bluefoam wrote: »
    I've never heard an Irish person use the term 'Was a good craic', only non Irish... Is the OP actually Irish?

The correct term would be 'was good craic', 'the craic was good' etc...

ha ? what are you on about ? i'll tell you now last night 'was good craic' i'm dieing now tho :( now thats a fecker getting day long hang overs when you do decide to go on the beer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Deus Ex Machina

I really hope you're joking.

I'm not joking. I'm pretty sure it's been proven scientifically if you'd care to look around....

I'm surprised. I would've assumed that you would call yourself an Ulster-Scot.

Irishness is often a commodity when travelling abroad. However, this was not always the case.

As such, the Irish are deeply concerned with maintaining the generally positive global image that we had nurtured in the late 20th Century.

We just want to distance ourselves from the Punch magazines of the 19th Century.

So you have to make the usual dig about how the whole world hates the English, yet you complain about someone milking the Irish?

You seem to be equally as sensitive to your National image as the Irish are.

cloud493 wrote: »
    I've had loads of people be nasty to me for being English. including some of you lot :(

Then you must be a stickler for masochism with that post count! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement